The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
BigMiike

All-Star Weekend Info, Articles and Activities

Tailgating!!!!!! Myself and others I know plan on doing some serious tailgating both Saturday and Sunday. With the 5K Saturday morning at the RBC, I'm guessing the parking lot will be open. However, Sunday's game is at 4pm so prime tailgating will be over the lunch hours.

How do we find out if the parking lots will, infact, be open so that us Caniacs can properly demonstrate our tailgating ways for the rest of the NHL? Bettman made a point of mentioning our tailgating at the announcement ceremony last year. To tailgate, we need access (event parking vouchers understood).

Anyone know an official word?

With Skinner receiving his All Star banner last night does that mean he is now officially an ASG Player or still just in the skills competition? I know we are waiting to see if some of the rookies will indeed be promoted.

TSA - do you know if we need a ticket for this? (... and is Chad LaRose doing any type of autograph signing?)

Thanks!

If the RBC autograph booth is part of Fan Fair at the Convention Center you'll need a ticket for admission. If its part of All Star Wide Open, you won't. I haven't seen the break down of what event is where so I have no idea and I've not seen Chad LaRose's name mentioned anywhere.

Tailgating!!!!!! Myself and others I know plan on doing some serious tailgating both Saturday and Sunday. With the 5K Saturday morning at the RBC, I'm guessing the parking lot will be open. However, Sunday's game is at 4pm so prime tailgating will be over the lunch hours.

How do we find out if the parking lots will, infact, be open so that us Caniacs can properly demonstrate our tailgating ways for the rest of the NHL? Bettman made a point of mentioning our tailgating at the announcement ceremony last year. To tailgate, we need access (event parking vouchers understood).

Anyone know an official word?

Details are coming very soon :)

NHL superstars to share the ice with musical performers, superheroes at the 2011 All-Star Game

All 30 superheroes in The Guardian Project to come to life

Monday, 01.24.2011 / 12:02 PM/ 2011 NHL All-Star Game - Presented by Discover NHL.com

NEW YORK – Raleigh native Clay Aiken, multi-platinum selling rock band 3 Doors Down and the vocal quartet Canadian Tenors will perform at the 58th NHL® All-Star Game presented by Discover on Sunday, Jan. 30 in Raleigh, N.C. (4 p.m. ET, CBC, RDS, VERSUS, NHL Radio™), the NHL announced today. Aiken and the Canadian Tenors will perform the U.S. and Canadian national anthems, respectively, prior to the start of the game. 3 Doors Down will perform in the first intermission. The second intermission will feature a special on-ice presentation of all 30 superhero characters - each representing an NHL team - from The Guardian Project™.

As part of the pre-game festivities, the NHL will salute U.S. Cpt. Darin Sweet, a U.S. Army Reserve Soldier Hero and recipient of the Purple Heart and Bronze Star with Valor. Cpt. Sweet is assigned to the U.S. Army Civil Affairs & Psychological Operations Command (USACAPOC) at Fort Bragg, N.C.

Clay Aiken – U.S. national anthem

Clay Aiken, born and raised in Raleigh and a fan of his hometown Carolina Hurricanes, will perform the U.S. anthem. He launched his career on American Idol in 2003, winning over millions of viewers with his phenomenal voice and down-home charm. Aiken's debut album, Measure of A Man (RCA) featured hits "Invisible" and "This is the Night," and has sold more than six million copies worldwide and has earned double-platinum status. He followed that up with the 2004's platinum holiday CD Merry Christmas With Love (RCA), 2006's gold-certified A Thousand Different Ways (RCA), and 2008's On My Way Here (RCA) — all of which debuted in the Top 5 on the Billboard chart. In 2009, he released his fifth studio album Tried and True (Decca), a showcase of Aiken's powerful tenor voice and considerable interpretive gifts.

In addition, Aiken has launched nine live tours, made the New York Times best-seller list by co-authoring the inspirational memoir Learning to Sing: Hearing the Music In Your Life, executive produced and starred in his first TV special, A Clay Aiken Christmas, and has won several American Music and Billboard Music Awards.

Aiken's tour to promote Tried and True will open in Miami on February 10.

Canadian Tenors – Canadian national anthem

The Canadian Tenors' music is an exciting blend of classical and contemporary pop that is thrilling audiences of all ages around the world. The vocal quartet has sold out shows from Africa to Asia and from North America to Europe, including a stop on The Oprah Winfrey Show and performances for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and President Barack Obama. The Tenors have shared the stage with Elton John, David Foster, and Celine Dion and have performed hits from their two platinum selling albums, The Canadian Tenors (Universal / Decca) and The Perfect Gift (Universal / Decca), at the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Olympics and the G20 Summit in Toronto. The Canadian Tenors will record a new album this year.

3 Doors Down – first intermission

Since forming in 1995, the Mississippi rock quintet, 3 Doors Down, has sold more than 15 million albums worldwide, generated seven No.1 hits and has consistently headlined sold-out tours throughout North America. The band has been celebrated within the music community with multiple Grammy nominations and Billboard Awards, numerous American Music Awards, a Blockbuster Award, and multiple BMI Awards including the coveted "Songwriter of the Year."

The band's 2005 release, Seventeen Days (Universal), was its first to debut at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Albums chart. The fourth studio album, 3 Doors Down, is the band's second release to debut at No. 1, as well as its fourth album to reach the Top Ten, and includes the No. 1 Top 40 and No. 1 Mainstream Rock track "It's Not My Time." The band recently claimed three spots on Billboard Magazine's 'End of the Decade' list including the No. 1 mainstream rock track of the decade with the NASA anthem "Kryptonite," followed by "When I'm Gone" at No. 3 and "Loser," from the band's 6 million selling debut album, The Better Life (Universal) coming in at No. 6.

The band's title track from its upcoming fifth studio album, Time of My Life, is currently featured in All-Star Weekend highlight reels.

Unveiling of All 30 Guardian Superhero Characters – second intermission

All 30 superhero characters from The Guardian Project™, each representing an NHL team, will come to life in a special on-ice presentation during the second intermission. Fans in attendance at the RBC Center will get a glimpse of each of the 30 Guardians' individual powers and collective force when all 30 unite for the first time. The unveiling, which will be released in the form of a theatrical style short, will be carried live on VERSUS in the U.S. and CBC and RDS in Canada as part of the broadcast of the NHL All-Star Game (4 pm ET).

The Guardian Project is the latest superhero franchise from Stan Lee, the creative mind behind Spider-Man®, The Incredible Hulk®, X-Men®, The Fantastic Four® and Iron Man® among many others. Created and developed by Lee and Tony Chargin, Executive Vice President of Creative Affairs for Guardian Media Entertainment (GME), and Jake Shapiro, each Guardian superhero character was created from its corresponding NHL team, complete with special powers representative of each team and city.

All 30 superhero characters are being introduced individually in 2-D animation throughout January as part of the Guardian 30 Match-Up – a Facebook application that enables fans to determine the order in which each team's Guardian is unveiled. The campaign, which began December 20, provides a daily spotlight on a different team's Guardian and lays the groundwork for the storyline introduction during the NHL All-Star Weekend.

GME is a partnership between the NHL and SLG Entertainment, LLC, led by Stan Lee (Chairman, POW! Entertainment, LLC). GME will serve as the company responsible for the creation, development and exploitation of The Guardian Project.

2011 NHL All-Star Weekend

The 2011 NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover will mark the first time Carolina has hosted NHL All-Star activities. The excitement begins on Friday, Jan. 28 with the NHL All-Star Player Fantasy Draft powered by Cisco and televised live nationwide on TSN in Canada and VERSUS in the U.S. at 8 p.m. ET from NHL Fan Fair™ at the Raleigh Convention Center. On Saturday, Jan. 29, the players will take the ice in the Honda NHL SuperSkills® at the RBC Center. The League's mid-season spectacular concludes with the 58th NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover at the RBC Center on Sunday, Jan. 30. Live television coverage of both nights will be provided by VERSUS in the U.S. and CBC and RDS in Canada, with the Honda SuperSkills® at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday and the 2011 NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday. Fans in Raleigh are encouraged to take part in the festivities at NHL Fan Fair™, a three-day fan festival at the Raleigh Convention Center, January 28-30.

From Puckdaddy.com: (Pretty funny stuff)

All-Star Draft: Team Lidstrom eyes Cam Ward, talks Crosby injury <---- full article

On Which Team Gets the First Pick

While answering a question about Steven Stamkos(notes), St. Louis let slip that "Staalsy's picking first."Whether this is official or not we haven't confirmed, but according to one of the alternate captains, Team Lidstrom will be selecting second.

On Picking Cam Ward(notes) Before Team Staal Does

Finally, Jussi Jokinen(notes) told Puck Daddy Radio last week that Eric Staal(notes) will select Cam Ward with his first pick. But if that doesn't happen, would Team Lidstrom seek to draft his Carolina Hurricanes teammate before Staal could?

"I know he wants Cam on his team, in front of the home crowd and everything," said Lidstrom.

"It might be a good strategy to take him, take the crowd out of it and get the crowd on our side a little bit. We'll have to wait and see."

Ailing Malkin out of NHL All-Star Game

By Doug Harrison, CBC Sports

Evgeni Malkin will join Pittsburgh Penguins teammate Sidney Crosby on the sidelines for the NHL All-Star Game this Sunday (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 4 p.m. ET). He has missed a week of action with a sinus infection.

Malkin will also miss Pittsburgh's Eastern Conference matchup against the New York Islanders Tuesday night with a sore left knee and sinus infection. Pressure in his head related to the infection has kept the Russian centre off skates.

The 24-year-old Malkin, who was voted to the all-star game by fans, hasn't played for a week but remains third in Penguins scoring with 37 points on 15 goals and 22 assists in 42 contests.

"Evgeni is not healthy enough to return to the ice right now," Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma. "He needs to get healthy before we can move forward with that. Is that during the break, or is that after the break? We don't know that.

"We hope it's soon, maybe within the next week or so, he can think about getting back on the ice again when he's healthy and the pressure in his head subsides."

Crosby is still recovering from a concussion many believe was sustained Jan. 1 at the NHL Winter Classic when he took a blindside hit from Washington's David Steckel. Crosby was checked five days later by Tampa Bay blue-liner Victor Hedman.

The Penguins captain is not completely symptom-free and has not been cleared to begin off-ice workouts.

Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury and defenceman Kris Letang will represent Pittsburgh at the all-star game in Raleigh, N.C.

Edited by DianeNC

TSA - do you know if we need a ticket for this? (... and is Chad LaRose doing any type of autograph signing?)

Thanks!

Autograph signing is part of http://www.nhlallsta...tar-wide-open-2 which is free. No ticket required.

RBC Plaza Autographs from NHL stars on Fayetteville Street outside of RBC Bank. Friday: Aaron Ward 5:30-6:30; Saturday: Tom O'Brien 10:00am - 11:00am; Steven Stamkos 10:30 - 11:30; Jeff Skinner 12:00 - 1:00; Rod Brind'Amour 3:00 - 4:00

Edited by richardfoc

With Skinner receiving his All Star banner last night does that mean he is now officially an ASG Player or still just in the skills competition? I know we are waiting to see if some of the rookies will indeed be promoted.

Skinner has not been promoted to play in the ASG on Sunday. His banner commemorates his participation in the SuperSkills Competition and as such carries that logo. Staal and Ward's banners carry the All Star Game logo.

167527_699443727406_40500308_38903724_4013713_n.jpg

VIP tent for the all-star weekend going up next to carter finley

180446_699444151556_40500308_38903727_2270199_n.jpg

The mural is getting closer to being finished

168764_699444346166_40500308_38903730_5969490_n.jpg

How would you like this guy looking in your window?

From Chip Alexander N&O: John Forslund to host the Skills Competition and Co-host the radio broadcast of the All Star game w/ Aaron Ward

All-Star spotlight finds Hurricanes announcer

RALEIGH -- A few weeks ago, John Forslund had no idea what he'd be doing when the NHL All-Star Game came to the RBC Center. Now, he has no idea when he'll have a free moment.

The Carolina Hurricanes' television play-by-play announcer will take on a starring role this weekend, hosting Saturday's skills competition before going into the broadcast booth Sunday to call the game for Westwood One's national radio feed.

<snip>

Is this what they mean by a hostile working environment?

It would if OV didn't have such a dumbfounded look on his face :lol:

It's official--Skinner added to lineup for All-Star Game! I'm glad they're including details on his stats in comparison to the other guys playing. When looking at his numbers this year head to head with the other guys playing this weekend, Skinner's accomplishments to this point in the season are right in line with guys previously tapped.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/26/945737/skinner-will-play-in-all-star.html

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=550679

Edited by caneswincup

I'm really getting pumped up for this weekend. Ms. G105 and I have tickets to all three days at the Fan Fair, she's taking a day of vacation on Friday, we have our regular seats for both the Skills and the ASG, the weather forecast for the weekend gets better every time I check it, I've been lobbying the Canes staffers for admission to the fantasy draft Friday night (fingers crossed), and now Skinner is in the main event. Life for a Caniac doesn't get much better. :yippee:

Prior to the announcement, TSN.com put forward their *Players to watch All Star Weekend* list. Staal was one of their picks, but interestingly, they added Skinner to their list saying:

Jeff Skinner, F, Carolina Hurricanes

If the league ends up using rookies as late injury replacements, Skinner better get the call first. Like Staal, he'll be a home-crowd favorite. But it's time for everyone to notice just how talented Skinner is. Plus, every teammate raves about the off-ice maturity of the 18-year-old. His 40 points lead all rookies and his 18 goals trail only Staal among Hurricanes players.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/feed/2010-11/nhl-gms-meeting/story/with-the-biggest-star-missing-five-who-could-shine-at-all-star-game#ixzz1C9rhEpWU

I was really bummed when I saw Clay Aiken is our choice for the ntl anthem. Personally I think Katherine should have been our selection.

Sorry to hear you're bummed that Clay Aiken was chosen to sing the National Anthem for the ASG. As I posted previously, if they weren't going to go with Katherine Fritsch, Clay is an excellent choice. Beside's him being able to sing just about anything, he's a Raleigh native (still lives here), as well as a supporter of the Canes, and their Kids and Community foundation as well. :thumbsup:

Congrats to Skinner for getting the opportunity to play in the ASG!! :woohoo:

McBain added for Super Skills

Canes defenseman Jamie McBain has been chosen as one of 12 NHL rookies to participate in the NHL All-Star Weekend.

Earlier today, the NHL announced that Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner has been promoted to the NHL All-Star Game, creating an extra spot for the rookies. In addition, Edmonton rookie Jordan Eberle had to remove himself from rookie participation due to an injury.

McBain, 22, ranks fifth among NHL rookie defensemen in scoring this season with three goals and 14 assists (17 points) in 49 games played. He is tied for fourth among rookie defensemen in assists (14) and is fourth in power-play points (6).

Edited by DianeNC