The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
hockeybaby

Joni Pitkanen

I actually think Joni looked pretty good last night. His skating was definitely on last night. I wish he wasn't as soft as he is, but if he continues to play like he did last year or the year before I will happy.

So do we all agree? No more "booing" Joni or any other player in a CANES sweater :thumbsup: As for Joni's Defensive play...Well when Joni is on his game there is none better and when he is not :hairpull: .But that could apply to the entire team some nights...Here at the RBC center the only thing we do that may sound like booing at a player should only be our "RUUUUUUUING" :)

It may be up to the Caniacs to will this team into the playoffs.GO CANES

Edited by Pkling40

I actually think Joni looked pretty good last night. His skating was definitely on last night. I wish he wasn't as soft as he is, but if he continues to play like he did last year or the year before I will happy.

Funny enough, I've heard several people today, complain how bad Pitkanen was last night. I sat there and watched the entire game...and felt like that was as strong a game as you can expect from ANY defenseman. He didn't make any costly mistakes. Gleason and Corvo were on the ice for the one Florida goal. Corvo was really sloppy last night. Yet I've not heard one complaint about him today...it's been all on Pitkanen. Joni was the ONLY cane capable of moving the puck through the neutral zone last night. The ONLY one. Maybe if he had more cute commercials and was shown playing street hockey with kids more often, people would like him? I still say it's the Charlie Brown lack of any hair on his head that makes people hate him. Best player on hte ice last night after Ward and Stillman, and people complained about him....unreal.

i aint got no hair on my head, is that why i scare trolls into fits? :twilight-zone: my wife still kisses me so i guess she aint a troll....... :thumbsup: i think, once again, that it is the system we play more than anything that is detracting from pitts. he seems out of place and off beat for that reason. when we fly up the ice and are skating well, he is in his element. you can see the difference in his posture even.

i remember him hitting tha juice up the seam time and again. no one could do anything with it, and more often than not we would score. still amazes me that worked as long as it did. but the underlying thing was that it was fast hockey. yeah joni can lug it up the ice and enter the zone by himself, but he does that out of necessity, not because he wont share the puck. he has to stop that slap pass across the slot. they read the playbook joni, so try something different. please. i would poop my pants if when he goes behind the net he tried a reach around...(im a bit wonky on my pills and that doesnt sound right at all so mods please if it isn't that correct it for me please). i think it would shock the goalie so bad that he would just let the puck in.

ok, yup, my brain is fried. im going out to the man cave and make my wife another "present" its the wildest thing. i get to make something that benefits me, and she likes it because i made it with my hands. strange as all get out. im thinking microwave stand for her birthday :D anyways, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war. see what i just did, i even got a little shakespeare in there. peace out peeps

Funny enough, I've heard several people today, complain how bad Pitkanen was last night. I sat there and watched the entire game...and felt like that was as strong a game as you can expect from ANY defenseman. He didn't make any costly mistakes. Gleason and Corvo were on the ice for the one Florida goal. Corvo was really sloppy last night. Yet I've not heard one complaint about him today...it's been all on Pitkanen. Joni was the ONLY cane capable of moving the puck through the neutral zone last night. The ONLY one. Maybe if he had more cute commercials and was shown playing street hockey with kids more often, people would like him? I still say it's the Charlie Brown lack of any hair on his head that makes people hate him. Best player on hte ice last night after Ward and Stillman, and people complained about him....unreal.

Make that 3 of us who saw the same thing.....he's looked pretty good of late to me

Edited by coastal_caniac

Just a few points I've noted while reading this mess. Seems like Joni needs a great defensive defenceman to cover for his mistakes to enable him to play more freely? Like Anaheim is doing with Lubomir Visnovsky and Toni Lydman? Haven't seen much of Joni's play but he seems to be a similar kind of player with Vish?

Edited by Norther

Just a few points I've noted while reading this mess. Seems like Joni needs a great defensive defenceman to cover for his mistakes and enable him to play more freely? Like Anaheim is doing with Lubomir Visnovsky and Toni Lydman? Haven't seen much of Joni's play but he seems to be a similar kind of player with Vish?

I actually think it is the opposite, I think he just needs a dman who can hold his own and not continually make mistakes for which Joni has to cover for. If he had a partner in which he could trust more he could more freely attack and would better contribute to the offense getting the puck in the zone.

I actually think it is the opposite, I think he just needs a dman who can hold his own and not continually make mistakes for which Joni has to cover for. If he had a partner in which he could trust more he could more freely attack and would better contribute to the offense getting the puck in the zone.

Well, that's exactly what i meant :) Vishnovsky is almost a liability defensively but great offensively (third defenseman in points). With Lydman (third in +-) they do make a great pairing. A trustworthy defender would do wonders to Pits.

Edited by Norther

Well, that's exactly what i meant :)

Well, i would agree with that to but i think it is in the rules that there cannot be 3 consective posts in agreement, so i disagree with you, flip flopper.

ok, yup, my brain is fried. im going out to the man cave and make my wife another "present" its the wildest thing. i get to make something that benefits me, and she likes it because i made it with my hands. strange as all get out. im thinking microwave stand for her birthday :D anyways, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war. see what i just did, i even got a little shakespeare in there. peace out peeps

Make her a "slug press". She can use it to squeeze out banana juice. :)

On topic:

"A hit, a very palpable hit." - Hamlet

Joni just took Montador to Ice Skating 101, and Montador failed. That led to the time and space for the pass to McBain for the overtime winner against the slugs. Too bad Joni is soft eh? He just won the biggest game so far this year.

I put this in the game day thread, but I wanted to put it here too..

I've been really critical of Joni this season, and I still believe rightfully so. With that being said, he has really stepped up his game. Minus a few not-so-great passes, Joni was really on his game tonight. I loved his desperation to stop that breakout play from the slugs.

Joni just took Montador to Ice Skating 101, and Montador failed. That led to the time and space for the pass to McBain for the overtime winner against the slugs. Too bad Joni is soft eh? He just won the biggest game so far this year.

Was that a good play by Joni--yes

Was that a good shot by McBain-yes

Should Miller have stopped that---yes

But I wouldn't put that complete win on Joni because the defender fell down!

The balanced minutes are a huge benefit to this blueline. The 3rd pairing got 18+ minutes, Pitkanen in the low 20s. They have 3 very adequate pairings right now. And in case you haven't been paying attention, McBain has the greenlight to pinch right now, and Pitkanen is expected to cover the points. This reversal seems to make the most sense with this current pairing.

DJ's post was lost in purgatory, just proving to myself Invision is fulla junk

Sorry I made you prove something to/with yourself!!But thats what Legends do!

Edited by djharley

Was that a good play by Joni--yes

Was that a good shot by McBain-yes

Should Miller have stopped that---yes

But I wouldn't put that complete win on Joni because the defender fell down!

Too much basketball around here....watch the replay again. Montador had Joni's number...so he thought. Joni went in with great speed, as if he were going to go to the net, he head pumps toward the goal, pulls a hard stop, and when Montador sees this he tries to match Joni's stop to stay with him and bites the dust. That bought time for the wingers to move in and screen, and for McBain to come up the ice to receive the pass from Joni. That play there is the value in Pitkanen. Don't forget about the .2 seconds left in the game goal from Jokinen. Who passed that puck to get it to Jokinen? I forgot.

This thread reminds me of "Cam Ward is Average at best", (which BTW is a bunch of bologna, and always has been)and some of the same characters are here. If you wanna boo your own team and cause them to implode, perhaps a move to the City of Brotherly Love is in order. Y'all would fit right in.

Here are some future thread titles for all of the haters:

Chad LaRose: too short for the NHL

Jeff Skinner: a figure skater that needs to return to the ice capades?

Cam Ward: average at best

Jay Harrison: If he can't win a fight, then he needs to go

Tim Gleason: If he falls anymore, he needs to move to Niagra

Eric Staal: Why can't we trade him for Oven-Chicken

Brandon Sutter: Too skinny for the NHL

Jiri Tlusty: Not family friendly enough for the fans here in Carolina..send him back to Toronto

Erik Cole: all washed up, we never should have brought him back

Joe Corvo: coughs up the puck too much,

Justin Peters: looks like a hippie and never gets to play, send him on to Ottawa

McBain: See Corvo

Ruutu: is just too aggressive to fit in with our team, all these penalties are killing us

Jokinen: if he can't finnish the shootouts anymore, we need to trade him

Stillman: should have stayed gone, who needs him

Dwyer: yeah he's fast, but he can't finish chances....

Bodie: the man looks like Frankenstein but hits like cinderella

Allen: see bodie

Joslin: do his parents know he's playing a contact sport?

So keep em fresh, we'll be sure to enjoy inventive new ways for you to tear up our favorite team. Our Team includes all the players, whom each have their own unique role in our victories and losses. IMHO, it is perfectly fine to be critical of a player's play or lack of play in a game, but to call one of the Hurricane's 'soft' or 'average at best' or whatever...is a bunch of bull. Take that peace button off your uniform and come on in for the big win.

Too much basketball around here....watch the replay again. Montador had Joni's number...so he thought. Joni went in with great speed, as if he were going to go to the net, he head pumps toward the goal, pulls a hard stop, and when Montador sees this he tries to match Joni's stop to stay with him and bites the dust. That bought time for the wingers to move in and screen, and for McBain to come up the ice to receive the pass from Joni. That play there is the value in Pitkanen. Don't forget about the .2 seconds left in the game goal from Jokinen. Who passed that puck to get it to Jokinen? I forgot. This thread reminds me of "Cam Ward is Average at best", (which BTW is a bunch of bologna, and always has been)and some of the same characters are here. If you wanna boo your own team and cause them to implode, perhaps a move to the City of Brotherly Love is in order. Y'all would fit right in.

i think its called trolling. would link ya to urban dictionary, but would be afraid of kids getting a link. if they look it up for themselves, then fine.

IMHO, it is perfectly fine to be critical of a player's play or lack of play in a game, but to call one of the Hurricane's 'soft' or 'average at best' or whatever...is a bunch of bull. Take that peace button off your uniform and come on in for the big win.

ummmm, have to disagree there. there are average players on every team. average can be really good. its a median cross section of the whole roster, or nhl even. some are a little to a lot below, some are a little to a lot above, but the main body of players will land on or real close to the average. last year, as much as i love brindy, i would have bought out his contract myself if i had the funds available. he was well below average for whatever reason. it was painful to watch.

Great post but wasted energy on deaf ears.

we are reading, so it would be falling on blind eyes, but if they are blind, then they would have it read to them so it would be on deaf ears but that would make them deaf and blind....wait, what is that saying??

Too much basketball around here....watch the replay again. Montador had Joni's number...so he thought. Joni went in with great speed, as if he were going to go to the net, he head pumps toward the goal, pulls a hard stop, and when Montador sees this he tries to match Joni's stop to stay with him and bites the dust. That bought time for the wingers to move in and screen, and for McBain to come up the ice to receive the pass from Joni. That play there is the value in Pitkanen. Don't forget about the .2 seconds left in the game goal from Jokinen. Who passed that puck to get it to Jokinen? I forgot.

This thread reminds me of "Cam Ward is Average at best", (which BTW is a bunch of bologna, and always has been)and some of the same characters are here. If you wanna boo your own team and cause them to implode, perhaps a move to the City of Brotherly Love is in order. Y'all would fit right in.

Here are some future thread titles for all of the haters:

Chad LaRose: too short for the NHL

Jeff Skinner: a figure skater that needs to return to the ice capades?

Cam Ward: average at best

Jay Harrison: If he can't win a fight, then he needs to go

Tim Gleason: If he falls anymore, he needs to move to Niagra

Eric Staal: Why can't we trade him for Oven-Chicken

Brandon Sutter: Too skinny for the NHL

Jiri Tlusty: Not family friendly enough for the fans here in Carolina..send him back to Toronto

Erik Cole: all washed up, we never should have brought him back

Joe Corvo: coughs up the puck too much,

Justin Peters: looks like a hippie and never gets to play, send him on to Ottawa

McBain: See Corvo

Ruutu: is just too aggressive to fit in with our team, all these penalties are killing us

Jokinen: if he can't finnish the shootouts anymore, we need to trade him

Stillman: should have stayed gone, who needs him

Dwyer: yeah he's fast, but he can't finish chances....

Bodie: the man looks like Frankenstein but hits like cinderella

Allen: see bodie

Joslin: do his parents know he's playing a contact sport?

So keep em fresh, we'll be sure to enjoy inventive new ways for you to tear up our favorite team. Our Team includes all the players, whom each have their own unique role in our victories and losses. IMHO, it is perfectly fine to be critical of a player's play or lack of play in a game, but to call one of the Hurricane's 'soft' or 'average at best' or whatever...is a bunch of bull. Take that peace button off your uniform and come on in for the big win.

No basketball here,(we don't even want to go into my opinions about that so-called sport).

I am pretty much just a Hockey fan and have been a hockey fan for over 45 years so maybe that is why I am so opinionated about certain things. But to me it looks like you are as well because you DID bring up a lot of good points about mistakes and opinions about a lot of other players in your post.. Not sure if they are yours or just things you have heard. But if we didn't have all of our different opinions this board would be BORING as heck.

So if Joni schooled Montador on that play,,did Montador school Cam on his goal, it just all depends on how you want to look at a certain play/player. Yes I don't like Joni's game,at all because to me he upside doesn't outweigh his downside, but that is what is nice,you can like his upside more than his downside. If we all agreed we would just be posting how good that guy is and that would be boring as can be. With what these guys(professionals) are paid they should always bring their "A" game. Yes I understand everyone has off days but when the same mistakes are made over and over it just bothers me. A lot of people let the occasional great plays outweigh all the bad little plays that add up over a game. Maybe we should have a thread for every player so we can all put our opinions about their play.

Great post but wasted energy on deaf ears.

Could you type that bigger I can't hear what you are tying to say!!!lol

^ Ironically enough, most of your complaints about Pitkanen, would read just the same if you substituted about half a dozen different Canes names into the sentence. You're picking nits...and accomplishing nothing. Best d-man on the team, easily. Has had three great games in a row, and people still try to find fault in his game....even going so far as to criticize when he makes a great play. It's become quite silly and childish.

^ Ironically enough, most of your complaints about Pitkanen, would read just the same if you substituted about half a dozen different Canes names into the sentence. You're picking nits...and accomplishing nothing. Best d-man on the team, easily. Has had three great games in a row, and people still try to find fault in his game....even going so far as to criticize when he makes a great play. It's become quite silly and childish.

So I give my adult opinion and you try and call me names and you call me Childish!!!Ok!