The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
JLP

Canes Claim Troy Bodie on Waivers from Ducks

Regarding JR's trade talk, I wonder if acquiring Colton Teubert is still in the cards. I heard his name come up in the Ray Whitney-to-L.A. rumor talk. Apparently the guy has a lot of potential but a hand injury has kept him out of action his year, although he was recently activated and assigned. It's not as if the guy is a sure thing, because apparently the Kings feel he hasn't developed as quickly as they'd hoped and have even gone as far as to draft a guy who seems to fill a similar role (Derek Forbert). However, the guy is still young and seems like a good fit. He might just need a change of scenery, and we all know how much JR likes to get former 1st rounders who have already gained a bit of seasoning in another organization.

Here's what "Hockey's Future" says about him:

"Teubert is not much of a threat on offense. The 6’4 blue liner is a big, strong, stay at home defenseman. He plays a shutdown defensive game. Continued focus on building foot speed and quickness will complement his physical stature. Size, grittiness and toughness are obvious attributes. A fierce competitor that thrives on going up against the opposition's best."

Sounds like he's right up our alley considered that we don't need any more offensive from our defensemen. The only other knock on him is that he can be too aggressive and undisciplined at times, but I think he'll grow out of it and I'd take that over apathy any day. Either way I think he's worth a look, maybe we could get him for a winger to two, and he should be cheap

OMG we're getting Kovalchuk! :yahoo:

..................... joking of course. But you are hinting at the Devils? I'm a little behind on all this, I didn't read that bit of media.

boston is a team at cap and needing to shed salary with sturm and savard coming back( ironically would be seidenberg coming back)

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/07/mailbag-thinking-about-the-salary-cap-sturm-savard-and-more/

Most of you just want to know what Boston is going to do to make room for Marc Savard and Marco Sturm, when the rehabilitating forwards return to active duty. Some of you had some hockey-related questions as well.

Working in generalities, a couple players have to go to make room for Sturm and Savard, who by the way are probably still both at least a minimum of a month away from returning. Basically it’s going to take the Bruins jettisoning some combination of two or three players from the list of usual suspects, including Michael Ryder, Blake Wheeler, Matt Hunwick or Daniel Paille. Depending on the market, Mark Stuart could be tradeable, while Brad Marchand could be sent to the minors without waivers. Adam McQuaid and Brian McGrattan could also provide some relief by being assigned to Providence after clearing waivers.

Edited by canes-in-7

boston is a team at cap and needing to shed salary with sturm and savard coming back( ironically would be seidenberg coming back)

http://www.thebruins...avard-and-more/

Most of you just want to know what Boston is going to do to make room for Marc Savard and Marco Sturm, when the rehabilitating forwards return to active duty. Some of you had some hockey-related questions as well.

Working in generalities, a couple players have to go to make room for Sturm and Savard, who by the way are probably still both at least a minimum of a month away from returning. Basically it’s going to take the Bruins jettisoning some combination of two or three players from the list of usual suspects, including Michael Ryder, Blake Wheeler, Matt Hunwick or Daniel Paille. Depending on the market, Mark Stuart could be tradeable, while Brad Marchand could be sent to the minors without waivers. Adam McQuaid and Brian McGrattan could also provide some relief by being assigned to Providence after clearing waivers.

Interesting. As we know, JR loves to bring back his lost boys, and Seidendberg is a shot blocking type. On the other hand the quote you provided didn't mention Seidendberg. One would think at this point in the year, when few trades happen, that this kind of situation is what would be needed to make a move. Does Boston want Sammy back? Or Babchuk? One wonders. One would like to see a move. One never knows. On the one hand, one is concerned that the last defenseman we took off Boston's hands (also a lost boy) didn't work out so well. On the other hand one realizes that Boston has a pretty darned good defense.

Who, other than Seidenberg would you want from Boston? One wonders.

Edited by remkin

Frankly, I think the target of a trade may very well be New Jersey's Anton Volchenkov. He's exactly what we're looking for: a stay-at-home, shot blocking defenseman. At $4.25 million he's not a cap buster, either. We could ship out Samsonov and O'Sullivan (combined cap hit of about $3.15 million), which would give the Devils some much-needed cap space as they have multiple guys on defense returning from injury (at the moment they have nine defensemen on the payroll, three of which are on the IR) as well as giving them some new life on offense.

If not, then for the same reasons, Seidenberg is the second best choice, though that only clears about $100k in space for the Bruins so we may need to take someone else (perhaps Daniel Paille, who is worth $1.066 million, and not doing much in Boston, as the above blogger noted).

Edited by Obi-Wan

Let's hope he can some of this :boxing: and this :score:

Getting back on topic, looks like the jury is still out on Bodie. He will fight but I can't find a fight he has actually won.

He can also score but if his wopping five goals and 3 assists in 57 NHL games is an indicator of his scoring prowess I think we shouldn't set the bar too high with him. However, with his size, playing a gritty game, going into the nasty areas and being a team player, he does bring other intangibles the Canes could really, really use right now.

Nothing against Bodie, but we have nobody in our system to call up to fill this niche? It's sad to me and says alot about our scouting and drafting when we can't fill a need within our on system first. I mean we have Blanchard, Dodge and Osala sitting there in Charlotte.

If two Canes are involved the new guy's salary could go up to ~$4 mill without adding any or too much to JR's payroll. Big question is who is on the chop block.

I am betting that the offense/defense combo to be moved would be Sammy/Babchuck.

#1 would be Sammy. He is established for us as a guy whose game goes hot and cold. He's in the last year of his contract. He has a veteran contract. He has been showcased on the first line. He is in an upswing right now playing well, so his stock may be decently high. We have a huge logjam on left wing. We probably don't resign Sammy next year anyway. Also, Sammy is another small guy. Cole is playing too well, and brings a physicality that we really can't afford to give up, but if a team were slobbering over him and had the right guy to trade it could be a long shot. Still, factor in the JR man love for Cole, another prodigal son, lost boy returned, and it's really a long shot. Can't imagine that O'Sullivan has any trade value right now. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the team has been hiding him until this trade is made.

On defense I pick Babchuk, not because he's not playing well, but because he is still a net negative in his own end (though I think he's improved there), offensive d-men are much sought after and he's that in spades. Babchuk is on nearly a 15 goal pace, which would have put him at #5 in the league last year. Yes, it's a projection, but he did exactly that his last season in the NHL. So, despite the nay sayers, I would like to keep Babchuk. However, there is that nasty history with JR. It is his last year under contract, and there is no doubt that if he hangs up 15 goals he's going to be looking for a HUGE payday next year. Plus, we need a big stay at home smash mouth kind of guy and that is not Babs. And we have other offensive dmen.

Personally I'd think about moving Corvo, but really the guy took a home town discount, so I don't see JR moving him.

A longshot would be a blockbuster deal involving Pits. It would have to be a big name coming back though. But he is in his last year also.

I think if JR can find value for an offensive dynamo that is Babs, he would move him.

So Sammy and Babs for......I have no idea.

Of course this is pure conjecture. I am probably dead wrong.

Edited by remkin

On a positive note, it's about time the Canes get a guy like Bodie in the lineup to fill roles they are suited for. IMO, we should have been filling the bottom-6 with these hard-checking physical types in the first place.

The guy sounds like the youth-movement/rebuild equivalent of Scott Walker. The experiment of running without a designated "tough-guy" a la Conboy/Brookbank would seem to be over. I was a little surprised we let Conboy go over the summer as he seemed to fit well in the locker room both here and for the Rats (he was their Captain).

Anyway...as noted this does make us more forward heavy than we already were, and it is obvious we need help on D. I don't see us getting Seidenberg or Volchenkov, both were signed just this summer and seem to fit long term with their teams despite both having cap issues. If I were to just throw a name out there, I'd look at Ian White. He's struggling a bit this year, but so is Calgary overall, and he's only signed for this year. Puck mover but solid D too.

Who would go? Hard to say since JR would have to move enough salary plus the right bodies for it to make sense. Bigger salaries would include Samsonov and Babchuk, not too many other options there. Others include Dwyer, McBain, Tlusty, etc. Long list there.

When? That 5 game window in early December looms large, as it seems to every year.

The bright side is at least we have another guy now that is willing to drop the gloves. But he probably will be coached out of it like most of our other gritty players were(Gleason,Alberts,Ward,Walker). I hope Troy does well here, and the Canes will allow some toughness on the ice instead of this European style that we play!

WELCOME TROY!!

Can you imagine waking up one day in Cali. and finding out you have to leave and head to the east coast? Guess you have to pack, do laundry get all of your life in a suitcase and roll!! I'm sure that isn't easy!

Edited by djharley

From Paul's TTS Blog:

Tuesday waiver acquisition Troy Bodie was at the morning skate but will not be in the lineup against Ottawa, although he is expected to play in the team’s next game in Pittsburgh on Friday. The 6-foot-4, 213-pound right wing had a busy day yesterday and did not get much sleep due to jet lag from Anaheim, and will thus get more time to settle in before suiting up with the Canes.

“It was a whirlwind 24 hours and a lot of emotions going through,” he said. “When I was told I got claimed by Carolina I was excited. It’s a great hockey city with a history of a Stanley Cup. I’m excited to be here.”

When he does play, coaches will ask the 25-year-old to bring a physical presence to the Hurricanes’ fourth line.

“He’s certainly bigger than a lot the guys we have up front, and he certainly moves pretty well once he gets going,” said Maurice.

In something of a strange occurrence across the small world of hockey, the only member of the organization Bodie knew coming in was Jiri Tlusty, a teammate from the Toronto Marlies last season. However, they only played a handful of games together before Tlusty was traded to Carolina in exchange for Philippe Paradis.

“Sometimes you bring a guy in and he knows six guys he’s played with and it’s real easy for him, but these are all new faces, all new names, all new names and new coaches,” said Maurice. “It’s a little bit overwhelming.”

Bodie now becomes the first Hurricanes player on Twitter and can be found @TroyBodie. However, he’s only made three tweets since May, and admits to not having a full understanding of how it works, saying that his girlfriend suggested he join. He added that he only reactivated his account two days ago.

Full blog article here

And for all you Twitter 'ers:

That is the real Troy Bodie on Twitter. When told that fans were excited to have a player tweeting, he said, "They'll be disappointed."

Team toughness was questionable. One of my favorite things to see in hockey is someone getting laid out. Really the only guys we have that hit are: Gleason, Rutuu, and Cole. He adds size. A 6-4 fourth line grinder that can punish the opposition. Can this guy skate? Has anyone seen him skate in practice?

Time for a little of this...

:deadhorse:

We should have just kept Alberts. :facepalm2:

Or Seidenburg

From Paul's TTS Blog:

Tuesday waiver acquisition Troy Bodie was at the morning skate but will not be in the lineup against Ottawa, although he is expected to play in the team’s next game in Pittsburgh on Friday. The 6-foot-4, 213-pound right wing had a busy day yesterday and did not get much sleep due to jet lag from Anaheim, and will thus get more time to settle in before suiting up with the Canes.

“It was a whirlwind 24 hours and a lot of emotions going through,” he said. “When I was told I got claimed by Carolina I was excited. It’s a great hockey city with a history of a Stanley Cup. I’m excited to be here.”

When he does play, coaches will ask the 25-year-old to bring a physical presence to the Hurricanes’ fourth line.

“He’s certainly bigger than a lot the guys we have up front, and he certainly moves pretty well once he gets going,” said Maurice.

In something of a strange occurrence across the small world of hockey, the only member of the organization Bodie knew coming in was Jiri Tlusty, a teammate from the Toronto Marlies last season. However, they only played a handful of games together before Tlusty was traded to Carolina in exchange for Philippe Paradis.

“Sometimes you bring a guy in and he knows six guys he’s played with and it’s real easy for him, but these are all new faces, all new names, all new names and new coaches,” said Maurice. “It’s a little bit overwhelming.”

Bodie now becomes the first Hurricanes player on Twitter and can be found @TroyBodie. However, he’s only made three tweets since May, and admits to not having a full understanding of how it works, saying that his girlfriend suggested he join. He added that he only reactivated his account two days ago.

Full blog article here

And for all you Twitter 'ers:

That is the real Troy Bodie on Twitter. When told that fans were excited to have a player tweeting, he said, "They'll be disappointed."

Not saying that he's not excited to be here, but they all have to say that. We know now that Rod was totally dismayed when traded to Carolina, but I bet at the time he said the same as the above!

Or Seidenburg

Not saying that he's not excited to be here, but they all have to say that. We know now that Rod was totally dismayed when traded to Carolina, but I bet at the time he said the same as the above!

Agreed, they all do have their stock answers in those initial interviews but in his case, he's at least somewhat happy about being claimed off waivers rather then having to be sent to Anaheim's farm team.

Some more backround:

Ducks A-Z: Troy Bodie

It is fair to say that Troy Bodie was considered more of a project than a prospect when he was drafted by the Edmonton Oilers in 2003.

Key 2009-10 numbers: 44 games, 5 goals, 2 assists, 7 points, 80 penalty minutes, -8 plus-minus rating, 62 hits, 11:49 average time on ice.

What he did: Raise your hand if you had Bodie holding down a spot in the lineup when the team broke up for the summer? Didn't think so. After making stops in Stockton, Hamilton, Springfield (Mass.) and Des Moines, Bodie was continuing his minor-league tour through San Antonio and Toronto -- where he had a combined eight goals and five assists in 32 games -- until he was recalled on Dec. 28. The affable 6-foot-4, 214-pound wing immediately looked to impressed his teammates and the coaching staff by taking on Chicago's Byfuglien and Detroit's Doug Janik in consecutive games. Over time, Bodie began to show that he was more than a pugilist as he settled into a checking role on either the third or fourth lines. His brightest moment came on March 21 against Colorado when he stripped Chris Stewart of the puck and beat Craig Anderson with a sparkling shorthanded goal.

contin

http://articles.ocregister.com/2010-06-14/sports/24560523_1_troy-bodie-minor-league-tour-ducks

By Liz Brownstein

Troy Bodie was placed on waivers, and less than four hours later the strong right wing was claimed by the Carolina Hurricanes, forcing him to hang up the Ducks jersey for now at least.

To avoid sugarcoating anything, I feel like this was a complete waste of a solid player, Bodie would have been a reasonable piece of trade bait, like it was rumored last year, and instead, GM Bob Murray essentially gives him away

However, Bodie has been a solid force on any line he found himself on, whether it be the third line, the fourth line, or the penalty killing unit. He never hesitated to sacrifice his body to benefit the goalie he protects, and thus was a powerful asset to the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/519760-troy-bodie-lost-to-waivers-while-cam-fowler-here-to-stay