The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

Jeff Skinner early ROY? Now nominated!

I just want to say think we may have our next Caulder winner in Jeff skinner! Huge Kudos to Rutherford for this pick. I will eat my heaping plate of crow , that wanted a Defenseman at the draft( fowler,gormley, carlson or gubbranson) and wasn't that happy with Skinner.

But he has shown since camp, preseason and now the Season, that he has that "it" factor and scoring touch you can't teach and either born with, or not. He is willing to go down low despite his small size and so far has been holding his own, and when in Space has undressed Goalies.

It will be fun all year to watch his progress and if he can hold up to the 80 game 'grind" or as many before hit that rookie wall and will see if can push through it.

What do people think? Can he get he Caulder

From ESPN's buccigrass(best hockey guy they have) Q/A:

Hey Bucci,

Your thoughts on who might be the front runner for the Calder this year? As a Bruin fan, I've got high hope for Tyler Seguin. It's been a small sample size and he obviously has a long way to go, but you can already see flashes of why this guy was drafted so high.

Also, was curious what you thought of the new Guster album? Probably my second favorite Guster album to date, if not my overall favorite. Highly recommended if you haven't gone through the whole thing yet. I'll be checking them out in NYC at the Beacon theater this weekend -- first time seeing them since 2007 when I saw your SportsCenter opener for them in Boston.

Cheers,

Joe

The Calder race is going to be sizzling this season. In net we have two goalies in Michal Neuvirth and Sergei Bobrovsky. Seguin will be in the mix with Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Jeff Skinner, Tyler Ennis, P.K. Subban, John Carlson and others. It will be difficult for Tyler Seguin to win because the Bruins are deep and Claude Julien rolls four lines. Eberle and Hall will have much more ice time than Seguin and will therefore likely put up bigger numbers. And don't sleep on Skinner of the Hurricanes. The dude is legit despite being the youngest player in the NHL. (It's now official: There is a player in the NHL younger than my firstborn.) Skinner is an electric player who can shoot and make plays. If I had to handicap the field at this moment, my guess is the winner of rookie of the year will be Eberle, Hall, Skinner, Neuvirth or Bobrovsky.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/page/buccigross_mailbag_101102/alfredsson-future-devils-woes-music

Also nice to see skinner's face all over the rookie stats:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm#?navid=nav-ply-rkies

Edited by canes-in-7

Man it took me forever to figure out ROY meant rookie of the year and not Patrick Roy.

:coollaugh:

Figured 'rookie of year" took up too much space in title. So ROY better.

Well on topic who do you think wins it?

:coollaugh:

Figured 'rookie of year" took up too much space in title. So ROY better.

Well on topic who do you think wins it?

I think its way too early to guess. He's in the mix based upon the first 12 games.

I'm rooting for Skinner but it's a long season. I think it'd be big ups for our organization to get a Calder under our belts.

I refuse to call Skinner for it, hockey gods and all :)

I think at this point in the season, it would probably be neck and neck between Skinner and Eberle. There's a lot of games left though.

Of Course early- but on a cold november day, figured a good topic to get a convo going. Btw we do have a Calder winner on the team already :thumbsup:

Which many probably don't know or remember.

here's another props for skinner as rookie of year:

Jeff Skinner making a case for the Calder Trophy

When the Calder candidates were discussed in the off-season, names like Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Nikita Filatov, P.K Subban, and Nazem Kadri were mentioned. One player that seemed to fly under the radar was the 7th overall pick in the 2010 draft, Jeff Skinner.

When the Carolina Hurricanes drafted Jeff Skinner there was uncertainty on whether or not he would make the team out of camp. He was coming off a fantastic year with the Kitchener Rangers, putting up 50 goals and 40 assists in 64 regular season games, and 20 goals and 13 assists in 20 playoff games. These stats proved he mastered the Junior hockey level, but didn’t assure him a spot in the National hockey league.

In pre-season hockey Jeff Skinner put up 1 goal and 1 assist in 4 games for the Carolina Hurricanes. During these games Skinner made a case for himself to make the club, playing a solid two-way game with signs of offensive flair.

After pre-season hockey General Manager Jim Rutherford, and Coach Paul Maurice decided to give Jeff Skinner a shot at the NHL. This decision was based on Skinner’s strong play in training camp, as well as the Hurricanes lack of offensive depth.

Jeff Skinner has been a pleasant surprise this year with the Hurricanes. He is currently leading the team in points, with 4 goals and 6 assists in 12 games. Skinner’s point production has not been his only asset this year, Skinner’s shown an impressive defensive game maintaining a plus/minus ratio of +2.

Jeff Skinner has arguably been the most impressive rookie this year. Skinner is currently leading all rookies in points, with 10 points on the year. He’s also tied with Jordan Eberle and Mark Letestu in goals, with 4 goals each. It’s these stats that make critics believe Jeff Skinner will be in the running for the Calder trophy.

contin

http://www.sportshaze.com/2010-nhl-carolina-hurricanes-jeff-skinner-making-a-case-for-the-calder-trophy/

I could care less if he wins the calder. What I care most about is will this guy be a dynamic offensive scoring machine by the age of 23? I think so. Chicago has Kane and Toews, Pens have malkin and Crosby, Tampa has Stamkos and Lecavier. Will it be Carolina has Staal and Skinner? That would be awesome!

Way too early in the season. I think will be a great player in time. I hope he pushes Staal to better performance. I have not been impressed with Staal's play so far this season.

Well Staal had a real good game last night, was interesting to see Staal and Skinner on the points on the 5-3, and a nice blast for a goal from Staal

It's WAY too early, but he needs to keep putting up points and stay healthy. The rookie class this season is outstanding! And it should be a good race to the end.

There is MOST definitely a little competition now between Skinner and Staal. No way does Staal want an 18yo outscoring him.

I think skinners gonna take it. theres something about him, I don't think he's gonna be a slumper(like staal), he's gonna be consistent and put up 30 plus goals and 75points at least this year. I also think he will be a 45plus goal scorer for the majority of his career. I think he will lead us for the future. I feel like we've gotten one of the best ever. the only thing that will stop him is head hunters trying to hurt him, but he seems smart enough and good enough to avoid getting crushed with his head down. I wanna see him challenge staal as the top scorer and hopefully him and staal will have a healthy competitive scoring race every year and lead us to the playoffs.

It's WAY too early, but he needs to keep putting up points and stay healthy. The rookie class this season is outstanding! And it should be a good race to the end.

There is MOST definitely a little competition now between Skinner and Staal. No way does Staal want an 18yo outscoring him.

Yep alot of good rook's this year, from the edmonton duo to the crapitals,navcouver and philly Goalies to carlson on "D" a very varied class of rookies. Good to see this new talent coming in to excite fans and booster the NHL.

And that is just an 'added bonus" to Skinner's good play- if it Pushes Staal to be better, that is all good :cheers:

The Hockey News has noticed....

Fantasy Pool Look: The skinny on Jeff Skinner

article_36188_2.jpg

Jeff Skinner was picked seventh overall by Carolina in the 2010 NHL draft. (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)

membre_42.jpg

Darryl Dobbs /The Hockey News

2010-11-06 11:35:00

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/36188-Fantasy-Pool-Look-The-skinny-on-Jeff-Skinner.html

With every game he plays, 18-year-old Markham, Ont., native Jeff Skinner shows why he is quickly becoming the most coveted 2010 draftee in fantasy hockey. The Hurricanes organization fell in love with this kid immediately and we’re finding out why.

Not the biggest or strongest of players, Skinner was drafted into an organization that already had several potential top-sixers who were within two years of making the team. With Drayson Bowman, Zach Boychuk, Jiri Tlusty, Zac Dalpe and the underrated Jonathan Matsumoto all vying for a spot, what chance did an undersized teenager have?

But the 5-foot-10, 193-pound Skinner has outplayed all of them. He’s outplayed fellow 2010 draftees Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin and he’s outplayed (and out-produced) the entire Carolina roster, including Eric Staal.

A 50-goal scorer for the Kitchener Rangers last year, the 2010 seventh overall draft pick now finds himself on Mr. Staal’s line. In his first game there, he picked up two points. As long as he’s in that plum spot, the points will come rolling in.

Within a few seasons, you could be looking at a 50-goal, 100-point player. Now, whenever I say stuff like that keep in mind players rarely get there - he is just one of the few who “could” theoretically do so. The hands and hockey sense are there and he’s certainly on the right track. Count on 60 points this season and at least 25 goals - it seems pretty likely he will at the very least round into a point-per-game player or close to it…

Within a few seasons, you could be looking at a 50-goal, 100-point player. Now, whenever I say stuff like that keep in mind players rarely get there - he is just one of the few who “could” theoretically do so. The hands and hockey sense are there and he’s certainly on the right track. Count on 60 points this season and at least 25 goals - it seems pretty likely he will at the very least round into a point-per-game player or close to it…

WOW nice praise! And sure do hope his "projections" do happen, only once in the hurricanes history( not counting whale) have we ever had a 100 pt scorer with Staal( 2005/06) and never a 50 goal scorer.Be nice in the future to see A consistant 40 goal 80+ scorer to go with Staal

I know it is early, but based on what we've seen thusfar, it is fair to say that JR and the scouting staff deserve some serious credit for this pick. With all those forward prospects in the system, with two of the big three defensemen still on the board, and with the central scouting and mock drafts all having Skinner lower to much lower, that was a great pick.

Sure it's easy for us now to see his skill, but a LOT of experts missed this kid being this good.

In one of the supposed best drafts in a long time, for us to even be having Skinner in the Caulder discussion is a win.

And to think he's only 18.

Nice.

Fun with statistics:

Jeff Skinner has more points than:

Marion Hossa

Eric Staal

Jeff Carter

Anze Kopitar

Evgeni Malkin

John Tavares

Rick Nash

To name a few.

The real test is gonna be in the next month when team's start putting his name on the chalkboard to shutdown when they play us. Staal will tell you once teams get serious about defending you things start getting frustrating. On the flip side you can't aim at Staal and Skinner if their on 2 different lines. Truthfully teams may already be paying to much attention to Skinner which could be why Cole is looking so free in space at times?

Edited by legend-1

And don't forget Sutter lurking in the wings, hopefully waiting to explode. What a trio of problems the three of them could wreak on the opposition.

I know it is early, but based on what we've seen thusfar, it is fair to say that JR and the scouting staff deserve some serious credit for this pick. With all those forward prospects in the system, with two of the big three defensemen still on the board, and with the central scouting and mock drafts all having Skinner lower to much lower, that was a great pick.

Sure it's easy for us now to see his skill, but a LOT of experts missed this kid being this good.

In one of the supposed best drafts in a long time, for us to even be having Skinner in the Caulder discussion is a win.

And to think he's only 18.

Nice.

exactly and As I posted originally Many people( me included) didn't like the Pick, and So far have to give huge kudos to JR and the Scouts for taking this risk, when many easoer choices could have been made-guess this is why we are Posters and not Gm's :thumbsup:

And don't forget Sutter lurking in the wings, hopefully waiting to explode. What a trio of problems the three of them could wreak on the opposition.

really hope Sutter finds his game again, think he may be injured and not talking about it-he is not the same player as last year, hopefully not just a sophmore slump