The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

2010-11 Team News and In-between Game Updates

well i know its a toronto announcer[during leafs and thrashers game] but he thinks eric staal will be back tuesday against panthers... god i hope hes right..

They'll know more tomorrow dinz. He'll get re-tested and see how he does compared to his baseline test scores. I really hope they err on the side of caution, sucks to play without him but it would suck much worse to play without him for the rest of the season and even jeopardize the next season. What's pretty clear is that he had his bell rung....hard.

good point tsa, so if we want to make a run[or if JR thinks WE CAN MAKE A RUN[ GOING to have to make a huge deal to get center and dman.. got to give alot to get alot.. i hope im not sitting at tv all day hoping for this.. but i may be.. minnesota in hunt for playoffs... so cant do cullen.. how about penner or hemsky and one of their dman for joni, dalpe and a number 2?? or would it take our number 1? do we keep joni?? :)Never sure its such a love hate thing.. kinna like some of my relationships before i got married :twilight-zone:

Canes Recall Drayson Bowman from Charlotte

Forward earned 10 points in 13 games in February

Thursday, 03.10.2011 / 5:11 PM / News

By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Drayson Bowman from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Bowman, 22, began the 2010-11 season with Carolina, and played in the Hurricanes’ first eight games before being assigned to Charlotte on Oct. 31. Bowman (6’1”, 190 lbs.), who was born in Grand Rapids, MI, but raised in Littleton, CO, is in his second professional season and has scored 12 goals and earned 18 assists (30 points) in 51 games this season with the Checkers. In 107 career AHL games with Carolina’s top minor-league affiliates, he has scored 29 goals and earned 33 assists (62 points). Bowman made his NHL debut with the Hurricanes on Jan. 16, 2010, and has scored two goals in 17 career NHL games. The Hurricanes drafted Bowman in the third round, 72nd overall, in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

And the lines for Friday (as of right now):

Maurice says lines from ATL game (Ruutu with Staal; Cole with Jokinen) will start vs. WSH tomorrow.

On Bowman: Bowman, who started the season with the Canes, scored 10 points in 13 games with Charlotte in February

Some practice updates from Paul: 3/14/11

• With the exception of Jamie McBain (upper-body, out indefinitely) all Hurricanes players are on the ice for Monday's practice.
  • Paul Maurice says that Jamie McBain will have an MRI this afternoon to determine extent of his injury.
  • Maurice on upcoming games in Buffalo and vs. Toronto: "These two games, starting tomorrow night, are critical pieces to our season
  • Really nice scoring play by Bowman just now at practice - power move to outside and picked corner on Ward. He can shoot.

•Maurice on upcoming games in Buffalo and vs. Toronto: "These two games, starting tomorrow night, are critical pieces to our season

hmmm, so when mo said before last week " this week is really critical to our playoff chances and we need 5-6 points this week".. he was kidding? and it was really this week that is critical?

guess its like the Princess bride with Mo and "canes aren't dead, just "mostly dead".

And if we lose these 2( really hope we win!), guess mo will come out enxt week with another "really , really critical to our season to beat the sen's and tampa back to back"

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cory Stillman on the Power Play issues from Canes Now (N & O):

What's been lacking the most: confidence or execution? Stillman has an idea.

"Better execution and better confidence," he said. "Power plays go through cycles where you can't get in their zone, where you're always coming back to your zone. Or you're in their zone but not getting shots. Or you have opportunities but you're hitting the goalie or missing the net."

That pretty much sums up what's been happening to the Canes. But how to fix it?

"It's a matter of getting one and sticking with the system, sticking with the program," Stillman said. "Once you get one it's going to open. And soon as you do that, you have the confidence and you'll probably see us score two or three in a game.

"It can turn very quickly. It takes each group out there to score a power play goal, and when it turns it can turn quickly."

The Canes spent a big part of today's practice working on the power play. There were three units, including a third one with Drayson Bowman, Brandon Sutter and Chad LaRose. The first forward group had Eric Staal with Stillman and Tuomo Ruutu, and the second was Jussi Jokinen, Jeff Skinner and Erik Cole.

Manning the points were defensemen Joni Pitkanen and Joe Corvo, and Tim Gleason and Jay Harrison.

"The people we have are capable of doing it," Canes coach Paul Maurice said today. "I don't think we're at a point right now where we're going to be snapping it around, a six-pass goal. I think it's going to have to be simple and it's going to have to be direct. And then we've got to finish around the net.

Full blog article from Chip Alexander: Stillman: Power play can 'turn quickly'

Some practice updates from Paul: 3/14/11

• With the exception of Jamie McBain (upper-body, out indefinitely) all Hurricanes players are on the ice for Monday's practice.
  • Paul Maurice says that Jamie McBain will have an MRI this afternoon to determine extent of his injury.
  • Maurice on upcoming games in Buffalo and vs. Toronto: "These two games, starting tomorrow night, are critical pieces to our season
  • Really nice scoring play by Bowman just now at practice - power move to outside and picked corner on Ward. He can shoot.

Hopefully it was a great shot by Bowman and not another softy given up by Cam!!! :grin:

Practice update from Paul 3/24

Staal still not practicing, though that was expected from yesterday. Everyone else who missed yesterday is back

Practice update from Paul: 3/28

Joni Pitkanen (illness) is back on the ice this morning. Staal, Ward, Gleason and Corvo are not practicing.
Maurice expects all of his players to be available for tomorrow's game in Washington. No decision on scratches until tomorrow

Paul Maurice post practice audio

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio/interviews/maurice032811.mp3

Also, congrats to Zack Boychuk who was named the AHL player of the week with 5 goals and 5 assists in 4 games

Practice update 4/1 April fools Day

Staal, Corvo not skating today, but everyone else is accounted for

Although Harrison may be available to play if needed, Maurice does not expect lineup changes for tomorrow's game at NYI.

Player exit interviews scheduled for tomorrow 4/11 with management, coaches and media.

do you know what time they are doing this?

Probably starting in the morning. Do you wear a Canes jersey with Category 5 on the back to games?

Probably starting in the morning. Do you wear a Canes jersey with Category 5 on the back to games?

no, though i never thought of that, i think there is a youth hockey group that is called category 5 hockey or something the league is called that cat 5.