The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
BigMiike

All-Star Weekend Info, Articles and Activities

2011 NHL All-Star Weekend Frequently Asked Questions

Friday, 01.14.2011 / 1:51 PM / 2011 NHL All-Star Game - Presented by Discover NHL.com

How do I get to the RBC Center?

I am bringing my young child to the game, will they need a ticket?

Will there be any festivities surrounding All-Star Weekend?

What time will the Honda NHL SuperSkills Competition and the NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover start?

How will players be selected for the 2011 NHL All-Star Weekend?

How can I watch the 2011 NHL All-Star Weekend at home?

What items are prohibited at RBC Center?

Is there a designated driver program for the 2011 NHL SuperSkills & 2011 NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover?

How do I get to the RBC Center?

The RBC Center is located at 1400 Edwards Mill Road, Raleigh, NC. It is conveniently located on the west side of Raleigh, a 15 minute drive from both downtown Raleigh and the Raleigh Durham International Airport just off the Raleigh Chapel-Hill Expressway. Please click here for more information.

I am bringing my young child to the game, will they need a ticket?

Yes, all patrons regardless of age need a ticket.

Will there be any festivities surrounding All-Star Weekend?

Yes, NHL Fan Fair will be held at the Raleigh Convention Center from January 28-30. NHL Fan Fair will offer hockey fans of all ages three fun-filled days of interactive games and attractions, special appearances, trophy and memorabilia displays, live TV and radio broadcasts, pin trading and trading card zones, music, food, official NHL All-Star merchandise and dozens of other dynamic activities. Tickets for NHL Fan Fair are available for purchase via Ticketmaster, the RBC Center box office, The Progress Energy Center for the Performing Arts, and 39 Harris Teeter locations throughout the Triangle area.

There will also be a NHL All-Star 5K taking place on Saturday, January 29 at 9:00am and a 100 yard kid’s dash at 10:30am at the RBC Center. Registration will be $25 prior to January 15, $30 between January 15 and January 28, and $35 on race day. Click here for registration or more information.

What time will the Honda NHL SuperSkills Competition and the NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover start?

The Honda NHL SuperSkills Competition takes place on Saturday, January 29 at 7:00pm and the NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover is on Sunday, January 30 at 4:00pm. Doors for each event will open an hour and a half prior to start time.

How will players be selected for the 2011 NHL All-Star Weekend?

From a group of 100 players on the ballot, fans voted for their top six All-Stars by position without regard to the Conference in which the player plays. Fans also had the ability to write-in a player of their choice.

The three forwards, two defensemen and one goalie who received the most votes were the first six to be named NHL All-Stars. The first six are Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang and Marc-Andre Fleury of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks.

As with previous All-Star games, the remaining 36 All-Stars will be named by the NHL Hockey Operations Department for a total of 42 All-Star players (3 goalies, 6 defensemen and 12 forwards per team).

Following the selection of All-Stars, NHL Hockey Operations will designate 12 NHL rookies to participate in the Honda NHL SuperSkills Competition on Saturday, January 29 for a total of 54 NHL players taking part in All-Star Weekend.

After the 42 NHL All-Stars have been selected, two captains will be chosen per team by the players.

On Friday, January 28, 2011 at 8:00PM, the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft powered by Cisco will be held at Fan Fair during which the captains will draft their teams from the remaining 52 All-Stars.

First selection in the draft will be determined by coin flip and selections will continue on an alternating basis.

Each team will be required to select three goalies, six defensemen and 12 forwards in any order they choose.

After the selection of the All-Star game rosters, the captains will select among the 12 rookies to fill out the rosters for the Honda NHL SuperSkills.

Each team will feature six rookies participating in various skills competitions.

Teams will participate in six different skills, including Bridgestone NHL Fastest Skater, BlackBerry NHL Breakaway Challenge, McDonald’s NHL Accuracy Shooting, G-Series NHL Challenge Relay, XM NHL Hardest shot and the Discover NHL Elimination Shootout.

How can I watch the 2011 NHL All-Star Weekend at home?

The Honda NHL SuperSkills Competition and NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover will be shown live on Versus in the United States and on CBC and RDS in Canada.

What items are prohibited at RBC Center?

The following items are prohibited at RBC Center: Bottles, Cans, Coolers, Liquid Containers, Alcoholic or Non-Alcoholic Beverages, Food, Fireworks, Illegal Substances, Chains, Studded Bracelets & Belts, Weapons of any kind, including firearms, Backpacks, Oversized bags, Laser Pointers, Aerosol Cans, Noise-making devices (i.e. horns, whistles, air horns, cymbals, bugles, etc.), Video & Audio Recording Devices, Camera bags, Cameras, Animals (with the exception of service animals)

Is there a designated driver program for the 2011 NHL SuperSkills & 2011 NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover?

The Good Sport Program is designed to encourage fans to drink responsibly while attending NHL events. The Good Sport Designated Driver Station is located with the RBC Center at section 127, across from the Guest Services. Guests wishing to participate in the program can sign up at the booth and receive a free drink and the opportunity to win a prize pack. Winners of the prize pack will be announced during each event and can be picked up at Guest Services.

RBC Bank and RYHA All-Star Activities

Raleigh Youth Hockey Association (RYHA) and RBC Bank are ecstatic about the upcoming opportunities during the All-Star weekend. The activities will kick off on Monday January 24th, during the Carolina Hurricanes game against Toronto when RBC Bank CEO Jim Westlake will present three checks to local youth hockey programs including RYHA. The continued support of RBC Bank follows the previous multi-year commitment to sponsor the RYHA House Program allowing more kids within the community to take up the sport of Hockey!

The bank, in conjunction with its corporate parent, RBC, has announced the Play Hockey Grants program, a commitment to distribute $1 million in grants with a maximum award of $25,000 for each selected applicant organization to encourage increased participation in the game of hockey across North America.

RBC Bank is the presenting sponsor of the NHL All-Star Wide Open, a three-day street party that includes an NHL Fan Fair, food, games, and music in downtown Raleigh, RBC Bank’s headquarters.

RBC Bank All-Star Weekend Activities

Autograph Station- Fayetteville street

Get free autographs from local athletes, celebrities, NHL players and other special guests while you enjoy live music, presented by RBC Bank

Warming Station – RBC Bank Lobby

Escape the winter weather with hot chocolate, coffee and cider while you get a caricature of yourself or have your face painted, compliments of RBC Bank

Music performances – Raleigh Amphitheater

Enjoy a series of free concerts starting Friday at 6pm, The Performing Assets, led by RBC Bank Chairman Jim Westlake and executives from RBC, will take to the stage at 7:15 pm followed by headliners 3 Doors Down at 8:30 pm.

NHL Fan Fair – Raleigh Convention Center

NHL Fan Fair offers hockey fans the chance to participate in and experience the excitement of the NHL All-Star Game at more than 30 interactive attractions and exhibits. You can enjoy this hockey theme park over the course of three days during NHL All-Star Weekend at the Raleigh Convention Center in downtown Raleigh.

RYHA Activities

Youth Hockey Skills Showcase – City Plaza Ice Rink

Members of RYHA will show of their athletic talents during this skills demonstration at City Plaza Ice Rink.

The events are scheduled for 6:00 pm on Friday 28th and 11:00 am on Saturday 29th.

Carolina’s Hockey Day

The Carolina Amateur Hockey Association joined with OneGoal, USA Hockey, Carolina Hurricanes and Charlotte Checkers to create an opportunity on January 29, 2011, for families to come to a local rink and Try Hockey for Free! This free trial has been created specifically for children ages 4-9 years old who are interested in trying hockey for the first time.

Wake Forest at 8:00 am

Triangle sportsplex at 1:00 pm

Reczone at 3:30 pm

Iceplex at 4:30 pm

ADM Advanced demonstration - Reczone

On Saturday January 29th at 12:30 pm at the Reczone the RYHA will be showcasing the ADM Advanced model. The ADM advanced demonstration will be run by several USA Hockey Associates in conjunction with our own coaches. The event will be attended by USA Hockey and NHL dignitaries.

McDonalds Starter of the Games

12 squirts from RYHA programs have been selected for the weekend to represent the organization during the NHL Super Skills and All-Star Game.

For comprehensive information RBC Bank All-star Wide open activities please visit www.nhlallstarwideopen.com

Does anyone have any news on this front? I was planning on grabbing a Fan Fair ticket to see the draft after I get off of work, but I'm not going to go out of my way just to waste $10 + parking + gas only to find out there's no more room to see the draft.

Now it looks like a random choice of attendees at Friday's Fan Fair. I already have Friday tickets, but wonder how many will be sold, etc. Of course I'd like to be there for the draft....

Laviolette returns to Raleigh as All-Star coach

By John Manasso - NHL.com Correspondent

Maybe's it's karma, but it might also be a case of being one of the best. With the Philadelphia Flyers having totaled the highest points percentage in the Eastern Conference as of Jan. 15, coach Peter Laviolette earned the right to coach in the NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 30 in Raleigh, N.C., the same city where he guided the Carolina Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup less than five years ago.

"Well, the All-Star Game should be a good weekend," said Laviolette, who spent five years in Raleigh. "Some of the best players are out there and you get to watch some fun hockey. It's different from what we do here -- without the stress. I have a lot of friends back there in Raleigh, so my family will go up. We'll enjoy it."

Since his first brief stint as a head coach with the New York Islanders in 2001-2002 and 2002-2003, when he ended the franchise's seven-year playoff drought with back-to-back postseason appearances, Laviolette has steadily climbed the ranks among the NHL coaching elite.

If the Cup win with the Hurricanes in 2006 was perceived cynically by some as perhaps fluky, as it occurred after the League took a season off and teams were adapting to new payroll restrictions and new rules interpretations, then Laviolette's accomplishments last season should put that notion to rest.

When Carolina won the Cup, the Hurricanes played Briere's Buffalo team in a seven-game Eastern Conference final series that was a war of attrition. Briere said he remembered Laviolette again pressing "all the buttons" with his line match-ups and goaltending, going between Martin Gerber and eventual Conn Smythe-winner Cam Ward.

Not the type to bask in the glow of such memories, Laviolette nonetheless looks forward to his return.

"It'll probably be more -– when you come in with the Flyers, you're covered with what you do," he said. "You're covered in a bus, you slide in the back door, you get to your locker room, you slide onto the ice and you see some friends along the way. I think an event where you're there for the weekend and there's more activity and more involvement with people around -- I'm sure I'll get to see more people and have some conversations with people I haven't seen in a while so that'll be different, I think, from when I'm with the Flyers."

He also thinks his family will enjoy the weekend.

"I have lots of friends there," he said. "We have friends, our kids have friends and it's hard, you know, when you're working and your kids are in school. There's not a lot of time for moving around and when we do, we usually go to Florida, so, but we still see some people."

Click here for entire article.

Edited by DianeNC

I'm a little confused about the ASG Wide Open - do we need separate tickets for each day? Or if we buy one $10 ticket, is it good for the entire weekend?

I'm a little confused about the ASG Wide Open - do we need separate tickets for each day? Or if we buy one $10 ticket, is it good for the entire weekend?

Tickets I bought were for a specific day, which I think is the case in general. The "Wide Open" is free, outdoors, etc. While the "Fan Fair" is indoors and costs at the Raleigh Convention center. If you're not from Raleigh, they're within walking distance of each other (downtown).

Edited by Manwolf

Courtesy of CanesCountry.com:

WARNING: Kids Under 2 Will Not Be Allowed at the ASG

Apparently, per unconfirmed information from a generally reliable source (they said they saw it announced somewhere), kids under 2 will not be allowed at the ASG or Skills Competition unless they have a separate ticket. This is different than the usual Hurricanes policy that allows kids under 2 to have free admission with a paying adult. I have consulted my ASG tickets, and they are silent on the matter. I also don't see anything on the Hurricanes website addressing this. I have also not heard anything official from the organization confirming or denying this (sent an e-mail, got no response yet). However, I wanted to warn anyone here who has an infant/toddler that they carry to Canes games that they might get turned away at the door, if they didn't purchase a separate (full price) ticket for the infant/toddler. So if you've got a tot you planned on carrying with you, you may want to make alternate plans for said tot if this is true. You may also want to e-mail your ticket rep to ask the ASG policy for infants/toddlers. I hope this isn't true, and I can take my little boy with me. If anyone has any contacts in the organization who can shed light on the matter, please post it here. If I receive an e-mail response, I will do the same. In any event, I just assumed the policy would be the same as any other game, and I don't want anyone to get turned away at the door for not knowing, if indeed this is true.

Turns out this appears to be true - per the All-Star Game FAQs on NHL.com, all patrons, regardless of age, need a ticket.

Just curious, can anyone tell me the face value for the ASG ticket and the Skill ticket? I just want to have an idea how badly I am getting stung by scalpers. Much appreciated.

City of Raleigh ready to rock All-Star Weekend

Friday, 01.21.2011 / 2:50 PM / 2011 NHL All-Star Game - Presented by Discover

By John Manasso - NHL.com Correspondent

RALEIGH, NC -- A fever pitch.

That's the way Doug Warf, the Carolina Hurricanes Senior Director of Marketing, described the anticipation among team employees and the city of Raleigh for the NHL All-Star Weekend once the calendar turned to January.

Much of that, he said, was spurred by team captain Eric Staal being voted one of the captains along with goalie Cam Ward being named to the team for the 2011 NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover, and rookie Jeff Skinner earning a spot in the Honda NHL SuperSkills competition.

The Hurricanes and the city's business community first started discussing the possibility of hosting the All-Star Game almost 10 years ago, said Scott Dupree, Vice President for Sports Marketing with the Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau and a co-chair of Raleigh's local organizing committee to host the game.

So in a very real sense, the game represents the culmination of a decade's worth of work and preparation and the city is doing its best to make the events memorable for the 40,000 to 50,000 visitors expected to attend.

"There's a clear sense that Raleigh's on the brink of something special," Dupree said. "We're really trying to make an impression and roll out the red carpet. This is a big deal for us."

Among the events is a two-day street festival, stretching seven city blocks, that will take place Friday from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Crowd estimates for what is being called NHL All-Star Wide Open top 50,000.

Each day will be headlined by a free concert at the Raleigh Amphitheater. The band "Three Doors Down" will play Friday and Saturday will feature up-and-coming country artist Chuck Wicks.

"It's great," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. "There are local people that have been working on it and setting up the special functions and they have done an outstanding job. Everybody's excited about it and we have a history of being good hosts here for different sports, everything from the U.S. Open to the NHL Draft to college basketball.

"The '04 Draft here was very successful. The building was full, the fans were excited. They made it an exciting day, an exciting week for people and people will appreciate the fact that the All-Star Game is hosted here."

The Research Triangle -- named after the neighboring cities of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill -- is known for its rich basketball history. In 2004 and 2008, Raleigh hosted rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tournament at the RBC Center, which is home to both the Hurricanes and the North Carolina State Wolfpack.

Part of the reason Raleigh had to wait so long to finally land the All-Star Weekend was that it did not have the infrastructure for an event of this scale. That changed starting in 2008, when three new hotels and the city's new convention center opened.

Three of the six hotels used for the event -- the Marriott City Center, the Renaissance North Hills and the Umstead Hotel and Spa, a five-star property in nearby Cary -- have opened within the past three years. The Raleigh Convention Center, which will host the NHL Fan Fair, and the Marriott City Center, which are connected, both opened in the fall of 2008. The convention center was built at a cost of $221 million.

"Those shortcomings have been addressed," said Dupree, who chaired the local organizing committee, along with Alison Barnwell of the Greater Raleigh Sports Council. "That tipped the scales and made it so Raleigh clearly would be able to host."

Being able to host the event also has helped the Hurricanes' bottom line. The franchise has made two trips to the Stanley Cup Final since 2002, winning in 2006, and a third trip to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2009, helping create a solid fan base. Still, the Hurricanes often fight the battles of an organization located in a smaller, non-traditional market.

By enabling season ticket holders to purchase All-Star Game tickets, the Hurricanes received a financial boost.

"The timing of it was good for us because we missed the playoffs last year and the fact that we host the All-Star Game really helped us increase our season-ticket base," Rutherford said.

Enthusiasm for the game was such that the Hurricanes did not have to conduct a public sale of tickets. Their allotment, approximately 8,000 tickets, went to season-ticket holders and demand has exceeded supply, Warf said.

Normally an anonymous figure, Warf said he recently did an interview on local television. Walking back through the concourse of the RBC Center, he estimated that 40 people stopped him with questions about jerseys and other things.

"People are thirsting for knowledge about every event that's out there," he said. "We're getting hammered (with phone calls). 'How can I get into this? How can I see this?' It's great to see how excited people are. Tickets sales are through the roof for this event. Season-ticket holders have taken up all the events. There are more who want tickets. We never had to go to a public on-sale.

"It's a great testament to the hockey community here in Raleigh."

Just curious, can anyone tell me the face value for the ASG ticket and the Skill ticket? I just want to have an idea how badly I am getting stung by scalpers. Much appreciated.

Lower Bowl for the entire weekend is $260

Skills = $80 All Star game = $180

Upper Bowl for the entire weekend is $200

Skills = $65 All Star game = $135

Good luck :)

"People are thirsting for knowledge about every event that's out there," he said. "We're getting hammered (with phone calls). 'How can I get into this? How can I see this?' It's great to see how excited people are. Tickets sales are through the roof for this event. Season-ticket holders have taken up all the events. There are more who want tickets. We never had to go to a public on-sale.

"It's a great testament to the hockey community here in Raleigh."

I'm probably gonna make some enemies by this post, but I don't know if selling all the tickets for the ASG to just season-ticket holders was the smartest move by the Canes organization - especially if their long-term goal is to try to attract new hockey fans here in NC. It's clear there's an interest in this event by the public, but what type of message is it sending when they're told the event is sold out before tickets could even go on sale?

Then there's folk like myself, who are already big Canes fans but due to different reasons (mostly financial, as in my case), are not season-ticket holders. What type of message is this sending to us, who (many of us, at least) have been Canes fans for years?

Just saying...gtg.gif

I'm probably gonna make some enemies by this post, but I don't know if selling all the tickets for the ASG to just season-ticket holders was the smartest move by the Canes organization - especially if their long-term goal is to try to attract new hockey fans here in NC. It's clear there's an interest in this event by the public, but what type of message is it sending when they're told the event is sold out before tickets could even go on sale?

Then there's folk like myself, who are already big Canes fans but due to different reasons (mostly financial, as in my case), are not season-ticket holders. What type of message is this sending to us, who (many of us, at least) have been Canes fans for years?

Just saying...gtg.gif

Understandable and frustrating for some but the long term goal of any pro sports team is to increase their STH base, its the bread and butter of any organization and is dependable revenue to pay bills. They've made tons of events available to the general public including opportunities to interact with players but the two main events were exclusive to STH's for a reason.

Understandable and frustrating for some but the long term goal of any pro sports team is to increase their STH base, its the bread and butter of any organization and is dependable revenue to pay bills. They've made tons of events available to the general public including opportunities to interact with players but the two main events were exclusive to STH's for a reason.

I think it's a "Catch-22" situation for the Canes organization. You want to definitely take care of your STHs, and make sure every STH who wanted to attend had the option to do so. It's just unfortunate they didn't also have an allotment set aside for the general public (potential future season ticket holders) as well.

After seeing the ticket prices you quoted edzo8, I wouldn't be able to attend anyway, even if I was able to find a ticket but I can always catch it on Versus...oh, that's right, I don't have cable, LOL. :facepalm2:

I think it's a "Catch-22" situation for the Canes organization. You want to definitely take care of your STHs, and make sure every STH who wanted to attend had the option to do so. It's just unfortunate they didn't also have an allotment set aside for the general public (potential future season ticket holders) as well.

They did though. Up until the last home game, they were still offering the opportunity for All Star weekend ticket(s) to anyone who purchased a new STH plan, any plan.

But I do understand your frustration.

Maybe this isn't the place for this post, but here goes anyhow. Question; will I be able to take my camera (digital SLR with detachable lens) into the arena for the events? I see that the rules as established by the current management prohibit cameras. but they seem to have stopped enforcing it over the past few years. But this event is under the direction of the NHL, so I wonder how strictly this will be enforced. Anyone have any info on this? I also have an older point and shoot digital camera I could take if SLRs are banned.

News & Observer's coverage:

http://www.newsobserver.com/allstars/

Friday

3 p.m.: NHL Fan Fair, Raleigh Convention Center, and All-Star Wide Open, Fayetteville Street, opens.

4 p.m.: Meet Carolina Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner, Fan Fair.

4:30 p.m.: Hindu Society of North Carolina and Natya Academy, international dance/music, City Plaza

4:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.: Live music at Martin Street Stage.

5 p.m.: Doors open at Raleigh Amphitheater; Hostess eating contest, City Plaza.

5 p.m. - 10 p.m.: Beer Garden, on Martin Street, west of Fayetteville Street; Heated artisan village, West Davie, local arts and crafts.

5:30 p.m.: All-Star Energy Rally, City Plaza.

5:50 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.: Former Hurricanes defenseman Aaron Ward, RBC Bank Autograph Stage.

6 p.m. -10 p.m.: Live music at Raleigh Amphitheater.

6 p.m.: Flying Ace All-Stars, Aerial tricks by Olympic athletes, City Plaza.

7 p.m.: Hostess eating contest, City Plaza.

7:30 p.m.: Flying Ace All-Stars, Aerial tricks by Olympic athletes, City Plaza.

8 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.: NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft, Raleigh Convention Center, ticket required (TV: Versus).

8:30 p.m.: Three Doors Down, Raleigh Amphitheater.

9 p.m.: Flying Ace All-Stars, Aerial tricks by Olympic athletes, City Plaza.

9:30 p.m.: Brazilian Association of the Triangle, international dance/music, City Plaza.

10 p.m.: NHL Fan Fair closes, fireworks being at Raleigh Amphitheater.

10:30 p.m.: All-Star Wide Open closes.

Saturday

9 a.m.: NHL All-Star 5K, RBC Center.

10 a.m.: NHL Fan Fair, All-Star Wide Open and Raleigh Amphitheater opens.

10:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.: Tampa Bay Lightning center Steven Stamkos, RBC Bank Autograph Stage.

11 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.: Live music at Raleigh Amphitheater and Martin Street Stage.

Noon - 1 p.m.: Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner, RBC Bank Autograph Stage.

Noon - 5 p.m.: Heated artisan village, West Davie, local arts and crafts.

Noon - 7 p.m.: Beer garden, on Martin Street, west of Fayetteville Street.

1 p.m.: Flying Ace All-Stars, Aerial tricks by Olympic athletes, City Plaza.

1 p.m. - 3 p.m.: Youth Hockey Clinic, with Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner, Hall of Famer Grant Fuhr, former Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette and Toronto president/general manager Brian Burke, RecZone.

1:30 p.m.: Hostess eating contest, City Plaza.

2 p.m.: Meet Edmonton Oilers rookie Taylor Hall, Fan Fair; Nippon Club Taiko Drummer, international music, City Plaza

2:30 p.m.: Flying Ace All-Stars, Aerial tricks by Olympic athletes, City Plaza.

3 p.m. - 4 p.m.: Former Hurricanes center Rod Brind'Amour, RBC Bank Autograph Stage.

3 p.m.: All-Star Adrenaline Rally, City Plaza

3:30 p.m.: Hostess eating contest, City Plaza.

4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.: Player red carpet arrivals, RBC Center, lawn across from Carter-Finley Stadium.

4:30 p.m.: Flying Ace All-Stars, Aerial tricks by Olympic athletes, City Plaza.

5 p.m.: All-Star EnergyWave Rally, City Plaza.

6 p.m.: Holy Trinity Greek Dancers, City Plaza.

7 p.m.: NHL Fan Fair and All-Star Wide Open closes.

7 p.m. - 9 p.m.: NHL SuperSkills, RBC Center (TV: Versus).

Sunday

10 a.m.: NHL Fan Fair opens.

3 p.m.: NHL Fan Fair closes.

4 p.m.: NHL All-Star Game, RBC Center (TV: Versus).

2011 NHL All-Star Weekend: How to get around Raleigh

NHL's stars will light up Raleigh

Skinner ready for a busy, 'cool' week

It's shaping up as a busy All-Star week for Canes rookie Jeff Skinner.

Let's see: Canes Corner appearance on Thursday, Fan Fair appearance and the NHL Fantasy Draft on Friday, the NHL SuperSkills competition Saturday and possibly playing in the All-Star Game on Sunday.

Yes, the All-Star Game. There is speculation now the league may replace any injured all-stars with rookies and put them in the big game. As the NHL's leading rookie scorer, and with the game in the RBC Center, Skinner would have to be a leading candidate as a replacement.

"I guess that would be pretty cool," Skinner said today after an off-ice workout at the RecZone. "I guess we'll see what happens. That would be crazy.

"I can remember vividly watching All-Star games as a kid. ... It's so cool, as a young kid and as a fan, seeing all those top-end players in one building. I think it's pretty special. To be a part of it, at such a young age, is pretty cool."

But first things first. The Canes Corner radio show Thursday at the Backyard Bistro has been likened to an appearance by another Canadian teenager, Justin Bieber. Skinner, 18, has quickly made a lot of fans in his rookie season, a lot of them surely being teenage girls, and the Bistro could be packed.

"I think it's a radio show, live, right?" he said. "We had something like that in junior. I'm sure it's not as big as this. Should be interesting, I guess."

As far as the SuperSkills, a smiling Skinner said he has given up on the fastest skater event, saying, "I'm not going to get much faster in the next couple of days."

He said he did ask goalie Justin Peters for some advice on shootout moves but noted, "I don't know that I have good enough hands to do some of the things he's suggesting."

But before the All-Star break there's the matter of trying to win two more games, against the Toronto Maple Leafs and New York Islanders. Skinner was still smarting today from the 3-2 loss in Pittsburgh on Saturday.

Skinner mixed it up with the Pens' Chris Kunitz late in the game. He had dropped the gloves and had a ref not stepped between them, he was clearly ready to fight.

"It was some frustration and emotions," he said. "We were down 3-1 and I think the whole team was frustrated by the way the game went. You get pretty fired up, especially in the heat of the moment."

There is a limited supply of tickets, and while not on the order of demand for Stanley Cup tix, the demand will exceed supply. At first Canes management restricted tix options to full and 26-game holders, they then opened it to 10 game holders. This seems very reasonable.

They did though. Up until the last home game, they were still offering the opportunity for All Star weekend ticket(s) to anyone who purchased a new STH plan, any plan.

But I do understand your frustration.

And this reserve of seats has made for a less pleasant experience for we partial season ticket holders that are behind the reserved sections. In effect, the reserved seats pushed us up a few rows, all season. We've had to watch each game as they tried desperately to sell partial plans with little luck. The tickets then get released at the last minute to random walk ups, and they are not as friendly as your neighborhood fellow STHer. It has definitely affected the experience this year, for the worse. Honestly, I find myself many games swearing at the All Star game.

All ticket operations will say is if we don't like it, then become a full season holder. Sorry, that's not possible.

Edited by wxray1

Maybe this isn't the place for this post, but here goes anyhow. Question; will I be able to take my camera (digital SLR with detachable lens) into the arena for the events? I see that the rules as established by the current management prohibit cameras. but they seem to have stopped enforcing it over the past few years. But this event is under the direction of the NHL, so I wonder how strictly this will be enforced. Anyone have any info on this? I also have an older point and shoot digital camera I could take if SLRs are banned.

I was wondering this same thing myself. The SLR is too much of a hassle to take to a game, but I think it would be great if I could take my little Nikon Coolpix with me.

NHL superstars to share the ice with musical performers, superheroes at the 2011 All-Star Game

All 30 superheroes in The Guardian Project to come to life

By Brian Mansfield, USA TODAY

NEW YORK – Raleigh native Clay Aiken, multi-platinum selling rock band 3 Doors Down and the vocal quartet Canadian Tenors will perform at the 58th NHL® All-Star Game presented by Discover on Sunday, Jan. 30 in Raleigh, N.C. (4 p.m. ET, CBC, RDS, VERSUS, NHL Radio™), the NHL announced today. Aiken and the Canadian Tenors will perform the U.S. and Canadian national anthems, respectively, prior to the start of the game. 3 Doors Down will perform in the first intermission. The second intermission will feature a special on-ice presentation of all 30 superhero characters - each representing an NHL team - from The Guardian Project™.

As part of the pre-game festivities, the NHL will salute U.S. Cpt. Darin Sweet, a U.S. Army Reserve Soldier Hero and recipient of the Purple Heart and Bronze Star with Valor. Cpt. Sweet is assigned to the U.S. Army Civil Affairs & Psychological Operations Command (USACAPOC) at Fort Bragg, N.C.

The 2011 NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover will mark the first time Carolina has hosted NHL All-Star activities. The excitement begins on Friday, Jan. 28 with the NHL All-Star Player Fantasy Draft powered by Cisco and televised live nationwide on TSN in Canada and VERSUS in the U.S. at 8 p.m. ET from NHL Fan Fair™ at the Raleigh Convention Center. On Saturday, Jan. 29, the players will take the ice in the Honda NHL SuperSkills® at the RBC Center. The League's mid-season spectacular concludes with the 58th NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover at the RBC Center on Sunday, Jan. 30. Live television coverage of both nights will be provided by VERSUS in the U.S. and CBC and RDS in Canada, with the Honda SuperSkills® at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday and the 2011 NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday. Fans in Raleigh are encouraged to take part in the festivities at NHL Fan Fair™, a three-day fan festival at the Raleigh Convention Center, January 28-30.

Click here to read entire article.

Edited by DianeNC