The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

Jeff Skinner early ROY? Now nominated!

Hall, Skinner meet again

BY CHIP ALEXANDER - Staff writer

RALEIGH -- He's younger than John Wall or Sam Bradford, and he certainly looks it.

If Taylor Hall had walked through Crabtree Valley Mall on Monday, he probably wouldn't have drawn a glance, much less an autograph request. To many, he would be just another teenager at the mall.

But not in Canada. The Edmonton Oilers made Hall the No. 1 overall pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He has that in common with Bradford, the No. 1 pick by the St. Louis Rams in the 2010 NFL draft, and Wall, the top selection in this year's NBA draft by the Washington Wizards.

Hall is a Canadian kid playing in the NHL in a Canadian city and in an arena where Wayne Gretzky once won Stanley Cups. At 18, he's being asked to resurrect a proud franchise that has fallen on hard times.

Let Hall stroll through a mall in Edmonton and many a teenager - and more than few elders - probably would swarm around him. Talk about hockey in a fishbowl. It's a little different than Jeff Skinner being 18 and playing for the Carolina Hurricanes.

"Definitely there are expectations, but that comes from playing in a Canadian market," Hall said Monday in an interview. "I think you can take it personally or you can take it with a grain of salt and make sure you're playing your game and having fun every day you come to the rink."

contin

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/11/09/790606/hall-skinner-meet-again.html#ixzz14nJG0jLb

Well if tonight's match-up between Skinner and Hall is any indication as to who is the more dominant rookie... it was clearly a one sided victory for the youngest player in the league. And if analysts are as obsessed with the drama of having them go head to head in a game, and we all know they love drama, then Skinner just got a huge boost with his 3 point game against Edmonton.

Way to go Skinny :notworthy:

I could care less if he wins the calder. What I care most about is will this guy be a dynamic offensive scoring machine by the age of 23? I think so. Chicago has Kane and Toews, Pens have malkin and Crosby, Tampa has Stamkos and Lecavier. Will it be Carolina has Staal and Skinner? That would be awesome!

I just about echo these statements. While it would be cool if Skinner wins the ROY, I'd really love for him to be "Staal's right hand man" so to speak, and a guy that can really put up a load of points.

People say things happen for a reason, and this team not playing well last season right now looks like it's having it's upside as Skinner is showing great promise. He already IMO has shades of Staals 05-06 season, anyone remember how fun Staal was to watch that year?, same thing with Skinner.

I seriously believe if he keeps going at the pace he is, within a month we will start to see Skinner jerseys and shirts throughout Raleigh. He has the potential at being the kind of player that sells more tickets and keeps fans young and old, new and native, coming back for more.

Edited by captain_jack88

I seriously believe if he keeps going at the pace he is, within a month we will start to see Skinner jerseys and shirts throughout Raleigh. He has the potential at being the kind of player that sells more tickets and keeps fans young and old, new and native, coming back for more.

I was at the game tonight and spotted quite a few Skinner jersey's and shirts already. He looked really good tonight. He's got a great knack for positioning and reading plays.

Skins is really exciting to watch. I don't care if he wins the Calder, I just want him to have a full, healthy, and productive rookie year. Not only CAN he feed Staal, but more importantly, I think he can push him too. It's just great!

really hope Sutter finds his game again, think he may be injured and not talking about it-he is not the same player as last year, hopefully not just a sophmore slump

Sutter is nursing an injury for sure, and it happened very early in the season, whatever it is. During an intermission interview, I saw him and Freisen walk out of a room at the same time and he was grimacing a little (IIRC) and no one else was around (besides the player being interviewed) and he looked less than 100% from then on. It's a good thing we don't need him on 2nd line duty right now. At least on the 3rd he can get a few less minutes.

It's no slump; something is definitely nagging him and you aren't the only one to notice.

Edited by hctimo787

Here's another feature on Skinner. Thought y'all might enjoy it.

http://insidehockey.com/?p=11555

Nice article thanks!

And each game its great seeing something "new" from Skinner, he was dazzling again last night, and doing it in front of the Canadian press and 2 of his Caulder compeititors just makes it sweeter, imo. If anyone missed his Goal las night, just a thing of beauty and something you can't teach, either have that "it" and goal scorer or do not.

1:48 a beautiful pass that rookie just usually don't make to Corvo

6:21- even the edmonton announcer "WOW"

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20102011,2,205&fr=false

Edited by canes-in-7

I thought he would be good. But not this good. So ummmmmm yeah.........When can we start calling him a stud? It's obvious this is going to be a special player. There are very few in the league that can come in at 18 years of age and be an impact now type of player. We have a star in the making............

I thought he would be good. But not this good. So ummmmmm yeah.........When can we start calling him a stud? It's obvious this is going to be a special player. There are very few in the league that can come in at 18 years of age and be an impact now type of player. We have a star in the making............

yep looks real good, the next big tests for Skinner as people have posted will be:

1. Teams will now start Game planning and looking for him,especially Defenseman- how he adjusts to this will speak alot.

2.The rookie wall- rarely do players, especially at 18 or 19, not run into it in january/febuary. How Skinner reacts and if he can push through all the banging and long road trips and schedule he has never had to deal with, will show even more his Charachter and Both Physical and Mental make up.

Don't want to get too over the top, but Skinner may be the best thing that's happened to this team since the Cup. Still very early, but he shows signs of becoming a real breakout star in the NHL, which means increased exposure in this market and elsewhere, which is exactly what this team needs right now. He's a great story as the youngest player, and all the opposing team announcers have spent a lot of time talking about him. He's arguably the best and most exciting player on the team right now.

he is what we have sorely needed on our team for a while. staal can be solid, but there isn't so much scoring flair and just pure excitement when i see skinner go over the boards. other people see that too. i would guess that is why they talk about him so much, even the enemy announcers. if he does handle himself well when it comes to the grind of a full nhl season, then without any homeristic influences, i think he will be the rookie of the year. there are others that will give him a run for the money, but when it said and done, i think the cinderella story of being a dark horse in the draft to this level of play with the big club will be just to much to ignore, with the caveat that he continues his play.

Skinner is the next Gretzky. Like the Great One, he has more assists (9) than anyone else has points (8), and also leads everyone in goals (6; the next nearest is 5). :groupwave:

As some announcer oh The Fly last night said that Skinner is very lucky to be a small market team like Carolina. He can fly under the radar with too much pressure on him. I think his teammates are protective of him. We have never had the "superstar" mentality on our team, and all this bodes well for Skinners development as a player, but also as a person in the "spotlight"

I feel sorry for Taylor Hall in that fish bowl in Edmonton.

Skinner is so much fun to watch and there is no doubt anymore that he has the talent. If he continues to play as he is and avoids injury he will be among the top rookies. But it's a long season and other rookies will find their game So many things can still happen. I'm cautiously optimistic SKinner will be picked ROY. It doesn't really matter to me as a fan if he is chosen or not. I just enjoy watching this kid play.

he is what we have sorely needed on our team for a while. staal can be solid, but there isn't so much scoring flair and just pure excitement when i see skinner go over the boards. other people see that too. i would guess that is why they talk about him so much, even the enemy announcers. if he does handle himself well when it comes to the grind of a full nhl season, then without any homeristic influences, i think he will be the rookie of the year. there are others that will give him a run for the money, but when it said and done, i think the cinderella story of being a dark horse in the draft to this level of play with the big club will be just to much to ignore, with the caveat that he continues his play.

That is what like the most the "buzz" and people wanting to see him- really helps with attendance and publicity- bet the canes will be marketing him more shortly. We need the boost at games

Skinner setting pace

BY LUKE DECOCK - Staff Writer

RALEIGH -- Jeff Skinner awoke Wednesday morning to find himself standing alone atop the NHL's list of leading rookie scorers, with 15 points in his first 15 NHL games.

The youngest player in the league was even tied for 14th in scoring in the entire league, sharing that position with established stars like Pavel Datsyuk, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Patrick Kane, Martin St. Louis and Dany Heatley. Oh, and Carolina Hurricanes teammate Eric Staal.

Still, the stats don't really capture exactly what has made the 18-year-old such an instant success with the Hurricanes.

But it's those stats that will drive the inevitable Calder Trophy speculation, and while Skinner may not have been on anyone's watch list to start the year - teammate Jamie McBain made a few, based on his strong showing at the end of last season, and could still end up in contention - Skinner is sure to make all of them now.

cont in link

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/11/11/795294/skinner-setting-pace.html#ixzz14z3zamNu

Edited by canes-in-7

Skinner has crazy skill but the thing that amazes me is his tenaciousness with the puck. I keep thinking that these grizzled, bigger veteran NHL defenseman will just knock him off the puck and take it. But he drives and drives and like a surfer in a tube seemingly about to get crushed, he pops out, near the net with the puck still on his stick. That kind of tenaciousness is infectious. Other guys are not going to give up on the play, knowing that there is a good chance that there will be shot and rebound or a pass even when the play seems shut down.

What a pick.

Skinner has crazy skill but the thing that amazes me is his tenaciousness with the puck. I keep thinking that these grizzled, bigger veteran NHL defenseman will just knock him off the puck and take it. But he drives and drives and like a surfer in a tube seemingly about to get crushed, he pops out, near the net with the puck still on his stick. That kind of tenaciousness is infectious. Other guys are not going to give up on the play, knowing that there is a good chance that there will be shot and rebound or a pass even when the play seems shut down.

What a pick.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/1773/stock-up-stock-down-niittymaki-solid

Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes: I'm loving this kid. Skinner is finding ways to score and force his way up the Hurricanes' depth chart. Originally on the fourth line, he has now passed Brandon Sutter as far as the talent he gets on his wings. Playing with Erik Cole and Tuomo Ruutu of late, Skinner has four goals and four assists in his past seven games. That includes three power-play points as part of the second unit.

Skins is really exciting to watch. I don't care if he wins the Calder, I just want him to have a full, healthy, and productive rookie year. Not only CAN he feed Staal, but more importantly, I think he can push him too. It's just great!

Sutter is nursing an injury for sure, and it happened very early in the season, whatever it is. During an intermission interview, I saw him and Freisen walk out of a room at the same time and he was grimacing a little (IIRC) and no one else was around (besides the player being interviewed) and he looked less than 100% from then on. It's a good thing we don't need him on 2nd line duty right now. At least on the 3rd he can get a few less minutes.

It's no slump; something is definitely nagging him and you aren't the only one to notice.

Yeah think it is an undisclosed injury with Sutter- thursday in the 3rd period Sutter got hit hard into the Boards, and grabbed his shoulder, and went to the bench, and watched him on the bench in alot of pain and Freisen coming over and trying to massage it- So think it wasn't new and something there before.Hope he gets better soon, we need him

Jeff Skinner inspires all-time rook list

Nov 107:45AM ETEmailPrintCommentsBy E.J. Hradek

Clearly, Carolina Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner wasn't happy to be left off the top five of my Calder Watch list last Wednesday. Since then, the 18-year-old has rolled up seven points in four games to take an early stranglehold on the league's rookie scoring race with 15 points in 15 games. Even the most mathematically challenged (like me) can figure out that averages out to a point per game.

Skinner's strong start got me thinking about the most impressive rookie seasons in league history. When you go through the record book, there are quite a few to consider.

After consulting with my spiritual puck advisor, Barry Melrose, I opted against including Wayne Gretzky's sensational 1979-80 NHL debut campaign (51 goals, 86 assists, 137 points) because he wasn't eligible for Calder Trophy consideration as a former WHA skater. For the record, starting the 1978-79 WHA season as a 17-year-old, the Great One totaled 104 points in 72 games. Not bad, eh?

Working with the almighty Mullet (Melrose), here's the top-five list of most impressive rookie seasons in NHL history that we agreed on.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?name=hradek_ej&id=5787067&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnhl%2fblog%3fname%3dhradek_ej%26id%3d5787067

Edited by canes-in-7

Skinner breaks into top 100:( and agree he should be getting more time with Staal soon)

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/hockey/fhl/story?page=frontline101115

Top 100 Forwards

Note: Sean Allen's top 100 forwards are ranked for their expected performance in ESPN standard leagues from this point on, not on the statistics that have already been accrued. ESPN standard stats include goals, assists, power-play points, shots on goal, plus/minus, penalty minutes and average time on ice. Last week's ranking is indicated in parentheses.

18. Eric Staal, Car (18)

99. Jeff Skinner, Car (NR)

Rising and Falling

Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes (debuts at No. 99): Skinner finally pulls rank with his numbers and makes the list this week. And looking at the way things are going for the Hurricanes, one can't help but think Skinner's stock is going to continue to rise quickly. After getting dominated in consecutive games, one has to think the coaching staff will buckle and start putting Skinner with the only other constant offensive force on the team, Eric Staal. The pair actually hasn't worked together too much this season, with Skinner working his way up the depth chart from the fourth line. One has to think the team will want to generate a lot more offense after seeing touchdowns scored on them in recent outings. Skinner has 15 points in 17 games and if he starts seeing first-line duty, that total could get more impressive.

Edited by canes-in-7

Suprised the Voting not closer, though "bob" has been playing great, but only 14%?

SportsNation( at bottom of page)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/

Which rookie has had the Most impressive Start to the Season?

46% flyers Sergei Bobvorsky

10% Oilers Jordan Eberle

9% Sabers Tyler ennis

22% Capitals Michal Neuvirth

14% Hurricanes Jeff skinner

Well with all teams having played 20+ games( 1/4 point of season), thought would revisit where the calder so far stands- There are arguments for Skinner, "Bob",neuvrith and Couture

http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm#?navid=nav-ply-rkies

Personally right now would have to give a slight edge to "Bob' for his 12 wins and 2.24 GAA on philly over skinners 17 points and 6 goals..Think this race will go on all year and with goalies especically you never know what will happen or if they continue hot or hit that wall once teasm get tape of their move and weakness they didn't know until now

A Goal and a assist for Skinner today!, guess he likes these games against other ROY and hyped rookies.. had 3 points against taylor hall, adds 2 against tyler Sequin today.. great job jeff!, strange seeing him and larose on the same line, that's some serious smurfdom! :hockey: