The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
BigMiike

Surgery Scheduled for November 10th!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be undergoing a vertical sleeve gastroectomy, a weight loss surgery. I want to let as many people know as possible. Some people try and keep it a secret, but not me. First of all I want to educate people about the surgery if it is something that they are interested in getting. Hopefully, it will also become obvious that I am doing something and the more people know ahead of time, the less questions I will have to answer.:)

The reason that I have waited so long is that I always thought I would be able to do it on my own. I often lost lots of weight, but I always gained it back and more. I also used to think that surgery was the "easy way out" and all you had to do was get the surgery and the weight just comes off. Boy, was I wrong! There is a lot of work that you have to do or you not have any success at all.

I started the process 2 years ago and it is finally becoming a reality. Prayers will be very appreciated!!

I will be missing a few games in November, but hopefully I will be feeling well enough to attend them.

My bad, meant to post in off-topic.

Way to get a sponsor advertisement in :lol:

Good luck to you, lots of folks will be praying for your speedy recovery.

Good luck with it Mike, hope all goes well. My wife had Gastric Bypass at Duke the last week of July and so far has lost about 70 lbs. Get ready for a new wardrobe!!!

PS, can I have your Stanley Cup ring??? It'll be WAY too big!!!! :P

Dwight

Mike,

Good for you and good luck. I know how hard it is myself. I bet I have lost over 400 pounds over the past 10 years only to put it back on again and then some.

Keep us posted and send us something or have someone post on the boards to let us know you OK on the 10th.

Will be watching eagerly to see you back at the games!

Good luck Mike! While I am not (nor are most people) a big fan of surgery, I've had a few operations at Rex in the past couple of years. They are great people over there and the staff does a great job.

Hope to see you back at the games soon!

My bad, meant to post in off-topic.

you are part of the Canes' organization and, as such, this post is where it belongs. take care of yourself and hope to see you as soon as you have recovered from the surgery

bigmike, good luck! so ur the famous horn blower i always hear at rbc?

Well, he's the GOOD one. There are 'bootleg blowers' that could never duplicate Mike.

Best of luck Mike. We will all be keeping you in our thoughts and wish you a QUICK recovery. Please let me know if there are tryouts for a temporary horn blowing replacement. A man can dream... and my family says I am full of hot air!

Best wishes.

Eric

Good Luck Big Mike... Having several friends that have gone through it there are no regrets but lots of "after" work. My only question is why couldn't you have this done during the offseason so as not to impact all the rookies on the team? They are going to miss your horn leadership while you're out but maybe Eric can pick up your slack :P

Edited by bag12day

Well, he's the GOOD one. There are 'bootleg blowers' that could never duplicate Mike.

My prayers are with Big Mike.

I am a "bootleg" hornblower. I assure you I can hold my own in this regard. From Section 338

Thanks for the support everyone. The one thing that will help me out the most is prayers! Hopefully we will beat Edmonton so I can have good feelings going into Surgery Wednesday morning.

Mike, I prayed for you this morning and will continue to as you recover. My co-worker had this surgery, so I kinda know what you'll be up against.

We really missed you in Helsinki! You have been my son's favorite since we went to Atlanta on that roadtrip. He doesn't come to all the games, but when he's there, he looks for you. Thanks for always speaking to him and giving him a high-five.

You are a blessing to the team and especially the Caniac Nation. Prayers are powerful, as I'm sure you already know, so just know that I'm lifting you up, my friend. Thanks for everything you do.

God bless,

Carla