The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
fkelly

Will the Canes hit a wall?

Everyone has seen the UGLY schedule for October and theres no point complaining about what cant be changed but when does everyone think the young canes will hit the wall? It inevitable they will at some point after crossing 4 countries, 2 continents, going cross country only to finish the month playing the conference favorites.

These kids have youth on their side and because they dont know any better yet,they may hold up longer than we think but we know theyre not going 10-0 for the month. If they end up 5-5 to end the month, I'll consider it a successful month. I dont want to them lose any ground and be under .500.

It feels like a real slap in the face from the NHL and a punishment for being awarded the all star game cause no other team has to keep this kind of schedule.

I'd rather get it out of the way now, we almost never get more then 2 wins on these swings. At least if we start rough we got all season to make it up, if we have this swing with 20 games remaining and we need points at that time. Ouch.

Really wish the State Fair would do their thing a little earlier and quit taking up the stadium for two weeks that would help to.

I know this wont be a popular opinion but I dont think the Canes loooked all that great in the first 2 games. They showed flashes of solid play but Ward completely stole that second game for them. Which is good cause we need our goalie to steal games here and there. The Wild looked horrible in the first game and when they poured on the physical game in the second game, the Canes were pushed back too easy. When they run up against a team who can sustain a physical game for more than 1 period, the outcome wont be as good.

Even with that said, they did find ways to win which is encouraging. If they learn how to adjust thier game with skill speed and two way play they'll have a good shot of being able to match up against the bigger tougher teams. If not, its gonna be a long month and a big wall they run into.

Not every team on the schedule is red hot and playing on fire right now. The Canes will come up against other teams with problems of their own. In the first few games, the western conference is already shaping up as expected, but the east is upside down. That will change in the next few weeks.

The training and coaching staff did a nice job helping the players work through travel issues like time zone issues and it sounds like they've done plenty of research about the after effects of all this time zone travel too. Its a tough road ahead and at some point I do expect it catch up with them but hopefully instead of running into a big wall, they'll only be tripped up by a minor bump in the road.

It feels like a real slap in the face from the NHL and a punishment for being awarded the all star game cause no other team has to keep this kind of schedule.

I couldn't agree with you more. I went over and looked at Minnesota's next five games, and it's nothing at all like what our guys have been given. I'd love to know what's up with that? The "powers that be" that put together the schedules for all the teams clearly were aware that our first two games were not only "away", but we're talking International...jet lag "away". To then proceed to schedule them for five more games on the road (for a total of seven away games in a row to start this season) is all kinds of wrong. If we're ultimately not a good enough team to make the playoffs this year, then so be it, but we should at least be given a fair playing ground (or however that saying goes) to start out with. :mad:

Fellas, state fair. The NHL is not screwing us over whomever keeps wanting to have the state fair at exactly the same time the NHL season starts each year is screwing us over. It's nothing new, it need's to change don't get me wrong but acting like the NHL devised this against us isn't true.

Edited by legend-1

well, honestly, it kinda makes sense if we can play northern teams that are a bit colder this time of year, just for ice conditions. but on the flip side, i wanna go to a game. bad.

Though I understand that we MUST be on a road trip during the State Fair, is it completely necessary for it to consistent of cross-continental travel and ALL games against playoff teams from last year? Playing a couple of those teams early isn't out of the ordinary, but getting all of them at once without a real breather is brutal. Are you telling me they couldn't find ONE relative cupcake to throw in that schedule?

Oh well, I guess it really doesn't matter since we can't change it. Looks like a serious "trial by fire" scenario for our young team. Hopefully it brings them together and they get through it respectably.

While it does kind of stink to have the real possibility of starting out in the hole, we have to make a nasty west coast trip every year, and this gets it out of the way completely 7 games in. Since we started out with 2 wins it is not as bad as it seems. I'm sure the guys realize that this is a brutal trip and expectations are reasonable, so any wins will be a bonus. Every other team in our conference has to do one of these trips.

Again, before we swept Minnesota this could have been a disaster. Now the team can bond some more and maybe pull a couple of surprises. We are really set up to start shaky and then build steam. November has a lot of home games and so do those last two months of hockey.

As long as we don't get shut out over the next 9 games, we can recover. If we manage a few points we'll be fine and if we surprise we'll be even better.

The thing that gets my goat is all the back to backs.

5-5 in October will be a success for the Canes if you take all of the youth and travel into consideration. I gave a minimum for success in Finland and it was 1 win. Anything more is a bonus and anything less would be bad. I will give that same minimum of success needed in October. A 5-5 record will be good. Anything more is great, anything less is bad. We are off to a 2-0 start, so maybe the month will end up being a good one. I can't wait to see them on the 27th. Go Canes!!!

5-5 in October will be a success for the Canes if you take all of the youth and travel into consideration. I gave a minimum for success in Finland and it was 1 win. Anything more is a bonus and anything less would be bad. I will give that same minimum of success needed in October. A 5-5 record will be good. Anything more is great, anything less is bad. We are off to a 2-0 start, so maybe the month will end up being a good one. I can't wait to see them on the 27th. Go Canes!!!

I think the Canes HAVE to get off to a good start with Ottawa, because the schedule just gets worse and worse as it moves along. The canes won't have the poise, stamina, etc. to turn around this road trip if they get off to a bad start. They need to take down Ottawa, it's a very important game. Maybe with a win in Ottawa, they can find more confidence and chemistry, and have a good road trip. I agree with most of you... .500 on this road trip is successful to me. They won't go undefeated, I just don't want them to go winless.

BTW, Canes games during the Fair are a NIGHTMARE! Would really make me not want to go, it's THAT bad. However, I don't understand why the Canes couldn't be on a road trip to SE Division rivals, or at least have the bulk of the teams be on this side of the country. Whatever, I'm use to The Canes getting the short end when it comes to the NHL. "Here's the All-Star game, and a grueling schedule so that your players will be too beaten up to represent your team."

Im glad our schedule is tought to start. I'd like to see what these guys are made of. This is going to be a good welcoming to the NHL for our young guys and will give them something to build on and learn from for when we're going down the playoff stretch. A lot of teams have tough stretches to end the season and that is the worst time to have one, so I will count this as a blessing in disguise for our team and hope that we can surprise a lot of people along the way.

Im glad our schedule is tought to start. I'd like to see what these guys are made of. This is going to be a good welcoming to the NHL for our young guys and will give them something to build on and learn from for when we're going down the playoff stretch. A lot of teams have tough stretches to end the season and that is the worst time to have one, so I will count this as a blessing in disguise for our team and hope that we can surprise a lot of people along the way.

I agree 100%.. :applause: ..this tough schedule could be the best thing to happen to such a young team.

All teams hit a wall at some point in the season. Whether through schedule or injuries or whatever builds the wall...but good teams fight through it and find a way to win.

I think the road trip will be good. But there's no good reason why the 1st non Finland game had to be on the road. The Canes could very easily have played a home game this week, before the fair starts. And why suddenly can they not play during the fair? I recall one day several years ago, State played a home football game AND the Canes played at the RBC center on the same day DURING the state fair. All of a sudden somebody cares?

If we drop the next 9 games I'll be on here letting the NHL have it too, but with that said, I really kind of like this coming now.

It all changed once we swept the two Finland games. Had we dropped those and then continued losing it would have gotten ugly and confidence would have spiraled down and we could be in the same position as last year.

They could have given us a home game this week no doubt. However, I went to last year's game vs. the jet lagged team and that jet lagged team should have just conceded the loss and stayed home. For us that is the Ottawa game. This is a very high likely loss either way. I'm fine with going to Ottawa and getting that Ottawa road game over with.

Then, they could have given us at least a one time zone trip to say Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville. But again, every East Coast team needs to make a far west trip and every West coast team makes a far east trip. Ours is right up front. Now I am concerned about playing two of the best teams in the league and then getting a well rested LAK team on our back to back (that is brutally unfair). BUT there is also opportunity here. If we can get 4 points in those 4 games (a tall order, but if), then win only 2 of the next 5, we will be 5-6 and:

1. A much better November with lots of home games.

2. Our brutal west coast trip done for the year.

3. Only one more road game in Ottawa.

4. Almost all of our road games left will be short trips for the rest of the year.

5. We have a ton of home games during the last 2 months of hockey.

This is an opportunity. Just squeak out a few wins and we'll be in great shape.

Edited by remkin

Great post remkin, agreed on all points (though the Canes will make one more trip to Ottawa (12/29), the second night of a back-to-back with Toronto being the first night.).

I see quite a bit of potential in this upcoming road trip. Going 500 is definitely possible. And 16 games at home over the last 24... if the Canes are in contention when that stretch starts, one would assume they'd be in great shape for post-season play.

Great post remkin, agreed on all points (though the Canes will make one more trip to Ottawa (12/29), the second night of a back-to-back with Toronto being the first night.).

Ah, yes, there is that. I corrected my points. None would have been a better argument though.

comon, the schedule is the schedule.. what can ya do about it, we dont know how the next game or any of the rest of season goes... u go with whats in front of u, why over analyze

this??? doesnt make sense..one day at a time... on to ottawa.. atlanta is on the west coast too.. we are 2-0 and people have something to complain about.. guess thats the human condition...

Folks, every year. in recent memory, we have made the West Coast trip early b/c of the State Fair. Last year or the year before Brindy

said he'd rather get it over with early. The difference this year was putting the Helsinki trip ahead of the long West Coast trip.

But, as TSA said, they researched this to try to minimize the lag effect. The schedule is what it is.

Having come home with 4 points was the best case scenario. Off to a great start !! I think they will pick up a few more

points on this trip, and if they do------kudos. Rest of the season much more favorable. There have been times when

our team has had actually better results on the road. People say " as Staal goes, so go the Canes" but I would be more

inclined to say, as " WARDO goes, so go the Canes". (I think we need them both)

Our eager youth, early in the year, before they get worn down by the long NHL season, may do better with the road trip now.

I do agree with the above poster, though. The Canes seem to get more back to backs than other teams every year.

GO CANES !!!

I've hit a wall just reading this thread.:twilight-zone:

:applause: Chalk it up to passing the time til the next game !!

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I'm glad we are getting this over with now, while we are still healthy. Ottawa is off to a slowish start so let's take advantage of that. Imagine doing this when we are all banged up in Feb, 5 pts back of 8th?!?!!?

comon, the schedule is the schedule.. what can ya do about it, we dont know how the next game or any of the rest of season goes... u go with whats in front of u, why over analyze

this??? doesnt make sense..one day at a time... on to ottawa.. atlanta is on the west coast too.. we are 2-0 and people have something to complain about.. guess thats the human condition...

well, normally i would agree with the don't sweat the small crap theory, as i am a staunch supporter, but i will say that the schedule does play a part in the scheme of things, otherwise, the coaching and management staff would not have to stratagize about it.

someone said that we got more than our fair share of back to backs. wardo does better in back to backs, so i guess that works in our favor.