The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
hockeybaby

Joni Pitkanen

Pitkanen missed five games in late December and early January with an upper-body injury. He had just two assists and a minus-9 rating in the 12 games since his return before Saturday's game, when he had two assists, was active defensively and was plus-one in the Hurricanes' 4-3 overtime victory over the Atlanta Thrashers.

Pitkanen rated his play "pretty good" this season, but, he noted, "After the injury, the first few games I didn't feel my best."

He quickly added, "But every game you feel better, and I'm ready to play now."

Pitkanen looked it Saturday against the Thrashers, and Maurice said the 6-foot-3, 210-pound blueliner has been playing with more authority.

"I think when you have an injury that sets you back and you're tentative, and I think he's come out of that now," Maurice said. "He's stronger on the ice. He'll be able to take more minutes and be more physically involved with games."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/08/975027/pitkanen-hopes-to-stay.html#ixzz1DNjbYCqg

this is something i'm guilty of, as are many fans- you sometimes forget they are human and not machines and injuries can linger and really affect their performance for longer than they are out. Esp in hockey and the 'warrior" mentality, where get out alot quicker than other sports, we don't cut any slack for the the time when getting back to 100%. We saw this with brandon Sutter early in year and turned out wasn't a sophmore slump,but a lingering injury- and now seeing him much better- Could be the same with joni- and each player and each injury different and no telling if still bothers a player and instead many qucikly jump gun to "lazy", "head not there" or other factors when can just be as simple as not 100% back yet, but trying to help team

wouldn't be that quick to assume anything. We've had other players say they wanted to stay that JR came out and said they'd like to have stay that ended up leaving one way or another. Erik Cole was the last guy in this situation that ended up heading to Edmonton unless I'm not remembering things correctly. Ray Whitney, while not exactly the same situation as Joni's is another player that comes to mind.

yeah , always hard this time of year to take ANYTHING SERIOUS, or beleive 100% from a GM, its like a poker game, sometimes its straight talk, other times a "bluff" to raise the price or players you can get- you just never know, or know the "agenda" and trades already in work and using the media as a tool

Not sure whom is available but it shouldn't be that hard to replace a guy that is lazy,takes dumb penalties,is usually out of position, has a great slap pass to an empty corner,can't hold the blueline and probably has more turnovers than anyone else on the team!!

Heck for a 1/4 of his pay I think I could accomplish what Joni does ^^^^ (look above)^^^!!! The only problem there is, I would want the number "21" which is already spoken for!!! So I guess I'll let JR go out and find someone himself!!!lol

Made him look very attractive, as a rent a player should we fall into the unmentionable situation.

That, and make him look a little more desirable if he does end up ion the trade block.

If the Canes make the playoffs, and he lights it up again then, everyone will be singing his praises.

Very true, just as everyone will cringe if he gets traded and lights it up for his new team. I hope he reads into Maurice's comments and takes full advantage of his chance to make a statement. I'd much rather head down the stretch with a healthy confident Pitkanen than juggling a defense by committee the rest of the way.

Very true, just as they'll cringe if he gets traded and lights it up for his new team. I hope he reads into Maurice's comments and takes full advantage of his chance to make a statement. I'd much rather head down the stretch with a healthy confident Pitkanen than juggling a defense by committee the rest of the way.

The problem is that Joni is getting to the age where his style is set and will stick with it. 27 is in the danger area, and within 2-3 years, he will be impossible to change (if at all).

Edited by CanadianHockeyFan88

The problem is that Joni is getting to the age where his style is set and will stick with it. 27 is in the danger area, and within 2-3 years, he will be impossible to change (if at all).

Like I said in an earlier post, I think Joni is already there and I don't agree with Maurice that he's still developing. I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Like I said in an earlier post, I think Joni is already there and I don't agree with Maurice that he's still developing. I wouldn't mind being wrong.

My mistake, dude. :deadhorse:

Still it would be fun to see Joni doing damage to another team's cap situation while not performing well, and the Canes get something decent back. :yippee:

Very true, just as everyone will cringe if he gets traded and lights it up for his new team. I hope he reads into Maurice's comments and takes full advantage of his chance to make a statement. I'd much rather head down the stretch with a healthy confident Pitkanen than juggling a defense by committee the rest of the way.

Completely agree. Well said.

I hope he's getting his head in it and ready to be that #1 guy. We need him.

It's definitely an interesting scenario. On the one hand, if he's 100% and playing well, then he's our best D-man and can help solidify a playoff spot, but he might walk at the end of the season if we can't pay him.

On the other hand, if we trade him while he's in a funk, we might not get fair value for him, might miss the playoffs, and might watch him light it up with his new team.

That's why JR gets the big bucks. He has to make the call on these tough choices.

If the Canes make the playoffs, and he lights it up again then, everyone will be singing his praises.

Nope. Once you hate a player, there's no going back.

I still don't like Ray Whitney...and he's been gone several months!

I ALMOST understand how the Pitkanen haters feel...ALMOST!

Nope. Once you hate a player, there's no going back.

I still don't like Ray Whitney...and he's been gone several months!

I ALMOST understand how the Pitkanen haters feel...ALMOST!

Fair enough, but I'm aware of how some hockey fans (no one here of course) minds work; one game you love a player, next game you hate the same player (bordering on mild bi-polar, not to use that word as an insult but as a description).

Edited by CanadianHockeyFan88

how can ya not like ray whitney as a player??

I have tone of reasons....but won't go into detail here and now.

Soft, always offsides, turnover machine for fear of getting hit, etc. Not the complete two way player this team is still desperately in need of.

well think he has pretty good numbers in phoenix.. and his history here, goes without saying.. so thats my take on it..he brought alot to the carolina team, other than hockey... the intangibles.. wit and humour.. gret team mate, i think any fan can see that he was a pretty darn good player, but we all have our opinions..

While this is a forum for joni pitkanen, i literally can't wrap my head around not liking whitney.. how many years was he right behind staal in scoring? how many HUGE goals did he score for us?.. It would even be completely fine with me if one might think JR made the right move by not bringing him back this year.. that would be ok.. but to say you didn't like Whitney in a hurricane jersey? hm.. :twilight-zone:

Anyway.. I hope Pits is ok, and I hope carson is ready!

Hm, Whitney had 45 goals, 90 assists, 14 PPG and 7 game winners with Joni in the lineup. Makes me wonder how often he had to thank him.

I used to really appreciate Pit's game.. especially in 08-09. My complaints about him come from him being pretty terrible this year. In my opinion, it's time to move on.

That's exactly how I felt about Whitney last year!

That's exactly how I felt about Whitney last year!

I guess that's fair.. His numbers were down last year.. Of course, everyone's numbers (except jokinen and sutter) were down last year

The trade deadline debacle only poured kerosene on that fire for me.

I was never a fan of Whitney. Then after the olympic break he completely disappeared, contributing absolutely nothing to the cause of a team fighting to reach the 8th spot in the east. He didn't even seem to care. He made it known that he didn't want to be traded, then later said he fully expected to be traded at the deadline. Somebody wasn't telling the truth, either JR or Ray, or both. Rumors were flying, and it was hard to pull the true story out of the mess. Ray said he wanted to go to a contender, Jimmy said he didn't have the heart to trade him, then didn't get any good enough offers, etc. Stories kept changing, rumors kept flying. But in the end a valuable UFA walked away and the Canes got nothing out of it.

big kahuna, not trying to bust them, but u say u dont like whitney, then u mention we let a valuable UFA go, so. im confused here..