The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Rebuild

really don't understand the "rotating winger with Staal" concept. how does this help the Canes develop more than one scoring line?

I don't see this as a rebuilding year. Seems more like just wishful thinking by our GM who brough in a few new faces to make the team younger and cheaper and is hoping that all the guys with expiring contracts with step up to give him a chance at some extra play-off revenue. Meanwhile, the owner can save some big bucks and at the same time make the team attractive enough to lure in a new partner or owner.

To me, the real rebuild won't happen until next year when JR, Mo or whomever will be running this place, knows how much money will be available and what they want to do with the ten UFAs and fourteen RFAs before the season is over. At first I thought JR painted himself into a corner with all those contracts but the more I think about it, I get the impression that it has all been in the works for quite some time.

If our guys can't get a couple of win streaks together soon in the playoff hunt, I expect a nasty fire sale this club has never seen before.

Holy cow! Out of the 21 man roster, only 8 players are under full contract after this season. Of the 8 players, Staal, Ruutu, Skinner, Gleason, Corvo, McBain, Peters and Cam have all been identified as the core of this team moving forward (with the exception of Peters).

4 more will need RFA contracts including Brandon Sutter (who could be susceptible to an offer sheet) and the rest are all UFA's. How did I not notice this before, yikes. That certainly puts things in a different light. Unless some of the Checkers will be making their way up to Raleigh, the true rebuild will be next season.

We really need to see some of the Checkers players up here to begin to start sorting out who could be ready to make the jump and who needs more time in Charlotte.

To me, the real rebuild won't happen until next year when JR, Mo or whomever will be running this place, knows how much money will be available and what they want to do with the ten UFAs and fourteen RFAs before the season is over. At first I thought JR painted himself into a corner with all those contracts but the more I think about it, I get the impression that it has all been in the works for quite some time.

If our guys can't get a couple of win streaks together soon in the playoff hunt, I expect a nasty fire sale this club has never seen before.

If your right and I suspect you are it will mean another year of uncertain hockey in Raleigh. I was hoping for a 3 year rebuild counting the last half of last season as part of that. Now we could face another two to three years of teams that might make the playoff if they play real hard and get lucky. This could be a couple of seasons that will test our fan base. I keep hoping JR has a better plan than I can,t see at the moment.

really don't understand the "rotating winger with Staal" concept. how does this help the Canes develop more than one scoring line?

What a message to send to the team. We don't have the talent to dress a number one line. We don't have the talent to dress more than one line. Individual talent, yes. Team talent no. I can't imagine what our players must be thinking.

Edited by OBXer

What a message to send to the team. We don't have the talent to dress a number one line. We don't have the talent to dress more than one line. Individual talent, yes. Team talent no. I can't imagine what our players must be thinking.

Its a pretty big admission by the front office that they left a gaping hole in the line up (which is not exactly news to anyone) . I bet they thought someone would step up and be able to at least be an adequate fill in but the message is clear that no one has, at least not enough to make a difference. Maybe they're trying to push buttons and see if they get a little more out of some of these contract year guys but to me, it sounds a little desperate. I'd love to know what Eric Staal is thinking.....

Anyone from the outside reading this would think the only talent/player we have to put on the ice night in and night out is Eric Staal.... Please tell me that is not the case. I know I don't know much about the game but WHY are we always talking about a "winger for Staal" :deadhorse: Is it really that simple or is this just where we need to start? Who would be the "perfect winger" and if we had that "perfect winger" would this team be rippin it up? Shouldn't we be "rebuilding" a TEAM and looking for all the pieces that would fit and do that? Does anyone besides me think maybe the "team" we are putting on the ice is just not built for the "system" they are being expected to play...Which brings me to the next point...WTH system are we playing...Oh and 1 more thing when your PP sucks it up for 2 years except for brief flashes of brilliance shouldn't someone be calling for a reality check and a "system" change...Ok I'm done LOL

Anyone from the outside reading this would think the only talent/player we have to put on the ice night in and night out is Eric Staal.... Please tell me that is not the case. I know I don't know much about the game but WHY are we always talking about a "winger for Staal" :deadhorse: Is it really that simple or is this just where we need to start? Who would be the "perfect winger" and if we had that "perfect winger" would this team be rippin it up? Shouldn't we be "rebuilding" a TEAM and looking for all the pieces that would fit and do that? Does anyone besides me think maybe the "team" we are putting on the ice is just not built for the "system" they are being expected to play...Which brings me to the next point...WTH system are we playing...Oh and 1 more thing when your PP sucks it up for 2 years except for brief flashes of brilliance shouldn't someone be calling for a reality check and a "system" change...Ok I'm done LOL

Good questions and perhaps why the dead horse keeps getting beaten. What is the system and do we even have the right pieces to play it? During the Cup year, Laviolette laid out his system and JR went and found the players that fit it well. Maurice seems to be adapting his system (almost game to game) to fit the players we currently have on the roster. Maybe I'm just missing something?

Maurice seems to be adapting his system (almost game to game) to fit the players we currently have on the roster. Maybe I'm just missing something?

It's not YOU that's missing something........trust me.

My questiom is not worthy of a seperate thread, but how important are the upcoming road trips? It seems the Canes could spilt the two games beteen the Stars and the Blues but need to sweep the games with the Trash and the Kitty-Kats. The Canes are closer to the bottom of the division than they are to the top. While the Canes aren't sinking like a rock, they are headed in the wrong direction. Other than having Staal as our first-line center, the message being sent to the other players seems to be just to go out for a shift and pick the position you want to play.

Edited by colliefan

I said many moons ago that the Canes would get even younger next year, and I'm sticking to it. I can't see Sammy, or Cole getting resigned unless they take a big discount. We may not be able to afford Pits. I think the Canes will try to resign Juice, LaRose, Dwyer, Carter, & White. They should be able to resign both Sutters(RFA), & Bodie. Not sure if they will try to sign Tulsty, or Harrison.

I really think if the Canes can't get North of .500 by the all star break, then we will see the 2nd straight year of selling off UFA for picks & prospects. Biggest prize would probably be Pitkanen.

At some point I would love to see Boychuk, Samson, Osala, Rodney, Dalpe, Nash, Mats, Sangs, & Carson get some time up with the Canes. Maybe on some type of rotation, once some room has been opened up.

Just my .02 cents!!!

At some point I would love to see Boychuk, Samson, Osala, Rodney, Dalpe, Nash, Mats, Sangs, & Carson get some time up with the Canes. Maybe on some type of rotation, once some room has been opened up.

In an attempt to increase fan interest, how about having a progam called "Skating with Staal" where fans can vote on the players they want brought up from the Checkers?

In an attempt to increase fan interest, how about having a progam called "Skating with Staal" where fans can vote on the players they want brought up from the Checkers?

I like it. :rofl: I think we will see more of the Checkers but not sure when.

:spin:

Sounds like the making of another bad reality TV show, but sadly I like it.

The real sad thing about rotating wingers on the 1st line is that we just admitted that we currently have no 1st line wingers with 1st line talent! :kleenex:

Edited by rocheccw

As long as we don't become the Islanders south. How many decades has that team been rebuilding?

Edited by OBXer

You know, I'm not a huge Paul Maurice fan. But this year's Canes team doesn't look like the usual Paul Maurice hockey team. Not saying it's better, not saying it's worse, but it certainly is different. I don't really like Paul Maurice, but I'm not a "Mo Must Go" chanter just yet. I can't really blame him personally for the team's struggles. I thought the team would struggle far more than they have to score goals. But on the flipside, they've struggled keeping goals from being scored. I guess if you have your choice, I'd like to see more goals scored.

But for as much as we all talk about a first line winger, and The Canes need one, there's almost no mention of the fact that The Canes have no bonafide #1 Franchise Defenseman. Gleason is the closest to this, but he's really not on the level of a Pronger/Chara and granted, not many players are. But this will be magnified if JR trades Pitkanen or lets him walk in the offseason. Love him or hate him, Pitkanen eats up a lot of minutes for The Canes on the blueline. Personally, I think McBain was suppose to be a replacement for Pitkanen when JR couldn't afford him any more, but I think he has second thoughts now.

It's not YOU that's missing something........trust me.

Even though I wasn't a big fan of bringing Maurice back, I can't really pin all of this on him. If he's adapting his system to the players each game it may be because he doesn't have all the right pieces and that JR didn't fill the roster with players that would fit the system. Maybe certain players were expected to fill certain roles and for whatever reason they either didn't play up to expectations, had injuries that limited their season or maybe didn't develop at the pace originally thought.

Any of this could have contributed to where the Canes are today but I think JR over estimated his aging group of vets 2 years too late and because he didn't sell off some of the older pieces earlier like he did last season to make room for the up and coming younger players, the team got very old very quickly and had no chance of competing with some of the younger up and coming teams. That really set this team back imo and since the money isn't there to sign the big free agents, it'll just take some time to get where we all want them to be.

He started the process last spring but it may take another trade deadline purge to get this team closer to where it needs to be, as long as there aren't any ownership issues standing in the way.

You know, I'm not a huge Paul Maurice fan. But

The rebuild results seem to be stuck at roughly .500 and I don't see much chance of it getting much better than that with Maurice at the helm. After 1000 games, his entire coaching career results continue to be stuck at just below .500 ! What makes anyone think he can suddenly be better. He's basically a mediocre leader with 50/50 results.

He and unfortunately his fellow assist coaches are doing just as JR tells them to do, and you see the variable results ... another season below .500 and 2 or 3 spots out of the playoffs.

The coaching staff needs to either begin to lead this team in a specific direction, with a specific game plan and on-ice style or be fired. Everytime I hear Mo talk about "the team needs confidence" I wonder why the hell he doesn't see building that confidence as being the key part of his job. I'm so sick and tired of his lack of confidence excuses. He sure hasn't built any confidence in me as a fan !

The rebuild results seem to be stuck at roughly .500 and I don't see much chance of it getting much better than that with Maurice at the helm. After 1000 games, his entire coaching career results continue to be stuck at just below .500 ! What makes anyone think he can suddenly be better. He's basically a mediocre leader with 50/50 results.

He and unfortunately his fellow assist coaches are doing just as JR tells them to do, and you see the variable results ... another season below .500 and 2 or 3 spots out of the playoffs.

The coaching staff needs to either begin to lead this team in a specific direction, with a specific game plan and on-ice style or be fired. Everytime I hear Mo talk about "the team needs confidence" I wonder why the hell he doesn't see building that confidence as being the key part of his job. I'm so sick and tired of his lack of confidence excuses. He sure hasn't built any confidence in me as a fan !

I agree on Maurice, but once again, I don't see this years Canes team as a typical Paul Maurice hockey team, maybe it's because Francis is there? Maurice was re-hired because he's JR's buddy and he takes orders very well, in contrast to Laviolette. I could go on and on about why Paul Maurice isn't the man for the job. But, the fact of the matter is, as long as The Canes are close to .500, he isn't going anywhere. And, I love how people talk about Laviolette's "cheesy" system in 06. But, I don't think anyone has a problem bringing up Staal's 100 point season, or oh yeah, the Stanley Cup.

This team is soft defensively. Harrison is SLOW, and McBain is suprisingly weak defensively. He's decent positionally, but gets knocked around a lot. The way I see it, only 4 of the six Canes blueliners actually belong in the NHL. To me, that means 1/3 of the defense is AHL caliber. The team desperately needs a top line winger. But I think $8 million would be better served rebuilding the defense (again) than spent on a single winger. I understand JR's frustration, defenseman salary is high around the league (hence why Pitkanen is NOT overpaid), making it difficult to make moves or sign defensemen. This team could definately be a playoff team if they shore up their blueline.

If during a rebuilding season, the best the team could achieve is a .500 record, the team has met its expectations. As fans, are we expecting an ECF finals team when it will be lucky to make the playoffs?

If during a rebuilding season, the best the team could achieve is a .500 record, the team has met its expectations. As fans, are we expecting an ECF finals team when it will be lucky to make the playoffs?

Not for me. If the team can make a solid run for a playoff spot I would consider this rebuild year a success. If they get into the playoff they will exceed my expectations and it would be icing on the cake. A .500 team is just not good enough, even in a rebuilding year.

Agreed. All things considered (talent, schedule, etc.) this team is slowly improving, even if the record doesn't show it. The defense has slightly improved, and the PK has also been better over the last several games.

The schedule is stacked for a late season run, and this team has shown the tendency over the last couple of seasons to come on late, so it's hard to predict what will happen. But if you look around, some key teams usually below us have improved, and a couple of others (Toronto and NJ) with arguably better talent are still lurking behind us. If you look at the West you realize where we really are - tied with Edmonton, 26th overall. In the conference, 8th is 8 points away, though we do have games in hand. And good grief, Florida is ahead of us now.

As much as this year is a rebuild, next year looks to be even more so with all the contracts expiring next summer. That is where the real future of this team for the next few years will be decided.

One of these years JR will actually do a rebuild and you guys will have a new appreciation for that word. I'm glad that this is the worst we've seen that we think this is a "rebuild"

The years after Lemiuex retired in Pittsburgh, thats a rebuild. Chicago going from a joke to a top contender, thats a rebuild.

My expectations are to play to win.

I pay for a ticket for every home game and YES ... I expect the team to approach EVERY GAME to WIN IT.

And YES ... every season my expectation is to reach the ECFs. If I only expected mediocre or less, I'd have Carolina Panthers season tix.

My expectations are to play to win. I pay for a ticket for every home game and YES ... I expect the team to approach EVERY GAME to WIN IT. And YES ... every season my expectation is to reach the ECFs. If I only expected mediocre or less, I'd have Carolina Panthers season tix.

Regardless of the talent level of the team, I expect that, as pros, they play every shift as if it was their last. This attitude will produce the occasional "Miracle on Ice." But as a realist, I know that given the talent in the NHL, the Canes making the conference finals isn't a realistic expectation.

Where I get frustrated is continued defensive lapses and the seeming inability to learn from mistakes. For me, learning from one's mistakes is a reasonable expectation. It is true for a player in the pros and an individual in the game of life.