The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

Jeff Skinner early ROY? Now nominated!

Y'all need to keep this kind of talk on the down low. Look, ever since the Canes moved to Raleigh, the sports/hockey press will not respect this team in spite a very strong fan base and all that the team has accomplished. It's a fact, let's be at peace with that. In the case of Jeff Skinner, let's use it to our advantage. Is the the ROY? Yes he is. If the press were building him up as they would if he was with about 20 other teams, they would make him into the mega star that he will probably actually become some day. Can an 18 year old kid handle that pressure? Hard to say, Jeff does seem to be able to. but ....... with Mega-Star status comes Mega-Star pay and we are a budget team. Will the Canes be able to afford to keep him around when contract time comes?

Congrats to Jeff. The kid is a blast to watch and will be a real force when he gets some more experience. I think his being on the team has reignited the passion some of the "older" guys had in their younger days. Keep smilin' Jeff. :thumbsup:

How much fun is this! Good for Skinner.He should get some additional media exposure.I'm sure he is smiling from ear to ear.

YEAH!!! really glad to see this!!.. hopefully he can show his stuff on saturday inskills then sunday game that will really help with other media market's knowing him

Does anyone know for sure if Skinner will be allowed to do both events since he is now in the All Star Game? I just wondered if it disqualified him for the skills event or if there was a rule that he can't do both.

Skinner will be ASG only. McBain effectively replaces him in the Skills competition.

I read today that McBain replaced rookie Eberle who is injured for the skills event. I'm confused.

I read today that McBain replaced rookie Eberle who is injured for the skills event. I'm confused.

"With Skinner now an All-Star and Edmonton rookie Jordan Eberle unable to attend, the League also had to find two rookie replacements to participate in the Honda SuperSkills competition Saturday night. Defensemen P.K. Subban of the Montreal Canadiens and Jamie McBain of the hometown Hurricanes accepted the invitations."

McBain may not be directly considered a replacement for Skinner, but he's filling one of the two openings.

I was hearing conversation on ESPN radio the other day about drafting strategies and they were talking about the SuperSkills being a factor. For example, they talked about Chara maybe going earlier than expected, knowing he'd be a good choice in the Hardest Shot challenge. Maybe certain challenges will be for rookies only or maybe they'll just be mixed in with the regulars. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can clarify this.

Pretty nice for young Skinner to have this honor. Following in Yzerman's footsteps isn't too shabby.

"When Skinner takes the ice Sunday, he'll be just 18 years, 259 days old, making him the youngest person ever to play for the All-Stars in an All-Star Game. Hall of Famer Steve Yzerman had been the youngest, at 18 years, 267 days in 1984."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=550698&navid=DL|NHL|home

Pretty nice for young Skinner to have this honor. Following in Yzerman's footsteps isn't too shabby.

"When Skinner takes the ice Sunday, he'll be just 18 years, 259 days old, making him the youngest person ever to play for the All-Stars in an All-Star Game. Hall of Famer Steve Yzerman had been the youngest, at 18 years, 267 days in 1984."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=550698&navid=DL|NHL|home

Agreed. I hear that Yzerman guy had a pretty good career. I would say Mr. Skinner is well on his way. Let's just hope the Canes put the right pieces around him and Staal.

Really annoyed at versus!

i had thought the "southern" bias was finally put to rest afte the cup, but listening to these fools over the week end do their "calder contenders" so far and 3 of the 4 not even mention skinner, just so embarrassing!.. its one thing to like Couture, but to call him "the rookie winner and its not even close", beyond absurd!.. really had hoped skinner had scored and made some dazzling plays yesterday, to open these fools eyes, but wasn't to be. Still couldn't beleive the versus crew so cluless

Skinner mic'ed up for game, some good stuff:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=95311

Logan Couture holds slim Calder lead

It's the first Wednesday of a new month, which means that it's time for me to offer you my latest Calder watch top-5 rankings.

Before I get to the list, I wanted to mention the play of Boston Bruins rookie Brad Marchand, who has become a valuable role player. In 48 games, the speedy pivot has been making a big contribution toward the Bruins' success. Working an average of just 13:13 minutes per game, Marchand has 13 goals, 25 points and a rookie-best plus-21 rating.

If the NHL awards were like the Oscars, Marchand would be a candidate for a trophy as Best Supporting Rookie. Of course, the awards system doesn't work like that. Still, Marchand deserves recognition for the little things he's doing to help the Bruins stay atop the Northeast Division.

Now, here's my list for this month:

1. Logan Couture, C, San Jose Sharks

For the second straight month, I have the San Jose rookie in the top spot. I rate him as having a slight edge over Carolina Hurricanes winger Jeff Skinner, who is closing the gap. Couture leads all freshmen (and all Sharks) with 22 goals. He also leads his peers with 166 shots, six game-winning goals and six power-play goals, as well as ranking fourth with a plus-11 rating. Couture is getting the job done in the face-off circle, too, winning 51.2 percent of his draws. At this point, I see him as the most complete newbie.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?name=hradek_ej&id=6082598&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnhl%2fblog%3fname%3dhradek_ej%26id%3d6082598

Congrats to Jeff!!! for reaching the 20 goal plateau already! :notworthy:

He's now opened a 8 point lead again for points and moved up to 1st in points and assists and 2nd in goals:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm#?navid=nav-ply-rkies

Jeff Skinner

L. Couture | SJS 35

T. Hall | EDM 33

D. Stepan | NYR 31

T. Ennis | BUF 30

Edited by canes-in-7

BTW, looks like the Calder has a new candidate in it- Michael Grabner has 11 points in last 5 games, including a hat trick last night and has past Skinner for 2nd in goals scored, skinner still leads in points with 45, couture 2nd with 36 and Taylot hall 3rd with 34.

Going to come down to the wire, with Skinner, Couture, Grabner and Hall on the "O", cory crawford playing some great hockey for Blackhawks in Goal along with "bob" in philly and carslon fading from the race on "D".

While still hope Skinner can pull it off down the Stretch, really good to see all these newcomers in hockey and with so many of the "stars" retiring or on downside, hockey is really in a good place and finding new stars in many places the last few years, great to see!

Nice when Skinner pot's one of his Calder rival's the philly papers hyping , like did last night! :thumbsup:

Hurricanes’ Jeff Skinner Is Sergei Bobrovsky’s Calder Rival

by Stephen Whyn

RALEIGH, N.C. – You’ve probably read this before, but the Flyers have never had a Calder Trophy winner as NHL Rookie of the Year. That’s where Sergei Bobrovsky comes in.

The rookie goaltender is 21-6-3 with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage, and is a front-runner for the Calder. That’s because he’s bounced back from adversity to recapture the dominant form he showed early in the season.

“I don’t really know what happened for me to start playing better again,” Bobrovsky said through an interpreter earlier in the week. “I came out and played every game the same way.”

But Bobrovsky isn’t running away in the Calder race. And if the Flyers goalie doesn’t get it, it will likely be because one of three players here in Raleigh for NHL All-Star weekend: Jeff Skinner of the Hurricanes, Logan Couture of the Sharks or Cam Fowler of the Ducks.

contin in link

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/2011/01/30/hurricanes-jeff-skinner-is-sergei-bobrovskys-calder-rival/

Nice when Skinner pot's one of his Calder rival's the philly papers hyping , like did last night! :thumbsup:

Hurricanes’ Jeff Skinner Is Sergei Bobrovsky’s Calder Rival

by Stephen Whyn

RALEIGH, N.C. – You’ve probably read this before, but the Flyers have never had a Calder Trophy winner as NHL Rookie of the Year. That’s where Sergei Bobrovsky comes in.

The rookie goaltender is 21-6-3 with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage, and is a front-runner for the Calder. That’s because he’s bounced back from adversity to recapture the dominant form he showed early in the season.

“I don’t really know what happened for me to start playing better again,” Bobrovsky said through an interpreter earlier in the week. “I came out and played every game the same way.”

But Bobrovsky isn’t running away in the Calder race. And if the Flyers goalie doesn’t get it, it will likely be because one of three players here in Raleigh for NHL All-Star weekend: Jeff Skinner of the Hurricanes, Logan Couture of the Sharks or Cam Fowler of the Ducks.

contin in link

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/2011/01/30/hurricanes-jeff-skinner-is-sergei-bobrovskys-calder-rival/

Bobrovsky's play certainly did slip in the middle part of the season and Boucher took over quite comfortably from Bob.

Bobrovsky's play certainly did slip in the middle part of the season and Boucher took over quite comfortably from Bob.

yeah i'd say you Could even argue cory crawford with chicago the best rookie Goaltender now. Looks like the Calder is going to come down to the wire... and big arguments for a few, skinner still leds in points (46),grabner in goals( 25),skinner assists(24) and crawford save % and GAA( .920 and 2.17 GAA)

Skinner needs another big push to put it out of reach, couture, grabner close and even taylor hall startig to close the gap on all of them, stay tuned!

With only 2 points in his last 6 games, do Posters feel Jeff is hitting the Proverbial 'rookie wall", or just the change in lines affecting him?

His lead in the rookie points race down to 3 now to Couture( from 10 , 2 weeks ago)with couture now having the goal lead over grabner and skinner.. this race will def come down to the Wire- hope jeff finds his scoring tocuh again soon

beginning of month calder predictions:

Vote: Who Is Favorite for This Year's Calder Trophy as NHL's Best Rookie?

by Mike Cole on Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:58PM

The best of the lot, at least this year, may be Carolina's Jeff Skinner. While he doesn't turn 19 until May, Skinner has been incredibly impressive with the Hurricanes. He was named to this year's All-Star Game, and his numbers certainly back that up. He's accumulated more points and assists than any other rookie, and he finds himself trailing only one player in goals.

That player happens to be San Jose's Logan Couture, another impressive rookie making a name for himself. Couture, who scored for the Sharks in a Feb. 5 win over the Bruins, leads NHL rookies in tallies with 25 of them. He's also an impressive plus-17 on the year.

Those aren't the only rookies contributing night in and night out. Michael Grabner is red-hot down on Long Island for the Islanders, with 25 points in his last 22 games. If the Blackhawks are able to get back into the Western Conference playoffs to defend their Stanley Cup title, a lot of the reason will be because of goalie Corey Crawford. He leads rookie goalies in practically every category. He's second among all goalies in goals against, behind only Vezina favorite Tim Thomas.

contin

http://www.nesn.com/2011/02/vote-who-is-favorite-for-this-years-calder-trophy-as-nhls-best-rookie.html

===============

Logan Couture tops rookie rankings

by EJ Hradek

The NHL freshmen in the class of 2010-11 are deep into their second semesters, having battled their way through 60 or so games. In the final quarter of the regular season, when teams are fighting tooth-and-nail for every inch of open ice they can find, these rooks will be challenged to keep up with their more experienced peers.

With roughly six weeks left on the regular season schedule, here's the March edition of the Calder watch top five:

1. Logan Couture, C/LW, San Jose Sharks

San Jose's rookie standout remains on the top of my list for the third straight month. I've been impressed with his overall game, working as an important part of the red-hot Sharks.

At this point, Couture's most impressive number is his eight game-winning goals. That leads all rookies and ranks him second in the league behind only Washington Capitals' mega-star Alex Ovechkin (nine).

Couture, who'll turn 22 later in the month, has been pretty consistent throughout his first full NHL campaign, averaging nearly 18 minutes per game.

Through 61 games, the ninth overall selection in the 2007 draft stands second in his class with 44 points (behind the next guy on this list), and he's tied for the rookie goal lead with New York Islanders winger Michael Grabner with 25.

Couture leads his class with 201 shots. He has an impressive plus-17 rating and he's winning 51.5 percent of his faceoffs. To date, Couture has produced a pretty complete season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?name=hradek_ej&id=6173626&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnhl%2fblog%3fname%3dhradek_ej%26id%3d6173626

Isles' Grabner named February 'Rookie of the Month'

NEW YORK -- New York Islanders right wing Michael Grabner, who led all rookies in scoring with 16 points (10 goals, six assists) in 14 games, has been named the NHL Rookie of the Month for February.

Grabner edged Columbus Blue Jackets left wing Matt Calvert (8-3--11 in 12 games), Edmonton Oilers right wing Jordan Eberle (5-6--11 in 13 games), San Jose Sharks center Logan Couture (3-8--11 in 11 games), Chicago Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford (7-2-1, 1.96 GAA in 10 games) and Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer (6-1-3, 2.51 GAA in 10 games) for the award.

The 23-year-old Villach, Austria native joins goaltender Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), the Sharks' Couture (December) and forward Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) as Rookie of the Month winners this season.

contin

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=554815&navid=DL|NHL|home

Unless Skinner picks his scoring back up, I think he's slipping out of the top three.

agreed, though Hall may be out a while..but never want to see something becase of another's injury:

Taylor Hall leaves with ankle injury

Thursday, 03.03.2011 / 11:55 PM / News NHL.com

Taylor Hall, the top pick in last June's Entry Draft, had his first Gordie Howe hat trick on Thursday night -- but had to leave the Edmonton Oilers' game against Columbus in the second period with a left ankle injury.

Hall landed awkwardly after getting into the first fight of his NHL career, a scrap against Derek Dorsett with 6:27 left in the second period. Before that, he had his 22nd goal of the season and an assist. Edmonton won the game 4-2.

"There's nothing in your contract that says you can't fight, you can't defend yourself," said Hall, who dropped his gloves first and initiated the fight.

"That's all I was trying to do. It started with trying to hit that guy in the open ice. From there, he kind of gave me a few jabs in the face. It's bad luck I had to leave the game because of the fight, but I'd probably do it again if I had to."

The Oilers didn't comment on the severity of Hall's injury and didn't offer a diagnosis. He'll be re-examined. Hall was wearing a plastic walking cast after the game.

contin in link

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=554990