The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

Jeff Skinner early ROY? Now nominated!

Calder Trophy tracker: 'Bob' leads the packTuesday, 11.23.2010 / 5:40 PM / Trophy Tracker By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

Last season, Buffalo defenseman Tyler Myers ran away with the Calder Trophy, earning 400 more points than Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard, who was the first runner-up.

Will it be closer this year?

The 2010-11 race certainly has the making of a classic, featuring a Cinderalla story goaltyender in Philadelphia, a gamble at forward paying off in Carolina and a can't-miss defenseman playing at a far higher level than his age would suggest in Washington DC.

So, who will take home Calder this spring? There's too much hockey left to be played to make that brash a decision, but NHL.com's Mike Morreale is ready to tell you who has been the League's best rookie through the first quarter of the season.

winner:

Sergei Bobrovsky, Philadelphia Flyers -- Bobrovsky has turned potential into reality. The 22-year-old Russian arrived in North America this fall as one of the game's most intriguing prospects. By November, he has become one of the League's best goalies. He's tied for second in the League with 11 wins and is ranked 11th in goals-against average (2.29), save percentage (.925) and minutes played (916:31) after stealing the job in training camp after starter Michael Leighton suffered a back injury. During the Flyers' 10-game unbeaten streak earlier this season, "Bob" had a 1.70 GAA and a .946 save percentage.

Runners-Up

Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes -- A surprising No. 7 pick in the 2010 Entry Draft, Skinner has repaid the faith Carolina showed in his with a Calder-worthy performance through the season's first two months. Skinner leads all NHL rookies with 10 assists and 16 points and is second with 6 goals, despite being the youngest player in the League.

contin

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544383

According to this site, we picked a loser in Skinner.... http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/26/2010-nhl-draft-grades-winners-and-losers/

Carolina Hurricanes: They took quite a risk with Jeff Skinner in the top ten. The forward has a knack for scoring goals, but there were major questions about his commitment level, and his flaws as a two-way player are tough to overlook when you're trying to make a pick this high in the draft.

According to this site, we picked a loser in Skinner.... http://nhl.fanhouse....ers-and-losers/

Carolina Hurricanes: They took quite a risk with Jeff Skinner in the top ten. The forward has a knack for scoring goals, but there were major questions about his commitment level, and his flaws as a two-way player are tough to overlook when you're trying to make a pick this high in the draft.

:rofl:

How about an update for that article? Didn't think so.

:rofl:

How about an update for that article? Didn't think so.

Looks like Bruce Ciskie wrote himself to the bottom of the 'prediction guru' list with that article.

Looks like Bruce Ciskie wrote himself to the bottom of the 'prediction guru' list with that article.

He's right up there with Maggie the Monkey :lol:

Skinner's stock did rise and by the end most mock drafts had him 9-14. But I am still stunned by the Central Scouting final rank that had as many as 50 players ranked higher than him by their final rankings.

Skinner's stock did rise and by the end most mock drafts had him 9-14. But I am still stunned by the Central Scouting final rank that had as many as 50 players ranked higher than him by their final rankings.

I know. Just coming into the draft I was still shocked that he was picked at #7 because he played so well in his final year with the Kitchener Rangers. At least we have 'em!

Yeah, esp after his 20 points in the playoffs- that central scouting didn't move him up either a huge oversight or just lazy, either way good for Canes! for letting us get the value pick. he is hiting his first rookie 'wall" now the last couple of games, and not having his 'pop" skating, going to see how he reacts to this

Yeah, esp after his 20 points in the playoffs- that central scouting didn't move him up either a huge oversight or just lazy, either way good for Canes! for letting us get the value pick. he is hiting his first rookie 'wall" now the last couple of games, and not having his 'pop" skating, going to see how he reacts to this

The Stars game was bad for the whole team but I thought it was Skinner's first game where he really struggled. You knew that once teams had some film on him they'd find a way to keep him in check but moving Erik Cole and replacing him with Chad LaRose was a big mistake imo. Skinner is an amazing player and has already shown he can play with the big boys but he's young, inexperienced and needs some protection for awhile. When he's flanked by Cole and Ruutu, they complement his skills and help create some space for him to do his thing, but having LaRose skate with him only adds a less skilled version of himself to the line.

Moving up Cole may give Staal someone to work with but its takes away from the proven effectiveness of the 2nd line. Skinner will eventually be that guy moved up to Staal's line but for now, he needs protection as he makes his way through his first NHL season.

The Stars game was bad for the whole team but I thought it was Skinner's first game where he really struggled. You knew that once teams had some film on him they'd find a way to keep him in check but moving Erik Cole and replacing him with Chad LaRose was a big mistake imo. Skinner is an amazing player and has already shown he can play with the big boys but he's young, inexperienced and needs some protection for awhile. When he's flanked by Cole and Ruutu, they complement his skills and help create some space for him to do his thing, but having LaRose skate with him only adds a less skilled version of himself to the line.

Moving up Cole may give Staal someone to work with but its takes away from the proven effectiveness of the 2nd line. Skinner will eventually be that guy moved up to Staal's line but for now, he needs protection as he makes his way through his first NHL season.

I saw the same thing. Good points. That line needs to stay together. I would prefer to move Jokinen back up with Staal.

I saw the same thing. Good points. That line needs to stay together. I would prefer to move Jokinen back up with Staal.

I agree, with the limited choices Jussi is the best option they have right now and he seems to be over whatever funk he was in to start the season. We need him to be playing well if this team has any hopes of going on a win streak.

Jeff Skinner will get there but I'd hate to see him put into situations that might slow his development down or worse, risk injury.

From my seat, I think its time to throttle back on Skinners minutes. Seems teams have his number now. He's been knocked off the puck pretty easily over the last few games. Just an observation ....

Good point, mo and his line changes sometimes drive me crazy and putting 2 smurf's on the 2nd line is another- Cole took on the big players when on Skinner's line, but with Chad, they now revert to Skinner and that def hurts, and harder for him to find the space he had.Also changing the Power play line seems to have Skinner not in synch anymore and struggling to find the guys he knew where they would be

I too think Maurice's line juggling does nothing but hurt the team. Skinner obviously plays best with Ruutu and Cole. But who else has been tried out with? I really wish Mo would give up on having three balanced line and stack his top two lines with his 6 best forwards. We have more than enough guys capable of playing defensively sound hockey to not have to worry about the 3rd and 4th lines floundering while allowing your top two lines to accumulate points. Carter, Bodie, Dwyer, LaRose, Tlusty and Samsonov/Cole should be the 3rd and 4th lines. None of those guys is talented enough for top 6 minutes in my opinion. Sutter is you #2 center, and playing him any lower on the depth chart is an insult.

I too think Maurice's line juggling does nothing but hurt the team. Skinner obviously plays best with Ruutu and Cole. But who else has been tried out with? I really wish Mo would give up on having three balanced line and stack his top two lines with his 6 best forwards. We have more than enough guys capable of playing defensively sound hockey to not have to worry about the 3rd and 4th lines floundering while allowing your top two lines to accumulate points. Carter, Bodie, Dwyer, LaRose, Tlusty and Samsonov/Cole should be the 3rd and 4th lines. None of those guys is talented enough for top 6 minutes in my opinion. Sutter is you #2 center, and playing him any lower on the depth chart is an insult.

Just out of curiosity, who would you have for your top 6 out of the current roster? If you stack your top 2 lines, you're essentially telling the other team your 3rd and 4th lines aren't any threat so what would stop them from line matching to gain the advantage anytime those lines came out? Unless you're thinking that the 3rd and 4th line would only be used for limited minutes which would put a whole lot of extra minutes and pressure on the top lines. I don't know how effective they'd be with 25+ minutes of ice time, and where do special teams fit in? Your 3rd and 4th line players also play on the PK but if you've gassed out your top line scorers, how do you set up two PP units? Don't those pesky energy players draw those PP opportunities too?

Look at any successful team and you'll see balanced lines and teams that find scoring when needed from the 3rd and 4th line players as well as the defense. Even the elite players go into scoring droughts now and then so its good to know there are other places the scoring can come from to pick up the slack in one of these droughts. Not to mention it gives the coach the ability to stack one line mid game when he sees the need to take the level if play up a few notches. Washington and Pittsburgh do this all the time with their star players when they need to find that extra gear.

My point is simple: When Chad LaRose, Erik Cole and Sergei Samsonov are on your top two lines, your team is in deep trouble. This team has TWO skaters worthy of being 1st or 2nd line material. Two! The rest are filler.

My point is simple: When Chad LaRose, Erik Cole and Sergei Samsonov are on your top two lines, your team is in deep trouble. This team has TWO skaters worthy of being 1st or 2nd line material. Two! The rest are filler.

That's a valid argument at face value. But, looking at the stats, the Canes remain 10th in the league in average scoring per game. While I agree the talent level is not what many of us would like to see in the top-6, an argument can be made that they are somehow getting it done.

The more appropriate concern, if you look at the stats, is our defense, which remains 27th in the league in goals against per game. So far, White looks to be the -8 White we got from Calgary (particularly in the last few games). But, he's a solid defenseman and I'm hoping he will settle in with his new team and provide a stabilizing force.

Combining our defensive concerns with a dismal PK (28th,although it's good we are the 2nd least penalized team in the NHL), and a inconsistent and average powerplay, I would say those things would warrant more concern. Compounding our special teams issues, are faceoffs, which is not new news for anyone here.

As far as the offense, I'm more concerned that these smaller guys like Skinner, Sammy, and LaRose can't take the beating they will receive with top-6 minutes over the course of 82 games. At some point, we are either facing injuries, or will need to give these guys a rest and bring up some young legs from Charlotte.

And I hope we can somehow find a fourth line Mo is comfortable with that can play 10 minutes a game. We're too soft up front to expect a consistent forecheck when the top lines are rolling the minutes they are now.

But to be fair, and in line with your comments, anytime you put 3rd line guys in the top-6 they are likely going to receive much more negative scrutiny than if they were slotted into more natural positions relative to their skills. Based upon the stats alone, maybe they are over achieving. It also doesn't hurt that we have a Captain, an elite player, that's playing like one.

Just my $.02

Edited by coastal_caniac

They are valid points but with the current roster, what choices are there?

Looks like the coaches saw the same thing we did and Cole is back on the line with Ruutu and Skinner.

Not sure if this was posted yet but I just read this on Chip Alexander's Blog:

Rutherford sizes up Canes, Skinner's play

I myself think that a lot of teams have learned that Skinner is easier to to knock off the puck than a vet is. He seems to be down on the ice a lot more now than he was earlier in the season. This is where you can see his youthfulness around a lot of veterans. I'm sure he will adjust, but it may take a while. He will get stronger as he gets older so I hope it doesn't mess with his head too much. He is a breath of fresh air to see how much fun he is having out on the ice. He must still think every morning when he gets up,,,Wow I can't believe I am playing in the NHL @ 18!!!I know I would be!!!

The more appropriate concern, if you look at the stats, is our defense, which remains 27th in the league in goals against per game. So far, White looks to be the -8 White we got from Calgary (particularly in the last few games). But, he's a solid defenseman and I'm hoping he will settle in with his new team and provide a stabilizing force.

Combining our defensive concerns with a dismal PK (28th,although it's good we are the 2nd least penalized team in the NHL), and a inconsistent and average powerplay, I would say those things would warrant more concern. Compounding our special teams issues, are faceoffs, which is not new news for anyone here.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Of course it's more appropriate, but apparently it's more fun to whine about forwards who are on pace for 40+ points.

Size is a legitimate concern, a great stat during the Dallas game was that the Canes are the 2nd smallest and 2nd lightest team in the league. Without Bodie and Carter we may have been first. It can be an advantage in drawing penalties and speed/scoring. And the fact that the team is younger helps the recovery and lack of injuries. The W-L record has more to do with skill factor than being beaten up.

Skinner seems to be built fairly solid for a kid, I think he'll hold up.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Of course it's more appropriate, but apparently it's more fun to whine about forwards who are on pace for 40+ points.

Size is a legitimate concern, a great stat during the Dallas game was that the Canes are the 2nd smallest and 2nd lightest team in the league. Without Bodie and Carter we may have been first. It can be an advantage in drawing penalties and speed/scoring. And the fact that the team is younger helps the recovery and lack of injuries. The W-L record has more to do with skill factor than being beaten up.

Skinner seems to be built fairly solid for a kid, I think he'll hold up.

Skinner needs to watch some taps of players like St Louis, who despite the smaller size not only very successful, but also injury free And have learned to avoid the big hits

Skinner will be fine. But I wouldn't put any pressure on him to win ROY. He has VERY good competition in that category this year, and is already trailing a few other players who are having breakout seasons. Even if a couple of them are 3-4 years older than Skinny.