The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
hockeybaby

Joni Pitkanen

i was screaming my head off at the tv with my sailorly charm last year for pitts to go somewhere, anywhere but here, last year. i stopped focusing on 25 and started watching the team. we just weren't very good as a team. we all know that it was a group fail, and started to really get annoyed with trip covering crap with sugar.

we don't have a prayer when the other team(any of the other 29 teams) starts cycling the puck. the front of the net is free parking, and the concept of a high forward is alien to this team. we cheat like mad in the defensive zone, and our d pinches at will most of the time. we get pushed around by most teams, and we can't win games that the opfor clogs the neutral zone.

our goalie is in the top 3 or 4 of all goalies, but his numbers suck because he is out there by himself. my understanding is that the goalie is responsible for the shot and to control the rebound if possible. the other 5 players have to keep the other team off of him, block shots, clear rebounds, and exit the zone. cam ward was phenomenal the cup year, but we had hella better defense in front of him. it is a credit to cam for him to keep the numbers he does, with the teams since the cup.

with all that said, and as much as it kills me to say it, pitts is a asset that we cannot afford to lose. i cant think of many that can get the puck behind the net, break out, take the thing through the neutral zone, and take it behind the net in the offensive zone. sure other players do it, but not on a regular basis. if the man would shoot it would be more effective. at any rate, you don't have an offensive game unless you are in the offensive zone, and that is what he brings to the table.

all of this is just my humble opinion.

edited because i was a bit groggy on old fashioned cough medicine :D

Edited by dreadedcaniac

From Chip's Blog...

"For all those speculating (hoping?) Joni Pitkanen might be traded, he has 6 assists in the last 4 games he has played. So give it a rest."

Amen....

i was screaming my head off at the tv with my sailorly charm last year for pitts to go somewhere, anywhere but here, last year. i stopped focusing on 25 and started watching the team. we just weren't very good as a team. we all know that it was a group fail, and started to really get annoyed with trip covering crap with sugar.

OMG LMAO. That is the EXACT way I feel when Tripp opens his mouth. So many times I wish he'd just say "that was a bad play by so and so" or "wow, I think Cam should have saved that one" or something. Some of the things that come out of his mouth -- "covering crap with sugar" -- are just ludicrous and makes him lose credibility.

Thanks for putting that all into some great words. I might re-use them. :-)

From Chip's Blog...

"For all those speculating (hoping?) Joni Pitkanen might be traded, he has 6 assists in the last 4 games he has played. So give it a rest."

Amen....

I second that. It will still suck mightily if he leaves at season's end and we get no compensation, but if we make it to the playoffs and -- hopefully -- beyond the 1st round, then it'll be worth keeping him here.

Sometimes the best trade you can make is the one you don't make.

I second that. It will still suck mightily if he leaves at season's end and we get no compensation, but if we make it to the playoffs and -- hopefully -- beyond the 1st round, then it'll be worth keeping him here.

Sometimes the best trade you can make is the one you don't make.

I agree it would suck if he walks in the off season. But if Rutherford is serious about making "some" kind of run in the playoffs, the team needs Pitkanen. The team can't afford to trade away their offensive defenseman to address another need (like forward scoring/strength). Then some would say to trade Pitkanen for his own replacement. OK, but if a team is seeking an offensive blueliner, they're not typically offering one up in the trade. Team's address "needs" and a team willing to trade for Pitkanen isn't going to send his replacement the other way.

When was the last time the Pits had any good offensive play??I am so tired of hearing about his "offensive upside". Oh OK,,yes he passed the puck to the middle of the ice and Cole was able to get the shaft of his stick and deflect it into the net..Yes is was an assist but it was a great play by Cole not Pits!! Normally he turns the puck over,he can't hold the puck in the offensive zone,,oh wait again I think I remember an upside,,,he stands behind the net with the puck on the PP then he is able to skate the puck to the blue line and then turn it over,,,hey at least he got it out of the zone before he turned it over!!! :deadhorse::deadhorse:

When was the last time the Pits had any good offensive play??I am so tired of hearing about his "offensive upside". Oh OK,,yes he passed the puck to the middle of the ice and Cole was able to get the shaft of his stick and deflect it into the net..Yes is was an assist but it was a great play by Cole not Pits!! Normally he turns the puck over,he can't hold the puck in the offensive zone,,oh wait again I think I remember an upside,,,he stands behind the net with the puck on the PP then he is able to skate the puck to the blue line and then turn it over,,,hey at least he got it out of the zone before he turned it over!!! :deadhorse::deadhorse:

Not to mention his many penalties... ugh..

Not to mention his many penalties... ugh..

He was by far the worst player on the ice last night and he makes way more mistakes lately than good plays. Looking at his TOI last night he played nearly 30 mins. Carson had around 8 mins. He looked slow and took penalties at the worst time. Way too many minutes are costing us.

Wasn't Carson responsible for that first Rangers goal? That is the EXACT reason why he didn't play any more minutes. Maurice will not tolerate ANY mistakes from younger players.

Yes it was partially on Carson and yes he is young but why would you tolerate mistakes over and over by a so called top dman and not sit him as well. On Carsons behalf he is still very young and learning the game not a top payed dman. I expect mistakes by the young guns but not as many by the vets on both sides of the puck.. And Cam isn't on the top of his game either! You put Cam and Pits together and your talking about 10/11 million per yr and you put Carson and McBain together and maybe just a million or so. Plus the years experience!

Edited by djharley

And Harry had a goal, great for him, but he was also on the ice for 2 Rangers goals. No one is calling for his head. Gleason played ho-hum. Matter of fact, the entire defense sucks balls. Why not just trade all 7 of them?

I actually liked Gleason's play last night. And the goal against that went off of Harrison's stick was fluky; I don't think you can blame him on that one. I think Harrison has been one of our better dmen, along with Corvo. But you have to realize that every other game you have to come on here and defend a bunch of mistakes Pitkanen made..

The only thing I'm worried about is trading Pits could be a complicating trade that JR might not even pursue it. Heck, I would have loved it if we traded Pits to Dallas and got exactly what the Pens got out of it for trading Goligoski

And Harry had a goal, great for him, but he was also on the ice for 2 Rangers goals. No one is calling for his head. Gleason played ho-hum. Matter of fact, the entire defense sucks balls. Why not just trade all 7 of them?

BigKahuna - couldn't agree more. the entire defense corp is weak. Harrison is not as good as Pitkanen, then again, Pitkanen makes 9 times more than him but is only twice as good (which is why no one is calling for Harrison's head). You have to earn what you make and Pitkanen has NOT done that this year. McBain and Corvo have both kept up with Pits this year for far less money. For being a offensive defensemen Pitkanen has the same amount of goals as Harrison and Gleason. Sure he has way more assists but does that warrant $4 mil more than Harrison. Hell Babchuk's numbers are better than Pitts. It would be different in my mind if Pitts hit or played solid D. I say if he has value, trade him. I doubt he'll take a hometown discount to stay here like Corvo did. Then again maybe he will, he'd get booed out of most other hockey cities.

Part of the problem is pairings. Corvo and Pitkanen do not belong out there 5 on 5.

Another part is we have a mish-mash of guys, none of whom make for really great pairings. Even if they did, Maurice wouldn't leave them together very long.

Rutherford needs to get rid of two d-men, and bring in two better fitting pieces. I don't care which two...honestly.

Not one of the 7 d-men we're carrying right now, is flawless. No d-man in the league is....even the ones who make $6 million or more per season are perfect. Yet we expect our highest paid d-men to be perfect every night. Everyone has their specialties and weaknesses. It's the coaches job to put those players in situations that best emphasize their strengths, and allow their partners to cover their weaknesses. And there, the coach and GM are failing.

Part of the problem is pairings. Corvo and Pitkanen do not belong out there 5 on 5.

Another part is we have a mish-mash of guys, none of whom make for really great pairings. Even if they did, Maurice wouldn't leave them together very long.

Rutherford needs to get rid of two d-men, and bring in two better fitting pieces. I don't care which two...honestly.

Not one of the 7 d-men we're carrying right now, is flawless. No d-man in the league is....even the ones who make $6 million or more per season are perfect. Yet we expect our highest paid d-men to be perfect every night. Everyone has their specialties and weaknesses. It's the coaches job to put those players in situations that best emphasize their strengths, and allow their partners to cover their weaknesses. And there, the coach and GM are failing.im sure canes wish it was easy to just get 2 servicable d-men at this point in time and get rid of two, almost impossible to do

Maybe we could trade Joni for Ian White,,would love to see him in a Canes jersey,,maybe he would look good in #7 and save over a million dollars...Sounds like a no brainer to me!!! :thumbsup::help::lol:

... It's the coaches job to put those players in situations that best emphasize their strengths, and allow their partners to cover their weaknesses. And there, the coach and GM are failing.

and now it's the coaches. Anyone, but Joni. Who is the object when he covers "their weaknesses" this year? IMO he is being masked as a weak partner as witnessed by the Corvo/Gleason combo being split as an attempt to cover for the Joni/McBain disaster of a pairing.

Would any of us split Corvo/Gleason as a shutdown pair to improve it? I'd love to meet that person. Nope, they are doing the covering, not Joni. We tried White with Joni, nope - that didn't work. We put White with Harrison, and that worked. Who, oh who, do we pair Joni with so he can cover for them (disgusted!).

Edited by Manwolf

Maybe we could trade Joni for Ian White,,would love to see him in a Canes jersey,,maybe he would look good in #7 and save over a million dollars...Sounds like a no brainer to me!!! :thumbsup::help::lol:

You weren't watching the Sharks/Pens game tonight were you. White is pretty awful. Good riddance. Definitely not worth $3 million per season.

You weren't watching the Sharks/Pens game tonight were you. White is pretty awful. Good riddance. Definitely not worth $3 million per season.

Nope didn't watch much off that game,,, but It does take someone a little time to learn/settle with a new team. I thought Ian was really starting to come around here in NC..and if he isn't worth 3 million then Pits sure as heck isn't worth 4.5 million!!

Nope didn't watch much off that game,,, but It does take someone a little time to learn/settle with a new team. I thought Ian was really starting to come around here in NC..and if he isn't worth 3 million then Pits sure as heck isn't worth 4.5 million!!

That's where you're wrong.

Let's make a friendly wager that after the free agent dust settles, that Pitkanen's new contract will pay him more than White's new contract. Substantially more.

I don't think White gets a penny more than $3 million in his next contract...I'd be a bit shocked if he gets that much. Pitkanen will get $4.5...unless he opts for a 5+ year deal for a bit less. The market will dictate the differences, not fan opinion.

Edited by TheBigKahuna

That's where you're wrong.

Let's make a friendly wager that after the free agent dust settles, that Pitkanen's new contract will pay him more than White's new contract. Substantially more.

No need to wager about that because I also think that the Canes will way over pay Pits like they have in the past with a guy that they like ( Frank Kaberle). Just becuase they like "HIS GAME"/"STYLE OF PLAY" doesn't mean that he is worth that kind of money. Plus if he was really all that great why isn't anyone knocking down the Canes door to get him!!

If that is the case and they think they will sign him because he says he wants to stay here I hope he just walks! At least I will have someone to hammer on next year as well...This may end up being the longest running post/thread ever!!!lol

Edited by djharley

No need to wager about that because I also think that the Canes will way over pay Pits like they have in the past with a guy that they like ( Frank Kaberle). Just becuase they like "HIS GAME"/"STYLE OF PLAY" doesn't mean that he is worth that kind of money. Plus if he was really all that great why isn't anyone knocking down the Canes door to get him!!

If that is the case and they think they will sign him because he says he wants to stay here I hope he just walks! At least I will have someone to hammer on next year as well...This may end up being the longest running post/thread ever!!!lol

DJ, how do you know whats going on in JR's office right now before the trade deadline?