The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Canes Acquire Ryan Carter From Ducks

Ryan Carter to Canes

Canes get center Ryan Carter from the Ducks in exchange for Stefan Chaput and Matt Kennedy. Rutherford gets another fourth liner "who can move into the top-9", LOL. But, digging deeper, the guy is around 50% in the faceoff circle and can kill penalties. Hmmmm.

Why didn't they just claim the guy off of waivers? Oh well, I guess Chaput\Kennedy were salary dumps to fit into el-cheapo and free up a spot for Matsumoto in Charlotte.

Interesting.

Beat me to it. I thought moving O'Sully was to end the revolving door problem with Charlotte... but hey, sounds like we finally replaced Yelle and we get another Quacker (and this one has a shiny ring)!

We all seemed to think JR's moves were sound, even though we questioned them (at the time). But I'm beginning to think he has totally lost it. Just what we need; ANOTHER fourth liner, given that we are so short of them. Or have too many.

I for one won't question JR's sanity... A couple of areas improve. Size, 6'-2" & 200#. Faceoffs above 50%. They move two guys in Charlotte to make room for somebody to go down while freeing up the money to pay Carter. The Ducks have been a pretty physical team and with the pick up of Carter and Bodie that will hopefully make a difference for the Canes. We need somebody willing to get in there and be a deterrent to those wanting to take liberties... And maybe these moves are all it takes.

Looks like we're finally putting some 4th-liners on the 4th line. I like this approach, I didn't really care for the approach where we were filling out the line with struggling skill guys, or guys who could/should/may eventually break the top nine. With the type of minutes 4th-liners get around here it isn't really enough for skill guys to get something going, or get a promotion. Looks like we've got a couple of big physical anchors on the 4th-line who can do a couple things well.

My guess why not waivers is because we already took Bodie that way. Don't want to take too many of a GM's players without giving something back, even if you could. Can't think of any other explanation.

It is an interesting move. Sounds like JR is tired of seeing our guys get pushed around and decided to bulk up the back end. Carter sounds like little more than that, though the PK was mentioned and ours has been woeful lately. The strange thing is this means we are out of openings on our roster for forwards to move up from Charlotte. I am guessing Matsumoto will be on the way back to Charlotte tomorrow.

The big question now is has JR locked in his top 12 and decided to let what happens in Charlotte stay in Charlotte (barring injury), or does he have another move up his sleeve for Tlusty or someone in our top 9 to open up another hole? Hmmmm... :huh:

The big question now is has JR locked in his top 12 and decided to let what happens in Charlotte stay in Charlotte (barring injury), or does he have another move up his sleeve for Tlusty or someone in our top 9 to open up another hole? Hmmmm... :huh:

I was wondering the same thing...

Well if he can win us faceoffs and can help on the PK's, then I'm for it. Chaput & Kennedy have struggled this season (just 4 assists combined), and probably needed a change of scenery.

My guess why not waivers is because we already took Bodie that way. Don't want to take too many of a GM's players without giving something back, even if you could. Can't think of any other explanation.

It is an interesting move. Sounds like JR is tired of seeing our guys get pushed around and decided to bulk up the back end. Carter sounds like little more than that, though the PK was mentioned and ours has been woeful lately. The strange thing is this means we are out of openings on our roster for forwards to move up from Charlotte. I am guessing Matsumoto will be on the way back to Charlotte tomorrow.

I'm willing to bet he's not quite done yet.

It appears Chaput and Kennedy weren't going to be more than AHL'rs. No big loss there. Didn't JR make a statement a week or so ago basically stating he was in the process of deciding what the fourth line would look like? I guess he decided.

It also appears pretty clear to me the guys that now come in from Charlotte will be the guys they have slotted into the top-9. In the interim, I like the logic and the move. Size, faceoff skills, PK'r, true fourth line guy, Cup ring.

What's not to like?

I'm willing to bet he's not quite done yet.

Interesting thought. If Tlusty is moved that first round pick for Paradis will look like do-do. It all ready smells that way. They've got Sutter sitting there. Yep, you may be on to something. But a top-9 move, I dunno. Mo seems pretty committed to these lines, and we're scoring.

From Paul's TTS Blog:

Carolina currently ranks 28th in penalty killing with a 73.3 percent success rate and last in faceoff percentage at 39.9 percent. This season, Carter has won 50.3 percent of his draws, making him the instant leader among full-time centers in the Hurricanes’ clubhouse.

Full Blog Post

I find this move curious. Not bad and maybe good .I guess I will just have to wait and see. He does improve our face off percentage, he has skated with Bodie, he could help our PK and he is big enough to be a tough guy. With the trade he fits our budget.He is another free agent so at the end of the year I guess it give us some flexibility. I think JR has glimpsed a playoff spot with this team and wants to give us a chance while not losing site of rebuilding for the future. I'm just not sure if he fits. We aren't done yet, IMO.

Looks like we're finally putting some 4th-liners on the 4th line. I like this approach, I didn't really care for the approach where we were filling out the line with struggling skill guys, or guys who could/should/may eventually break the top nine. With the type of minutes 4th-liners get around here it isn't really enough for skill guys to get something going, or get a promotion. Looks like we've got a couple of big physical anchors on the 4th-line who can do a couple things well.

Totally agree...now Tlusty is the only guy on the 4th line that isn't a 4th line player. It's a waste of money/skill to have Sully and Tlusty on the 4th line. Sully got claimed, what's in store for Tlusty? I doubt his trade value is very high since he's been on the 4th line. Does Tlusty have to clear waivers to be sent to Charlotte? I like the move, two for one deals free up a roster spot. Who else from The Ducks can JR trade for or claim off waivers? We can have an Anaheim Line.

I like this move. We will now have Bodie and Carter on the 4th line. Two guys that will play a physical game. We are now going to be able to punish teams physically. This is what we were lacking guys. I think we are going to see a different kind of team in the comming weeks. I am always happy to see nice hits along the boards!

Totally agree...now Tlusty is the only guy on the 4th line that isn't a 4th line player. It's a waste of money/skill to have Sully and Tlusty on the 4th line. Sully got claimed, what's in store for Tlusty? I doubt his trade value is very high since he's been on the 4th line. Does Tlusty have to clear waivers to be sent to Charlotte? I like the move, two for one deals free up a roster spot. Who else from The Ducks can JR trade for or claim off waivers? We can have an Anaheim Line.

I agree, Tlusty should be waived or in Charlotte. He's been invisible. He's not been good enough to crack the fourth line consistently, and has been a healthy scratch. No way this guy sniffs top-9 unless the bottom falls out or everyone else is in the hospital. That Paradis pick still sticks in my craw.

Hey, and now fourth line minutes might jump up to 10 or so. That has got to help.

Give Samson a shot at the 4th line. he is tenacious along the boards and adds a tiny bit of size. I'de also like to see Osala crack the lineup. Bodie and osala on the 4th line would be 2 monsters lol.

I'm not going to read into this Carter aquisition too much. The most obvious reason for JR to pick up Carter seems to be his FO% and ability to play on the PK. Add both together, and our PKers are almost assured a 15-20% improvement in clearing the puck out of our zone and not getting hemmed in and scored on as much as we are now.

That said, I'm a little sceptical of Carter's true "value" to the club. Adding (another) 4th liner who can bring some FO and PK ablity, has decent size and appears to be hard working is one thing, but according to Ducks fans he is also prone to noticable bonehead decisions which apparently got him placed on waivers/re-entry waivers three times in the past 6 months . . . and not claimed I might add. Also, I think we shouldn't confuse size with grit and talent. Carter is a 4th liner and unless Mo throws Skinner out on the PK or wants to make a statement using Carter's great fighting skills (sarc), I highly doubt that he'll share any ice time with Skinner.

As far as trading for him instead of picking him up on waivers, I think JR was just all business. If he had picked up Carter on waivers, he'd still have to pay the salaries and bonuses for two under performing career AHLers in Charlotte. This way, he got what he thought the Canes needed and what the Checkers didn't need.

Individual mileages may vary.

JR is cleaning up around the edges. This is his specialty. Changing up the 4th line and adding a #4/5 defenseman. JR has always wanted a big physical 4th line. The cheapest way to get that is to pick these guys up on waivers and with ultra low end trades.

But in doing so, he is also addressing some pressing issues. We were soft in our own end on defense and ultimately Babs was a guy JR was aching to move for the last 2 years. Enter White. So far, looks pretty good.

Other weaknesses: obviously face offs, powerplay, penalty kill, lack of bone fide top line, ease that teams pin us in our own end, small team without much physicality.

FaceOffs: The most important faceoffs are clearly those in either zone, especially on the power play/PK. I would point out that if Carter is 50% and taking a lot of shorthanded draws, he is better than average, because shorthanded draws are harder to win.

The PK/faceoffs/physicality are addressed with these two pick ups and cheaply and perhaps some with White as well.

The top line issue (and to some extent powerplay) are going to be expensive to fix thoroughly. OSullivan may have been an answer there, but we will never know now. I think losing OSullivan was a busted chance, but probably Mo was never going to be comfortable with him.

In general I like the idea of the trades/pick ups. Adding White/Brodie/Carter gives us better PK, instantly more size and grit and some glove dropping ability.

That 12th winger on the 4th line however, now has about 1% chance of scoring. Thus Tlusty on that line make little sense other than keeping someone ready in case of injury. However, we have a bevy of wingers still in the system for that. Trading Tlusty would be giving up on him for little return. Ideally he could be sent down.

I totally agree with Samson up on the 4th line. That would be a very functional 4th line that could grind and cycle and check and hit.

If JR is not done, he could still move someone in the top 9. But who? Sammy may have some trade value. Cole may also. Ultimately the remaining need now is a top line winger, or a 3rd line center allowing Ruutu to move to wing. A 3rd line center who can win draws would be the cheapest move. Cullen anyone? grin.gif Wouldn't he look good right about now? Back to reality.

What we need is a seriously talented top line winger. That would break the bank at this point. (Though maybe as a rental at the deadline if we're still in the picture). Since Dalpe/Nash/Matsumoto don't seem quite ready for prime time, the cheapest easiest fix would be a third line center who has some offensive potential and can win the heck out of faceoffs. Then move Sutter back up, and Ruutu back to wing. Such a move would require the trade of say Sammy with or without Tlusty, for a center in the last year of his deal (so the deal is equal and we can move Nash/Dalpe up next year). Not sure if he makes either of these moves though. If he doesn't then Tlusty either learns to like the 4th line, or gets sent down.

I would not be surprised if JR is done for a while. Clearly the coach didn't think the top 9 needed help or had room for Sully, so why would there be room for Tlusty? But Tlusty can't have much trade value now. If we sent him down, would he be claimed?

Anyway, I like the White/4th line moves to bulk us up, and help the back end. Coin flip as to more serious moves.

Both Osala and Samson are lighting it up. I sya give one of them a chance.. That would make an interesting gritty 4th line assuming Osala wants to play physical and sue his size to his advantage.

Let's see what Carter does before making any further plans. He may find himself following in the steps of another Carter we picked up a couple of years ago - back on waivers.

The transaction was a good one for JR to shed players and $$$ vs an outright claim of Carter. He can still waive him, and keep the Charlotte rotation possibilities.