The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

Jeff Skinner early ROY? Now nominated!

I've argued for years its a Dumb rule, and shoudl be no more than 10-15 games AT MOST in the year before for a rookie, but because its never impacted a Cane before, most never cared. Same for the Vezina and most times the voters putting way too much emphasis in GAA, w/o taken into consideration the shots faced or teams"D".. where a goalie if ony facing 15-20 shots a night and no rebounds because a great "D"( detriot), can make a Goalie's stats much better than a goalie like luongo on panthers for mnay years and cam this year, that get peppered with 40+ shots a night

I hear ya, but I don't see a big difference between 10 or 15 additional games. Good point on the Vezina, thought it was interesting to see the graphic last night they had up about this, only 2 of the top 6 or 7 seasons in saves got the goalie a nod for the Vezina and none won. Ward has had an amazing season, a true workhorse without a lot of help in front. Price's numbers are almost the same and he is getting mentioned, of course Cam plays in the backwoods of hockey world... :rolleyes:

Carey can get mentioned all he wants (mostly by Canadian media) but he's nowhere near winning the Vezina with Lundqvist and Thomas having seasons like they are.

I hear ya, but I don't see a big difference between 10 or 15 additional games. Good point on the Vezina, thought it was interesting to see the graphic last night they had up about this, only 2 of the top 6 or 7 seasons in saves got the goalie a nod for the Vezina and none won. Ward has had an amazing season, a true workhorse without a lot of help in front. Price's numbers are almost the same and he is getting mentioned, of course Cam plays in the backwoods of hockey world... :rolleyes:

yep playing in the south, unless really head's and shoulder's above, "if" a canadian team player in it, not much chance the "bias" isn't coming out( ala price vs ward this year)..

And on the calder, most years its alot more than just 10-15 games from a '2nd year rookie" to a real rookie, because like couture last year who also played in 15 playoff games or 40 total games for the year( playoff's do not count towards total,but sure count towards experience and helping a player be better), it really is a huge advantage, and in couture's case basically 1/2 a season of hockey and another camp to be ready.

Hard to control or change the playoff games from total for rookies( becuase can be zero or up to 28 games, and something no one knows or can control)-So the "giveback" for that IMO should be less games in the season to still qualify for "rookie status" of 10-15 games, which is really- let's be honest, teams out of the playoff race, bringing up rook's at the end of the yer to see what they have,and not caring about w's as long term development and not having them "penalized" the next year as not being rookies.

Posted this in the media thread but it deserves a re-post here too

Jeff Skinner gets some airtime on CNN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX-LE0KWSwM

He'll be on NHL Live today at 1:05pm

(good for his PR for the Calder)

More Skinnermania:

Jeff Skinner doesn't turn 19 until May 16. He'll be in his 4th NHL season before he can buy a beer in the States.

Zero of 18-year-old Jeff Skinner's 29 goals this season are empty-net.

Per Elias, Sylvain Turgeon (40 in 1983) is the only rookie in franchise history to post a 30-goal season, Jeff Skinner could will be next.

Canes Vision needs to do a highlight reel of Skinner to a Lynard Skynard song!!! Sprinkle in some Forslund goal calls!!!

Which Skynard song would work best?

Simple Man

On the Hunt

Freebird

You got that Right

Gifted Hands

Storm

---------------------------------------------

And yes I realize it points out the Southern Hockey angle, but I still think it would be cool.

Skinner is tied for #19 in the league in goals. Tied with Ovechkin and St. Louis. More goals than Kovalchuk, Vanek, Tavares, Kopitar, Zetterberg, Hossa, etc.

He is #44 in points, almost 20 players between him and the next rookie, Couture, who, given all his NHL time should not win if it is close, Grabner is #87 in points.

Barring some kind of monster run for Couture, it has to be Skinner.

I'd be more comfortable if Skinner keeps pace with Couture and Grabner in goals, and finishes with the points lead. Whether we make it or not, watching Skinner this year has been worth the price of admission.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Michael Grabner is out for 2 games now due to the impending of a baby with his girlfriend. Still 31 goals for him.

That is very interesting reading those posts! I have to say for the most part the bulk of the posters were right on. But towards the end the naysayers came on. It is interesting to read:

Quote:Jeff Skinner is quickly becoming one of the most overrated prospects on hf. There is a reason he is ranked where he is. That's because people watch him play, and don't scout him based on his stats.

--i agree. personally skinner reminds me a lot of kyle wellwood. tremendous numbers and goal scoring in the OHL, but it just doesn't translate to the NHL. i really see him as a wellwood type player (15-20 G, 20 A).

and

I think if everything goes right for a guy like Skinner he could be a 30-20 2nd line center type, at best. His skillset will definitly give him issues translating to the NHL, where defencemen work their gap control better, give players less time and space.

Um, no, you are wrong.

But really the predominant opinions were right on, that he would be a great pick. Most prescient was the original poster:

Jeff Skinner Biggest Steal!!!Personally I believe Jeff Skinner will be a steal in this years draft, I know he is going first round and those usually are not steals but this kid can flat out score and I think any team who snags him will be getting a future star in the NHL. He is the best pure goal scorer and I hope he lands on a decent team!!

Oh, and I would say he landed on a decent team. Though part of that is due to his very presence on that team.

Edited by Whaler1

A big weekend for canes AND skinner could seal both the playoff's and his calder, really do think, while shouldn't amke a diference, the canes making the playoff's will be the icing on the cake for his calder bid

One of the last quotes on the HF Board...

Maybe Skinner needs to go to a team that will not rush him into the NHL. As a Red Wings fan I would love to see him drafted by Detroit. He can spend another year in Kitchener and then spend 2-3 years in the AHL before being expected to reach the NHL. Maybe this will give him the necessary time to work out his kinks in his game.

:rofl:

Sounds like someone called it as it is, the good of all these and that could possibly be alot of Grabner votes down the drain which I don't think Grabner woulda been close in the voting anyway. Now if SJ could make it's hockey writers mad we're in business.

Isles need a new owner badly or one of the next franchises to move could be that storied franchise which would be a huge loss of history for the NHL.

Sounds like someone called it as it is, the good of all these and that could possibly be alot of Grabner votes down the drain which I don't think Grabner woulda been close in the voting anyway. Now if SJ could make it's hockey writers mad we're in business.

Isles need a new owner badly or one of the next franchises to move could be that storied franchise which would be a huge loss of history for the NHL.

There does seem to be a huge mess on the Island but you're right, the history there would be a huge loss.

Lets hope young Skinner outplays new Dad Grabner tonight.

The owner of the islander's gets a worse rap than he deserves, yes some of the stuff is on him.. BUT will say, here is an owner willing to build a new stadium with his own cash, rebuild a horrible area in uniondale with a hotel/mall to revise it, and the county keeps voting him down- he has tried over and over to work with them, and you can't blame him at this point for being fustrated. On the blogger stuff, its a huge gray area, in that the guy used to work for the islander's and as such may have inside info they didn't want out, and/or access inside the islander's they didn't feel comfortable with him anymore- and they though he crossed the line.. it is their right to do this, esp to an ex-employee. More to see than a simple "they revoked his media credentials"

Neither Skinner, Couture or Grabner added any points last night. 4 game to go....

Skinner with #30 goal last night and needs just one point for 60+ points, which likely will be the ONLY ROOKIE to hit 60 points( couture would need 6 points in 2 games not likely), and for those number concious, having that 60+ over the 50's will have an impact on the voters...

LET GO SKINNER!

I think the Calder will boil down to Grabner, Skinner, Couture and Crawford.

Grabner: (G)33 (A)17 (PTS)50 (+/-)14

Skinner: (G)30 (A)29 (PTS)59 (+/-)4

Couture: (G)31 (A)23 (PTS)54 (+/-)19

Crawford: (GP)55 (W)32 (L)17 (OTL)6 (GAA)2.27 (SV%).918 (SO)4