OBXer

The Rebuild

Having depth is fun.

Personally I would like these lines:

Jokinen-Staal-Ruutu

Skinner-Sutter-Cole

Samsonov-Dalpe-LaRose

Bowman-Dwyer-KStop

Scratch: Tlusty, & Sully(no point in putting him in if he can't be in the top 9)

Of course, I would put Carson in, & scratch Harrison as well...

Depth is a wonderful thing...unfortunately most of our depth at forward is with too many 3rd / 4th line forwards...who have to play on the 1st / 2nd line. I'm not a fan of LaRose on the 1st line, but he has played well there the last few games.

I pay no attention to that depth chart you refer to, it reflects nothing but the current lines most of the time. But it doesn't change the fact OS is a left wing, that he prefers it there, and has said the same. Left wing is the logjam, and makes line changes difficult when you are trying to jam 2 of them in the lineup with no room at that position. Has nothing to do with Dalpe (he's a center).

O'Sullivan may prefer left wing to center, but he seemlessly transitions between left and right wing. He has played both and has said in the past it doesn't matter where he plays. His ability to do this makes it nice for coaches, but he also ends up being the first consideration to move from line to line when there are holes to fill on teams due to his easy adjustment on either side.

Ultimately we're going to need to trade someone. For a minute there trade rumors flickered, but seem to have died down. Still, we have too many wingers. Moving Ruutu to center seems to help some. But at some point we have to make room for ducklings and let our prospects see ice.

Still, I think there is value to a mix of experience for guys like Dalpe and Bowman. There is value in seeing NHL speed, skill and intensity, and trying to score on NHL goalies, even if it is from limited ice time on the checking/cycling 4th line. But there is also value to working on some pure offense and playing more minutes at the AHL level. It would seem that shuttling back and forth could actually be ideal in some ways. Not to mention that there are other guys to look at, namely whoever is starting to show chops in Charlotte (ie: Boychuk has 4g and 7 pts in 8 games, Samson is off and scoring again, etc.).

Until one of these guys shows breakout skills (like, oh Skinner has), they should shuttle while things settle.

Ultimately we need to figure out which of Cole/Sammy/O'Sullivan/Tlusty are keepers. And you know that I REALLY think we need to look hard at Sully. I frown upon any line up that does not have him at least in the top 9 in the near term.

Once this is sorted out look for someone of those 4 to be moved.

Edited by remkin

Ultimately we need to figure out which of Cole/Sammy/O'Sullivan/Tlusty are keepers. And you know that I REALLY think we need to look hard at Sully. I frown upon any line up that does not have him at least in the top 9 in the near term.

Once this is sorted out look for someone of those 4 to be moved.

Other than to throw Cole out of the conversation of the four players you mentioned, I think when it's all said and done that's certainly the dilemna we face. It's a logjam at wing and something has to give. But at some point, we need some consistency in our top-3 lines.

I will say this, OS might have a strike against him with that 2-way. The el-cheapo factor again - the team may not be willing to pay a guy like Tlusty an NHL salary in Charlotte. Haven't we all ready seen that with the Harrison-Carson situation? And,I'm still not so sure Mo likes his defensive game. Something is going on there that nobody with the team will talk about.

I know its all speculation at this point, but its still fun to do so.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Looks like its the hot topic of discussion in the front office too.

From Paul's TTS blog:

Things begin to get complicated after that, with O’Sullivan, who enjoyed a strong training camp and scored the team’s lone goal in Vancouver after his first game on the sidelines, also making some claims for a spot. In addition, Jiri Tlusty is expected to return from his two-week conditioning stint in Charlotte no later than Tuesday.

With so many young players, not all of whom can be assigned to Charlotte without having to clear waivers, the Canes will have to vigilant with the distribution of ice time.

“Unless we’re on a really good roll, I’m sure we won’t leave a lot of the young guys out for any stretch of time,” said Maurice. “Then there will be players who are playing fine but not getting enough minutes to warrant them staying the whole year and not getting some games, and there are guys in Charlotte that are going to push for those jobs.”

Full blog article here

Chip tweeted:

Quote "As for questions on whether Canes still might return Skinner to junior, Rutherford says, "That's not part of the conversation anymore."

That should put an end to any Skinner speculation although i think most of us had already come to that conclusion. Still until someone like JR says it you are never sure. The other upcoming decisions won't be so easy.

I watch the show last night call "Oil Change" on NHL network. It followed the Oilers through the 2010 draft combine / player interviews, & scout meetings.

At one point the scouts were talking about this kid who they would want to jump back in the top 10 to grab. Talked about how much he scored, & in how many different ways he scored. They talk a lot about how much good character this kid has in him.

One scout said he would not be surprise that when people looked back at the 2010 draft that this player not only would be labeled the steal of the draft, but possible the best player to come out of the 2010 draft.

They never named him, but it sure sounded like Skinner to me.

Skinner is here to stay. :excl:

Can't wait for the Pens game!

Jiri Tlusty officially recalled today:

Canes Recall Jiri Tlusty from Conditioning Stint

Forward earned two points in five games with AHL’s Charlotte Checkers

Tuesday, 10.26.2010 / 9:06 AM/ Blog

By Paul Branecky

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Jiri Tlusty (YIH-ree T’LOO-stee) from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Tlusty notched one goal and earned one assist (2 points) in five games with the Checkers after being assigned there on Oct. 12, for a two-week conditioning stint.

So who's going down....my money is on Bowman?

Jiri Tlusty officially recalled today:

Canes Recall Jiri Tlusty from Conditioning Stint

Forward earned two points in five games with AHL’s Charlotte Checkers

Tuesday, 10.26.2010 / 9:06 AM/ Blog

By Paul Branecky

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Jiri Tlusty (YIH-ree T’LOO-stee) from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Tlusty notched one goal and earned one assist (2 points) in five games with the Checkers after being assigned there on Oct. 12, for a two-week conditioning stint.

So who's going down....my money is on Bowman?

Bowman.

Matsumoto has been recalled. Bowman and Dalpe have been sent to Charlotte. Keep the Charlotte to Raleigh shuttle fueled up.

I would guess Matsumoto will make his NHL debut on Monday against Philly and center the fourth line. Then again MO might have other plans.

Edited by OBXer

Matsumoto has been recalled. Bowman and Dalpe have been sent to Charlotte. Keep the Charlotte to Raleigh shuttle fueled up.

I would guess Matsumoto will make his NHL debut on Monday against Philly and center the fourth line. Then again MO might have other plans.

Hmmm. He did put up some good numbers down there. Boychuk has been scoring, but the old +/- not so hot.

I think the shuttle will end up being a good thing.

THAT would be interesting! First game in the NHL against his old team. We'll see if he actually plays.

BTW, anyone see his official picture? The guy needs a new barber. :)

8473444.jpg

Hmmm. He did put up some good numbers down there. Boychuk has been scoring, but the old +/- not so hot.

I think the shuttle will end up being a good thing.

I think he deserves a shot. He has played well in Charlotte. i wonder how well he does on face-offs Bowman and Dalpe need some better ice time and should get it in Charlotte. I think Boychuk will get another shot soon if Tlusty and/or O'Sullivan don't work out. I hope O'Sullivan gets a few games in a row to show what he can do.

Another NHL season, another Paul Maurice coached team hoping for .500. Nobody can be surprised - when you employ a coach who has demonstrated over the course of more than a decade he's a .500 coach, .500 is about what you're going to get if everything goes well. I've no clue what our team identity is. I've no clue what we're trying to do on offense. Are we a dump/chase team? Dumping and chasing with our forechecking is completely useless. We're clearly not a physically imposing team. Are we an up and down skating team? Clearly not - Tampa is quite literally skating circles around us these days, just a couple of years removed from being awful. Are we a shut down defensive team? Again, clearly not.

What's frustrating is that this is entirely 100% predictable. This is Paul Maurice hockey. It's not apparent what we're trying to rebuild toward, not apparent what our team identity is. We just go out, skate around a bit, and hope the puck finds the back of the net. If we win, YAY! It we lose, that's OK too. We'll just get right back out there tomorrow and do it all over again. What exactly that "it" that we're trying to do remains completely elusive, but we'll continue to do "it" night in and night out and hope for the best.

What I would like to know is just what happened to the rebuild? Aside from Skinner and McBain, no one else has really got a sniff of anything but the fourth line. If things go south, I hope we don't waste the whole season waiting for the eventual firesale at the trade deadline of potentially anybody not named Staal, Skinner, Sutter, Gleason and Ward.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I guess a potential trade is all part of a rebuild. ESPN is saying the Kings could be looking for a winger and are hinting "Canes Samsonov could be a good fit"

Spector's Hockey is saying the same from The Buffalo News

Edited by OBXer

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I guess a potential trade is all part of a rebuild. ESPN is saying the Kings could be looking for a winger and are hinting "Canes Samsonov could be a good fit"

Spector's Hockey is saying the same from The Buffalo News

Hmmmm. When it came to trades I've predicted the Russians would go. Half of that is done, this would be the other half. What we we get in such a deal?

Hmmmm. When it came to trades I've predicted the Russians would go. Half of that is done, this would be the other half. What we we get in such a deal?

What do we get? Not much. Jimmy frees up more salary, and opens a slot for someone.

I'd expect not much more than some AHL fodder or a low draft pick in return....4th round maybe.

What do we get? Not much. Jimmy frees up more salary, and opens a slot for someone.

I'd expect not much more than some AHL fodder or a low draft pick in return....4th round maybe.

Well its only a rumor so it may not happen. But lets say the rumor is correct and that you are correct on a Samsonov return. You get a 4th round and you get 2.8 million (or a portion ) in salary savings to go shopping.I like Sammy and still think he has a lot of good hockey left. I'm not sure that he fits our team or rebuild so there could be something to this rumor.

I don't see this as a rebuilding year. Seems more like just wishful thinking by our GM who brough in a few new faces to make the team younger and cheaper and is hoping that all the guys with expiring contracts with step up to give him a chance at some extra play-off revenue. Meanwhile, the owner can save some big bucks and at the same time make the team attractive enough to lure in a new partner or owner.

To me, the real rebuild won't happen until next year when JR, Mo or whomever will be running this place, knows how much money will be available and what they want to do with the ten UFAs and fourteen RFAs before the season is over. At first I thought JR painted himself into a corner with all those contracts but the more I think about it, I get the impression that it has all been in the works for quite some time.

If our guys can't get a couple of win streaks together soon in the playoff hunt, I expect a nasty fire sale this club has never seen before.