The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
hockeybaby

Joni Pitkanen

I'm not really going to disagree with how you interpreted the video; however, I think it's really clear that Staal could have easily done more to stop these goals against. That is all.

See what I did there?

Still works beautifully.

Exactly and right now I think their are serious chemistry issues between McBain and Pits that need to be addressed. However I am guessing Mo really likes his Corvo Gleason pairing and doesn't want to blow it up. Plus you cant pair Harrison with Pits because as solid as Harrison is he isn't ready to be thrown to the wolves. He's handling 3rd and 4th liners admirably but it's a different ball game versus 1st liners. Leaving White and I still dont think two offensive d-men paired together fixes anything. Might not be anything we can do without another trade and I'd rather get a defensive d-man while holding onto Pits. I remember all to well how we could not move the puck and we brought in Corvo to break the cement off our feet in our transition game, then brought in Pits to put it over the top.

If this Jim Vandeemeer and Penner rumor held any water depending on who left could really put us over the top.

What I don't get on here is that there are just a few of us that single people out and there are alot of people that like to make excuses for these guys!! This same conversation went on for a few seasons about Kabs and look where he is now (if you can find him). Pits playes the same style as Kabs did, his offensive game doesn't outweigh his defensive blunders. Yes I know if you don't like someone its easy to find mistakes,but its also the same that if you like someone you will find excuses for them. Sometimes its hard to do but really try and concentrate on a certain player thru-out a entire game and watch the goods and the bads and see if that really changes your opinion. Its always easier to remember a big goal,or 1 great pass/play but when you weigh in the entire game, just see if that brings more thoughts into your head about a player.(good or bad). I have been a hockey fan for over 40 yrs and I love the game and maybe sometimes I over watch a player once I think he isn't on his game but every now and then I just might be right.(maybe,,,lol) It has nothing to do persoanally against the person, just their game!

Its only my/our opinions but it seems like there are alot more excuses made,than good/correct plays made when it come to Pits. When is the last big offensive play by Pits,,the pass to Jussi-last yr, a big goal--don't remember one, big hit---um can;t remember one either,, Pits is a veteran player and he should be helping/ backing up our young guys not using them as excuses!! Just my opinion!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

OK, so any of the Pitkanen haters want to explain why he's got the best stats on our team among any defenseman, both offensively (G, A, P) and defensively (TOI, +/-) if he's the worst defenseman on the team?

OK, so any of the Pitkanen haters want to explain why he's got the best stats on our team among any defenseman, both offensively (G, A, P) and defensively (TOI, +/-) if he's the worst defenseman on the team?

There you go killing the mood with facts and stats....darn you!

I don't like the Pits/White pairing. The addition of a solid stay at home defender would sole many of the Canes defensive problems.

That is why our defense is so bad.If he has the best stats we are really in trouble!! Having the best stats on a team with a poor defense is not good!

Isn't he supposed to be our best also? Plus for what he is paid he should be playing like the "ELITE" player he SHOULD be!

Edited by djharley

I don't think Pitt's is eating up a lot of salary. I could be wrong though. Anyone know what he is making?

For this season, Joni is the 2nd highest paid player on the team at $4.5 million.

Ruutu is 3rd at $4 million.

Cole, Gleason and White are at $3 million each

Samsonov next at $2.8

and Corvo next at $2 million.

Jokinen and LaRose are the only others over $1 million both at $1.9 each

All here:

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/CAR?year=2011

And like him or not, Joni can most likely get a slight pay increase and a 3 year deal out of several other NHL teams this summer. I've seen him ranked anywhere from 2nd to 5th most sought after UFA at the trade deadline.

Edited by TheBigKahuna

I never said he wasn't offensively good. I know he is going to put up stats. Though, they really aren't anything to cheer about so far.. Plus, if you are always on the ice your stats are going to be higher..

First of all...why when someone validly criticizes a player it's "hating" on them? Give me a break...this isn't kindergarten, grow up. There's room for more than love or hate.

Anyway...anyone remember the Puck Daddy article from last year titled "The Inscrutable Mystery that is Eric Staal"? A similar story could be written about Pitkanen. When he's on he's one of the best, when he's not it's very obvious. In short, inconsistent. The biggest problem I see is his apparent chemistry issues. It's been hard to find someone to pair him with, which complicates things on our already thin back line.

Unless we are solidly in the playoff realm at the deadline, we have to consider moving him as he would get a big return. Spend that money next year on what we need most, a big solid stay at home type. We don't have anyone in our system that looks to fill that role any time soon (Borer and Carson are not going to get there, and Dumoulin might but he's at least a couple of years away). White, Corvo, and McBain should be able to fill the "puck-moving"/PP point roles adequately. Letting Joni go at the deadline would give these guys a chance to step up and show what they can do.

There are other teams who would pay him $5 mil+? OK, fine, let them.

All that said, I have no idea where JR will go. I'd guess that if he plans to re-sign Jokinen he'll probably try to re-sign Pitkanen. But if Pits chases the money I think JR will let him go.

The reality is that the Canes will have to pay Joni what the market dictates he's worth if he stays. Everyone posting here needs to consider whether he is worth MARKET RATE given his performance.

Several are clearly saying NO WAY. Others are saying MAYBE, but depends on the rate. I haven't heard anyone say YES or CERTAINLY (given wht those $$$ could bring instead).

Be aware that you may be looking at $5MM per year and up, almost certainly much more.

For that, I'd move him for picks and use the $$$ elsewhere.

Tripp more so than not sugar coats everything. Pitkanen's upside is canceled out by his lack of physicality and occasional hiccups.

Can we trade Pitkanen to San Jose and get the "Secret Weapon" back?

Tripp saying "Joni is fighting confidence".???

At 4.5 million a year, confidence shouldn't be an issue. Go buy yourself a Ferrari and get over it. Pitkanen plays at 50% (and no it's not just his style of play) a good deal of the time he's on the ice. Lucic OWNED the crease tonight thanks to not having a defender who's willing to keep people from setting up a permanent residence in front of Cam. Why would we keep this has been? He's had 2 goals, doesn't hit a thing and only looks good on paper.

Sometimes its hard to do but really try and concentrate on a certain player thru-out a entire game and watch the goods and the bads and see if that really changes your opinion. Its always easier to remember a big goal,or 1 great pass/play but when you weigh in the entire game, just see if that brings more thoughts into your head about a player.(good or bad).

I think that's the biggest difference between some of us in drawing our conclusions. I don't focus on just one player because I know and expect that they all will make mistakes during a game. It's a team sport and not a one man show no matter who much money he makes. I expect a team effort in all three zones, guys covering for each other if needed and be aware of ALL their defensive responsibilities. Nobody said the Pits doesn't make mistakes, but some in here keep insisting that his are the only ones that matter.

Joni cost us the game tonight.. I've seen him make numerous stupid plays like the one he did tonight.. I just don't see the argument for him..

Surely Dwyer can catch a little heat for his brain fart on that play?

*Actually, I think that's the one where Sutter blew his coverage on that play. Team defense as a whole is horrible.

My biggest concern right now is that Pitkanen is pouting because Rutherford called him out in front of the team, and his pouting his causing him to play worse...which kills his trade value.

Edited by TheBigKahuna

Joni cost us the game tonight.. I've seen him make numerous stupid plays like the one he did tonight.. I just don't see the argument for him..

Maybe you would, if you'd learn a little more about everyone's defensive responsibilities and start looking outside the box?

Listen, I know hockey. And I know more than just Joni messed up there. But, COME ON. No more defending him. His play directly resulted in a goal against - plain and simple.

Maybe you would, if you'd learn a little more about everyone's defensive responsibilities and start looking outside the box?

Were you at the game last night?

Do you currently play hockey?

I know you're special on this board but your reply and attitude sucks.

I attend almost every Canes game and play myself weekly. I watch almost a game a night if the Canes are playing and I can tell you, Pitkanen is not playing at a level worth $4.5 in my opinion. Then again, nor is Samsonov. I do agree that every player has their ups and downs, but #25 and #14 aren't holding up their ends of the bargain.

jeromeo897 - I'm with you, Pitkanen's play is not helping the Canes win games. I can't count the number of times he dumped the puck deep behind the net only to realize there was no one there. This wasn't on a line change either.

Were you at the game last night?

Do you currently play hockey?

I know you're special on this board but your reply and attitude sucks.

I attend almost every Canes game and play myself weekly. I watch almost a game a night if the Canes are playing and I can tell you, Pitkanen is not playing at a level worth $4.5 in my opinion. Then again, nor is Samsonov. I do agree that every player has their ups and downs, but #25 and #14 aren't holding up their ends of the bargain.

jeromeo897 - I'm with you, Pitkanen's play is not helping the Canes win games. I can't count the number of times he dumped the puck deep behind the net only to realize there was no one there. This wasn't on a line change either.

Wait, so now I have to play hockey weekly to be able to say that I "know hockey". Paul Maurice hasn't played hockey in what, 20 years? See... your comment made no sense.

Maybe I should start a thread about McBain, seeing as how for every good play he makes, he offsets that with two boneheaded plays. Pitkanen's play is DIRECTLY related to the team's play, as are most players. I give Samsonov credit, as every game he's on a different line, different lines DURING a game.

Since you "know hockey", then you should know from line to line, assignments change. Every line doesn't have the same attack strategy. This relates to defensemen as well in the offensive zone. My number one problem with this team, is the coach and his ridiculous line shuffling... it just doesn't make sense.

1/3 of the team's defense is AHL caliber. I know I'm probably in the minority thinking this, but it is my opinion.

Edited by ThaRaven

Listen, I know hockey. And I know more than just Joni messed up there. But, COME ON. No more defending him. His play directly resulted in a goal against - plain and simple.

By keying on one player and saying he cost them the game, you indicate you don't know sports, let alone hockey. As I said in the GDT, keying on one player/play and saying that cost the game breaks a fundamental rule of TEAM sports.

But what do I know, I haven't laced em up for a couple of years... :rolleyes:

While it was Joni's fault that Lucic wasn't covered in front of the net, why isn't Jay Harrison getting ripped for getting burned by a soon to be 42 year old in Mark Recchi? He was given the free pass to go around the boards with all kinds of speed and make a tricky little pass to the front. I'm not freeing Joni from blame on the play, but harrison deserves some too. Either way, I was proud of how our team fought throughout this game even though thomas was a magician. Keep playing that hard and we will definitely be in the playoffs.

Wait, so now I have to play hockey weekly to be able to say that I "know hockey". Paul Maurice hasn't played hockey in what, 20 years? See... your comment made no sense.

Maybe I should start a thread about McBain, seeing as how for every good play he makes, he offsets that with two boneheaded plays. Pitkanen's play is DIRECTLY related to the team's play, as are most players. I give Samsonov credit, as every game he's on a different line, different lines DURING a game.

Since you "know hockey", then you should know from line to line, assignments change. Every line doesn't have the same attack strategy. This relates to defensemen as well in the offensive zone. My number one problem with this team, is the coach and his ridiculous line shuffling... it just doesn't make sense.

1/3 of the team's defense is AHL caliber. I know I'm probably in the minority thinking this, but it is my opinion.

Paul Maurice is a great comparison. A NHL coach plays hockey EVERYDAY, it's their job. It's part of being a team. Watch a practice, he's on the ice the entire time. With that said, I'm not a huge Maurice fan myself.

However I do believe the part of truly understanding hockey is playing it. Especially since the game continues to change.

Also I couldn't agree more with you on your comments about the different lines and the roles/ strategies they have. I think the line shuffling is his attempt to look like he's trying. LOL. I know many believe that a player should be able to jump on any line and roll but from my experience and opinion, taking time to develop some chemistry pays off big time.

I would concur that 1/3 of the defense is AHL quality, Harrison and McBain should both be in Charlotte, hell Gleason's personal life appears to be affecting his game at times. The Dallas games are proof of that. Ian White is okay but just okay. If he was great, Calgary would have never traded him. Corvo I liek a lot. Just gotta keep his confidence up as it seems his game hinges on it.

Love the Canes. Just wish we were more consistent. I have my favorites and others I'm not so fond of, but I always cheer for the Canes. I spend a great deal of money to root them on. My only request is that I get my moneys worth.

I give Samsonov some credit. He played great last night from what I saw. However, he possibly could be on a more consistent line if he proved to be more consistent game in and out.

Paul Maurice is a great comparison. A NHL coach plays hockey EVERYDAY, it's their job. It's part of being a team. Watch a practice, he's on the ice the entire time. With that said, I'm not a huge Maurice fan myself.

However I do believe the part of truly understanding hockey is playing it. Especially since the game continues to change.

Also I couldn't agree more with you on your comments about the different lines and the roles/ strategies they have. I think the line shuffling is his attempt to look like he's trying. LOL. I know many believe that a player should be able to jump on any line and roll but from my experience and opinion, taking time to develop some chemistry pays off big time.

I would concur that 1/3 of the defense is AHL quality, Harrison and McBain should both be in Charlotte, hell Gleason's personal life appears to be affecting his game at times. The Dallas games are proof of that. Ian White is okay but just okay. If he was great, Calgary would have never traded him. Corvo I liek a lot. Just gotta keep his confidence up as it seems his game hinges on it.

Love the Canes. Just wish we were more consistent. I have my favorites and others I'm not so fond of, but I always cheer for the Canes. I spend a great deal of money to root them on. My only request is that I get my moneys worth.

I give Samsonov some credit. He played great last night from what I saw. However, he possibly could be on a more consistent line if he proved to be more consistent game in and out.

I didn't say I never played hockey... but I don't play every week, and it doesn't make me "know" hockey any less. Paul Maurice may be on the ice with his team, but he doesn't "play" hockey. Hockey from a coach's standpoint, and a player's standpoint are different. Sure, the game "changes" in style, some rules, but the fundamentals of hockey remain the same...