The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

O'Sullivan on waivers

I hope not too. He's only played, what, 4 or 5 games with limited minutes. Unless there's more to the story (and there may be) I don't think he's been given an honest shot to show what he has. I was at the Nashville game, and while he didn't produce, he and the 4th line did a good job while they were out there on the ice. If someone does pick him up, I hope he gets a solid chance.

Good. He had his chance in the last two games to show he wanted to be an NHLer. Yeah, he had limited minutes on the 4th line, but he showed little effort or drive or desire to do 'whatever it takes' to be in the NHL. When given a shot on the 4th line, he should have been doing everything he could to bring energy, skating hard, forechecking, anything. Instead, he floated around and almost looked like he was pouting since he had to play with the likes of Matsumoto and Tlusty.

There are kids in Charlotte who would kill for the opportunity he’s been given. It’s a sad story and his father should be taken out behind the woodshed and worked over good for what he did. But I think his days in the NHL are over.

He’s got a two-way deal, so maybe someone starved for offense takes a flyer and lifts him off our hands. I hope so anyway. For his sake and ours. I’d rather see a forechecking Bodie on the 4th line than a floating O’Sullivan. And I wouldn't mind one bit of a St Louis or Calgary or someone snatched him up and he became a staple on their 2nd line. That isn't going to happen here for whatever reason.

I think I’d like to see us send Matsumoto down and call up Boychuk. It’d be nice to see if his time in Charlotte has improved his game. Let him play on the 3rd and drop Dwyer down to center the 4th with Tlusty and Bodie.

I guess I have to trust the coach/GM here. The guy has more skill than at least 2/3 of the team, but apparently he didn't show what the coach wanted to see. After the year he had last year I can see not wanting to take a chance if he wasn't going to give 110%.

On the other hand, he never really got a full on chance to showcase his skills. 5-7 minutes a night on the 4th line is not going to get it done. That is not a full on chance. The only thing would be if he clear waivers, goes down to Charlotte, gets on the top line and starts lighting things up. If he's claimed on waivers it will be interesting to see what he does with his new team.

Disappointing. It would have been nice to let him have a short run on a higher line just to see what he could do. I still think he can do a lot.

100% agree with you, remkin. At least give 1 or 2 games on the 2nd or first line.. If nothing else giving him time on higher lines would raise his stock for the trade deadline.. but what do i know?

Maybe it would be good for him to clear waivers and at least get some ice time in Charlotte, I don't really think he fit anywhere on our current roster. If he goes down gets ice time, goals and proves he isn't a defensive liability then he could be called back up when needed.

I think this move is more disappointing than upsetting. I was pulling for O'Sullivan because of his history and North Carolina connection. Although he wasn't given the best chance to make the team he was a given a chance. I didn't think he played that poorly but he really didn't make the most of the chance either. With all the wingers we have a move was inevitable and it probable won't be the last. If he is picked up on waivers I hope he goes to a team that can take advantage of his game style. If he doesn't clear and goes to Charlotte he will get another chance to prove his worth.

:yawn:

There's simply no room for him here right now. No injuries, regular players at or above their potential. He's not a 4th line guy (as has been stated a billion times), and there's no one that should be moved from our top 9 right now.

It's pretty obvious (see contract terms) he was signed as a plan B option, and we just haven't needed him. Hope he makes it to Charlotte (I suspect he will), but if not, we have enough depth not to miss him.

The Canes are simply moving in a different direction and he isn't in the plan. Most thought the team would be starved for scoring, and O'Sullivan would have a place here. That hasn't been the case thus far.

I really hoped he would perform and be a part of the Canes for years. It simply didn't happen. I know he's not a 4th line player, where that line needs lots of energy for their limited minutes. Instead he lagged the play badly when getting back defensively when given a chance. Sorry, but you've got to show far more determination given what we have in Charlotte. I notice Matsumoto out there, and certainly Dwyer, but Sully is invisible and therefore expendable unless he plays in Charlotte and is available if needed.

Right now Tlusty needs to improve his game, too. I bet if he didn't have a one way contract he'd be in Charlotte and others would get a look-see. Given that circumstance, Sully needed to be waived if we're ever going to see Samson or Boychuk, etc.

Agree with everyone who said he was a Plan B insurance option with questions coming into camp about the current groups ability to score. Scoring hasn't been a problem, rendering him expendable. There's just no room for him to be successful here.

I wish him luck, but no big loss.

Whatever the reasons for this action, I am very sorry for Sully for the way things worked out. I have followed his story for years; it's sad. I'm sure his degenerate father is laughing now. No one, except maybe himself, wanted things to work for him in Carolina more than I did. I hope he returns and is successful.

Edited by g105

Don't forget guys, if he passes waivers he is still in NC, playing for a NC team :thumbsup:

Yes, making his AHL salary, @ $150,000. The Canes would likely be happy with that as well, but I don't think he fits into our long-term plans.

Yes, making his AHL salary, @ $150,000. The Canes would likely be happy with that as well, but I don't think he fits into our long-term plans.

I agree. If he clears waivers a trade is more likely. JR in Canes Now

Edited by OBXer

Good. He had his chance in the last two games to show he wanted to be an NHLer. Yeah, he had limited minutes on the 4th line, but he showed little effort or drive or desire to do 'whatever it takes' to be in the NHL. When given a shot on the 4th line, he should have been doing everything he could to bring energy, skating hard, forechecking, anything. Instead, he floated around and almost looked like he was pouting since he had to play with the likes of Matsumoto and Tlusty.

There are kids in Charlotte who would kill for the opportunity he’s been given. It’s a sad story and his father should be taken out behind the woodshed and worked over good for what he did. But I think his days in the NHL are over.

He’s got a two-way deal, so maybe someone starved for offense takes a flyer and lifts him off our hands. I hope so anyway. For his sake and ours. I’d rather see a forechecking Bodie on the 4th line than a floating O’Sullivan. And I wouldn't mind one bit of a St Louis or Calgary or someone snatched him up and he became a staple on their 2nd line. That isn't going to happen here for whatever reason.

I think I’d like to see us send Matsumoto down and call up Boychuk. It’d be nice to see if his time in Charlotte has improved his game. Let him play on the 3rd and drop Dwyer down to center the 4th with Tlusty and Bodie.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would management/coaching demote Dwyer, who is one of the hardest working, if not the hardest working Cane so far this season, to bring up Boychuk who has proved nothing at the NHL level?

Even if JR trades Sully, it'll be for a minor-league player, JR may save a very small amount of cash by moving him. The way I see it, the team will need Sully when someone inevitably gets injured.

I don't see a trade happening where O'Sullivan is the only one moved. He's just not worth it. Sully will end up in Charlotte, because it's better for him to get first line AHL minutes than fourth line NHL minutes.

Tough Situation for all sides. As has been mentioned, Sillivan acquired for top 2-3 line duty in case of an injury, which the canes the last few years have always had- so of course get the 'insurance", and we don't have a need. And at this point, either send him to charlotte to at least get some skating/time in and bring him back if get the injury... which in hockey will happen unfort.

I'm going to think selfishly on this one and hope that O'Sully clears waivers today so he can stay in Charlotte. Its probably in his best interest to be claimed by another team that needs a top 9 guy so he can get play time and the chance to decide his own fate, but he was signed here for insurance and at some point we're going to have an injury in the top lines and we'll need someone who can score. Who would have ever guessed that guys like Dwyer, LaRose and Skinner would have the seasons they're having or that we haven't had the typical injury plagued season yet? (Glad there haven't been any calls for Pete Freisen's head this season, he really is one of the best out there)

Its pretty useless to have him stay here and be the healthy scratch or get 5 minutes on the 4th line so I'd rather see him tearing it up in Charlotte and be ready to jump right in when the inevitable injury hits. Whatever happens to him, I hope he finds success.

Well I would rather have Bodie out there wrecking shop than O'sullivan shyign away from physical contact. We lack voerall team toughness.

Very true and exactly why its a waste to have O'Sully playing 4th line duty for both the team and O'Sully.

Its pretty useless to have him stay here and be the healthy scratch or get 5 minutes on the 4th line so I'd rather see him tearing it up in Charlotte and be ready to jump right in when the inevitable injury hits. Whatever happens to him, I hope he finds success.

Agreed - I hope he makes it there, but McKenzie @ TSN mentioned some teams sniffing around for him so who knows (hmm, he'd almost be a veteran for NYI). I suspect the notion of a trade just came about as a response to a reporter's question and to indicate that JR would let him go rather than hold him in the AHL. I really can't imagine why a team would think to trade for him when they could have had him on waivers and we are in no position to take back salary. Best of luck to him wherever he lands.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would management/coaching demote Dwyer, who is one of the hardest working, if not the hardest working Cane so far this season, ....

Could you please explain how you came to that opinion?

And as far as Boychuk or anyone else being called up to replace Sully, I highly doubt it. Not only has JR already made it clear that he just wants 12 forwards on the Canes' roster but it wouldn't make any business sense either, considering his money constraints. With Sully in Charlotte, JR saves about $5k a game whether Sully plays or not, and Boychuk earns twice as much as Sully on the NHL level.

In general the Canes want everyone on the team to buy into the physical, get back on defense style, so in that sense perhaps Sully doesn't fit in, since he is a high end fine tuned offensive machine but a very non-physical guy. That's one argument I've read and it has some validity.

But then I think, nonsense. We've always had room for a couple of guys that provide mainly offense. One Raymond Whitney comes immediately to mind. Everyone loves Raymond! Except that he was a tiny guy who not only barely hit anyone, but was a significantly negative +/- guy at -97 for his NHL career. While O'Sullivan was definitely not a scrapper, in what little time he did play he forchecked well and got in passing lanes pretty well.

There are guys whose game can flourish on the 4th line and who also can develop into scorers (though there aren't that many), but these are the scrappers, guys like LaRose. But for every LaRose there are far more 4th liners who are always 4th liners and either make a career there or get replaced by other scrappers. Think of all the guys who have played on our 4th line over the years. A guy like O'Sullivan will never look good on the 4th line any more than he'd look good on the blueline, and more than Whitney would have looked good on the 4th line.

I agree that in the end the problem for Sully is that he didn't catch a break. There were quite a few ways he could have gotten a shot on the top 6 or at least top 9 but none of them happened. One would have been the inevitable injury that has hit every year but this one. Another would be that either Cole or Sammy came out flat. Another would be that Dwyer or LaRose didn't do much. Or Skinner wasn't the phenom he turned out to be. Or even Jussi, who started in a funk, didn't find his game. But none of those things happened, and so the top 9 is currently in lock down there is no one to move out.

I happen to think that if OSullivan had gotten a shot in the top 6, he'd be part of all that scoring, and his lack of physicality would not be much of an issue. I happen to think that we'd be talking about that amazing draft pick and that amazing pick up off the scrap heap that are lighting the lamp regularly. But it will either not be or have to wait.

There is no question that the Canes are FAR better off with OSullivan down in Charlotte than any kind of pissant compensation they'll get if he is picked up. He can go down and light up the minors until we need another scorer. It may actually do him some good also. If he is claimed, it will be kind of a waste. Right now, no news is good news.

I happen to think that if OSullivan had gotten a shot in the top 6, he'd be part of all that scoring, and his lack of physicality would not be much of an issue. I happen to think that we'd be talking about that amazing draft pick and that amazing pick up off the scrap heap that are lighting the lamp regularly. But it will either not be or have to wait.

There is no question that the Canes are FAR better off with OSullivan down in Charlotte than any kind of pissant compensation they'll get if he is picked up. He can go down and light up the minors until we need another scorer. It may actually do him some good also. If he is claimed, it will be kind of a waste. Right now, no news is good news.

I agree 100%, Remkin.

As bad as it seems for the fans, I'm sure O'Sullivan is thinking and feeling worse. But I would also hope that he can see his way clear to go down to Charlotte and bust his rump and prove to the Canes that he belongs in the NHL. Maybe he'll go down and light it up, work on the other aspects of the game and knock the rust off, he can't do that on the 4th line here in Raleigh. Then when the time comes and we have an injury, JR hopefully will call him up and he'll make the best of it.

Unless there is a team out there in desperate need for a cheap top 9 forward, I think it's more likely Sully getting claimed on re-entry waivers because a new team would only be responsible for half his salary. The only other option JR has would be to trade Sully to get some compensation and not risk a re-entry waiver.