The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
BigMiike

All-Star Weekend Info, Articles and Activities

Still waiting to see if the choosing of sides will be open to the public. From TSA's post above:

"Details on fan access to the NHL All-Star Player Fantasy Draft at NHL Fan Fair will be announced in the coming weeks."

There's only three weeks until the ASG weekend.

Information???

Dean bettman has placed raleigh on double secret probation, so unless you know Neidenmayer, you will not be given information before the parade, er uh mean all star game!

Eric Staal talks All-Star Game, facing brother Marc

Wednesday, 01.05.2011 / 1:54 PM / 2011 NHL All-Star Game - Presented by Discover By Dave Lozo - NHL.com Staff Writer

NEW YORK -- It's not official just yet, but it's very likely Carolina Hurricanes captain Eric Staal will be playing in the 2011 All-Star Game presented by Discover on Jan. 30.

He's tied for seventh in NHL goals with 18 and ranks in the top 20 in scoring with 38 points in 38 games. Throw in the fact that the All-Star Game will be played at the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C., and there's a better than average chance that not only will he be in the pool of 36 players chosen next Tuesday to join the six players selected by fans, but he could be one of the captains who will take part in the All-Star fantasy draft.

Staal received the 18th-most votes among forwards -- 142,634. It's an impressive total, but it's about 20,000 less votes than teammate Chad LaRose, who was a write-in candidate with 7 goals and 8 assists in 38 games.

2011 ALL-STAR GAME

Staal and the Hurricanes will invade Madison Square Garden to face the New York Rangers and younger brother Marc Staal on Wednesday night. Carolina is four points behind eighth place Montreal and six points back of the seventh-place Rangers.

Staal talked to the media Wednesday morning about the All-Star Game, who he'd take between one of his brothers and teammate Cam Ward, and just how LaRose got so many more votes than him.

Q: Four Penguins and two Blackhawks were voted in by the fans. Where were the Carolina Hurricane fans stuffing the ballot box for you?

Staal: Sometimes that's just the way it goes. They're big markets. They've got some good players. You can't go wrong with any of those names.

Q: Would playing in an All-Star Game in front of your fans be a big deal for you?

Staal: No question. I've been to a few All-Star Games where the home player gets a pretty good ovation. It would be a pretty neat experience for me personally to enjoy it with our fans and my family. I hope to be there and enjoy it with them.

Q: Would you want to be one of the captains who chooses sides for the game?

Staal: (Laughing) I wouldn't be against it. Obviously, no one really knows what to expect since they've never done it before. Whether that's the case or not, I'm going to enjoy the experience and the weekend together with family and also with guys I've competed with on a regular basis because that's what it's about.

Q: If you're are an All-Star captain and it happened to come down to choosing either Cam Ward or Marc Staal, who would you take?

Staal: (Laughing) Cam Ward, for sure. Marc Staal would be real near the bottom if he's in there, for sure. He'd be a first-timer so he'd be at the end, for sure.

Q: Has Chad LaRose reminded you he received more votes than you?

Staal: No, he hasn't reminded me. I think he was that good of an actor in those little commercials that we did. That was the difference for him.

Q: And he did it as a write-in guy.

Staal: That's very impressive. He must've done a phenomenal job in those ad campaigns to get himself to where he is. He's a good guy. He hasn't said anything yet. He's ahead of some pretty big names. It's pretty cool.

staal_eric_canes_grabovski_mikhail_leafs_prepare_for_faceoff_325x183.jpg

Q: Jeff Skinner will likely be a part of the festivities. How much has he improved from the start of the season?

Staal: You can see the skill level, the compete level right away when he came in at training camp. It was just about adjusting. He's grown as the year's gone on and continued to work every practice and gotten better every game. You can see he's not only going to be a good player, he's going to be an elite player in this League. He's showing that already at 18.

Q: Does going up against Marc still feel like a big deal to you or have you done it so many times that it doesn't matter anymore?

Staal: It's still special. It's still an added an element, especially for me being here. I'll play against him most of the night. It's in his building and he matches up against me and all the tough centers. I'll be seeing a lot of him. He's a tough guy to play against. I got to make sure that I'm being physical on him and making it difficult on him because he plays a lot of minutes, a lot of situations. But it's fun every time I play him. We have good battles and love to compete against each other, and both hate to lose. We'll see what happens.

Q: Did you catch any of Jordan's season debut at the Winter Classic?

Staal: I saw a little bit of the highlights. I talked to my parents. They were there watching. It was a pretty neat story. He's had an extremely difficult last eight months. For him to be able to come back and it being that game it happened to be, he played well from what I heard. For someone that was off the ice for as long as he has, it's quite impressive. He's a big piece of that team and he's definitely going to help that lineup that's already doing pretty good already this year. He's excited to be back in the lineup and I'm happy for him.

All Star mock draft

Steve Yzerman on the All Star format

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but since it's related to the All Star Weekend, figured this was as good a place as any.

Found the following job opportunities for different "gigs" at the All Star Weekend over on Craigslist for those that might be interested in actually being a part of the festivities:

NHL All Star Game Help Needed

Emcee Wanted for NHL Fan Fare and All Star Game

Female Promotional Models Needed for NHL All-Star Weekend

Event Staff Needed, $15/hr

Big week for the All Star game:

Tuesday: Jerseys revealed and the rest of the players announced

Wednesday: Fantasy Draft update

Jerseys released:( WRAL video)

NHL yields to shield for All-Star logo

974-nhljerseys0111_G0824EIMJ.1+2011%20NHL%20All-Star%20jersey_blue.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg161606-jersey2-300x225.jpg

Without team names to build on, Reebok went simple for the NHL All-Star jerseys.

The NHL All-Star game in Raleigh Jan. 30 is a departure from games in years past in many ways, including the jerseys revealed Tuesday morning.

The NHL tries to incorporate the major colors of most teams in its All-Star jersey, said Doug Warf senior director of marketing for the host Carolina Hurricanes.

In the past, the teams have been representative of each conference or even of players born in the United States versus those born elsewhere. But this year, the two teams won't have names until the captains choose them.

Six All-Stars were voted into the game by the fans. Forwards Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews and Evgeni Malkin; defensemen Kris Letang and Duncan Keith; and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury are guaranteed spots in the 42-player pool. Another 36 players will be named Tuesday morning.

The Canes are hoping to see multiple players selected to the team. "We'll have our fingers crossed during the morning skate," Warf said.

Forwards Chad LaRose, Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner, defensemen Joni Pitkanen and Tim Gleason and goalie Cam Ward were all among the top vote-getters selected by the fans.

The 42 All-Stars will nominate two captains and four alternates from their number, and those players will then draft their peers onto two teams in the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft Jan. 28. The draft will be televised live on TSN and VERSUS from NHL Fan Fair at the Raleigh Convention Center.

161605-jerseys-180x135.jpgplay.pnghttp://www.wralsport.../story/8918206/

The uncertainty of the draft presented a challenge to Reebok designers, who opted for the simplicity of the NHL shield on the home white and road blue jerseys. The fit of the sweater is sleeker and smoother, Warf said.

"It is an experiment by Reebok," he said. "The players will see if it feels better, if it wicks away moisture better."

Jerseys went on sale Tuesday at The Eye stores at the RBC Center, Raleigh Convention Center and Crabtree Valley Mall.

From Puckdaddy.com:

Pass or Fail: The 2011 NHL All-Star Game jerseys

By Sean Leahy

Back in November, sports gear site Uniwatch revealed details about this year's NHL All-Star Game jerseys, including the interesting twist that multiple numbers could be appear on the same team (see: No. 12's Eric Staal(notes), Jarome Iginla(notes))

Today, hours before the NHL reveals the remaining 36 players and 12 rookies to round out the All-Star Game player pool, we get a look at what the players will be wearing on the ice via the Charlotte Observer and Icethetics:

ept_sports_nhl_experts-268773705-1294755991.jpg?ymXyfYEDAF3xrIxt

Three immediate reactions: 1) Thank you for not including any piping 2) No navy blue or black? Thank you again! 3) Reebok really loves its stripes.

According to a Reebok spokesman, the stripes "reflect the new NHL" and the company wanted a "more aggressive design".

What puzzles us is that the smaller number on the front of the jersey will be centered above the NHL logo. With the smaller NHL logo on the collar, putting a smaller number underneath would make the area look a bit crowded and makes us wonder why the it just couldn't go on the upper right side, opposite of where the captains' 'C' goes.

As we've mentioned before, what will be interesting is monitoring the sales of customized All-Star jerseys. We won't know which players are on what team until the night of Friday, Jan. 28, after the Fantasy Draft. The jerseys will sell like crazy during All-Star Weekend in Carolina, but merchandisers in every other NHL market will be working overtime to print up accurate ones to reflect how the Draft goes. But will anyone take a chance and risk a Jersey Foul by getting a customized jersey before then?

We'll see, so until then ...

Pass or Fail: The 2011 NHL All-Star Game jerseys

Previous 2 player duo's we've sent to the ASG...random fun fact. Wish I could have counted Skinner

Irbe and Primeau in 99

Staal and Williams in 07

Can't order Staal, Skinner or Ward All Star jerseys with their names on them without knowing which jersey they will be wearing.

You would think the draft would have been much earlier to boost jersey sales. I guess they thought the big draft party Fri at the convention center being broadcast live by Versus would make up some of the revenue lost in early jersey sales.

Some "free" publicity for local restaurants and props to the fans here in Raleigh from Kevin Weekes:

Kevin Weeke's recommendations

Got to see the All Star jersey's tonight and I thought they looked much better in person. The material is the same stuff the black third jerseys are made of and they're tagged at $125 if anyone was wondering.

Still kind of tough to pick a color not knowing which one our players will be wearing.

I haven't seen anything about the ASG draft yet, but will pass on to you what I gleaned at the game last night. According to a Canes' staffer, it appears that the live audience for the choosing of sides will be limited to a few hundred folks. Of course, it'll be broadcast for all to watch, but apparently there won't be an audience of thousands in attendance. Don't take this to the bank, but that's what I was told by an insider.

More info for all the weekend activities:

http://www.nhlallstarwideopen.com/

NHL Fan Fair

January 28-30, 2011

Raleigh Convention Center 1-fan-fair-logo.jpg Public Hours:

Friday, January 28: 3:00pm - 10:00pm

Saturday, January 29: 10:00am - 7:00pm

Sunday, January 30: 10:00am - 3:00pm

NHL Fan Fair offers hockey fans the chance to participate in and experience the excitement of the NHL All-Star Game at more than 30 interactive attractions and exhibits. You can enjoy this hockey theme park over the course of three days during NHL All-Star Weekend at the Raleigh Convention Center in downtown Raleigh. So join us for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity where you can:

* Meet NHL Alumni

* Check out the NHL Trophy Display presented by Discover

* Take a Picture with the Stanley Cup

* Test your Hockey Skills in the Honda NHL SuperSkills Zone

* Play the latest NHL 2K Sports Hockey Video Game

* Create Your Own Hockey Trading Card presented by Upper Deck

* Collect Rare Hockey Memorabilia

* Visit the McDonald's Kids Zone designed for Young Hockey Fans

* Trade current and vintage Hockey Pins in our official Pin Trading Area

* Visit the Time Warner Cable Sports Step Thru the Screen Experience

* Test your Accuracy in the Bridgestone Shoot Out Challenge

* Try on your favorite NHL Player's Equipment in the Reebok Locker Room Display

NHL All-Star WIDE OPEN Street Festival

The NHL's elite athletes are the centerpiece of the weekend. But almost every corner of downtown Raleigh and the RBC Center will be pulsing with incredible things to do, fantastic live music and countless ways to show that you're an All-Star, too.

icemen-cometh.jpg The NHL All-Star Wide Open Street Festival is three days overflowing with fun, great music, interactive surprises, incredible food and chances to interact and experience the NHL up close. From mouthwatering barbeque to foot-stomping live music, all your senses will be in delirious overdrive! Just step into a world of ice carvings, acrobatics, street hockey competitions, ice slides and, of course, heated tents for when you want a break from the frozen fun.

EVENT HIGHLITES

• hl-3-door-down.gif
    3 Doors Down Free Concerts
    The NHL's biggest weekend deserves one of the biggest names in rock. With four #1 singles, world tours and over six million album sold, this band certainly fits the bill.
  • hl-flying-aces.gif
    Flying Aces Performance Area
    Winter and summer Olympians, World Champions, and top-ranked acrobatic athletes perform their skills in a trampoline show.
  • hl-t-stage.gif
    T Stage
    Fashion Shows, Mascots on Parade, Dance Performances, Eating Contests and more will make for wall-to-wall fun the entire weekend!
  • hl-snow-my-yard.gif
    Snow My Yard & Inflatable NHL Enforcers
    A manmade wintry snow mix lets kids of all ages sled down a hill into the inflated arms of NHL hockey 'enforcers.'

2011 NHL All-Star Game Information

Once a year, the NHL's greatest athletes come together to face off against their peers. That means, for 60 minutes, only the very best of the sport will take the ice. And every jersey will display the name of a potential Hall of Famer. It's an incredible way to honor hockey's history, its future and, most of all, its fans.

NHL All-Star 5K Presented by visitRaleigh

all-star-5k.gifOn Saturday, Jan. 29, the Carolina Hurricanes and the NHL will team up for the NHL All-Star 5K presented by visitRaleigh. The spectator-friendly event will start and finish at the RBC Center, site of the Honda SuperSkills and All-Star Game festivities. The race begins at 9 a.m. and is open to runners and walkers of all ages and abilities and will benefit the Carolina Hurricanes' Kids 'N Community Foundation. To register, or for more information, visit www.ncraces.com.

Saturday Skills Challenge

super-skills.gifThe Honda NHL SuperSkills will begin at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday

all-star-logo.gif

58th NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover at RBC Center

The 58th NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover at RBC Center. Live television coverage of both nights will be provided by VERSUS in the U.S. and CBC and RDS in Canada. The 2011 NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover will start at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday.

You would think the draft would have been much earlier to boost jersey sales. I guess they thought the big draft party Fri at the convention center being broadcast live by Versus would make up some of the revenue lost in early jersey sales.

I too wish they would have picked the teams earlier. I guess people AT the game can get whatever color their player plays for right after. Sucks for those of us who maybe cant be there. (although im optimistic)

Something else I just read about the ASG Jerseys I'm not sure about:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=549108

Each jersey will feature a total of eight stars, including two on the front crest to represent the two participating teams in the All-Star Game. Player uniform numbers will appear on the back, sleeve and above the front crest for increased player identification. Each jersey will feature two shoulder patches – the player's home team logo and the All-Star Game logo.

So, there will be a small number just above the point of the NHL Shield on the front of the jersey. :huh:

Edited by hopper915

Got notice a few minutes ago that STHers can buy more tickets that were just released.

I checked and noticed that the open row in front of us that ticketing has held hostage all year (and forced many of us STHers up rows) is where they are available.

So, let me put aside my bitterness about being forced up rows and say this:

If you want more tickets, and you are an STHer, get them now! Log onto your account manager and go to the buy link. These are GOOD SEATS in the upper level. Very good, very low rows (at least as of 2 minutes ago). They've been held back all year with the hope of new STHers coming on line. Finally, the day has come to release them. I'd rather have a rabid Caniac fan or friend of fan in those seats than some random corporate fan.

Edited by wxray1

I am a STL who bought ASG tix and haven't gotten any notice like that as yet. I did, however, learn that to see the Fantasy Draft we'll need yet ANOTHER ticket as apparently getting a ticket to let you into the fan fair on Friday where it is being held will not get you into the fantasy draft. So we're going on our third set of tickets to purchase to see all the events offered during all-star weekend.

IMO, the whole buy one more ticket schtick is getting old fast. I would've rather just paid another 10, 20, 50, whatever up front than this continual go online and get a ticket to another event and pay a bunch of ticketmaster fees over and over again.

L

Got notice a few minutes ago that STHers can buy more tickets that were just released.

I checked and noticed that the open row in front of us that ticketing has held hostage all year (and forced many of us STHers up rows) is where they are available.

So, let me put aside my bitterness about being forced up rows and say this:

If you want more tickets, and you are an STHer, get them now! Log onto your account manager and go to the buy link. These are GOOD SEATS in the upper level. Very good, very low rows (at least as of 2 minutes ago). They've been held back all year with the hope of new STHers coming on line. Finally, the day has come to release them. I'd rather have a rabid Caniac fan or friend of fan in those seats than some random corporate fan.

So who else is running the 5k? You don't have to be a runner, you can walk it too.

ASG11_5k_VisitRal.png

RBC Center, Raleigh, NC

Saturday, January 29, 2011

9:00 AM

Presented by

visitRaleigh-logo-white-text.png

Click here to register for this Race!

Click here for a downloadable

and printable Brochure/Application.

Click here for the Race Course Map.

"All Registered All Star 5K runners are eligible for a drawing for 2 tickets to the NHL All Star Game on Sunday, January 30 (one winner) and for 2 tickets to the Skills Contest on Saturday, January 29th.

Drawing will take place immediately before the 5K and you must be present to win."

I haven't seen anything about the ASG draft yet, but will pass on to you what I gleaned at the game last night. According to a Canes' staffer, it appears that the live audience for the choosing of sides will be limited to a few hundred folks. Of course, it'll be broadcast for all to watch, but apparently there won't be an audience of thousands in attendance. Don't take this to the bank, but that's what I was told by an insider.

Does anyone have any news on this front? I was planning on grabbing a Fan Fair ticket to see the draft after I get off of work, but I'm not going to go out of my way just to waste $10 + parking + gas only to find out there's no more room to see the draft.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere.

It is my pleasure to announce that the ADM Advanced players have been selected to participate in an ADM Demonstration on Sat Jan 29th, at the Reczone, beginning at 12:30pm. Players will arraive by 12:30, and will take the ice at 1:30pm. The demonstration will last approximately 70-80 minutes.

The ADM demonstration will be run by several USA Hockey Associates in conjunction with our own coaches. The event will be attend by such USA Hockey and NHL dignitaries as Gary Bettman, Bill Daley, and Brian Burke. There is a very good possibility that several of the rookie players will be there, as well as Pat Lafontaine, and Gordie Howe.

For RYHA to be able to showcase this group of players in this environment is a tremendous honor. Not only that, each player will be given an allstar jersey to wear for the event, which they will keep!

These are the U8 Advanced players where we have embraced the new ADM model this year and it's been very successful! Looking forward to this, my son will attend and is VERY excited.

Phil

Found this schedule of events, along with some limited information about tickets for the Fantasy Draft under the All Star Weekend link on the Hurricanes main site: All Star Weekend Schedule of Events

Edited to add: I also saw on the NHL All Star page that Jeff Skinner will be signing autographs at 4:00 on Friday at the Fan Fair.

allstar-1.jpg

Edited by TSA

Canes Promotions Updates

Fan Fair Events

NHL Trophies, special appearances among great attractions for fans at NHL Fan Fair

NEW YORK – The National Hockey League (NHL) and the Raleigh Convention Center will treat residents of the Triangle and visitors to Raleigh to the excitement of the 2011 NHL® All-Star Weekend with a full slate of fun activities and attractions at the three-day NHL Fan Fair™ fan festival. From Friday, Jan. 28 through Sunday, Jan. 30, fans of all ages will have no shortage of interactive games and experiences to choose from in the 150,000 square footage of space NHL Fan Fair will occupy in the Convention Center, including appearances from NHL All-Stars past and present, a display of 18 of hockey's most prized trophies including the Stanley Cup® and numerous contests and sweepstakes featuring prizes from vehicles to trips, and much more.

NHL Fan Fair Attractions

• Create your own personal hockey trading card presented by Upper Deck and meet NHL All-Star rookies Jeff Skinner on Friday at 4pm and Taylor Hall on Saturday at 2pm
  • Meet NHL alumni at the XM Theater
  • Check out the NHL Trophy Display presented by Discover
  • Take a picture with the Stanley Cup®
  • Test your hockey skills in the Honda NHL SuperSkills Zone®
  • Find out what you would look like driving a 2011 Honda CR-Z using a green screen
  • Play the latest NHL® 2K Sports hockey video game
  • Collect rare hockey memorabilia
  • Play floor hockey and meet Ronald McDonald in the McDonald's Kids Zone designed for young hockey fans
  • Meet the NHL Mascots
  • Trade current and vintage hockey pins in our official Pin Trading Area
  • Take a shot at being a sportscaster and show off your broadcasting skills at the Time Warner Cable Sports "Step Thru the Screen" Experience booth
  • Test your accuracy in the NHL Bridgestone Shoot-Out Challenge™
  • Visit the Panini booth to play their brand new game, Adrenalyn
  • Try on your favorite NHL player's equipment in the Reebok locker room display
  • Get together face-to-face with some of the NHL's all-time greats and test your knowledge of today's NHL teams at Cisco ūmi at the NHL Fan Cave™
  • Learn and interact with all 30 Guardian superheroes as part of Stan Lee and The Guardian Project™
  • Challenge U.S. Army drill sergeants in push-up and pull-up drills (Saturday & Sunday only)
  • Guess the Puck in the Geico booth for a chance to win a $500 gas card
  • Live DJ and dancers