The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Rebuild

It would be difficult to send Skinner down after all the JR statements but not impossible. It is more likely Skinner moves back to wing if he doesn't stick at center. The kid is going to get every chance to make this team. I could see O'Sullivan moving up to top line but not Skinner. If Cole moves down I think Rutuu moves up. Cole hasn't skated that bad IMO. Sutter has been good and maybe the steadiest player we have right now. TKO too. He always gives you an effort. I think we are going to see a lot of line shifting this season. I would look for the Charlotte Shuttle to begin in November as we try and figure out who we keep and who we don't.

All is not lost, IMO, the season is young and we can't be sure yet how it will turn out but we can say that not much worked right last night.

I love Skinner, but even with that love I think he needs to spend the year developing with the knowledge of 9 NHL games and where he needs to get to. If we can't keep him in the top 2 lines then we are not properly developing the kid. I just don't see a NHL ready kid with his size and strength which is the only thing that might be lacking. Unfortunately with how JR preached he'd keep him here sending him down could also be the wrong thing mentally for him now.

Edited by legend-1

I love Skinner, but even with that love I think he needs to spend the year developing with the knowledge of 9 NHL games and where he needs to get to. If we can't keep him in the top 2 lines then we are not properly developing the kid. I just don't see a NHL ready kid with his size and strength which is the only thing that might be lacking. Unfortunately with how JR preached he'd keep him here sending him down could also be the wrong thing mentally for him now.

That is the dilemma. Keep him even if he isn't ready or send him down and break his confidence. I think we will know in another five games if he is ready. My hunch is that he will be fine.

I think he will be fine after he gets that first goal. He is close to getting it and is the only player that doesn't mind staying infront of the net which is important. The D on opposing teams is picking up on him and hitting him every chance they get. Anyone else noticing this?

........ So, now there's a suggestion that Skinner might just have something left to prove in Juniors. Imagine that. I'll say one thing, if he's left out there with no retribution like he was last night he's better off there. I said it going in this team will be soft. Thus far, it is.

I'm not sure he's got anything left to prove other then getting better. If we can't play him on the top 2 lines then he's not getting enough gametime to develop, then you gotta factor in the higher in the lineup he goes generally the bigger and better the d-men he'll face. Which he just doesn't have the strength for.

I dunno I'm glad it's not my call but I'd send him back down based on we're struggling to get him enough ice time. But that's me. I just don't want another Ladd type thing where Ladd got so used to being on the 3rd line he played like a 3rd liner for us because it was the only role he knew. I think we won the Ruutu trade but I think Ladd playing on the 3rd line gave him the wrong idea for his role in the NHL. Goes to Chicago, gets a more defined role and blossoms.

I'm really reaching on whether he'll play on the 3rd line all year, it's only been 4 games. I'm just saying we got a bad history on prospect development and it scares me.

Edited by legend-1

All I'm saying is if we can't protect him he doesn't need to be here. Alberts, among others, leveled him the other night and not once did we do anything about it. Unacceptable in my opinion. It has nothing to do with his development. Its all about keeping him in one piece.

All I'm saying is if we can't protect him he doesn't need to be here. Alberts, among others, leveled him the other night and not once did we do anything about it. Unacceptable in my opinion. It has nothing to do with his development. Its all about keeping him in one piece.

No one reacted at all when Dwyer got destroyed or Neil took a huge run at Staal in Ottawa. No one reacts when Ward gets run over. And no one reacts when your promising, 18 year old rookie gets blasted. It is a very bad sign when players do not stick up for each other, especially for an 18 year-old kid on your team. Frankly, it is embarrassing and there is no excuse. You don’t have to rush in, drop the gloves, and get your head beat in, but you do have to show that you will stick together out there. If you don’t, word gets around and the problem will get much worse.

I’m sorry, but if this were a different market, the local media would already be calling out the players and coach on something like this.

In regards to whether Skinner should stay for the whole season or not, I’d say that if we are going to play like we don’t care, like wins should just fall into our lap, and without any heart whatsoever, then I’d say send him down.

If he's getting destroyed he's also not developing. Getting your chops handed to you, like smoking, stunts your growth.

Agreed.

No one reacted at all when Dwyer got destroyed or Neil took a huge run at Staal in Ottawa. No one reacts when Ward gets run over. And no one reacts when your promising, 18 year old rookie gets blasted. It is a very bad sign when players do not stick up for each other, especially for an 18 year-old kid on your team. Frankly, it is embarrassing and there is no excuse. You don’t have to rush in, drop the gloves, and get your head beat in, but you do have to show that you will stick together out there. If you don’t, word gets around and the problem will get much worse.

We certainly miss the Scotty Walker type guy in this dressing room. He would have none of this. I agree though, its totally embarrassing, and certainly unacceptable to this fan.

Might be interesting to ponder if some of these guys feel that some of the rookies don't belong in the NHL and won't stick their neck out for them. The lack of on ice chemistry seems like some evidence to at least put it in your thought wagon. Theres some plays you just wonder why guys aren't going the extra mile to make things work expecially along the blueline. We've seen Pits dive to keep a puck in the zone years past, this year we see them go through his five hole.

Absolutely. And we just don't have the enforcers. It's not just going to hurt us on D, it's also going to be an impact in these types of situations. Way too many soft d-men on this squad.

Skinner is staying. The guy is constantly creating scoring chances. He has already shown a complete mastery of scoring at the JR's level. There is little left to learn there. He is currently learning how to up things a notch and score in the NHL and he is right there at the edge of it.

The third line is not a waste. We have talented players on the third line. An 18 year old does not need first or second line minutes to develop. Heck Sutter developed a ton on the 4th line. Given how rookies hit the wall, and he gets beat up, his minutes should be limited for a while.

Now on the sticking up for him, it really depends on if other guys are taking runs at him. If he is getting clean hard NHL hits, you can't drop your gloves every time. My memory is vague, was the Alberts hit dirty? Certainly the guys need to stick up for him if he is getting run. But they can't baby sit him every time he gets a check.

Skinner makes our offense better. He and O'Sullivan are the two surprises that lift my spirits on this el cheapo team that can't even afford to pay a legitimate third line center.

I like Dalpe and Bowman and Tlusty et. all, but none of them have shown an aptitude at creating scoring chances even 1/4 that of Skinner.

Skinner stays, and we are better for it. Even if he is on and off this year. Next year he will be way ahead of where he would have been potting 100 meaningless goals in JR's.

Skinner stays.

Edited by remkin

I really liked the grit Skinner showed me last night. He refused to back down from the physical play and even got into a scrum or two. I have to agree with Remkin, he's right there about to break out. The guy is like a Jack Russell terrier around the net, just tenacious. He scores soon.

I also argree that both Skinner and O'Sullivan make this team better.

IMO!

Skinner plays the way he does always. He does get pushed around a bit however he is always skating and always working out there. Every shift he skates has the drama of what will he do next, he almost always makes a break, a pass or takes a shot from strange angles and I am amazed every time he skates.

Sully's stay on the fourth line works if the other three are productive, he makes that line a threat!

If we can make it through this raod trip around .500 the trip was a success. giving we have LA and PHX to go we should do that without to much problem if they skate and play like they did in SJ.

Hits like the Dwyer hit CAN NOT go un avenged!!!! someone needed to stand up for that, granted he got up fast and was unhurt however you have to make it a point to take care of that style hit if the leaque isn't going to! Dwyer should have fought him on their next shift LOL..

Albert's hit wasn't dirty, just a clean hard NHL hit.

Personally, I don't feel that anyone has taken runs at Skinner, just your normal hard hits. There were a couple of successive hits which might have looked like he is being run, but I don't see it that way at all. To me it's more like a 'compliment' from some irritated NHLers who quickly learned that unless they want to look bad against an 18 year old newbee, they better respect this talent and carefree and tenacious drive to the goal. They could barely handle him when he had the puck and he got under their skin, so they just tried to show their respect in different way, that's all.

I didn't like him getting bullied by two or three guys last night either but . . . I also saw Skinner's lips move quite a bit so I can't honestly say whether he "deserved" some of it or not. Builds character I guess. To me, the main thing is that after he got hit and pushed around by real 'men', he just shook it off and kept going. Yea, he is ready.

No one expects someone to drop the gloves for Skinner on every shift. The Alberts hit was clean, but it just happened to be one of a few really aggressive checks over three periods. The fact remains he still needs some level of protection. I thought putting him with Ruutu and Cole served that purpose. I liked that move by Mo, and that line was pretty good last night.

According to our depth chart with the exception of Skinner on the second line all our young guys have now played their way onto the fourth line. I wonder who sits when Sammy comes back?

That is a good guess. Tlusty should be back from his conditioning stint in less than a week. It should get interesting again.

Edited by OBXer

The odds should be in Tlusty's favor because if I remember right, he is on a one-way contract. This might turn out to be just another numbers game. I doubt JR will pay him 500k to play in Charleotte.

If Tlusty is ready to go I would also expect to see him play in the upcoming week. I think MO likes Tlusty going back to the Toronto days. I'm not implying he will get special treatment only with the one way contract I think he will get a hard look.