The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Rebuild

I dunno but I don't get the best vibes Tlusty is ever gonna stick in the NHL. He wasn't very impressive last season and for 5 games in the AHL he really didn't do anything. 2 pts in 5 games and a -1? Eh....can we keep Sullivan?

Eh....can we keep Sullivan?

Agree. To let a guy with the talent of O'Sullivan go without at least a 10 game top lines tryout would be a big mistake.

Edited by remkin

I dunno but I don't get the best vibes Tlusty is ever gonna stick in the NHL. He wasn't very impressive last season and for 5 games in the AHL he really didn't do anything. 2 pts in 5 games and a -1? Eh....can we keep Sullivan?

I keep waiting to see what we see in Tlusty myself. In a rebuild I think the hard look cuts both ways. With the number of wingers we have you better come to play if you want to be part of this team. Sammy is making a good case for why he should stick. I have high hopes for O'Sullivan but think the final decision is still out on him.

It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see a run of:

Jussi-Staal-O'Sullivan

Skinner-Ruutu-Cole

Sammy-Sutter-LaRose

Tlusty-Dwyer-Kosto

I like Bowman and Dalpe, but maybe a cycle back to the top lines in Charlotte would be good in terms of development, and let O'Sullivan, Sammy, Cole and Tlusty prove what they have.

If 10 games in O'Sullivan is not earning his keep, then fine, send him down. But not now.

The way LaRose is playing it will be tough to get him off the first line. TKO has also played pretty well on the third line. I would also like to see O'Sullivan top six for an extended number of games. I do think Dalpe and Bowman might get sent down for a while. But I'm not sure we won't bring someone up from Charlotte when that happens. Right now the team is playing well so I don't expect a lot of changes right away.

I agree we shouldn't change anything, I was just pointing out that Tlusty has a lot to prove and possibly a lot more then Sully.

But until it's broke you don't fix it.

I can only believe O'Sullivan's two-way play is not where Mo wants it. I'm not advocating him being taken out of the lineup or sent to Charlotte but that's the only way I can explain what's being done with him. Or maybe Mo just doesn't like him, who knows. There sure hasn't been much said about it, one way or the other. But, the team looked fine without him the other night, right?

As far as Tlusty, if the team wasn't high on him, why did they sign him to a one-way deal? I would have to think he's gonna get a look sooner than later. Somebody at left wing is going to find themselves without a chair.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Bowman and Dalpe will get sent down if Tlusvy(sp?) works out. mastasuumo or whatever his name is is also making a strong name for himself in the minors. But then again Dwyer adds a lot of energy to the team and I am really like his all around game. He has impressed me in all aspects of the game so far.

IMO, We need to get someone if not 2 players that have some grit to them.We get pushed all over the ice (year after year after year). Yes Gleason is tough but he has alot of responsiblity now with the "A" on his jersey.Harrison will fight but not very well. I'm not saying we need a "GOON" but we do need someone that demands respect on the ice. If you hit our "C" or our goalie you will pay the price! We have a few guys that would make a nice package deal for a team that has a solid enforcer type player. We have young speedy guys that need to know that someone has their back!! We don't need to wait until we get a few guys injuried because of big hits with no retaliation from the team. Even this year when we seem to have a small bit of grit the team seems to play better as an entire team. Its just part of hockey,,and we are lacking that extra bit of edge/physical play game to game to game...

Folks, it is simple math...Dalpe & Bowman are on two way deals, & do not have to clear waivers. Both players have played well, but at least one & maybe both will be sent down when Tlusty comes back up. Sully will not be sent down unless we are looking to get rid of him because he would have to clear waivers(Hint: He will not clear).

IMO I think both Dalpe & Bowman will be sent down to get heavy amounts of ice time in Charlotte. I really like both players, but now that the super long road trip is done the Canes can afford to send the youngsters down with a healthy forward roster. Then both Tlusty & Sully will get inserted into the line up. If both play well then fine...If not then rotate a couple of youngsters up from Charlotte.

This is the whole reason the Canes push the Checkers owner into the AHL. Player movement will be ten times easier.

Folks, it is simple math...Dalpe & Bowman are on two way deals, & do not have to clear waivers. Both players have played well, but at least one & maybe both will be sent down when Tlusty comes back up. Sully will not be sent down unless we are looking to get rid of him because he would have to clear waivers(Hint: He will not clear).

IMO I think both Dalpe & Bowman will be sent down to get heavy amounts of ice time in Charlotte. I really like both players, but now that the super long road trip is done the Canes can afford to send the youngsters down with a healthy forward roster. Then both Tlusty & Sully will get inserted into the line up. If both play well then fine...If not then rotate a couple of youngsters up from Charlotte.

This is the whole reason the Canes push the Checkers owner into the AHL. Player movement will be ten times easier.

Agreed. It was made clear in the off season that players would shuttle between Charlotte and Raleigh and be rotated periodically to give the young players a chance with the big club, while not over using or pushing them too fast.

It'll be all about the money until someone gets injured. With the Checkers just 2 1/2 hours away, there's no reason to be paying someone on a two way to sit in the press box unless they have to go through waivers and we could lose them. Not to mention Charlotte could use the help as much as the 2-way player needs the ice time. Unfortunately these roster issues sort themselves out with injuries most of the time.

I can't see how both Tlusty and OS go into the lineup, unless Bowman goes to Charlotte and Sammy is scratched. I don't believe Sammy is going to get scratched now that he is healthy.

If both Bowman & Dalpe go to Charlotte then you don't need to scratch Sammy to insert both Tlusty & Sully. Granted we would not have a healthy extra forward in the press box, but a call up could be in Raleigh in less than 3 hours.

So, why send Dalpe down? He's a center, and is he playing at a level that he needs to go down? Or, do we just send him down for more icetime? I can't see the logic.

Like rocheccw, its all about making room for Tlusty and O'Sullivan without having to scratch Samsonov. We are thin at center but they'll know whether Tlusty is ready by Tuesday, they can even wait till Wed morning if they still want to call someone up. My guess is that Dalpe would get to stay if came down one or the other.

If both Bowman & Dalpe go to Charlotte then you don't need to scratch Sammy to insert both Tlusty & Sully. Granted we would not have a healthy extra forward in the press box, but a call up could be in Raleigh in less than 3 hours.

I'd like to see your lineup if that's the case. Currently the depth chart and lines look like this:

Jokinen-Staal-LaRose

Skinner-Ruutu-Cole

Samsonov-Sutter-KStop

Bowman-Dalpe-Dwyer

I don't see Dwyer going anywhere, and I don't see Sammy playing on the fourth line. So how do you get a center for the fourth line out of 2 left wings? It would have to be Dwyer, unless you call up Matsumoto or some other Checker center.

So, why send Dalpe down? He's a center, and is he playing at a level that he needs to go down? Or, do we just send him down for more icetime? I can't see the logic.

I am a huge fan of Dalpe, and do not want to see him sent down. But I would rather him get a lot of ice time in Charlotte than him see the press box in Raleigh.

People were posting about both Tulsty, & Sully getting in the line up for several games to show if the belong. Sending both Bowman & Dalpe down would accomplish this line up change.

Although, I would personally leave Tulsty in the press box, and Dalpe on the ice for the Canes.

Edited by rocheccw

Like rocheccw, its all about making room for Tlusty and O'Sullivan without having to scratch Samsonov. We are thin at center but they'll know whether Tlusty is ready by Tuesday, they can even wait till Wed morning if they still want to call someone up. My guess is that Dalpe would get to stay if came down one or the other.

Not trying to be hard-headed here, but you can't make room for both of them and not scratch Sammy. Unless you keep Dalpe, play Dwyer at center, or call up someone to play center. Again, I'd like to see your lineup based upon your comments.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'd like to see your lineup if that's the case. Currently the depth chart and lines look like this:

Jokinen-Staal-LaRose

Skinner-Ruutu-Cole

Samsonov-Sutter-KStop

Bowman-Dalpe-Dwyer

I don't see Dwyer going anywhere, and I don't see Sammy playing on the fourth line. So how do you get a center for the fourth line out of 2 left wings? It would have to be Dwyer, unless you call up Matsumoto or some other Checker center.

I would not like this but here it goes:

Jokinen-Staal-LaRose

Skinner-Ruutu-Cole

Samsonov-Sutter-Sully

Tlusty-Dwyer-KStop

Not a fan of this line up, but that is how you insert Tlusty, & Sully into the current lines.

Jokinen-Staal-LaRose

Skinner-Ruutu-Cole

Samsonov-Sutter-Sully

Tlusty-Dwyer-KStop

Not a fan of this line up, but that is how you insert Tlusty, & Sully into the current lines.

That just doesn't make sense to me, but I didn't want Rosey on the first line. :o I see how that turned out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Not trying to be hard-headed here, but you can't make room for both of them and not scratch Sammy. Unless you keep Dalpe, play Dwyer at center, or call up someone to play center. Again, I'd like to see your lineup based upon your comments.

I could't even speculate but sending both Bowman and Dalpe down would clear spots for Tlusty and O'Sullivan. The real issue imo is where to put them which is why I couldn't even make a guess until we see what the next practice or two looks like. We have several players that can play both wing and center though I'd rather have a natural center playing that position.

Psst: the depth chart isn't current and probably won't be until Wed.

Jokinen-Staal-LaRose

Skinner-Ruutu-Cole

Samsonov-Sutter-Sully

Tlusty-Dwyer-KStop

I could see those lines at least being decent. Would make way for a Larose/Sully flip-flop is their play dictated such a move.

Jokinen-Staal-LaRose

Skinner-Ruutu-Cole

Samsonov-Sutter-Sully

Tlusty-Dwyer-KStop

Doesn't look unreasonable to me either.

I could't even speculate but sending both Bowman and Dalpe down would clear spots for Tlusty and O'Sullivan. The real issue imo is where to put them which is why I couldn't even make a guess until we see what the next practice or two looks like. We have several players that can play both wing and center though I'd rather have a natural center playing that position.

Psst: the depth chart isn't current and probably won't be until Wed.

I pay no attention to that depth chart you refer to, it reflects nothing but the current lines most of the time. But it doesn't change the fact OS is a left wing, that he prefers it there, and has said the same. Left wing is the logjam, and makes line changes difficult when you are trying to jam 2 of them in the lineup with no room at that position. Has nothing to do with Dalpe (he's a center).

I pay no attention to that depth chart you refer to, it reflects nothing but the current lines most of the time. But it doesn't change the fact OS is a left wing, that he prefers it there, and has said the same. Left wing is the logjam, and makes line changes difficult when you are trying to jam 2 of them in the lineup with no room at that position. Has nothing to do with Dalpe (he's a center).

Sending Dalpe with his 2-way contract to Charlotte opens up a roster spot. No, it doesn't solve the center position issue but at least it opens up an option and they have 2 days to see how this sorts itself out. Also, Tlusty is listed as a center on the roster so I'm assuming he's played the center position once or twice.

Sutter got the day off today from practice to heal, there's always the chance he won't be ready to go Wednesday (I doubt that) which could open up yet another spot and keep Dalpe here. Too many possibilities and days off to speculate imo.