The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
JLP

Canes Claim Troy Bodie on Waivers from Ducks

Interesting move... Link

Forward has played in nine games this season with Anaheim

Tuesday, 11.16.2010 / 12:13 PM / News

By Paul Branecky

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has claimed right wing Troy Bodie on waivers from the Anaheim Ducks.

“Troy is a gritty player who gets up and down the ice well,” said Rutherford. “He will add good size and a physical presence to our corps of forwards.”

Bodie, 25, has played in nine games with the Ducks this season, earning one assist and registering seven penalty minutes. The Portage La Prairie, Man., native is in his fifth professional season, and third season with Anaheim. In 57 career NHL regular-season games with the Ducks, Bodie (6’4”, 213 lbs.) has scored five goals, earned three assists (8 points) and accumulated 87 penalty minutes. Anaheim drafted Bodie in the ninth round, 278th overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Edited by JLP

Interesting move... Link

Interesting indeed... With all the forwards they have, what's on JR's mind? I do like his size. Maybe he's the net presence the team needs? That size should be hard to push around. He's also big enough to stand up to the thugs of the league.

I would have thought that JR would go after a good defenseman, since it's no big secret the D needs some help. Of course, this could always be part one of something much bigger. We'll know in time. However, looks like Patty O will have play his A++ game tomorrow night. I bet this is why he got the nod to play...to see what he can do in relation to the new guy.

I checked out the Ducks message boards, and the concensus is they're a little shocked over there. Regardless, whether he's going to be another Ruu or Jussi, or a dud, the others will definitely be stepping up tomorrow. We'll know in about 30 hours what this change is going to do.

Welcome...T-Bone (as he was referred on a Ducks post). Good luck!

Interesting, another fringe NHL third line winger. At face value not what we really need. But given his size and ability to throw a punch maybe it's worth it to add that kind of physical presence. We can certainly use some help in that department. Doesn't really appear to be a scoring threat though. Welcome to the land of misfit toys, Troy.

my first thought was that we got a semi enforcer/screen. he adds size, which we desperately need. looked him up on a hunch that we were bringing a tough guy in and found him

here :rockon:

we finally have someone that can and will throw a punch, and we can live with him in the box.

Edited by dreadedcaniac

my first thought was that we got a semi enforcer/screen. he adds size, which we desperately need. looked him up on a hunch that we were bringing a tough guy in and found him

here :rockon:

we finally have someone that can and will throw a punch, and we can live with him in the box.

Well, if we go by hockeyfights.com's votes he is a mediocre fighter. Don't get me wrong, I think any grit is good for our team at this point but I don't expect him to be clobbering his opponents. He's obviously capable of winning some so if he can pull them out at key times then he'll be a good addition to our grit-challenged lines. I like his size and PIM.

Well, if we go by hockeyfights.com's votes he is a mediocre fighter. Don't get me wrong, I think any grit is good for our team at this point but I don't expect him to be clobbering his opponents. He's obviously capable of winning some so if he can pull them out at key times then he'll be a good addition to our grit-challenged lines. I like his size and PIM.

the main thing is to get someone out there that can win and is willing to give it a go on a regular basis. we have timmah g, but we can't afford t have him in the box. we can't really afford to have harrison in the box. thats the only 2 real d-men that play defense first and maybe take a shot if it comes up and bites them to let them know that its there and wants attention.

we are horrible at d as it stands. please do not make it any worse by sitting for 5 or better yet game misconduct with our non offensive defensive personnel :gunhead: ill cry.

i wish we had a scotty walker. inch high and afraid of nothing. hell, ill take whoever can make a hit and get in a scrap if needed. and for gods sake, someone big enough to stand in front of a goalie and not get just pushed around like we're wee little men. :groupwave: <--- wee little men

Edited by dreadedcaniac

Clearly a move to add size and "grit' and another guy to drop the gloves.

I really wonder if we might not be looking at a trade soon. Need 4th line guys on the 4th line. The only way if affects O'Sullivan is that it leaves even less room on the 4th line for 'tryouts". Ultimately Sully either makes it on the top 9 or he is released/sent down.

Here's a crazy thought. Sammy gets traded. Maybe he's on the first line partly to showcase him for a trade. He is in a last year of contract and we have WAY too many wingers.

JR isn't done yet. If you listened to his interview from Montreal you would have had more than a hunch a roster move was coming sooner than later. Pay good attention to his words in Chip's article from the N&O:

Canes claim Bodie off waivers

Submitted by chipalexander on 11/16/2010 - 12:48

The Hurricanes have claimed right wing Troy Bodie on waivers from the Anaheim Ducks. Bodie, 25, has played in nine games with the Ducks this season, earning one assist and registering seven penalty minutes.

"We did our homework on him the last 24 hours and we felt like there is very little risk in this acquisition, with a player on a two-way contract," general manager Jim Rutherford said. "But the upside is that he's young, hard-working, a good team player. He obviously adds size and he can play a gritty, physical game."

Canes coach Paul Maurice said Bodie would be at the morning skate Wednesday and indicated Bodie could be in the lineup and on the fourth line for the Pittsburgh game on Friday. That will add to the Canes' surplus of forwards.

"We're going to have to make some move here in the next little while," Rutherford said. "We have not planned to carry that many forwards, or that many players for that matter. So we'll have to see what happens here in the near future.

"So many things, I guess, could happen to clean up that situation."

That might involve a trade. Rutherford said adding a defenseman might be a possibility.

"We're looking at our defense," he said. "It's more about trying to fit guys into the right spot in their combinations, and if something came along that made sense for us there we'd consider a change."

But Rutherford said any deal that would add to the payroll is "preferably what we'd not like to do."

Bodie, a Portage La Prairie, Man., native, is in his fifth professional season, and third season with Anaheim. In 57 career NHL regular-season games with the Ducks, Bodie (6’4”, 213 lbs.) has scored five goals, earned three assists (8 points) and accumulated 87 penalty minutes.

Edmonton drafted Bodie in the ninth round, 278th overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Think about which teams are at the cap and may have players coming back from injury soon......

JR isn't done yet. If you listened to his interview from Montreal you would have had more than a hunch a roster move was coming sooner than later. Pay good attention to his words in Chip's article from the N&O:

Think about which teams are at the cap and may have players coming back from injury soon......

I swear I hadn't even seen that! Yes a trade is imminent.

But Rutherford said any deal that would add to the payroll is "preferably what we'd not like to do."

After the trade part I think this is the next part you've gotta keep your eye on. If a teams at the cap who'se going to give up a cheap NHL ready potential stud? Their going to look to move the old overpaid guy first.

Edited by legend-1

OMG we're getting Kovalchuk! :yahoo:

..................... joking of course. But you are hinting at the Devils? I'm a little behind on all this, I didn't read that bit of media.

How interesting is this? Bodie looks like a pretty good tough guy. So the indications are this is a precursor to a bigger move. JR doesn't want to add much to the salary so who ever we trade is probable making a a good salary. Must first subtract before one adds. This has my attention.

While I do think a trade may be coming, I doubt it will be a blockbuster. We need first line wing help, but that would cost some money, so while it would be well within our cap ability, very unlikely. We need stay at home defense help, but it would have to be someone pretty darned solid to be an improvement over what we have.

If I had to make a wild guess who might be moving the other way, I would just say, "keep an eye on the Russians". Once again, this is based on nothing but a hunch. A pure guess, but it makes sense for several reasons.

"We're going to have to make some move here in the next little while," Rutherford said. "We have not planned to carry that many forwards, or that many players for that matter. So we'll have to see what happens here in the near future.

Translation: JR will try to move at least one forward if not two, or a combination of a forward and defensman since he is looking to add one.

If two Canes are involved the new guy's salary could go up to ~$4 mill without adding any or too much to JR's payroll. Big question is who is on the chop block.

I don't know anything about Bodie, but took a peek at the Duck's message board to see what they were saying. They've got a two page thread, almost all were sorry to see him put on waivers and thought there were others that the Ducks should have exited first. A couple were hoping to see him sneak through waivers unnoticed. After the news came about Carolina picking him up, the lamenting from the Ducks fans for losing Bodie got so thick, one of the Duck's posters had to sarcastically bring them back to reality with:

"gosh!!!! without Bodie we are doooomed!!!!.......... hury hury hury put all your money on Carolina to win the cup."

:D