The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canes-in-7

Jeff Skinner early ROY? Now nominated!

I think the Calder will boil down to Grabner, Skinner, Couture and Crawford.

Grabner: (G)33 (A)17 (PTS)50 (+/-)14

Skinner: (G)30 (A)29 (PTS)59 (+/-)4

Couture: (G)31 (A)23 (PTS)54 (+/-)19

Crawford: (GP)55 (W)32 (L)17 (OTL)6 (GAA)2.27 (SV%).918 (SO)4

only 3 on the ballot to vote for.. be intersting to see if crawford or grabner is left off

only 3 on the ballot to vote for.. be intersting to see if crawford or grabner is left off

Those would be my final 4. I think Grabner will be the odd rookie out unfortunately. Really there is a TOP 5 if you want to include what Bobrovsky has done in Philly. IF you look at the rookie class this year, its been an amazing season. Here is the TOP 20 Skating Rookies:

1 Jeff Skinner, C CAR 80 30 29 59

2 Logan Couture, C SJ 77 31 23 54

3 Michael Grabner, RW NYI 74 33 17 50

4 Tyler Ennis, LW BUF 80 19 29 48

5 Derek Stepan, C NYR 81 21 23 44

6 Taylor Hall, LW EDM 65 22 20 42

Jordan Eberle, C EDM 67 18 24 42

Kevin Shattenkirk, D COL/STL 71 9 33 42

9 Brad Marchand, LW BOS 75 21 20 41

10 Cam Fowler, D ANA 74 10 30 40

11 P.K. Subban, D MTL 76 14 24 38

12 Bryan Bickell, LW CHI 76 17 20 37

John Carlson, D WSH 81 7 30 37

14 Magnus Paajarvi, LW EDM 78 15 18 33

15 Jamie McBain, D CAR 74 7 21 28

16 Marcus Johansson, C WSH 68 13 14 27

17 Mark Letestu, C PIT 62 12 13 25

Linus Omark, LW EDM 49 5 20 25

19 Mikael Backlund, C CGY 72 9 15 24

20 Travis Hamonic, D NYI 60 3 20 23

As far as goalies, Crawford is ranked in the TOP 10 in the league at #6. Bobrovsky is #16.

Among forwards/defensemen, Skinner is ranked # 46. IMO, IF Skinner does not get the Calder, I think it will go to Crawford.

Edited by hopper915

After the numbers Skinner has put up in the last few games, I think Skinner is a lock for the Colder. Grabner only has 2 more goals, and nowhere near as many total points...and Couture has the same number of goals and fewer assists. No one is even close to Skinner in total points. And no one else is carrying their team at the moment like the 18 year old is. With Staal limping along injured, Skinner is leading this team in more ways than one.

trophy_calderlg.jpg

E.J. Hradek commented yesterday on NHL Network that he has already voted for Couture, because he's been a more complete player than the rest of the rookies. :thumbdown:

E.J. Hradek commented yesterday on NHL Network that he has already voted for Couture, because he's been a more complete player than the rest of the rookies. :thumbdown:

What a moop. They should take his vote away. If it is even close, Skinner should get it for being the "real" rookie. Sure Couture is +19 and a heck of a player, but Skinner is near the top of his team at +6. I think if we make the playoffs Skinner gets it.

being 5 years older and playing 42 games last year probably has alot to do with that- just think because ts so close between them - the deciding factor should be the skinner a real rookie ad not 1/ a year last year and no minor league time

Grabner has 140 AHL and 20 NHL games experience and he's 23. Not taking anything away from his accomplishments, but he should not even be a finalist. It should be Skinner, Couture and Crawford.

Speaking about 'unfair', Sergei Makarov was 31 when he won the Calder and he already had a bunch of years playing for the Red Army and ZSKA Moskow under his belt, not to mention seven World championships, one Canada Cup title and two gold and one silver Olympic medal.

well after the Crushing defeat of last night, at least skinner( and ward) the bright spots in an otherwise dismal day, but while really do think he desrves the Calder and did all he could, just have a bad feeling like te canes themsleves, we may end up dissapointed.

Here's hoping we get at least this to cheer after the playoff's!

well after the Crushing defeat of last night, at least skinner( and ward) the bright spots in an otherwise dismal day, but while really do think he desrves the Calder and did all he could, just have a bad feeling like te canes themsleves, we may end up dissapointed.

Here's hoping we get at least this to cheer after the playoff's!

I hope the voting for the Calder is immediately after the regular season. If later, then Couture will get continuing coverage/exposure in the playoffs while Skinner sits, out of sight.

Bob McKenzie at TSN said he thinks Skinner will win it...but he voted for Derek Stepan, in part because his kid played with Skinner this summer. At least he didn't vote for one of the other top runners.

I'll be surprised if Skinner doesn't win.

Bob McKenzie at TSN said he thinks Skinner will win it...but he voted for Derek Stepan, in part because his kid played with Skinner this summer. At least he didn't vote for one of the other top runners.

I'll be surprised if Skinner doesn't win.

its top 5 now and a declining point system, so mckenzie had to do more than just vote for #1, how he votes on the rest of them will impact it:

The voting is conducted at the end of the regular season by members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, and each individual voter ranks their top five candidates on a 10-7-5-3-1 points system. Three finalists are named and the trophy is awarded at the NHL Awards ceremony after the playoffs.

Yeah, I know. I wondered how he ranked the rest of them, too. Just passing it on from the train wreck that is McKenzie's twitter feed. :)

My feeling that Skinner will win is unrelated to that. 30/30 at 18 speaks for itself.

I totally agree that Skinner is no doubt the one who should get it. The reasons have been pointed out enough. He has done more with less and was our offense for most of the season, coming second to an NHL recongnized elite player in Eric Staal. Without Skinner and his achievements we wouldn't have been in the playoff picture for most of the season.

However, I am not confident at all that he'll get it because he plays for the Canes. The media is so biased against us and our division (with exception to the Washington Ovechkins) that they'd try to keep the award out of his hands. I'll be surprised to see the one who deserves it actually get it, do to politics and bias of the Carolina shouldn't have a team types.

Yeah, I know. I wondered how he ranked the rest of them, too. Just passing it on from the train wreck that is McKenzie's twitter feed. :)

My feeling that Skinner will win is unrelated to that. 30/30 at 18 speaks for itself.

gotcha!.. really hope skinner does pull it off, despite the southern bias working against him- and just IMO, if the all-star game wasnt here and all th hype skinner got then,which opened more eyes, i'd not think he could win it, but with that plus his good end to season, he "should" win it

ESPN:

Calder Trophy

Burnside: Although Logan Couture may end the season behind Carolina's Jeff Skinner in points and may get edged by the Isles' terrific first-year sniper Michael Grabner in goals, our vote goes to the young San Jose center. When the Sharks were floundering earlier this season, it was Couture who provided clutch performances in spite of his youthfulness. Whatever coach Todd McLellan has asked, Couture has delivered.

Winner: Couture.

LeBrun: A sizable and impressive group of 2010-11 rookies, which included Couture, Skinner, Corey Crawford, P.K. Subban, John Carlson, Cam Fowler, Grabner, Tyler Ennis, Sergei Bobrovsky, Michal Neuvirth and James Reimer. I think Subban's 14 goals deserve more attention, but this will end up being a 1-2 battle between Skinner and Couture when the Professional Hockey Writers' Association votes come in. It's totally a toss-up and both kids deserve the award, but I'll go with the player who added defensive responsibilities to his game on top of the offense he provided.

Winner: Couture.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/6515/burnside-and-lebrun-our-2010-11-award-winners

Edited by canes-in-7

ESPN would probably fire those guys if they voted for someone from the team they regularly refer to as the Carolina Panthers.

BTW...McKenzie says today he actually did vote for Skinner. Who knows? :rolleyes:

Edited by JLP

I'm all for full disclosure but not before the voting is all complete. You can't tell me that other writers won't be influenced by how others are voting (or claiming to be voting).

To me, this is the negative side to social media. How fast and far tweets can travel can effect certain things.

Skinner's rookie season left a mark on many

BY CHIP ALEXANDER - Staff writer

Tags: sports | hockey | NHL | Canes | Carolina Hurricanes | Jeff Skinner

RALEIGH -- Jeff Skinner seemingly became as well-known for his dimpled smile as his goal-scoring prowess during a memorable rookie season with the Carolina Hurricanes.

He's young, and he's good, and it was apparent the 18-year-old forward was having a blast. It was all new and exciting, and he had a lot to smile about.

But it took the right words to coax a few out of him Monday. It's just that the sting of losing to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday, of missing out on the Stanley Cup playoffs, was still wearing on him.

It's tough. It's disappointing," Skinner said. "You can think of a lot of words to describe it. I mean, when you come so close and you work so hard and it comes down to the final game ..."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/04/12/1123745/skinners-season-left-mark-on-many.html#ixzz1JJVmcBLb

Can I just say what a joke it is for Couture and Grabner to even be MENTIONED? Didn't the both of them play in the regular season and playoffs last season?????? Why yes, THEY DID. So, THEY ARE NOT ROOKIES. Couture is 22, Grabner is 23. YOUNG GIFTED PLAYERS, yes, NOT ROOKIES.

Skinner is EIGHTEEN (18!!!!), and literally stepped off of the draft floor into the NHL and LED ALL TRUE ROOKIES IN POINTS! Even Couture and Grabner, who AREN'T true rookies with their experience, couldn't match Jeff Skinner.

So, JEFF SKINNER IS THE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR. PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD.

Thank You.