The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

Checkers Game Day Thread

I'm looking forward to my first Checkers game. I'll be at the March 27th game against Norfolk. The games they have shown on TV look like a lot of fun and with decent crowds for most of them. I can't wait. I've been to one Canes game this year and I'm looking forward to seeing the Checkers. Skate with the Checkers after this game also, so I'm looking forward to getting some autographs.

I'm looking forward to my first Checkers game. I'll be at the March 27th game against Norfolk. The games they have shown on TV look like a lot of fun and with decent crowds for most of them. I can't wait. I've been to one Canes game this year and I'm looking forward to seeing the Checkers. Skate with the Checkers after this game also, so I'm looking forward to getting some autographs.

Awesome bro :). I might be there too since it's a Sunday afternoon game. Should be a decent crowd, maybe 8,000 or so (NCAA's going on that week so it's kind of a toss-up). Norfolk right now is the closet we have to a geographical rival so there should be plenty of action going on that day.

I'll be at the game on March 12th for sure. Maybe the Checkers will get 13,000+ for this one? Would be cool B).

Checkers end the 3 game road trip in 3 days with a 3-2 win @ Manchester. Zach Boychuk scored with 47 seconds left to play in regulation. This win gives Charlotte 78 standing points, 4 behind Hershey.

Binghamton comes to town Tuesday night and will match up w/ Charlotte again on the 12th.

Charlotte won last night 2-1 with Matsumoto and Dalpe scoring the goals. Rumor is Sanguinetti may be coming back from surgery earlier than expected (which hopefully means it went very well). That would be great but I hope if these rumors are true that they don't rush him.

You guys know how I don't like the hot-potato game? Well tonight, man I was all "shoot the puck damn it!", and when they finally did it either got tipped wide or blocked completely.

Disappointing game in front of 10,571. I don't know what it is about the Checkers struggling to win in front of big crowds. What's even more disappointing is that the Checkers were well rested tonight while B-ham was coming back from an 8-3 loss against Norfolk last night.

One highlight was Jeff Daniels and his assistant sitting behind me during warm-ups. And I met jmburre, nice meeting you and your friend bro :cheers: Hope you guys got back safe.

Yeah, I think the Checkers PP and the Hurricanes must be on the same wavelength, as well as the defensive abilities of both squads. It was kind of sad how badly the Jr. Sens defense made us look last night. Wasn't a good night for any of my hockey teams. Checkers, Greenville, and the Canes all lost in the same night. We did make it home safe. It was good meeting you and the ticket to the 27th is yours if you want it.

Checkers win in a shoot-out 2-1. Terry scored in the 2nd on a 5-3 advantage.

Playing Bridgeport again Friday night, Syracuse Saturday night, and WSB Sunday afternoon :mellow: . Would be great to sweep the whole road trip but I'll settle with 5 out of a possible 6 points too.

Excited to be going to our first Checkers game on 3/27. It's "bring your pooch" night promo w/part of the ticket proceeds for "pooch" tix going to the Charlotte Humane Society. My wife is super excited to be bringing the dog!!

That's going to be a big game since it's against Norfolk whom we are battling back and forth for 3rd in the East. Tomorrow we play Adirondack. After two straight regulation losses the Checkers need to battle and grab important standing points.

5-2 Checkers win. Big congrats to Mike McKenzie for his first AHL career goal. Chris Terry seems determined to fill the scoring role Samson provided for so long this season as he scored tonight to put the Checkers ahead for good. This was a much needed win and now gives Charlotte 86 standings points and puts them back at 3rd place in the East Division.

On "THECheckerboard", someone mentioned that one of the Phantoms elbowed him in the head. And looking at the scoresheet, Riley Nash didn't play last night, again someone mentioning he got hurt against Scranton on Sunday.

I hope they are nothing serious because we've got yet another 3 games in 3 nights coming up, including one big game at home against Norfolk, which I will be at thanks to jmburre :).

Disappoiting game tonight. Though the Chex did get a standings point, they should have come away with two. Gave up two goals in the final 3 minutes and eventually lost in a SO.

@Portland tomorrow night.

Good news from tonight's 'Canes loss. Checkers win @ Portland 5-4. Goal scorers were Boychuk, Terry(2), McNicholl, and McFlicker.

Big game tomorrow with some stakes against Norfolk.

Edited by captain_jack88

Nice beatdown on Norfolk today. 8-2 was the score.

This was my first Checkers game and it sure was a good one! Hung out after the game for the autograph signing and the skate with the Checkers. We didn't skate, but we did get to sit on the home bench and talk with the players.. who cool is that? Got suto's from all 20 players and Coach Daniels. I'd say that was a successful night. 1 point away from clinching a playoff spot. A Charlotte win, OT loss or Worcester loss will clinch on Friday night.

This was my first Checkers game and it sure was a good one! Hung out after the game for the autograph signing and the skate with the Checkers. We didn't skate, but we did get to sit on the home bench and talk with the players.. who cool is that? Got suto's from all 20 players and Coach Daniels. I'd say that was a successful night. 1 point away from clinching a playoff spot. A Charlotte win, OT loss or Worcester loss will clinch on Friday night.

We definitely had fun @ this game, too. Was the "pooch" party and we brought out 75lb pooch. He showed initial interest in the actual game, but eventually laid down at our feet and was one tired pup on the drive back to Cary!

People actually brought dogs to the game? I give them an A for creativity down there in Charlotte.

People actually brought dogs to the game? I give them an A for creativity down there in Charlotte.

People came out in droves. I was actually surprised, I knew about the party pre-game but I guess in my head I'm thinking "well then they will all go home"... No.. they let the dogs in the arena! Had a special section for them behind the goal zone. I saw some BIG dogs there too.. at least one Mastiff, a couple of Great Danes and a Great Pyrennes.. Of course a lot of small dogs like Dachshunds (for the weenie dog race), jack russels, yorkies etc. Announced attendance was a little north of 7000. Not the biggest Checkers game (one of the TV games, with the fundraiser for Zach had an attendance close to 15K) but my brother said it was the biggest crowd he had seen at a game.

Charlotte got tripped up last night by arguably the best team in the AHL by far. Hopefully they can get that win or OT loss (1 point) tonight to clinch that playoff spot!

Yeah they did a "pooch party" as it was called last year and it apparently was a big hit. Saw a couple of dogs in 'Canes jerseys.

It is official, the Checkers needed a point tonight to clinch a playoff spot as Eric says above. Checkers win at Albany 5-3. Calder Cup Playoffs will be in Charlotte! :groupwave:

Great news for the Checkers, Charlotte should be having some with their new team.

Thanks all of you as always for all the updates!