The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

Checkers Game Day Thread

While waiting for the Canes' first road trip to start I thought I'd check in on the Checkers. Some notables after the first three games:

Matsumoto, MicFlikier and Terry - 3 points each, Samson with 2 points

Boychuck (1 pt) and Osala (0 pts) are -5

Rodney (1 pt) and Bellemore (0 pts) are -4

Next opponent: Undefeated Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Fri Oct 15th

1-0 Pens score after a bad turnover by Pogge behind his net

1-1 Samson scores during a 5 on 3 PP for the Checkers

2-1 Pens score on a short handed breakaway

3-1 Pens intercept a pass and score on another breakaway

Missed the 3rd period

Pens win 4-2. Sounded like the Pens were super aggressive on the forecheck and had at least 10 odd-man rushes. Their first goal was on Pogge but he also made some great saves. Checkers were good and had their chances but the Pens were clearly the faster and better team.

Checkers ended a 4 game losing streak last night beating Adriondack 5-1.

Checker scorers were: Jon Matsumoto, Jiri Tlusty, Jacob Micflikier, Nick Dodge, and Zach Boychuk. Mike Murphy made 31 saves

They play at Manchester Sunday.

Checkers were down 3-2 in the final minute of the 3rd against Portland. Chris Terry ties it at 19:59. Stand By for OT.

Checkers unfortunately fall in a SO loss. Playing Portland again tomorrow night. This team is at least beginning to rack up some standings points

Edited by captain_jack88

I almost forgot to give an update from the game I went to on Sunday. Checkers won 4-2 :dance:

Hershey outshot Charlotte something like 42-22 :whiteflag: , but a good number of them were low quality shots. Samson had a sneaky PP goal that found it's way in somehow, along with an empty netter. Dalpe had a nice wrister, and Chris Terry had a beautiful one-handed goal (think Cole's goal in 08 @ Washington).

I think the big thing was killing off pretty much 2 minutes of a 2 man advantage for the Bears.

Decent crowd, plenty of people wearing 'Canes gear, others wearing your usual Rangers, Devils, Pens, etc getting their hockey fix. Some Bears fans in attendance. A Bears fan sitting near me decided it was a good idea to bring a vuvuzela along :shakeshead::facepalm2:

A couple of people came from the Panthers game, the Checkers actually scored more than the Panthers did on sunday. And with the Bobcats struggling I think this is a good time for the Checkers to get the word out that there is a decent team in Charlotte. I guess the early slump was getting settled into a new city but it seems the guys are starting to gel.

Oh and I met one of our own posters here, Caniacbeej. Caniacbeej is one cool B) guy

Edited by captain_jack88

Alright. Checkers win 4-3 in Overtime against the last place Phantoms. Kind of a sloppy game, Phantoms outshoot Checkers 43-36(I think, too lazy to look it up). Anyway Boychuk, Rodney, and McFlicker all scored in regulation while Bobby Sangeutti scored the game winner in Overtime.

Mike Murphy let in two goals that he shouldn't have. The first one was kind of a dump in that I guess either he lost control of or couldn't tell where it was going, the second one was a soft shot that just bounced over his shoulder and in. But he made big stops when needed.

Gotta give props to the Phantoms for not backing down and giving in when the Checkers went up 2-0. Norfolk is next.

Checkers finish November with a 10-2-2 record. They are now 2nd in the East division behind the SWB Penguins. One of those wins came against Norfolk last week in which Zac Dalpe scored 2 goals in the final minute, 11 seconds apart from each other to win 4-3.

Next game is this sunday at 3pm against the Syracuse Crunch, whom I may add have former Checkers Matt Kennedy and Stephan Chaput.

Checkers win 10-3. Looks more like an offensive struggle football game score than a hockey one. Nash had 2 goals, 8 other scorers for Charlotte. Former Checker Stephan Chaput has scored 2 goals in the last 2 games despite not scoring at all in Charlotte this season.

Another big win by the Checkers at Norfolk. This puts them 3rd in the Eastern Conference standings, and 2nd in the division. They can catch Manchester whom they trail by only 3 standings points but I don't see them catching Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Wow, what a win against Manchester tonight. Almost let the Monarchs win it but Charlotte prevails in the SO 6-5. Attendance tonight was 10,221. The Upper deck which is usually sheltered off for Checker games was open tonight. For a January game, that is all kinds of good for an AHL team.

Congrats to Cedric McNichol for scoring 2 goals tonight, his first two of the season I may add, almost had a hat-trick.

Tried to get a ticket for this, but couldn't get one at a good price. Oh well. Norfolk will be here on Sunday at 5pm.

Edited by captain_jack88

Wow, what a win against Manchester tonight. Almost let the Monarchs back in but Charlotte prevails in the SO 6-5. Attendance tonight was 10,221. The Upper deck which is usually sheltered off for Checker games was open tonight. For a January game, that is all kinds of good for an AHL team.

Congrats to Cedric McNichol for scoring 2 goals tonight, his first two of the season I may add, almost had a hat-trick.

Tried to get a ticket for this, but couldn't get one at a good price. Oh well. Norfolk will be here on Sunday at 5pm.

Thanks for the update, I officially dub you our new Checkers correspondent :)

(No speeches or thanks necessary :grin: )

Thanks for the update, I officially dub you our new Checkers correspondent :)

(No speeches or thanks necessary :grin: )

:thumbsup:

(had too, lol)

Might go Wednesday night against Springfield.

McNicholl had a hell of a game. Good to see him get rewarded with his first 2 goals.

Michal Jordan also had another strong, solid game on the blueline. He has definitely gotten more comfortable in front of the net as the season has progressed.

Wow, what a win against Manchester tonight. Almost let the Monarchs win it but Charlotte prevails in the SO 6-5. Attendance tonight was 10,221. The Upper deck which is usually sheltered off for Checker games was open tonight. For a January game, that is all kinds of good for an AHL team.

That was really cool getting to see that game on TV even if it was the lousy 1-camera Jumbotron feed. Huge crowd, they said over 10,000.. I dont know what TWC holds, but that's probably close to a sell out considering RBC holds something in the neighborhood of 15-16K for hockey and 19K for basketball.

Even though the game was eventually tied 5-5 thanks to the Monarchs getting multiple power plays, Murphy was much better than the opposing goalie. When it was 5-2 the game should have been over and Manchester was very fortunate to get the opportunities. How bout seeing Zac Dalpe come back in with the confidence of a warm cup of coffee with the Canes and just have his way with the other team including scoring that shorthanded goal.

My brother lives in Charlotte and him and his gf go to a bunch of games. We talked at Christmas and they are very high on Justin Pogge, apparently he has played very well. They also would like to have Zach Boychuk back. I've been dying to go to a game now that I am pretty much halfway between in Winston Salem, 1.5 hour from raleigh, 1 hour from charlotte. Maybe before the season is over I will get a chance. There will also be 5 more televised games later in the season.

When the Checkers lost their first 3 or 4 games in a row I had a bad feeling even though Albany had done well the year before, that we would struggle and be the laughing stock of the AHL and more "proof" for those who dislike southern hockey (even though Charlotte has had a team for a LLOOOOONG time).. man have they turned it around, they are kicking butt and taking names. Second in the division, probably 3rd or 4th overall in the conference. Even doing better than the reigning champ Bears.

My wife and I went to our first Checkers game yesterday afternoon. Nice 6hr round trip!!!

GREAT SEATS! Turned in my STH vouchers and got seats one row off the glass.

Game was physical and turned ugly as you could tell the Admirals and Checkers don't like each other. Desjardins(Admirals goalie) got pissed giving up a goal in the first 10 seconds of the game, then had to kill off multiple penalties. He shoved the net off the pegs in the 1st period. Should have gotten at least an unsportsmanlike penalty or a delay of game. Sutter got into a good fight and Osala as well, as the Admirals were hitting him on a regular basis.

Fitzgerald wanted to take someone's head off in the 2nd and 3rd periods, got a 14 minute penalty in the 2nd, then another 4 minutes at the end of the 2nd and into the 3rd.

Good crowd and a lot of action.