The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Obi-Wan

Two churches, five minutes apart, in Greenville, NC, burnt

I have no doubt in my mind someone from ECU will be blamed for this. It makes sense too. Saturday, late at night, some drunken college students got in a debate about religion, which lead one of them to take it a little too far.

Of course, I couldn't really tell you where those churches are. I think I know one of them, but only because it's by a Bojangles I frequently visit.

What GOOD could these people thought would have happened if these churches burned? Just doesn't make rational sense.

Although I do feel that the world would be a MUCH better place without religion, and that may be what these people were aiming for. They went about it in the worst possible way, if that's the case.

Then again, they could've been religious nutjobs who thought that their particular beliefs gave them the right to destroy anything that didn't agree with them (see the Westboro Baptist Church).

:(

That's not far from where I'm at at all.

Unfortunately, it isn't too far from ECU and where a lot of the students are either, so I'd have to say that the possibility of it being drunk students isn't out of the question. Hate seeing ECU getting a bad rep because of a few idiots.

Didn't even hear about this until now, too. Guess I need to watch the news more...

I'm thinking the answer is a little deeper than some drunken college students who have a disagreement with religion.

Not every crime becomes an episode out of CSI. Sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one, and given the time and location of the crime, drunken college students are the most obvious answer.

Of course, I couldn't tell you how close to campus these churches are. So it may very well be something else.

If these are where I'm thinking, I'd say roughly 2-3 mi. away from campus.

Sounds like in the area of Greenville Blvd and 14th Street, near the railroad tracks.

Of course, it could have been some teenagers, too. But almost certainly it was simply an act of stupidity letting emotions get the better of them, and probably drugs and/or alcohol involved. Not that those are an excuse, just what I'd bet it involves.

I'm not familiar enough with the churches to guess any more than that. Though I'll be watching the local news tonight to see if there's any more developments.

Hopefully they'll catch whoever did it very quickly.

Sounds like in the area of Greenville Blvd and 14th Street, near the railroad tracks.

Which ones? :lol:

I swear, I've never been somewhere where there's been so many active railroad tracks.

I swear, I've never been somewhere where there's been so many active railroad tracks.

You should visit Pembroke. I swear the train comes through every 5 minutes. And very fast also! :-o

If this person says they are sorry and asks for forgiveness, will they go to heaven or hell?

I'd think that burning a church would be an automatic ticket to hell.

If this person says they are sorry and asks for forgiveness, will they go to heaven or hell?

A church building is only a building. God does not live in a church building. It is what the building represents to us that makes it special to us.

Burning any building does not give anyone a ticket to hell. And yes, if the arsonist askes for forgiveness and is sincere, he/she will be forgiven.

Yes, but dontcha know, all you have to do is ask for forgivness. A person could kill a hundred thousand people, get forgiven, walk outside, get hit by a bus, and go to heaven, while the nicest person on Earth, who only ever helps people, gives all their time and money to charity, and never does any evil at all, but just happens to not be a Christian, goes to hell. :roll:

Of course, since neither exist, this is all an academic excercise, anyway.

Yes, but dontcha know, all you have to do is ask for forgivness. A person could kill a hundred thousand people, get forgiven, walk outside, get hit by a bus, and go to heaven, while the nicest person on Earth, who only ever helps people, gives all their time and money to charity, and never does any evil at all, but just happens to not be a Christian, goes to hell. :roll:

Asking forgivness for burning a building will no sooner grant you a "ticket" to Heaven as being a "good person". It takes something entirely different to go to Heaven. The Bible tells "The Way."

Yes, but dontcha know, all you have to do is ask for forgivness. A person could kill a hundred thousand people, get forgiven, walk outside, get hit by a bus, and go to heaven, while the nicest person on Earth, who only ever helps people, gives all their time and money to charity, and never does any evil at all, but just happens to not be a Christian, goes to hell

Thank you.

Let's NOT make this into a religious debate, folks, okay?

Awww, CCCC:

grouphug2.gif

I don't think you're on a soapbox, sweetie, & I know you're only sharing how you feel w/ others, but it's just that I've seen the most innocent of threads started about religion turn into nasty debates & fights between people, & I don't wanna see that happen here.

Yeah, it's probably better that we not degenerate this into an atheism vs. Christianity battle (since I don't know that anyone here is of any other religion or any other non-religious set of thoughts), especially because it's equivalent to a me vs. everyone else battle.

Gipper, I find it ironic you and most non-religious people understand the tenants of christianity better than most "christians".

True! :lol:

I was right about the area. Used to drive past the one church on my way to classes every day when I was an undergrad, and the other two are right nearby.

Haven't heard much more about it yet, though I'm pretty certain there are no racial concerns behind it. Thank goodness for that. (Sure don't need any Mississippi Burning going on in my backyard :? .)

They've also stepped up police patrols to protect other churches in the area while they look for who did it.

This just makes me sick to my stomach. Regardless of what you do or don't believe religiously, arson is wrong and no one should burn down any building on purpose (and especially not to prove some point)! If it really is an ECU student then it makes me even more glad that I transfered out of there last year! My heart goes out to the community. Hopefully they'll be able to rebuild and move on.

The church burnings make about as much sense as the Clayton father who beheaded his four year old. I have no clue as to what this world is coming to but I can tell you all to enjoy every single day you have, make the best of it, don't dwell on things that don't go your way and be good to yourself and everyone else. Stepping down now !

The church burnings make about as much sense as the Clayton father who beheaded his four year old. I have no clue as to what this world is coming to but I can tell you all to enjoy every single day you have, make the best of it, don't dwell on things that don't go your way and be good to yourself and everyone else. Stepping down now !

BEHEADED 4 year old???????? That is wrong... :shock:

**emoticon removed by 300Section**

sorry :Oops: