The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

Checkers Game Day Thread

Got a ticket for Friday night's game. Tonight and Friday host the Springfield Falcons. So far I'm 2-0 when attending games so lets hope the luck continues.

Update: Checkers win 3-1 tonight. Sutter, Samson, and Boychuk with the goals. Can't wait for Friday night, I'm expecting and hoping for a good crowd, maybe 8,000 or so. If anyone else is going, feel free to say hi to me, if you can spot me :D. I'll say hi back :)

Edited by captain_jack88

Sloppy second period there. Checkers were outplaying them up until that 1st Springfield goal, and then Springfield just kinda ran with it. IMO, that last minute goal in the 2nd should have been prevented, as that goal that Springfield scored on the breakaway, when the Checkers had like 3 opportunities at a PP goal. Basically if you allow 5 goals in one period, you're in trouble. I wish Sanguinetti hadn't gotten injured for the year.

10,317 in attendance tonight. Got a cool hat too. Also would like to add that I think Oskar Osala should get a look at a call-up. Really like his game.

Edited by captain_jack88

Murph looked really sloppy tonight. One of the goals that went five hole just barely trickled in..it looked like he wasn't squeezing his legs together.

I have to agree that second goal could have been prevent..it was a shame they couldn't cash in on that PP.

It was a good game tho overall...except the whole redneck/country music thing was a bit annoying. I've never seen the cablebox that full before. Good to see more people showing up!

For some reason, my original post isn't showing up, so I'll try again.

ZChucky got a Hat-trick tonight in a 9-5 win @ SWB, yes the score was 9-5. Checkers now @ 55 standings points, but because Hershey won today, they get bumped to 4th in the division.

Didn't go yesterday but Drayson Bowman scored 2 goals in the 3rd period to lift Charlotte to a 4-3 win over Providence. Charlotte now 61 points in the standings.

This was my first Checkers game this year, but what a crowd it was. It was great to see the fan support for the team and the opening music and everything was very rousing. Good job to the Checkers organization for putting that together. The team looked pretty flat, though. Albany just flat outskated them a lot of the game. There just didn't seem to be much chemistry for our guys last night. The power play looked like the Hurricanes for a while, lots of passing, nothing much doing. But Dalpe's and Carson's goals were sick. Can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks.

Glad you went jmburre. It's too bad they couldn't pull it out but they made up for it today winning in regulation. I'm going to make a prediction here. There is a game on Saturday feb. 26 against Connecticut. I predict it will be the largest crowd in Charlotte hockey history that night, the record is just a little over 12,500. And people said that this move would be a disaster :coollaugh:

Edited by captain_jack88

Yeah, I was upset they couldn't pull the game out for the fans, but I was glad they got some redemption tonight. Lots of goons on the Albany team it seems, and they play that trap defense well at times. I'll be back for the game on the 26th. I have a lot of hockey coming up with the Canes game on the 18th and then in Charlotte on the 26th. Now that's a good month.

Oh yeah, that dude LeBlond charged Bowman while Bowman had his back turned. He also was mouthing off to Fiztgerald all night. From what I heard he got his today and got a game misconduct.

Tuesday night against the Devil Rats will either be a total slugfest, or just a game with a few scrums.

BTW, I think I may go to the game on the 26th, I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks an attendance record for Charlotte hockey. So if you see me, feel free to say "Yo", I'll say something back :D.

Edited by captain_jack88

Sounds great. Let me know if you're going and we'll meet up for a beer and some Canes talk.

Yeah man, that sounds like my kind of evening. :rockon: I take light-rail to games so if you do too let me know what train and station you plan on getting on. Otherwise yeah if i get tickets I'll meet you somewhere. I know there's a lounge area on the lower concourse where there's concession stands and TV's.

I drive up from Spartanburg, SC for the games, but usually park near the stadium near the light rail stations. So we can definitely meet up either inside or somewhere near the stadium.

:rockon:

Checkers fell to Syracuse in an SO last night. Before that they finally got their first shut-out of the year against Hershey. Charlotte has won the season series against the Bears.

Oh yeah and I'll see you @ the cable box saturday night jmburre.

^ Casey Borer is probably the guy that fits that description. Can't help you on whether or not he can be borrowed though ;):D

Casey would be here now if it wasn't for his bus accident injury.

Casey would be here now if it wasn't for his bus accident injury.

what happened to Borer? I saw him in the scratched player section during the game & actually met him after, but forgot to ask.

Murph was on fire tonight! It was sweet to be part of the record breaking crowd as well! We deff have the best fans in the AHL :)

Glad you went jmburre. It's too bad they couldn't pull it out but they made up for it today winning in regulation. I'm going to make a prediction here. There is a game on Saturday feb. 26 against Connecticut. I predict it will be the largest crowd in Charlotte hockey history that night, the record is just a little over 12,500. And people said that this move would be a disaster :coollaugh:

Called it :rockon:

I guess if Mike Murphy and the rest of the team was waiting for the perfect night to win a game by a score of 1-0, then they picked the right one. 12,933 was the attendance tonight, they had the whole upper deck open except for the end the opposing team shoots twice at. Pistilli scored the lone goal tonight.

They had a nice tribute before the game for a recently passed Checker season ticket holder. Way to go Checkers staff and team! btw jmburre, sorry you couldn't make it, but I was cheering for ya in spirit :)

Edited by captain_jack88