The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Showstoppa

Die Hard Carolina Hurricanes Fans

Hey how is it going out there?

Anyway straight to the point.. I am a Carolina Hurricane fan since 2003 when Eric Staal was drafted.. I recall watching the draft and saying to myself this kid is going to be big news.. 7 years later I am still a fan despite growing up in Vancouver and being a Canucks fan prior to discovering the skills of Eric Staal.. Now a couple days ago a friend of mine over facebook asked me why I was a Carolina fan so I told him my Eric Staal story.. he was all fine with it but then he accused Carolina of having no die hard fans.. and last night after the game he posted a video on my facebook of the game highlights and told me to discuss it with the Carolina "die hard" fans..

Now its really bugging me cuz i know that there have to be some die hard fans other than me.. So am I right? Die hard fans post here!

I hope to forward a link to this page to my friend to show him some real fans! Thanks!!

Edited by CanuckFan845

Point out to your Nuck fans that we didn't fill the RBC center on the last home game (a meaningless game) of the season last season because we like to watch the ice melt. We like our Canes in North Carolina win,lose or draw.

I think its pretty safe to say that any fan that takes the time to participate on a message board or any type of social media site just to discuss their team is a die hard fan. Is it really necessary to rally the folks here just to prove they're passionate fans to your friend?

Glad you enjoy following the Canes, hopefully they'll right this ship sooner than later. :)

For a fairly new team in a market dominated for over many generations by college bb and football, the Canes are developing a good base of die-hard fans. The young 'ens that come to the games and play youth hockey will the future STHers. I can see a time when it will become difficult, if not imporssible, to get a ticket to a Canes game. The youth, on the ice and in the stands, are the future of the franchise.

I see little, if any point in defending being a fan. Is on par with defending anything that requires "Faith". it either is or isn't. I reckon the questioning of Fandom in the South will never truly die.

Perhaps Canada winning a Cup will eventually reduce this type of discussion. (I ain't gonna hold my breath though) The pressure continues to mount since 1993.

I was a little confused. You indicate you are a Canes fan but your name says differently.(canuckfan845). ??

Yes tell him that the first 2 games for the Canes this year was in Helsinki, Finland. The number stated was over 400 Canes fans went to the games in Finland. More fans travel than any other team playing overseas for season openers including the Wild from the State of Hockey. Not die hard enough for him? Then there is no way to convince him otherwise and don't even try.

This is clearly a case of some Hockey is Canada's Property nut who thinks we're all descendants of Barnie Fife. Every professional team in the world has die-hard fans, why would our organization be any different?

But the above replies are all valid and that answers that question... now there is real hockey to discuss, so lets get back to it.

Edited by jb_online

Point out to your Nuck fans that we didn't fill the RBC center on the last home game (a meaningless game) of the season last season because we like to watch the ice melt.

Great memories... the roar during the final minute gave me goosebumps. It was a show of approval for the Canes refusing to quit after a miserable start, and darn near making the playoffs. I enjoyed being at that one.

We could sell out every game but one for the next 5 seasons and we will still be criticised for not having "true fans" because we didn't sell out this one game. As I said in another thread a couple of months ago, people in so called "True hockey cities" have a serious problem with Hockey having teams in the Sunbelt. We in the SouthEast especially get the worst of it.

The bottom line is that we are "Here to play, and here to stay", and if people have a problem with that, too bad so sad.

Count the number of posts by "OUR DIE HARD CANIACS" here on the site.That alone says alot.

You will have to explain why that says alot to me DJ. It appears you are relating posts on a board to the "Diehardedness" of the fans. That just does not float. (IMHO).

Did I read your comment wrong?

Just a suggestion... if we stop replying to this thread it'll drop off the page. Even the original poster has decided it isn't worth returning for, but it probably did push the buttons it intended to. ;)

All I have to say is------------Carolina Hockey is not the same as Canadian hockey ! I like our version. Just come to a game and see our parking lot filled hours before the game with fans tailgating, cooking out etc. and getting to know each other, playing music etc.

Watch us go to the airport and wait for the team to come home from playoff games. Watch us stand and cheer for big games.

It could be called die hard fan fever----------SOUTHERN STYLE, and proud of it, thank you ! And we are not in any kind of a

fan base contest !

Why do parts of his original post sound kind of like those letters I get in my email about helping the cousin of the Prince of Nigeria get his money out of the country?

Maybe it's just me.

You are right-------he was needling us a bit about our loss to the Nucks. But that is okay---The Wild wiped them out last night !!

What goes around----comes around, as they say. !

well being in Vancouver i didnt know about the fan support at the end of last season or about the fans who traveled to Finland that however that is awesome to find out

I was a little confused. You indicate you are a Canes fan but your name says differently.(canuckfan845). ??

well i dont know whats going on with the username thing cuz when i moved to the Hurricanes boards i renamed myself showstoppa i just forgot my password and when i plugged in my info this account came up instead

Just a suggestion... if we stop replying to this thread it'll drop off the page. Even the original poster has decided it isn't worth returning for, but it probably did push the buttons it intended to. ;)

The reason I havent responded thus far is reading all your responses made me realize that this thread is absolutely pointless...

But the above replies are all valid and that answers that question... now there is real hockey to discuss, so lets get back to it.

exactly lets move on

Edited by Showstoppa

You will have to explain why that says alot to me DJ. It appears you are relating posts on a board to the "Diehardedness" of the fans. That just does not float. (IMHO).

Did I read your comment wrong?

Yeah I think you read me wrong, I meant the amount of overall posts by everyone (Caniacs) in all topics, over the years. We all have a very big passion for this team. I totally meant this in a purely positive way! Bigtime!!

Have a good one CC

Diehard?

My friend and I travel 4 to 4.5 hours ONE way from Spartanburg, SC to go to at least 8 regular season games a year and the preseason game closest to my birthday, despite the Trash being an hour to hour and a half closer for us. I take my daughter to at least one a year and she's now an avid Caniac. I even got my parents hooked on Hurricanes hockey. I listen in at work when I can't watch the games on TV and I try to never miss a game. Heck, I even cancel dates to watch the games...

Is that diehard?

Diehard?

My friend and I travel 4 to 4.5 hours ONE way from Spartanburg, SC to go to at least 8 regular season games a year and the preseason game closest to my birthday, despite the Trash being an hour to hour and a half closer for us. I take my daughter to at least one a year and she's now an avid Caniac. I even got my parents hooked on Hurricanes hockey. I listen in at work when I can't watch the games on TV and I try to never miss a game. Heck, I even cancel dates to watch the games...

Is that diehard?

Yes it is,, you have my vote!!

(must be nice to have the Checkers in Char. now)

Well, I love my Canes! Its just great to get my dad into it. Took him to the Flyers game last year and he loved it. That one went into OT and a shootout, so he got his travels worth. And now him and my mom are going to the Devils/Canes game on New Years day.

Its great to have the AHL team in Charlotte now, so I can fill in the space with them and the new ECHL team in Greenville (the Road Warriors.) Taking my daughter to one of their games tomorrow.

Good to see the sport "grow-up" in NC. With the advent of youth hockey and the minor league teams in place, the base of "die hard" Canes fans is sure to grow.

My wife is a die hard fan. She made it to the Canes "unofficial" injured reserve list last weekend supporting her favorite Cane at the end of the Phoenix Coyotes game. Here's the story.

We watched the game to the bitter end - watched the Canes give up the lead in the final minutes of regulation - and then Anton Babchuk got the overtime goal for the big win! My wife thinks he is cute and decided to adopt him as her "secret" son. When the game ended she hit the stairs to go to bed and I yelled to her to let her know John and Tripp were going to interview "smiley". (That is the name affectionately used to refer to Anton around our seats in Section 117 - rationale . . . he always looks so serious.)

My wife quickly turned on the steps, lost her footing, fell several steps and threw out her right arm to break the fall. Bad choice! She broke her radius bone - BUT - before telling me and showing me her wrist which instantly doubled in size, she sat down to watch the Anton Babchuk interview before announcing that she was in excruciating pain. She has a Hurricane red cast on her right arm. I have vowed to her that I will find a way to get Anton's autograph on the cast sometime soon. Any ideas???