The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
fkelly

Will the Canes hit a wall?

Regarding the back-to-backs, I remember actually counting them for reference in some other thread. The total? 20. No exaggeration or stat-padding there. 20 back-to-backs. I didn't count how many involved travel (or long-distance travel), but I'm sure most do. The point is this: 20 back-to-backs, no matter what you're scheduling around, is ridiculous. I've NEVER seen that many for one team (though I admit it's not normally something I immediately look for).

I've hit a wall just reading this thread.:twilight-zone:

Why, is it not a legit thing to discuss?

I dont care so much about who the opponents are cause we're gonna have to play them all at some point but the tine zone travel and back to backs are brutal. The NHL has seen most every team struggle that came back from an overseas trip and since the whole thing is about spreading good PR for the league internationally, why not at least try and ease the travel issues for the teams that commits to a trip by not sending them across North America immediately following a return from overseas.

Whatever, its not gonna change but its worth acknowledging that both the travel and schedule could have a big effect on the first few weeks of the season for the Canes. And we all know that teams can blow their playoff chances in the first 7 weeks of a season.

I recall one day several years ago, State played a home football game AND the Canes played at the RBC center on the same day DURING the state fair. All of a sudden somebody cares?

Apparently you weren't there that day. I was and it was an unmitigated disaster...and also the reason it won't ever happen again. The bottom line is the State Fair is not going to change it's dates and the Hurricanes will always have these early season road trips. What I will say is that the NHL did not do the team any favors with the west coast swing but it is what it is and will bring the team closer together. Ultimately I hope we make the playoffs and point to this road trip as the thing that turned this team into a cohesive unit capable of contending for the Cup.

well ottawa on wed, then 3 full days off canucks, till back to back, not trying to rile things up this time:), but it aint that bad.. i would love 3-2 next five, but we could go 5-0. 0-5. 1-4.. who knows???? we wouldnt want to know ahead of time would we?? except for the lottery.. lol go canes!

I'm not advocating that they have NCSU, the Canes both during the fair especially on the same day. But there was more than enough time to get in a home game before the fair started.

And for those who are already using the road trip and jet lag ,etc as excuses for this team having a bad start, I call BS. There is no excuse. They either win or they lose trying. They've had more then enough time to acclimate to time zones. West coast teams deal with this every week.

Some of the posts are good and pose real questions, others however seem to be making excuses for games that haven't happened yet as if to say oh well if we go 0-5 these next 2 weeks it's obviously the NHL's fault and not the team's inabilty to rise to a situation.

I mean the excuse making is giving me the headache not the overall conversation because if we go 3-2 over this road trip absolutely no one's going to talk about this week again in 3 months, however if we miss the playoffs by 4 points everyone will likely finger this week as one of the many excuses they'll find.

Let's play the next 2 weeks before we pull out the excuses.

Let's play the next 2 weeks before we pull out the excuses.

Well said. Hopefully on Oct 27th when we welcome the road warriors back home, this will all be a mute point.

Pretty much have to go with dinz and legend on this one. They knew the schedule going in. There's no reason to hit a wall with the youth on this team. Hit 'em hard in camp, hit 'em hard with the first few weeks, see how they come out of the crucible. Just to give an example of a plus, it was often discussed that a turning point in 08-09 was the road trip where Brindy was sent home, then Leights pulled out a big SO win against SJ followed by a blowout in Phoenix.

This is off topic a little, but i cant post threads... but does anybody remember the Raleigh IceCaps? Im originally from Wake Forest, NC and used to love that team. I even wrote an article about them and how they were the springboard for my love of hockey..

Here it is.. and if you do have any memories of the IceCaps, send it to me via Twitter @ChiBDM

From the Raleigh IceCaps to the Chicago Blackhawks: A Journey into NHL Fandom

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/491933-from-the-raleigh-icecaps-to-the-chicago-blackhawks-my-journey-into-nhl-fandom

seriously... I have not been able to find ANYONE that remembers them.

This is off topic a little, but i cant post threads... but does anybody remember the Raleigh IceCaps? Im originally from Wake Forest, NC and used to love that team. I even wrote an article about them and how they were the springboard for my love of hockey..

Here it is.. and if you do have any memories of the IceCaps, send it to me via Twitter @ChiBDM

http://bleacherrepor...into-nhl-fandom

Hi there, you're welcome to start a new thread in the new member intro section. Go ahead and start one so this can be moved. One of the ex-Ice Caps runs the Amateur and Youth Hockey program for the area and another one coaches a Jr Hurricanes AA team. ;)

I guess everyone would acknowledge that long road trips, back-to-back scheduling, and European Vacations without Beverly D'Angelo are going to have a negative effect on a team.

But it's not enough to completely alter their quality. If a team is great, a period of bad scheduling might make them less-great; good, to less-good; average, to below-average. But if a team goes winless, or struggles to secure a few overtime points, the schedule was not the primary reason. It was only a factor.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/491933-from-the-raleigh-icecaps-to-the-chicago-blackhawks-my-journey-into-nhl-fandom

I was going to Ice caps games way back in '91. I used to love it. It was 5 minutes from my apartment and cost $5 to get in.

We have like 5 back to backs in March. Five. I think this might be good, especially for players that are on the edge of making the roster, but are typically healthy scratches. If Mo is smart about taking out certain players and plugging in guys who are fresh and haven't played 3 games in 4 days, I think we'll still be able to score goals and win games. We need to be able to rely on Peters sometimes, and Ward apparently thrives in back to backs. The one thing that scares me about all these back to backs is the chance for injuries go up.

Only skimmed the first page, so I apologize if I'm repeating someone's opinion already stated.

To answer the OP: after last season, my definition of "wall" was rewritten. I don't think the Canes will hit any "wall" this season, but just as any team playing in any given season, they will trip over a number of "hurdles". I think the more appropriate question would be, what could those hurdles be and when could they happen?

The first that comes to mind is the wear of a long season on a very young team. So far, so good. 15,000+ miles, 7 road games, 11 timezones, and they are probably just now, as I'm writing this at 6:30AM, getting home, and they're over .500. I didn't watch the VAN game so I can't speak for the entire trip, but they looked dynamite in San Jose, solid and fast in LA (despite the loss), and for the first 2 and half periods, great in PHX. After all of that travel and "lost sleep" as Corvo pointed out, they have 8 out of 14 points? Great! If the first 10% of the season are any indication, the team will wear well through the long regular season.

My second concern is injuries to key players. If Staal, Sutter, Ward, LaRose, Gleason, Pitkanen, etc. have to sit out because of injury concerns, how will the young'ens react? Skinner is already putting up points and is currently on pace for 40+ points. Babchuk has had good games and bad. McBain looks like a rookie at times and at others an experienced defenseman. Bowman and Dalpe have played well but besides a +1 for each, don't have anything to show yet. Will these players (among others) step up when called upon? Sutter is already nursing some kind of injury.

Third, face off percentage. They're finding a way to win games despite a horrific FO%, but will teams learn how to use that against us? Will we continue to find ways to win without possessing the puck? Will our FO% improve as the season progresses? I don't think we'll know the answer to this one for a while. I just hope it turns out to be a good answer.

Number 4: how will the team respond to a 4 game losing streak? It'll probably happen, maybe even more than once. I'm less concerned about losing 4 games in a row and more concerned about how the team will hold up throughout a tough stretch like that. We have a lot of new characters around and although they all seem like fantastic people who get along well, it's the tough times that stress everyone the most. Will the locker room stay intact? Can Staal captain and the veterans lead the team through those times as well as they hope?

Edited by hctimo787

Everyone has seen the UGLY schedule for October and theres no point complaining about what cant be changed but when does everyone think the young canes will hit the wall? It inevitable they will at some point after crossing 4 countries, 2 continents, going cross country only to finish the month playing the conference favorites.

These kids have youth on their side and because they dont know any better yet,they may hold up longer than we think but we know theyre not going 10-0 for the month. If they end up 5-5 to end the month, I'll consider it a successful month. I dont want to them lose any ground and be under .500.

It feels like a real slap in the face from the NHL and a punishment for being awarded the all star game cause no other team has to keep this kind of schedule.

Well yours is the original post so I thought I'd update. The Canes did hit predictable walls, (return from Europe (Ottawa) and West Coast First game jet lag (Vancouver)). They tried to fight through them, but alas no go. The other predicable wall was LA, back to back on the far road vs. a rested playoff team, but they really plowed right through that wall, even though they lost.

Those three games were very high walls. The real problem with this road trip though, was the other games. It's not like we had an Edmonton game in there. The Sharks are a WCF team that rarely loses at home, and Phoenix had 107 points last year. Victories against those two teams and a near victory in a Custer's last stand game in LA, leveled the walls. Of course it helped that we snatched both games in Europe, helped very much indeed.

This was a high risk, high reward schedule. The risk was obvious: start 0-7. That could really have happened. Destroy our confidence. Demoralize the team and fan base, especially after last year, we'd be scanning the scouting reports for next year's draft. BUT, if we could find a way to compete and pick up some points, this young team could bond and gain confidence, all the while getting the major scheduling adversity out of the way right up front.

It turned out to be the latter. This team has gone a long way to forging it's identity and building confidence. And it's going to be fun.

Yes, there will be down times, there always are in an NHL season, even the winners of the Presidents and Lord Stanley's cup have them, but I really don't see any huge walls out there. We have a young team, but only a few pure rookies. The vast majority of the team has been down this road before, and won't hit a rookie wall. Maybe Skinner, but that seems hard to believe watching him play.

I agree with hctimio787 that we will have some trouble if any stars go down as we are thin on All Stars, but the team is built on team speed and we have a very deep bullpen. The key will be Ward's and Staal's health. But few teams can sustain the loss of their superstars. Anyone else can be replaced. Indeed, with Tlusty coming back, the problem is that we are too deep.

Here's the flipside to the wall thing. I don't think this team has peaked. The line ups and indeed who is in the top 12 up front is not even settled, let along letting the lines gel. Jokinen for example, has been decent, but will he become really good now that he's netted one? Skinner has amazed, but how can he not get better as he plays more? I think O'Sullivan is high end talent, but he's only played a couple of games on a scoring line. Tlusty was a first rounder. McBain is just now starting to warm up. Babchuk is playing with more and more confidence. Guys like Bowman, Dalphe are just getting their feet wet. Dwyer is starting to put up actual points. We're just going to get better.

If the Canes can take the confidence from mastering this brutal start, and especially if they can get at least 2 of the next 4, then they can roll into a November with a winning record during the most brutal opening 11 possible, and head into a November with 8 home games and really start building some points. The other flip side of the wall is the end of the season where we play the last month nearly all home games.

Since everyone else (Tampa) will hit their walls too, we will be good.

What a difference a year makes.

Edited by remkin