The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
TSA

Poll: How do you get your Canes information?

65 members have voted

1. 1. How do you get your Canes news, information and updates?

• Main CH.com site
    • Twitter feeds
    • Facebook
    • Message boards (any)
    • Canadian Media (ex: TSN, CBC)
    • NHL Network
    • NHL.com
    • US media (ex: Foxsports, ESPN)
    • Fan driven hockey websites (ex: Puckdaddy, TFP, Spectors)
    • Newspapers (online or in hard copy)
    • Hockey publications (ex: The Hockey News)
  2. 2. When using social media....

• I'm an active participant
    • I just like to read the updates

I expected a lot of votes for message boards since this poll is on one but I would have thought twitter and facebook would have accrued a few more votes.

I almost only rely on twitter updates from all the canes news and ppl I follow.

Welcome :)

People that use twitter seem to love it but to me, I feel like I'm eavesdropping in on someone else's conversations. I find it close to impossible to follow what's actually being said when much of it is in response to what someone else has said and so much of it is just re-twitted (if that's even a word) from one person to the next.

That said, this organization does a great job of getting team and player info out through the multiple twitter accounts tied to the Canes. Since so much of whats tweeted is repetitive info, I'd rather read all of it in one twitter account than try and chase around the different pieces of info. Again, the people that use twitter seem to love it and its a great way to get out info quickly but I guess I'm just not one of them that gets it.

TSA - I agree that twitter can be a bit hard to follow and hard to track replies / conversations at times, but on that same note it certainly can cut down on the clutter and force tweeters to get to the point a lot faster!

I agree with your point on duplication as well.

Twitter is now my FIRST source for information. I rely on it extensively, especially when I travel, which is a lot. It is by far the fastest and easiest way to get instant updates and information. Even my son (who is 8) uses it to stay in touch with me. I also love the quick personal analysis and opinion. I've been a voracious reader of blogs and message boards for Canes information for many years, but I have found in the last six months to year that my online consumption has decreased substantially with the quick information available on twitter.

Extensive discussion is better served by blogs and message boards, with twitter used to perhaps initiate the information and then lead to the blog for more detail. If you can't get your point across in 140 characters, it's best published somewhere else.

The Canes organization, IMO, does a VERY effective job in the way they use twitter, by sending out timely updates and links back to the website for additional content. And I really appreciate the humor and personality of the different tweeters.

If you're having difficulty following twitter, and you're just using the twitter web page or perhaps have mobile alerts set up, you may be better served by downloading and using one of the free twitter management applications like UberTwitter (for Blackberry or iPhone), Seismic (for Android or Blackberry) or one of the desktop applications (I use Tweetdeck but there are many). The applications allow you to better categorize and filter twitter content so it's more manageable.

Edited by Dreamie

I am another dinosaur----I don't twitter and I don't especially like facebook, although I have an account.

I go daily to three different canes-related sites (this one included) and I post on all of them.

This site gives the "official" Canes information (though the other sites are very quick to pick up breaking news)

I notice others post on several sites, as well. Because this site is the " face of the Canes" and tied into

the NHL------- the rules and regulations are more rigidly applied on this message board than on others.

However, I enjoy all the boards, which is why I participate in all of them.

GO CANES !!

I get most of my Canes information from game broadcasts. I do frequent HF Boards, the NHL message board, in an effort to keep up with as much of the NHL as I can, but no one talks about the Canes there. I also subscribe to the Hockey News, so I get a tiny bit of Canes news that way. And I'm becoming a frequent talker on message boards, not just a reader.

I get most of my Canes information from game broadcasts. I do frequent HF Boards, the NHL message board, in an effort to keep up with as much of the NHL as I can, but no one talks about the Canes there. I also subscribe to the Hockey News, so I get a tiny bit of Canes news that way. And I'm becoming a frequent talker on message boards, not just a reader.

Welcome :)

I am shocked people use ESPN for their info over TSN

I chose the "American Media" option but not for ESPN. I keep up with almost all my sports stuff on Yahoo Sports.

Usually for the "official" announcements like trades I will see it first on Facebook and then read about it here on the messageboard. I am a fan of the Hurricanes, Flyers, Checkers and TheAHL on Facebook so I see quite a few updates on there.

I'm another one who can't quite get the hang of Twitter.