The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Whaler1

Checkers Game Day Thread

Hey no problem, happy to do it. Very excited for the Checkers clinching a playoff berth. If you guys remember they got off to a horrible start but they dug their way out of a hole. Now it's just kick back and wait to see who we play, and right now it's looking like we'll be matched against Hershey.

Despite not being the number 1 team, having to go through Hershey is no small task. They are the two time defending Calder Cup champs. Wilkes Barre has been playing incredible all year though, so surely the Penguins will give the Bears a run for their money this year.

Even with only really seeing 3 games or so on TV and the one game in person, having the farm team closer has encouraged me to keep much closer tabs on them from this forum, the Checkers page and the AHL.com. Plus with my brother in Charlotte and he has gone to probably 10-12 games, so that has helped as well. I'm very excited about what Carolina has "in the system". Several of the guys who have earned lengthy call ups like Boychuk, Dalpe, Samson, Matsumoto etc should be full time Canes very soon, if not next year. Hopefully they can go deep in the playoffs since another 16-25 games played can only help these guys gain more experience.

I agree and I think that the Checkers and Hurricanes did this at the right time because both teams are competitive this season. If I haven't mentioned this already I've seen more people here wearing Canes stuff since October than I ever have before, and that includes 2006.

The Checkers regular season ends with a 6-2 win over Worcester. Bobby Goephert got the start and made 23 saves. A good finale unlike the one 150 miles to the NE.

I just noticed a link above the scores page for League attendance. Charlotte ranked 10th in the league in regular season attendance at 252,000 total or 6300 per game. This is well above the league average of 5300 per game.

Not surprisingly #1 was two time defending champ Hershey at 392,000 or 9300 per game.

Lowest in the league was Albany, who just moved from Lowell at 3100 per game. I know some of the teams play in fairly small arenas, so that could affect the numbers some what. Charlotte had at least one game over 10,000 were some places may only seat 7000 so their average will be lower even with a couple sell outs.

Well done Charlotte!! Hopefully this will grow in the future!

*Charlotte is also 6th right now in playoff attendance with about 4600 per game in 3 games played.