The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Rebuild

The thing is, as it is right now the semi rebuild has a rather hard emphasis on "semi". The vast majority of our prospects are still in Charlotte.

Particularly up front, only 1 of our top 9 is a pure prospect (Skinner) and only 3/9 are either very new or rookies (Sutter/Skinner/Dwyer). And while I like Dwyer's game, he has not been on of those high value prospects we've been waiting to see breakout.

On the back we have McBain and Harrison. McBain has been struggling, but will be good long term in my opinion. Harrison, well he's Harrison.

Full on rebuild as some have pointed out, would be to clear the decks and start over and .500 would seem like a blessing. But there is an in between. Put a little more of the "rebuild" into the semi-rebuild.

Find a way to clear a couple of guys off the top 9 and let some prospects get a real chance.

Ironically, our amazing and uncharacteristic lack of injuries has been part of the issue in that regard, in that no injuries has made it hard to find time in the top 9 for anyone, well not previously in the top 9.

At the very least one or both of Cole/Sammy should be moved at some point to open things up for our prospects and get some new blood to mix with the vets. I would move Sammy and I'm convinced JR is trying to do that. That would still leave LaRose/Staal/Ruutu/Cole/Jokinenn/Sutter as a core with Skinner clearly belonging as well. I would move Dwyer down to the 4th line starting now and put Tlusty on the third. Then bring up at least one top forward prospect.

Staal

Ruutu

Skinner

Cole

Jokinen

LaRose

Tlusty

Boychuk

Sutter

As the top 9. Now at least 4 of our top 9 are legit young guns/prospects.

As to Maurice, I am very much on the fence. On at least two occasions he has taken teams of average talent deep into the playoffs. Also, his teams tend to improve as the year goes on. There is no way he's going anywhere this year, but if this team does not improve and take advantage of the schedule and at least make a decent run at the playoffs, that would be different.

Despite the tremendous annoyance at me for pointing it out, in this parity driven league, we have been handed a first three months from hell. For now I keep the faith. If this team goes on a serious slide in December, or doesn't start showing something very positive by the middle of January, I'll start to worry.

Edited by remkin

I think we are beginning to see the transition into the "new look" Canes. With Boychuck, Dalpe, Dwyer getting more quality ice time and Matsumoto getting another look I think we are getting an idea on who are future will be. Skinner is already here to stay. McBain has been playing better and Carson is getting a chance. The addition of White,Carter and Bodie have been positive moves but with the exception of White I'm not sure what long term plans we have for Carter and Bodie.

Next will be to begin to move veterans that won't fit in next season without sacrificing a chance for this years playoff hopes.I expect some moves to come soon while others will wait to season end. We will also see what happens when Pitkanen and Jokinen return from injury. There isn't room for everyone. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carson and Dalpe returned to Charlotte for a while.

Much of the rebuild appears to be taking place at the AHL level. I expect we will see some prospects moved as part of deals as we determine who will be ready in the short term, long term and those that don't fit our plans.

I think or maybe just hope that we are seeing the beginnings of a very good team in our near future.

I think we are beginning to see the transition into the "new look" Canes. With Boychuck, Dalpe, Dwyer getting more quality ice time and Matsumoto getting another look I think we are getting an idea on who are future will be. Skinner is already here to stay. McBain has been playing better and Carson is getting a chance. The addition of White,Carter and Bodie have been positive moves but with the exception of White I'm not sure what long term plans we have for Carter and Bodie.

Next will be to begin to move veterans that won't fit in next season without sacrificing a chance for this years playoff hopes.I expect some moves to come soon while others will wait to season end. We will also see what happens when Pitkanen and Jokinen return from injury. There isn't room for everyone. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carson and Dalpe returned to Charlotte for a while.

Much of the rebuild appears to be taking place at the AHL level. I expect we will see some prospects moved as part of deals as we determine who will be ready in the short term, long term and those that don't fit our plans.

I think or maybe just hope that we are seeing the beginnings of a very good team in our near future.

I really hope that Dalpe, Boychuk and even eventually Tlusty will get a good long look. There is no question that most guys need to see a bunch of games at NHL speed to really start contributing at that level. On the other hand, they can get a better chance to hone their skills in the AHL. Dalpe is still on a point in the curve where going up and down can be good, but Tlusty and Boychuk are past that and need to get NHL speed confidence. Tlusty of course has injury issues to get past, but I mean after that.

I like all three of those guys as key pieces to our future.

Jokinen just needs to stay and play. Too much skill and production.

If anyone needs to be moved/sat/demoted etc. in the end Dwyer, Sammy and LaRose would be the odd men out at this point. Cole just seems to be playing better and brings speed and physicality.

I still think McBain will be an All Star. Just got a little ahead of myself after what he did last season. After that, our d prospects either underwhelm or are a couple of years away. We will need some more serious veteran d help if we lose Pitkanen.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with us in the hunt for a playoff spot. Clearly if we are not, most if not all future free agents would be shipped off. But what if we are in the hunt (which I think we will be). My hope is that we keep the youth blend all the way through. Still think JR is trying to move Sammy.

Edited by remkin

Not sure where this post fits but-----------There has been a lot of discussion about has the team developed

it's identity yet, in this year of "rebuild".

I was listening to the Rangers/Flyers game today and the Ranger announcers were talking about the

Hurricanes in the context of the Eastern Conference standings. One guy said, "well they have an All-Star

netminder in Cam Ward and an AllStar Center in Staal. Then they have that All-Star Rookie in Jeff Skinner.

They are young, fast and dangerous."

Now young and fast I agree with. The dangerous was what struck me. (I don't think teams think of us as

dangerous, at least in terms of size or physicality.) Unless, of course, they underestimate us in

the skill department or assume we will be pushovers. Because heart goes a long way. The TB game is an

example of that.

So far, our rebuild has been worth buying tickets for. IMO

I have CI and get to watch a number of out-of-market games. It is interesting that a number of announcers are saying the Canes are a team to be reckoned with the last half of the season.

We're moving up ESPN's Power Rankings, too. A couple of times the comments have been "the Canes are always a dangerous 2nd half team" and "of the teams not currently in the top 8 in the East, the Canes are the team that could break into the playoffs."

So ya, there's some recognition that this team has some potential. I would say that we are still a player or two away (that 1st line winger that Rem is always mentioning and a "real" shutdown D guy) from challenging for the Cup... but we could be a 6-8 seed that could give the 1-3 seed a problem in April. Provided we stay healthy.

All I know is that the young guys are gelling nicely right now and need to keep it going. Making the postseason would be great to give Skinner et al some playoff experience.

GO CANES!

I think the next six games will tell the tale. If we are above or near the infamous Red Line (8th place) it will determine what direction we go around trade deadline. If we are 6 points or better back I would guess we become sellers.

Odd how in a rebuilding year we seem to be getting love from all these other teams announcers. I'm not sure I like it. There is something about being disrespected that makes you want to prove everyone wrong.

I think the next six games will tell the tale. If we are above or near the infamous Red Line (8th place) it will determine what direction we go around trade deadline. If we are 6 points or better back I would guess we become sellers.

Odd how in a rebuilding year we seem to be getting love from all these other teams announcers. I'm not sure I like it. There is something about being disrespected that makes you want to prove everyone wrong.

Agreed, OBXer. Frankly, if I were JR I think I'd move Pitkanen if I could get a big enough return, then call up Carson and see what happens. Wish I could figure out who this team really is, the one that beat Tampa and has several comebacks lately (Cardiac Canes) or the one that got crushed by Boston?

As for the love, I think most of that comes from Skinner. He's the best thing to happen to this team since the Cup. The fact that he was vastly underrated in the draft plus his style and level of play as the youngest in the league is a great story.

Agreed, OBXer. Frankly, if I were JR I think I'd move Pitkanen if I could get a big enough return, then call up Carson and see what happens. Wish I could figure out who this team really is, the one that beat Tampa and has several comebacks lately (Cardiac Canes) or the one that got crushed by Boston?

As for the love, I think most of that comes from Skinner. He's the best thing to happen to this team since the Cup. The fact that he was vastly underrated in the draft plus his style and level of play as the youngest in the league is a great story.

You may be right about Skinner being a big part of at least some of the respect we seem to be getting. We also have the All-Star game and that in itself lends a certain level of respect to our market.

As for Pitkanen. The debate has been raging all season about his future with the Canes. I think it will probable come down to PK's budget for next year. If he doesn't fit our future rebuilding plan it would probable be better to move him before trade deadline to get the most return. But I'm not sure he isn't in our future plan. At least not sure yet.

Payroll could play a part, but it's hard for me to believe they will go much lower than this year. Then again, they do have some free agents to re-sign, which will push up the numbers. In my mind the main gap that needs to be addressed is the D, and what we need is a big stay-at-home type. I would keep White (assuming roughly the same cost as current) and convert the $ for Pitkanen into that type of player. Lines would be something like:

new guy-Corvo

Gleason-White/McBain

McBain/White-Harrison

Seems most likely JR will keep White or Pits, but probably not both. And it's possible JR will opt to keep Pits, drop White, and go with another prospect up front in order to still have enough $ to get a big guy on the back end, but I feel that without some serious changes on the D we are destined to remain an inconsistent 9th place team. Of course, JR and/or PK may feel differently. Lots of questions, for sure.