The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Manwolf

Checkers at RBC?

Was watching PENS game on CI and saw a commercial for a doubleheader at CONSOL Energy Center where Hershey (AHL) is playing Wilkes-Barre.

Wouldn't it be great to have the Checkers play a game or two in Raleigh? It certainly would give the coaches a first-hand look at their prospects (beyond reports they get). I also think it would motivate the Checkers players for those games to show their stuff.

Question is, would it draw? I think so, but what do you think? Has it ever been considered? Maybe the Admins can get our responses to the club and make this a reality for next season, or at least pre-season.

The Canes won't even play a pre-season game in Charlotte. While I do agree that it seems like a good idea, I don't see it happening.

I doubt the Canes were willing to give up anymore preseason revenue this year than they already were losing by playing in Finland and then making one game free, The idea of bringing the Checkers here for a double header is interesting, I bet they would at least consider it as long as the costs to play the game aren't higher than the minimal revenue it would generate. If they piggy back to a Canes game, the building/concessions costs wouldn't be as high as if it was its own game.

If there's a decent amount of interest shown here, we'd be happy to pass it along to the front office. Its a great idea and the more the Checkers and the Canes can tap into each other's market is better for the growth of hockey in the state.

That would be a great idea, especially in a long span without Canes hockey like last week and this week... we have to wait until Friday to see them play again. If I was still in Burlington, I'd definitely come to Raleigh to see the Checkers!

I'm not just talking about this year....so using the European excuse doesn't really amount to much.

In 10 years, the Canes have never held a preseason game in Charlotte or any other Carolina city. I think it would be HUGE to have them play all around the two states to drum up more interest. They could play in Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Charlotte, Winston, etc. They never have. Back long before the NHL came to Carolina, I watched several NHL preseason games in Greensboro. They seemed to have on in Charlotte or Greensboro just about every other year. The Caps, Sabres, Kings, etc played preseason games in NC.

I'm not just talking about this year....so using the European excuse doesn't really amount to much.

In 10 years, the Canes have never held a preseason game in Charlotte or any other Carolina city. I think it would be HUGE to have them play all around the two states to drum up more interest. They could play in Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Charlotte, Winston, etc. They never have. Back long before the NHL came to Carolina, I watched several NHL preseason games in Greensboro. They seemed to have on in Charlotte or Greensboro just about every other year. The Caps, Sabres, Kings, etc played preseason games in NC.

My bad, I wasn't trying to make excuses and obviously missed the main point of your post. One reason the Canes may not have branched out throughout the state(s) is because they've spent all their time and marketing dollars building and developing a solid fan base here in the Triangle the whole time. Not saying its a good or bad thing but because this team has followed up successful years with poor or mediocre performances, its been challenging to draw the newer fans in and maintain the older ones consistently. If the team could string together a few good seasons in a row, I bet you'd see the organization branch out a little further around the area. As always with a small market, $ will always be the biggest factor and they'll spend their marketing budget where they think they'd reap the best rewards.

Then again, I'd be happy if they could at least string a few wins together. :(

Having a preseason game in Charolette with Atlanta would be a good marketing move; but one must remember the Canes aren't that great at marketing. I would we willing to ride a bus to Greensboro to catch a Checkers' game

I think it would be great, at least to have a double header. I guess one problem would be that it would take away from Charlotte's revenue... but maybe they would get a cut. Maybe in return the canes play a pre-season game or two down there.

There are already some fans who drive an hour or two each home game to see the Canes play. So it's not fair to assume that all people at the RBC Center are just from the Triangle. The Canes have fans all over the Carolinas. I don't expect fans in Charlotte or Columbia to buy season tickets, but a fan is a fan, and the Canes can use all the fans they can get.

I've just never understood their refusal to play a single pre-season game elsewhere.

In 10 years, the Canes have never held a preseason game in Charlotte or any other Carolina city....

Maybe that can change, but it likely won't start with the NHL club, but perhaps with the AHL club playing a game in Raleigh. Who knows where that can go, and I like what the Pens are doing for their fans.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again and I see it's been said but let me have a shot too, It would be great for the Canes to play preseason games in Greensboro and Charlotte, along with Greenville, Columbia(if they ever get their arena situation figured out) and Charleston. One that I think would make sense is a Caps-Canes preseason game in Charleston. Why? Well the Stingrays are the ECHL team for the Caps and to state the obvious, Charleston is a part of "Carolina". Plus, Charleston has a big military population with people from all over the country, including long time Hockey markets.

Then maybe have a Thrashers-Canes game at either the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville or (god-willing the people that run this building ever let hockey be played here) the Colonial Life Center in Columbia. IMO, the Canes really need to reach out to SC more to show the sports fans there that the franchise does represent them as well. It may not work as well as Raleigh, but as TBK said, we need all the fans we can get esp. with so many northern transplants moving here by the dozen. Starting by playing a preseason game in SC would at least catch a few fans-for-life, you know the old slogan "You'll know when you go".

Now about the Checkers playing at the RBC, I mean it could happen. You could get a Checkers-Admirals game there. But I think it is more important for the Canes to grab opportunities from the rest of the Carolina's. With the Panthers and Bobcats struggling, this is a great year for the Canes to try and get that "winning" factor back to Carolina sports, even if it's just a #8 seed in the playoffs, we all know how awesome we are at playoff hockey.

And one more thing, with Jeff Skinner having a tremendous rookie season so far, this is a great year to get people to watch him play. Tampa Bay did something with Steve Stamkos during his rookie year called "Seen Stamkos?". Basically a marketing ploy to show Tampa residents that they have a star player in the making.

Let's not forget Fayetteville....thousands of transplants (even if temporary) from all over the country and the world..they have an arena and a minor league team already. A little more exposure might bring more of them to Raleigh on a regular basis.

Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't play at least two "away" home preseason games each season. Other teams do it.

Other teams have played pre-season games in NC...like I said, I've been to them!

Just looked it up. The Kings were scheduled to play in Charlotte in 1991 but the game was canceled due to bad ice conditions. Over the last 20 years, the LA KIngs have played preseason games in Portland, Bakersfield, Oakland, Seattle, Houston, Dallas (pre Stars), Miami, St Pete (all pre-expansion), Fresno, Madison Wi, etc. Much of this was due to having Gretzky, but it's a good example.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?bcid=22849

Edited by TheBigKahuna

A HOCKEY DOUBLEHEADER. Now that would be fun.

Just to be clear, the doubleheader is an AHL team and some other game, not the Canes (though that would be great). I'm referring to my original post about the Pens commercial. I think it was Wilkes-Barre vs Hershey, and some other game - but at the CONSOL Energy Center.

This time of year for the Holiday break is best. It could be 2 colleges, a couple of top local teams, or Cops ve Fire for the prelim and then the Checkers. It wouldn't matter to me.

Edited by Manwolf

I'd suggest to die hard Caniacs finding a 3pm Sunday game and heading down to the TW Arena in Charlotte for a Checkers game. We were a little disappointed with the turn out but there was a Panthers game going on at the same time which may have kept some fans away, but all in all it was a fun evening of hockey seeing the Checkers beat the Bears and having the opportunity to skate with the Checkers after the game. Kind of like Skate with the Canes but for free and you had much more ice time. ONe thing I can say is that the RBC Center is way nicer than the TW Arena, and that although the downtown venue is nice, I'll take the RBC and the ability to tailgate any day over a downtown venue.

Heck with having a preseason game in Charlotte, they ought to schedule a regular season game there. After all, it is the Carolina Hurricanes, not the Raleigh Hurricanes. With 41 regular season home games, you'd think the boost in fan interest from another part of the state(s) would be worth the potential revenue loss. And make it a game that means something, not a bogus preseason game.

If they can have a regular season game in Finland, why not have a regular season game in Charlotte? Move one of the Buffaslug games there so it we have to put up with their obnoxious fans once.

I think they should bring the Checkers to the RBC for a game & the Canes to the Cablebox for a game. It's only fair. Here in Charlotte we're lucky to see the Canes future stars & the fans in Raleigh should be able to experience the same thing. As for the Canes playing at TWCA, I heard the Canes are going to be scheduled to play a preseason game down here. I hope it's true!

I just went out to Charlotte to see the Checkers play on Sunday. It was a good game (we won 4-2). I will say that driving out there (3 hours) and back (3 hours) in one day was a little much for a hockey game. But it was a Christmas present for the kids, as they were very excited to have our AHL team in the same state. And of course with so many of the Checkers having played at the NHL level last year, it was fun to see a lot of familiar faces.

I very much like the idea of the Canes playing preseason games in other parts of the state(s) as a promotional tool. Even if a fan never comes to the RBC Center from SC, you could be convincing him/her to watch the games on TV and possibly spend $$$ on paraphernalia.

I think having the Checkers play a double-header with the Canes would be fantastic. That's a lot of hockey, though. Will 15k+ fans sit through 5+ hours of hockey? Not sure. And I agree that splitting up the revenues would be something they would need to address. Another possibility would be to have the Checkers play the night before a Canes game at the RBC Center. Similar to the Canes needing to play games around the state to drum up interest, having the Checkers play here might convince others in the Triangle area to drive 3 hours to a game in Charlotte (at least as a Christmas present). :-)