The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

voteSKINNER.com

Ha, saw the same thing. I did laugh because I expected as much. But hey, the Canes made the online commercials pumping up Chad, so what can you say. As far as the goalie chant, that's often the highlight of my night at the RBC. Idiots.

Voting updates will be released tomorrow and with Cam now 6th in the league for save percentage, lets get him some more votes...and of course don't forget Jeff Skinner.

Here's a question:

I know the Canes fans are somewhat divided when it comes to write in forward vote between LaRose and Skinner but you would think all those same people adding in the write in vote would also vote for Staal. So why aren't his numbers higher? If you add all the votes for Skinner, LaRose and even the 15,000+ for Jussi, Staal should be higher, unless folks are only taking the time to write in a name and not cast another forward vote? Makes no sense to me. When I vote, I vote for all the Canes on the ballot and write in Skinner so all the write in votes that Skinner gets from me also go to the players already on the ballot.

Same thing applies to Cam Ward and Joni Pitkanen, unless folks are just not voting for them.

A good number of our fanbase think both Pits and Staal are lazy and would be spiteful enough to not vote for them.

I got opinions on that thought process but it's not a thread for a war on that.

We also have a metric ton of "player fans" rather then canes fans. Defined as people who really don't care how the Canes are doing as long as their favorite player is looking sexy and on the top two lines. Oh wait that's puckbunnies...

A good number of our fanbase think both Pits and Staal are lazy and would be spiteful enough to not vote for them.

I got opinions on that thought process but it's not a thread for a war on that.

We also have a metric ton of "player fans" rather then canes fans. Defined as people who really don't care how the Canes are doing as long as their favorite player is looking sexy and on the top two lines. Oh wait that's puckbunnies...

But how to you feel about it... :grin:

The Man Love around here for certain players, whether they are still on the team or not, is certainly entertaining though.

Ya as Legend and Coastal have pointed out this LaRose thing makes no sense this year.

Chad is no longer the plucky underdog type guy that everyone can smile at his making the team for his grit. He's been on our first line for crying out loud. I really like LaRose's never quit style and character, but this year his making the team just doesn't feel right as an inside joke and he is miles from All Star numbers and would take a spot from a legit All Star.

We have two absolutely legit All Stars: Staal and Ward. We should absolutely be voting them in. Based on play if WARD doesn't get in it would be a tragedy. After that, the next best options would be Skinner or Jussi. Jussi is putting up decent numbers now and did have the 30 goals last year. Skinner would be the suprise, out of the box pick. Skinner can legitimately put up the skills of an All Star.

LaRose? The marketing department must still view him in that role he was in a few years back when this might have made sense almost as a joke. If he actually got in this year nobody would be laughing but his agent.

Ya as Legend and Coastal have pointed out this LaRose thing makes no sense this year.

Chad is no longer the plucky underdog type guy that everyone can smile at his making the team for his grit. He's been on our first line for crying out loud. I really like LaRose's never quit style and character, but this year his making the team just doesn't feel right as an inside joke and he is miles from All Star numbers and would take a spot from a legit All Star.

We have two absolutely legit All Stars: Staal and Ward. We should absolutely be voting them in. Based on play if WARD doesn't get in it would be a tragedy. After that, the next best options would be Skinner or Jussi. Jussi is putting up decent numbers now and did have the 30 goals last year. Skinner would be the suprise, out of the box pick. Skinner can legitimately put up the skills of an All Star.

LaRose? The marketing department must still view him in that role he was in a few years back when this might have made sense almost as a joke. If he actually got in this year nobody would be laughing but his agent.

Yep, pretty much sums it up. I would add I think Pitkanen would be the third deserving member for the Canes. But, that's just me. As far as rookie voting, Skinner's proved he should be part of at least one of the events.

Canes fans are slacking, at least Cam is 8th among Goalies :( We can do better than this for our players, can't we?

As of 12/14

Forwards

Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh 319,809

Jonathan Toews Chicago 196,792

Steven Stamkos Tampa Bay 191,265

Alex Ovechkin Washington 168,684

Evgeni Malkin Pittsburgh 159,119

Patrick Kane Chicago 152,859

Mike Richards Philadelphia 151,354

Michael Cammalleri Montreal 150,544

*Claude Giroux Philadelphia 147,993

Pavel Datsyuk Detroit 138,204

Danny Briere Philadelphia 132,826

Tomas Plekanec Montreal 131,799

Marian Hossa Chicago 125,905

Brian Gionta Montreal 113,307

Henrik Zetterberg Detroit 110,060

Johan Franzen Detroit 82,550

Eric Staal Carolina 81,130

Jeff Carter Philadelphia 80,336

Nicklas Backstrom Washington 71,404

*Sean Avery NY Rangers 64,450

*Alexander Semin Washington 62,611

*Patrick Sharp Chicago 61,711

Henrik Sedin Vancouver 52,974

Daniel Sedin Vancouver 48,354

*Chad LaRose Carolina 43,900

Marian Gaborik NY Rangers 42,275

Phil Kessel Toronto 39,069

Anze Kopitar Los Angeles 38,593

Martin St Louis Tampa Bay 36,274

Joe Thornton San Jose 35,904

*Jeff Skinner Carolina 34,406

*Jussi Jokinen Carolina 15,571

Defensemen

*Kris LetangPittsburgh210,807

Chris ProngerPhiladelphia194,602

Duncan KeithChicago188,744

Nicklas LidstromDetroit187,818

Kimmo TimonenPhiladelphia156,461

*P.K. SubbanMontreal127,112

Brent SeabrookChicago126,394

Drew DoughtyLos Angeles115,928

Mike GreenWashington108,092

Brian RafalskiDetroit97,601

Dustin ByfuglienAtlanta95,632

Paul MartinPittsburgh79,762

Zdeno CharaBoston78,132

Marc StaalNY Rangers64,079

Andrei MarkovMontreal56,630

Dan BoyleSan Jose52,167

Shea WeberNashville45,334

Joni PitkanenCarolina44,760

Brian CampbellChicago43,703

Dion PhaneufToronto39,510

Sergei GoncharOttawa39,342

*Tim GleasonCarolina31,147

*Joe Corvo Carolina 8,602

Goaltenders

*Carey Price Montreal 209,025

*Sergei Bobrovsky Philadelphia 169,680

Marc-Andre Fleury Pittsburgh 152,264

Tim Thomas Boston 101,391

Jaroslav Halak St. Louis 94,213

*Jimmy Howard Detroit 84,137

Ryan Miller Buffalo 71,954

Cam Ward Carolina 57,495

I think that's why the color yellow makes me sad

You know what makes me sad? You you jack wagon!

Do you need a tissue???? Cry Baby..... :thumbsup::on_topic:

As Canes fans, we need to get behind our Top Vote getters.

As of today:

Staal is 17th among Forwards with 94085 Votes :rockon:

Ward is 8th among Goalies with 64669 Votes (He's getting beat by TWO write-ins!) :rockon:

Pitkanen is 19th among Defensemen with 50091 Votes :rockon:

Edited by hopper915

Assuming the LaRose thing is coming from the TV spots with him and Staal, perhaps the Hurricanes should make some TV spots with Ward and ________ (Pits,Jussi, Skinner: pick one and get behind him and Ward).

Also, the LaRose thing is fairly interesting. Something is going on there. Scan down that list of forwards. The who's who of the leagues top forwards. You get to the Sedins then Chad LaRose, then Gaborik and more stars. The point is that the really isn't another Chad LaRose in there (OK, the mighty city of NY has put up "his annoyingness" Avery), but LaRose really stands out on that list.

I have been writing in Skinner and Gleason, so my vote goes Staal, Skinner, Datsyuk then Gleason and Pitts, then Ward. I know its slightly homeristic, but I don't care. Skinner is keeping up with the big boys so I think he should make it. Gleason because he is a good D-man that is underrated. As you were.

I've been voting for Staal, Cole, Skinner, Pitkanen, Gleason and Ward.

Right now, Staal has 104,596, ranked 18th among forwards, Pitkanen, ranked 18th among defenseman @ 54,773 and Ward is still 8th @ 71,000.

Folks - Chad LaRose has now moved ahead of Eric Staal in All Star votes. Now, I love Chad ... but really people... VOTE!

Cam Ward is in 8th among the goalies with 2 write - ins (Bobrovsky and Price) miles ahead of him... Our fabulous Wardo needs to be in the All Star Game in Raleigh!! So, again I say: VOTE!

I just put in 15 votes (you can vote up to 30 times a day) for our 'Canes.

Folks - Chad LaRose has now moved ahead of Eric Staal in All Star votes. Now, I love Chad ... but really people... VOTE!

Cam Ward is in 8th among the goalies with 2 write - ins (Bobrovsky and Price) miles ahead of him... Our fabulous Wardo needs to be in the All Star Game in Raleigh!! So, again I say: VOTE!

I just put in 15 votes (you can vote up to 30 times a day) for our 'Canes.

Where can you see up to date all star vote result??

Go to nhl.com and select "VOTE FOR ALL STARS", then choose "VIEW THE LEADERBOARD"!

BTW, the latest rankings shows LaRose (118176) has PASSED Staal(114438)!!!! :facepalm:

Need to Vote for WARD!

Edited by hopper915

Canes fans are slacking, at least Cam is 8th among Goalies :( We can do better than this for our players, can't we?

Sheesh, you ain't kidding. :hairpull: The other goalies have the votes they do because their fans have voted for them. Cam is one of the best, if not THE best, in the NHL right now. What is the Caniac Nation waiting for? It would be not only a shame, but pretty embarrassing if he doesn't make it in due to his own fans not bothering to vote.

TSA - just a suggestion, but is there any way we can get a thread started aimed specifically at this voting that's taking place at http://vote.nhl.com, providing a direct link to it, as well as the info Canes fans need to know to get our guys in? I realize a lot of this info is in this voteSKINNER.com thread, but the thread title can be misleading to those who just want overall info about where to go, what to do, etc. (in respect to this voting.)

Thanks! :thumbsup:

SERIOUSLY!!.. don't feel like doing a new topic on it- but can ANYONE THAT VOTES FOR CHAD- BUT NOT STAAL OR WARD explain the 'why" to me????

Since have to fill out the ballot to vote, why are you voting for chad ,but not staal or ward.. Just makes us look like dumb hicks that don't know hockey-that actually think chad is more deserving than the only 2 'real all-stars" on the team.

Its just IMo so embaraasing to see this!.. i get if someone want to vote for chad and get him some props, but please explain why not ALSO vote for staal or ward- and because chad ahead, know alot of people vote for staal and ward and not chad.. so alot of teh chad votes have to be leaving the other 2 off and that's insane to me.

SERIOUSLY!!.. don't feel like doing a new topic on it- but can ANYONE THAT VOTES FOR CHAD- BUT NOT STAAL OR WARD explain the 'why" to me????

Since have to fill out the ballot to vote, why are you voting for chad ,but not staal or ward.. Just makes us look like dumb hicks that don't know hockey-that actually think chad is more deserving than the only 2 'real all-stars" on the team.

Its just IMo so embaraasing to see this!.. i get if someone want to vote for chad and get him some props, but please explain why not ALSO vote for staal or ward- and because chad ahead, know alot of people vote for staal and ward and not chad.. so alot of teh chad votes have to be leaving the other 2 off and that's insane to me.

I can't say for sure since I haven't done it, but I don't think that voting via text requires you to vote for all the positions. I think you can just text the one player's name and that's all you need. Since Chad's in the top 5 or so in text votes, that might somewhat explain this phenomenon. But still, there are people out there voting for Chad and leaving off Staal/Ward. That's just not right...

It may not be a matter of starting a whole new thread, since most of the info is already in this one, but just changing the title of this thread (and possibly some of the content in the first post) to make it more generic and applicable to all the Canes players we're trying to get folk to vote for/write-in. ("All Star Voting")

I don't know why our team's own fans are not voting for their own players - it's all kinds of wrong that Cam is in last place for goalie. (And that's not just because we're hosting the event.) Maybe by changing the name of this thread to give this All Star Voting more exposure, it might make the info easier for more folk to find the information they need to do the right thing. :thumbsup:

Edited by DianeNC

If I understand it right the NHL is only going to guarantee spots to the top 6 vote getters. Since those spots will almost assuredly go to legit All Stars, it kind of makes the voting a waste. So, it is highly unlikely that LaRose will end up in the All Star game. It is kind of odd though. I do wonder who is doing this voting. Could it be out of towners trying to mess with us? Are there really enough votes in Raleigh to do something like this even if we wanted to?

Ward still hopeful for All-Star appearance

RALEIGH -- Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Cam Ward has kept an eye on the fan balloting for the 2011 NHL All-Star game at the RBC Center.

The biggest surprise, Ward said, is not that he's eighth in votes so far among the goalies, Ward said.

"I see Chad LaRose is doing really well," he said Friday, smiling.

LaRose, a write-in candidate at forward, has 3,000 more votes than Canes captain Eric Staal. Online voting for the Jan. 30 game ends Monday.

Adding a comic touch to the unexpected voting totals is the All-Star Game commercial shot by Staal and LaRose a few months ago. Staal lifts a sign that says "Rosey is Rad! Vote for Chad," expecting LaRose to then put in a nice plug for him. Instead, a grinning LaRose raises a sign that says "Rosey is Riveting! Vote Chad LaRose 2011 All-Star Game."

"He might have to win an Oscar for that," Ward said of LaRose.

While the players enjoy teasing each other about it, Ward does want to be a part of this All-Star Game, in his home arena. He's very serious about that.

"It's a goal of mine, but I'm not going to let myself get too wrapped up in it," he said. "Obviously, I'm not going to be voted in by the fans, but we'll see what happens."

There are those who say Ward should not be left out given his play and what he has meant to the Hurricanes this season. In his last 16 games, Ward has a 1.88 goals-against average and a .945 save percentage.

"I've seen him play a long time, but I've never seen him play better," Canes coach Paul Maurice said. "He has made the somewhat difficult saves look routine while making the great saves we expect of him."

Through Thursday's games, Ward was second in the NHL to Anaheim Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller in saves (943) - while playing three fewer games - and was tied for third in save percentage (.927). Ward also was 6-3-1 in December, shutting out the Ottawa Senators 4-0 with 37 saves on Wednesday.

"The important thing is we were able to get some wins this month," Ward said. "My focus has been on giving our team a chance to win every night that I play. Fortunately, things have gone a lot better this month, and hopefully we can continue it going into January."

To play in the All-Star Game, Ward must be chosen by NHL Hockey Operations to be included in the new "Fantasy Draft." The fans select three forwards, two defensemen and a goaltender, and a Hockey Operations panel adds 36 players to fill out the All-Star draft pool. Each NHL team is assured of having at least one All-Star representative.

"There's no doubt our two best players have been Eric and Cam, and they deserve the opportunity to play in the All-Star Game," Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said. "I'm going to give as strong a recommendation as I can to the league. They may not read it, but we certainly hope to have both in the game."

Ward, 26, incorporated Pilates into some strenuous offseason workouts. Added flexibility, he said, has thus far prevented the back problems that hindered him last season.

"Knock on wood, this is probably the best I have felt in a long, long time," Ward said. "But I realize I have to keep doing what I'm doing and continue to play well and feel good about it."

When I read this quote from Cam, it really bothered me...should not be this way. :shakeshead:

"Obviously, I'm not going to be voted in by the fans, but we'll see what happens."

Cam Ward and Eric Staal have been named to the All Star game. Jeff Skinner has been named as one of 12 rookies to participate in the super skills competition.

Jussi finished with 23,604 votes :)

Chad LaRose finished with 168,597 votes :o bet he lets Staal know he beat him everyday :lol: