The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
caniacbeej

Not Sure Cam Is up to Par?

I know it is blasphemy to even suggest such a thing, but I am disapointed in the play of Cam thus far. Although he is moving well post to post and scrambling well, lots of medium range shots are getting by him. All the shots clanking off the posts in the Yotes game,2 in on the short side, tells me he is not the same as before. At least half the shots that have beaten him have been short side, and that never used to happen. Now granted our defensive play has been lacking at times which makes any netminder more vulnerable,and there is no reason to disparage with our improved offensive play,it is entirely possible that this could be a non-factor. I'm not a naysayer but as true fan,sometimes like healthy discussion on issues that have been taaaabbbbooooooo in the past. Just wondering if anyone was seeing what I was.????

I know it is blasphemy to even suggest such a thing, but I am disapointed in the play of Cam thus far. Although he is moving well post to post and scrambling well, lots of medium range shots are getting by him. All the shots clanking off the posts in the Yotes game,2 in on the short side, tells me he is not the same as before. At least half the shots that have beaten him have been short side, and that never used to happen. Now granted our defensive play has been lacking at times which makes any netminder more vulnerable,and there is no reason to disparage with our improved offensive play,it is entirely possible that this could be a non-factor. I'm not a naysayer but as true fan,sometimes like healthy discussion on issues that have been taaaabbbbooooooo in the past. Just wondering if anyone was seeing what I was.????

Why would it be blasphemy? Most here appreciate a healthy multi sided discussion as long as people respect the fact that others may not think the way they do and realize that its entirely possible that all sides could have valid points ;)

I agree with you, while he's looked elite more times than not, he's still prone to the quick mental lapse that costs him shut outs or wins. The defense is not elite by any stretch but they've tightened things up since Finland and have played better as of late. Phoenix was not Cam's best game and if he did end up with the shut out it would have been thanks to DJ's friends the goal posts because Cam was beat 3 times. Only Cam Ward knows why he he opted to play the puck and go behind the net on the tying goal in the Phoenix game but the end result was that it almost cost us two points. Luckily it didn't.

What's getting somewhat annoying is hearing Tripp every game only praising Cam but rarely pointing his off moments. I like hearing the breakdowns of the good and bad especially from someone who knows something about the position.

Agreed. I think he would know to stay in goal with the clock winding down. Let the D work and Cam fill the net from post to post...

Mental lapse for sure... :Aarrg:

I have to agree Cam is not up to par. Hopefully, it is just an early funk and he will find his game soon. I am pleased with the win-loss record at this point in the season, however. I never would thought the Canes would be 4-3 after this long road trip.

Guess Cam's going to have to poop rainbows and pee chocolate to amuse our fan base. We're 4-3 in large part to him with a subpar defense. Gleason and Pits have by far stunk up the first 7 games.

Yea the Yotes game wasn't his best however after our start I can think of far more pressing issues.

Guess Cam's going to have to poop rainbows and pee chocolate to amuse our fan base. We're 4-3 in large part to him with a subpar defense. Gleason and Pits have by far stunk up the first 7 games.

Yea the Yotes game wasn't his best however after our start I can think of far more pressing issues.

:rofl:

Legend, sometimes I feel the 'rainbows and chocolate' need to come from Pitkanen too. Pits logs boatloads of time against the opponent’s top lines, leads the D in scoring and is tied in +/-. His only minus game was Ottawa. But still he gets lots of fan criticism. Yes, he has made PLENTY of lazy passes in to the neutral zone, but at least (for the most part) his lazy passes are getting out of the defensive zone -- which is more than I can say for Gleason and Corvo so far this season.

Back on topic, Cam said on his 99.9 interview today that he made a "big mistake" in going behind the net at that point in the game on the Coyotes third goal. For the season on Cam, the short-side goals are disappointing, but overall I agree with Legend there are more pressing issues (like faceoffs!).

I have to agree with those who think Ward has played well. It has always been an adventure when Ward decides to stick handle. I thought up until the turn over in the Yotes game he has been doing much better handling the puck this year. Last year in the early going we had many times we would give up a goal and then break down and quickly give up another. That worries me more then Wards play between the pipes. IMO He made a mistake. I don't think he will make that same mistake again.

I think if you ask anyone if they would take a goalie with a 4-2 record, they would take it. At the end of the day, it's the W that matters, and Cam has a 4-2 record. It's at the bottom of the to fix list imo. As others mention, face-offs are really what needs to be addressed. :deadhorse:

Edited by Ichigo-1

IMO Cam has played well and consistent with his past. His positioning is excellent, and yes the goalie gets those benefits of pucks hitting pipes. Leaving little to shoot for is part of that picture.

I can recall one great save he made by extending that left leg long across the goal mouth. His flicking of the stick to bat pucks near the goal area is a great addition (except the one time when he lost the stick).

Alternatively, his error vs Phoenix should have never happened, and Marleau schooled him short side when he cheated vs San Jose.

I think if you ask anyone if they would take a goalie with a 4-2 record, they would take it. At the end of the day, it's the W that matters, and Cam has a 4-2 record. It's at the bottom of the to fix list imo. As others mention, face-offs are really what needs to be addressed. :deadhorse:

I think we're beating a skeleton by now, this horse was dead last year....and the year before that.

I would much rather Cam Ward than God forbid Crackers or even Legace.

He has been decent. I like him and think he is a top 10 goalie. We have other

problems (faceoffs and consistent scoring) that we need to fix IMO

I am okay with 4-3 with what we have been through with the zombie trip.

Regarding weekes. Yes overall, but in 2002......."What a save, KEVIN WEEKES!!!" :Goalie:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks!!!!

Regarding weekes. Yes overall, but in 2002......."What a save, KEVIN WEEKES!!!" :Goalie:

I was looking over the stats from that year since it was mentioned, wow. I need a clip of barkley saying "that's turrable"

Some highlights, Tanabe with a -27 +/- :D

Weekes had 14 wins, 2.55 gaa and .912 save% if we must bring it up lol.

Do you guys remember how many games we'd lose in the final 5 minutes from a weak shot on Weekes. Used to make me wanna :bangHead:

Oh and while I was looking through I found this picture of me at work :spin:

I am not normally a "Stat Maven". However in this case I will use them.

# Goalie GPI GS Min GAA W L OT SO SA GA Sv% G A PIM

30 Cam Ward 6 6 367 2.78 4 2 0 0 220 17 .923

This is over 30 shots per game by the way. He is overall 11th in the league.

With this mammoth roadtrip to start perhaps we shuld wait a few weeks to "hoist him on his own petard".

Just another opinion.

OK---- Next.

well, my cent and a half. ward is human. he has won more than he has lost. his job is to give us a chance to win games, and he has done that. he has saved our butts when we shouldnt have won games, conversely, he has lost us a few. i would put money on it he has won more we shouldnt haves than he lost for us. and that is with an ok at best defense.

What it all comes down to is that a goalie is only as good as the people he has infront of him. You cannot expect a goalie to save everything. Maybe the first save, and then the second save. But once that goalie is on his back from making a diving save and the defense still hasn't cleared the puck do you honestly expect the goalie to make a 3rd save. I mean really people? Have you see how much of a problem we have not being able to clear people from the crease. Most of those goals have been from screens or 3rd attempts. Have you seen the breakaways that Cam has had great saves on? You say you are not sure Cam is up to par. I say I am not sure if our defense is up to par. And that right there is my 2 cents!

Edited by bluedevil58

Let's see, "par" kind of means "average". And not quite up to par, would mean not quite average. To be charitable one would have to consider a player who is below average to be playing around their best if they were playing average....so....by that logic........

Ha! No way am I going to open that up again.

It is too early in the year to rely too much on stats. Tim Thomas has a save % of .978 for crying out loud. Nice gig, Bruins goalie, inflates your stats nicely.

Anyway, this team is largely run and gun, and wide open, which is great, but teams have generally gotten a lot of point blank shots, especially the first 4 games. Cam's looking good to me over all. I think he'll be strong.

Let's have this conversation in about a month.

It could be worse. He could be going all Luongo on us. I think he's done very well this year and made the stops he's needed to make and swallowed a lot of rebounds that would have been in our net if he handn't, and to me, that's a big difference maker (see what happened to Neimi when we played them, he was a rebound machine.) Most of the goals that have went shortside on him are all defensive issues in our end, mainly not getting the puck out when they could. Yeah, he had a brain fart against Pheonix trying to play the puck, but other than that, he's been very good.

Edited by jmburre

I myself ( normally very critical of Cam) think that he started off this year very good and yes he has slipped a little (probably from long road trips). But what I did like earlier this year was his attitude,when he won that shootout he was all pumped up and he showed alot of emotion. I hope he gets that back and gets back to that type of emotional play.I think it really helps the rest of the team when the goalie is very upbeat and positive!!