The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
hockeybaby

Joni Pitkanen

Listen, I know hockey. And I know more than just Joni messed up there. But, COME ON. No more defending him. His play directly resulted in a goal against - plain and simple.

Seems you are totally misinterpreting my intention because I'm not trying to defend Joni at all. I just call it as I see it -- regardless of the number on the jersey. There is a lot more going on in every goal scoring play and not everything is always so "plain and simple" as you see it.

I know you're special on this board but your reply and attitude sucks.

My opinion is just my opinion and no more special than anyone else's. But you're right, my attitude did suck this morning. After watching one of the most enthusiastic games we have played all year, I guess I let the incessant bashing of a player who is doing a good enough job making himself look bad but gets blamed for everyone elses' mistakes too, get to me. If someone can't even recognize or wants to acknowledge faults and shared responsibilities of other players, or even worse defensive breakdowns by different players during other scoring situations, and only blames Pitkanen every chance they get, it shouldn't really come as a big surprise when someone ends up questioning their credibility or intent.

...I can tell you, Pitkanen is not playing at a level worth $4.5 in my opinion. Then again, nor is Samsonov. I do agree that every player has their ups and downs, but #25 and #14 aren't holding up their ends of the bargain.

I fully agree. However, neither Pitkanen's salary nor Samsonov's play have anything to do with Joni getting blamed for every goal against and are totally different subjects.

Listen, I know hockey. And I know more than just Joni messed up there. But, COME ON. No more defending him. His play directly resulted in a goal against - plain and simple.

No, it was Sutter and Joni's miscommunication on the play that resulted in a goal, maybe if you would stop giving all your attention to the one number 25 in red on the ice and watched the team as a whole, you would've seen that. I will admit that it did take me a couple re-watches to see that it wasn't Joni being boneheaded, just a unfortunate miscommunication.

I will agree with Swanson's point about Joni not playing to his salary, he needs to stop pouting like a 12 year old and put forth his best effort every shift he's on the ice. Comparing our defense to the Bruins defense is like night and day, as someone pointed out in the GDT, the Bruins were covering Thomas and clearing the puck when he fumbled or was put in a bad position, where as on the other side of the ice Cam was on his lonesome. That is not acceptable, and it's no wonder Cam will have the occasional bad game, he gets absolutely no help.

Edited by Blinding

Pitkanen has brain farts just like every other player on this team. And admittedly, since he missed a few games with an "injury" and the birth of his son, his head hasn't been in the right place. But that happens to a lot of players. He'll come around.

The one knock I have against Joni is how he takes forever (in hockey time lapses) to make a play. In his own zone, he takes noticeably longer to move the puck. That extra split second that Joni wastes is a big difference. If he could be just a tad faster, it would go a long way in his defensive game. Sorry if this has been posted before, but that's why I see in Joni.

Like him or hate him, I do think Joni has great games and off games and when he has a good or better game this team plays well like last night. When he is on he plays decent defense and gets the offense going too.

On the defensive front for all the inconsistencies in McBain's game, the guy is right there with Pits and Corvo in assists. He is going to be a very good offensive dman (I think he still qualifies as a rookie this year). Maybe having McBain and Corvo will allow JR to consider moving Joni for something very big and solid on the back. Not saying to do this, just that it could be an option.

Yea he's still a rookie, which caught me off gaurd as I constantly watch the Skinner race. Looked a few down and Mcbain is around 15-20 in rookie scoring.

Pitkanen has brain farts just like every other player on this team. And admittedly, since he missed a few games with an "injury" and the birth of his son, his head hasn't been in the right place. But that happens to a lot of players. He'll come around.

Maybe someone needs to have Joni change is diet away from bean burritos so he can stop having so many brain farts all the time. The birth of his son has nothing to do with his game, we all have things going on in our lives and we can't use them as excuses at work like people make for Joni on here. If a plumber came to your house and had a brain fart on forgot to solder a couple joints and your house flooded and he told you sorry,I'm just having a bad day,I bet that wouldn't fly!!Maybe the Canes front office should forget to send him a paycheck and say ,,oh sorry just had a brain fart!!!

So, why aren't you as critical of Staal when he screws up? Or Jokinen, or Sutter?

Just admit it, you HATE Pitkanen, and when you really dislike a player, it's a LOT easier to pick their game apart. Show me a Canes defender who hasn't made some big mistakes lately?

I only say these things because it's more than obvious you and a couople of other people absolutely hate Joni Pitkanen, and you constantly slam him for things that many hockey players do....even your beloved Eric Staal.

I'm honestly a little confused when people say stuff like, "Just admit it, you hate Pitkanen." Um... yeah... That's the whole point here. I don't like him because he costs all of this money, hasn't done anything offensively in a while, loses puck battles, and usually ends up costing us goals against. Granted, I've actually liked his play in the last couple of games, and by "like" I'm referencing the fact that he has played pretty good defense and is finally shooting the puck more.

Regardless, this whole "you hate Pitkanen" literally doesn't make any sense. Do you mean personally? Because I haven't actually met him.... :shifty:

So, why aren't you as critical of Staal when he screws up? Or Jokinen, or Sutter?

Just admit it, you HATE Pitkanen, and when you really dislike a player, it's a LOT easier to pick their game apart. Show me a Canes defender who hasn't made some big mistakes lately?

I only say these things because it's more than obvious you and a couople of other people absolutely hate Joni Pitkanen, and you constantly slam him for things that many hockey players do....even your beloved Eric Staal.

I don't hate Pits,but this is what this thread is about. I don't like what his game has turned into, and what he is paid to be our top d-man. I don't think he is worth the money that he gets. If there was a Staal/other player thread I would put my opinion about him/them there.

Good, other people who also think that Pitkanen's commitment level isn't where it needs to be! I was very disappointed last night, he took the lazy we out and it cost a goal.

Trade him or waive him, and call up someone from Charlotte who actually wants to be out there. There's plenty of guys down there who are better defensively and who'll work hard which is what is needed...

I used to respect his game, but he's become too much of a defensive liability to tolerate the his relatively minor offensive contribution.

Playing 25 minutes pg is pointless if your are a minus player...

Edited by MICaneFan

Good, other people who also think that Pitkanen's commitment level isn't where it needs to be! I was very disappointed last night, he took the lazy we out and it cost a goal.

Trade him or waive him, and call up someone from Charlotte who actually wants to be out there. There's plenty of guys down there who are better defensively and who'll work hard which is what is needed...

I used to respect his game, but he's become too much of a defensive liability to tolerate the his relatively minor offensive contribution.

Thanks for saving me all the keystrokes, couldn't agree more!! Ditto!

I;m no fan of Pits, BUT there is NO ONE, NADA, NILCH on charlotte that can replace Joni, much less do better, that is just drinking "hater-ade", and not being realistic. Does his play fustrate me at times? yes! has he been dissapointing? YES.. but is he even with his recent play MUCH BETTER than anything down in charlotte? OH YEAH!

replacing somone just becuase you don't like him and think a 'shiney new scrub" from checkers will do better, just isn't realistic. Want to see even more players flying by our "D" , want to see even more put ins off rebounds, want to see even less pucks cleared from our end? and a worse PP than the pathetic one we have now- get rid of pits and think Borer, rodney or whoever and let them try and cover Pit's 25 min and w/i 3 games you will be begging for Joni again..

Joni's replacement won't be found in Charlotte. JR is going to have to go find someone. Besides, a "joni replacement" is not what I think JR will go after. We need a SOLID stay@home defenseman - joni has never been that.

The more games Pits play's, the more his value will/may go down. I think he should be moved before his value drops to 3rd round draft pick or worse. IMO he has more of a downside than upside!

The more games Pits play's, the more his value will/may go down. I think he should be moved before his value drops to 3rd round draft pick or worse. IMO he has more of a downside than upside!

bingo. Who would you like to see us get to fill that hole?

Is Joni a softy??? Well, I just watched the game from last night again and I think we can just wrap this thread up with a solid affirmative YES! PLEASE JR, do something about this! I can't remember a D-man that has frustrated me as much as Joni has over the past few years. He puts a lot of work in... thats great. So do all those cheery people at the DMV. Don't mean they do it well! The truth of the matter is, he has always cost us goals and lately it seems he is costing us games. I can't see us being a real contender in the playoffs with pittiful Joni.

The knock on Joni Pitkanen is that he looks disinterested too often during games. He doesn't have that fire or passion that some look for in a competitor. He is too comfortable and becomes complacent.

Comments like this have followed him through-out his career.

Edited by Whaler1

I'm sorry, I'd rather speed up Borer and Rodney's development in the big leagues than watch Pitkanen glide around out there disinterested. There's no reason that his minutes couldn't be split up amongst the other five guys, and the extra time would help the others out: Corvo and McBain are fine as a first PP unit, and Gleason could use the added minutes to get back to the form he showed two years ago. I also agree with this:

We need a SOLID stay@home defenseman - joni has never been that.

bingo. Who would you like to see us get to fill that hole?

I would LOVE to see Marc Staal be that replacement. Obviously we couldn't just do an even swap of the two, but that might be where our depth up front helps. Throw in Samsonov or a prospect and a pick and that could be enough. I don't see the Rangers actively shopping Staal, but you never know. They may have some interest in having another puck-mover on the back end.

EDIT: Just want to point out that I am still one of the few that sees Joni as a net-positive, but I can see the value of having our defense be a little more defense-first oriented.

Edited by Stealth-ch1

I would LOVE to see Marc Staal be that replacement. Obviously we couldn't just do an even swap of the two, but that might be where our depth up front helps. Throw in Samsonov or a prospect and a pick and that could be enough. I don't see the Rangers actively shopping Staal, but you never know. They may have some interest in having another puck-mover on the back end.

EDIT: Just want to point out that I am still one of the few that sees Joni as a net-positive, but I can see the value of having our defense be a little more defense-first oriented.

I don't see the Rangers, especially after they signed Marc Staal to an extension after becoming an RFA, trading him for anything. Maybe trade Joni to San Jose for someone like Wallin (UFA at end of 2010-11 season). Need to look at teams that are definite sellers right now. (Ottawa, Edmonton, Islanders and Devils) and see what they have to offer as far as players.

Edited by hopper915

If you want a Marc Staal then we'd need to finally take a defensemen in the first round. Then stick with him for more then 3 years before giving up on him.

Well, our track record for drafting d-men hasn't been impressive.

Looking back at our first round d-men:

Nikos Tselios (#22; 1997) No longer in the NHL

David Tanabe (#16; 1999)No longer in the NHL

Igor Knyazev (#15; 2001) No longer in the NHL

Jack Johnson (#3; 2005) Didn't want to be here, now in LA

^ Could have added Cam Fowler to that list several months ago!

Although I will readily admit, I was scared $#itless that that's exactly what the Canes were going to do with that 7th pick....and I did not like Fowler, not even a little bit. I hoped and begged that JR passed him over.

Glad I was right! ;)