The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ichigo-0

Winter Weather Ahead!

Hey, for us, this is big. People up north are probably laughing at us, but since we hardly ever get snow down here, this is the big time.

I'll admit, it always amazes me too (I grew up in the north). But honestly, things down here shut down because that's the only way to try to keep people safe. I know that this is a blanket statement, but enough people/drivers here don't give snow and ice enough respect when on the roads so the gov't and news have to make a big deal out of it. If everyone realized that you CAN'T go the posted speedlimit and that your 4WD or AWD DOESN'T actually help, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

My favorite example is from a couple of years ago when WRAL set up their camera on Duraleigh road near a sharp curve and just watched car after car drop right into the small ditch while it was snowing. When they asked one of the women who wrecked (but was not injured) she said...and this is priceless..."Well, since the police didn't close the road I figured it was safe to go the speed limit." Genius. :wink:

Hey, for us, this is big. People up north are probably laughing at us, but since we hardly ever get snow down here, this is the big time.

I'll admit, it always amazes me too (I grew up in the north). But honestly, things down here shut down because that's the only way to try to keep people safe. I know that this is a blanket statement, but enough people/drivers here don't give snow and ice enough respect when on the roads so the gov't and news have to make a big deal out of it. If everyone realized that you CAN'T go the posted speedlimit and that your 4WD or AWD DOESN'T actually help, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

My favorite example is from a couple of years ago when WRAL set up their camera on Duraleigh road near a sharp curve and just watched car after car drop right into the small ditch while it was snowing. When they asked one of the women who wrecked (but was not injured) she said...and this is priceless..."Well, since the police didn't close the road I figured it was safe to go the speed limit." Genius. :wink:

Yep, agreed. As a generalization, people here can't drive worth crap in the snow. Just ask the dude that tried to take the corner off capital right out side my office at full speed, slid sideways into the curb, then flipped up the hill and back down. :roll:

Hmph... Boone got screwed. We got an inch that fell and melted in less than 6 hours. There's a little on the ground, but no more than was there last night. I'm not sure that even counts as a snowstorm.

And no, we didn't get out of classes.

Hey' date=' for us, this is big. People up north are probably laughing at us, but since we hardly ever get snow down here, this is the big time.[/quote']

You'd be right! :lol:

Quoted from today's forecast where I live:

Text Forecast from Environment Canada

Winnipeg: Issued 4.00 PM CST Thursday 1 February 2007

Tonight

Increasing cloudiness. A few flurries beginning this evening. Wind west 20 km/h becoming light overnight. Low -13. Wind chill -34.6.

Friday

Clearing early in the morning. Wind becoming north 20 km/h late in the morning. High -5.8. Wind chill -31.

Friday night

Increasing cloudiness in the evening. Wind north 20 km/h becoming light in the evening. Low -29.2. Wind chill -38.2.

Temperatures converted to Fahrenheit for y'all...

We currently have about 4 feet of snow on the ground, which has been here since November, and will probably stay until late March.

The temperature forecast above is considered a reasonably normal January day here. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, WIND CHILL is an approximation of how cold it actually feels like due to the wind.

I have seen many days where the temperature has hit a bone-chilling -40 BEFORE including the wind chill factor.

What's my point?

Well, I was in NC in October on a golf trip this year, and I have to say that I would take your weather and scenery in a heartbeat... :cry:

Let's see... Golf game cancelled due to light snow, or "exposed skin will freeze in 2 minutes" (not kidding, actual quotes from radio weather broadcasts)

tough choice! :wink: