The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
hockeybaby

Joni Pitkanen

Here's my take on your assesments-

1- I disagree. He's tall and has a long slow stride, just like Staal. He also plays too many minutes most nights, just like Staal. But I see why people might say this, although I think it's unwarranted.

2- Not sure what you mean....but he does leave the point in the O-zone, circling behind the net even, but when a d-man pinches, it's a forwards responsibility to cover. They all know this. In the D-zone, I don't see him out of position often enough to make the same general statement. I think he is guilty of trying to be too many places at the same time though. But my saying he's trying to do too much goes completely against your #1 and #2 statements.

3- Agree. He's capable of playing physical. He's done it in the past, and occasionally will do it now. But it's not his overall style of play, no. Getting caught up in trying to make a hit often means getting beat by a crafty or speedy forward. That isn't good either. Not every d-man has to be physical. But when you're over 6' tall, fans always expect it. I was always disapointed that 6-6" 235 pound Marek Mailk would't hit ANYONE! It just wasn't his game. But he wasn't nearly as gifted as Joni in other areas either though. What I never like to see from any player on my team, is stick checks when the body would be 10x more effective. Getting blown by, by a forward after you lean in and stick out your stick, is inexcusable in my opinion.

4- I disagree. I think Joni keeps the zone quite well. I think we can blame some really bad, hurried passing on this one. No one on this team really connects tape to tape often enough. The book on beating the Canes powerplay has been to pressure the puck carrier for two+ seasons now. It happens quite often. An aggressive penalty kill will cause powerplay turnovers by the Canes night after night.

5- I can give you this one. But I won't single out Pitkanen only. Staal and LaRose have been guilty of the same thing numerous times. I'll cut Skinner some slack, he's 18. And I categorize "stupid" penalties as the ones that were lazy or in anger/retaliation. Not the ones that prevented a breakaway, sometimes you have to take those.

6- I prefer dumping to an empty corner and hoping one of the forwards hustles after it to putting it on the blade of an opponent in the neutral zone. I'll take this all day.

7- Statement rings true for the entire team. Forslund sounds like a broken record each night, "blocked on the way through", "pass detected", etc. Not the fault of one guy. Team/system problem.

8- I think his defense is pretty good. I think it might would improve if his minutes were cut back a few per game, and he wasn't expected to pinch as often. I also think his lack of confidence in his partners, is very obvious. There's been no consistency on this blueline since he's been here. It's been a revolving door. I'd like to see him and Gleason paired up again, for more than a game or two. But what does that leave your for your other pairings...because Corvo and Gleason work well together. It's obvious the Canes need a top 4 stay-at-homer. That wasn't White.

x2

Which question is that?(maybe the one about being in JR's Office or what?) And the more stuff that gets going, the MORE FUN I have!

Well hell, you should have said that it's all about you having fun and not serious discussions. I would have ignored you much earlier.

I think that it is worth it to look at McCabe or Phillips. Maybe keep Joni, but you would have to give something there. Joni paired with either of the above, and Gleason and Corvo is a pretty sharp top 4. McBain can play with Harrison, or Carson, young pairing but serviceable. Or mix them up a bit with the younger guys. Going into the playoffs with these 7 D would make me feel pretty good(McCabe or Phillips, not getting both).

McCabe, while not perfect, is a good d-man. He would be easier to get than Phillips.

x2

Well hell, you should have said that it's all about you having fun and not serious discussions. I would have ignored you much earlier.

Guess what its not to late to ignore me!!! You can be sure I won't lose any sleep over it!!

I don't love the guy, never claimed to.

Bah!

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight.....

Forget it...

Much better performance by Pitts. He even laid down a solid hit and skated to the puck like he meant it most the night. I'm still hoping he's out the door on Monday but I have to give credit when it's due.

Much better performance by Pitts. He even laid down a solid hit and skated to the puck like he meant it most the night. I'm still hoping he's out the door on Monday but I have to give credit when it's due.

Agree that he played better, but what's up with the lift the leg and let the shot get through move on the Pens goal? Oh, DJ forgot to mention the lack of shot blocking on his list ;)

Pitkanen was solid last night. Even paired with Mcbain which scares the bejeezus out of me.

I would agree with that. We finally saw some physicality from his last night. That was great to see.

Edited by jeromeo87

Joni isn't on this team to be hard, he's here to move the puck, and set up the O. I'll agree that I'd like to see a little more Physicality out of Joni, but the man is one of the best skaters in the league. If you don't believe that one, see how many teams are interested in him if we can't sign him. To pull his minutes, at the speed he can maintain is admirable. He plays his role.

I don't like the way he plays, but I feel bad for him that Canes fans booed at him when they announced the starting lineup last night against Panthers.

Alright, which one of you Pitkanen haters was sitting behind me last night? Sec. 124?

I knew the guy was a hater, early in the 1st period Joni actually made a good play, and this guy lays into him verbally about making a stupid play. I'm not sure exactly what he thought the best play was, but obviously Pitkanen couldn't make it. :screwy: I've got no problem criticizing a player when they deserve it. I've done it to all of them. But to make stuff up...well, it's sad.

Alright, which one of you Pitkanen haters was sitting behind me last night? Sec. 124?

I knew the guy was a hater, early in the 1st period Joni actually made a good play, and this guy lays into him verbally about making a stupid play. I'm not sure exactly what he thought the best play was, but obviously Pitkanen couldn't make it. :screwy: I've got no problem criticizing a player when they deserve it. I've done it to all of them. But to make stuff up...well, it's sad.

Well look at the bright side,,as you said it "Joni made a good play", & that was for the entire game! Kudos to Joni for that good play!!! :yahoo:

Well look at the bright side,,as you said it "Joni made a good play", & that was for the entire game! Kudos to Joni for that good play!!! :yahoo:

this is not funny

Joni made several good plays, and does every game. He is our best defenseman people need to stop harping on him so much, its getting ridiculous. Granted he makes mistakes sometimes, but he makes up for other guys mistakes way more often.

Joni is not going anywhere. Deadline has come and gone. The coaches like his play and even if I don't think he is playing up to the amount he is getting paid this year, he is part of this team that is trying to make a playoff run. Can we put this forum to bed soon?

i will say that joni can be a bit frustrating but that is because we aren't used to his type of D. everyone on this team has made mistakes. big ones that have been overlooked because it isn't joni.

if he is so bad, why was the rest of the nhl beating down the door trying to get him? they don't just say "we like him" and try and get him. they send professional scouts to come and evaluate him. here is the real measure. we have either the top or second most shots on goal against, and one of the worst defenses period. swiss cheese comes to mind describing our defense. they see him in that and still want him. make of that what you will.

lavi is the type of coach(would love to have him back) that joni needs. mo is a defense first guy. not jonis game. at all. you can see joni get frustrated on the ice because he is being forced into a system that is not fit for him. you can see that he tries, and believe you me, he is a cerebral player. one of the best.

now lets get to the skating. the man can skate. he glides when others have to churn and burn. i have the same glide. i also ran cross country before the military, and when i got there i could do a mile and a half in 9.32. that was me running backwards and smoking camel wides bull******* with other people from my boat. its all because i have a rythym when i run. i keep a tempo with my stride. i have ran a marathon. i did finish. not the top, but i did cross the line. what i see in joni is that he has that same type of tempo skater, especially north/south. when he turns on the juice he can fly. how many times have you seen him or someone else get caught and joni get back in time to deny the pass/disrupt it enough to degrade the chance.

the main thing is to look at the man as a skater with his own skill set. not what he is being shoehorned into by a sadistic coach.

im done. :popcorn:

There was a play last night where McBain pinched, and the puck popped out of the zone and there was a Panther in hot pursuit, looking for a breakaway. Joni easily outskated the guy, got the puck, and threw it back up the boards into the neutral zone where it was recovered by a Cane. The puck was never touched by a Panther...but it easily could have been a breakaway with a slower defenseman.

Joni skated the puck into the o-zone several times last night when not one Canes forward could get open or skate it in themselves. He'd circle the net, set up a centering pass, then cruise back out to the point. Not many guys can do that with such ease. And not many would try while the rest of their team was struggling to even get the puck into the zone. The Canes would have had ZERO offense in the 3rd last night if not for Pitkanen. All but one time, the center, or another forward covered the point properly when Joni pinched.

There was a play last night where McBain pinched, and the puck popped out of the zone and there was a Panther in hot pursuit, looking for a breakaway. Joni easily outskated the guy, got the puck, and threw it back up the boards into the neutral zone where it was recovered by a Cane. The puck was never touched by a Panther...but it easily could have been a breakaway with a slower defenseman.

Joni skated the puck into the o-zone several times last night when not one Canes forward could get open or skate it in themselves. He'd circle the net, set up a centering pass, then cruise back out to the point. Not many guys can do that with such ease. And not many would try while the rest of their team was struggling to even get the puck into the zone. The Canes would have had ZERO offense in the 3rd last night if not for Pitkanen. All but one time, the center, or another forward covered the point properly when Joni pinched.

At least someone watched the game last night. I saw the same out of Joni. None of the wingers...Staal included could cleanly penetrate the kitties blue line hold. Joni skated right in, with ease. If he is so bad, how come the other 9 guys couldn't pull off the same feat? Joni is so good, sometimes you fans expect him to look like he is trying harder, when skating his game is all he needs to do. Why you think they leave the puck behind the goal for Joni. If Joni is on the ice, he will be anchoring the rush...every single time. Why is that? Because he is no good? Soft? This is hockey, ice hockey, and skating is the MOST important aspect of the sport. Joni can skate.