The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
BigMiike

All-Star Weekend Info, Articles and Activities

I'm really getting pumped up for this weekend. Ms. G105 and I have tickets to all three days at the Fan Fair, she's taking a day of vacation on Friday, we have our regular seats for both the Skills and the ASG, the weather forecast for the weekend gets better every time I check it, I've been lobbying the Canes staffers for admission to the fantasy draft Friday night (fingers crossed), and now Skinner is in the main event. Life for a Caniac doesn't get much better. :yippee:

My dream is to live like this one day... I'm so jealous. Hope you have a good time. :)

I'm sure this type of info is probably posted somewhere, but before I go digging, is anyone aware of the logistics in place in respect to transportation provided from the RBC Center to the events happening in downtown Raleigh and vice versa? Will there be any shuttles running, or something like that? (And was wondering if they will be charging folks to park at the RBC Center for events held there that do no require a ticket?) Thanks!

Stars will be here, but not the biggest

RALEIGH -- If celebrity hunting is high on your to-do list during NHL All-Star Weekend, you may need a backup plan.

According to the league, no big-name celebrities have requested tickets to the game at the RBC Center this weekend, which is typically how most stars get hooked up for these kinds of events.

There's still a chance that celebrities who have relationships with individual teams will go that route for tickets or will buy tickets on the Internet like a regular Joe Hockey. But it's a blow if your All-Star Weekend fantasy involved a chance encounter with Mike Myers or Adam Sandler at the Krispy Kreme.

Nirva Milord, publicity director for the NHL, says plenty of stars show up for NHL playoff games. Recall actors Cuba Gooding Jr. and Tim Robbins at the RBC Center during the Carolina Hurricanes' Stanley Cup run in 2006, or Vince Vaughn wearing the jersey of his beloved Chicago Blackhawks last season.

But the biggest obstacle in getting celebrities to the All-Star Game (apart from Raleigh being 2,500 miles from Hollywood) is the perfect storm of other celebrity events going at the same time, Milord said.

Oscar nominations were announced just this week, keeping many stars busy with interviews and other appearances. Also, the Sundance Film Festival in Utah is going on all week, and the Screen Actors Guild Awards show takes place on game night in Los Angeles.

But that doesn't mean there will be zero star power in town, either. Ellen Pompeo, who plays Meredith Grey on ABC's "Grey's Anatomy," will be in downtown Raleigh briefly Friday to promote the NHL's Hockey for Huggies campaign, a program that helps families who can't afford to buy diapers.

The rock band 3 Doors Down also will be in town to give a free concert Friday night at the Raleigh Amphitheater downtown and will sing at the first intermission of Sunday's All-Star Game.

Triangle favorite Clay Aiken will perform "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the game, and The Canadian Tenors will sing "O Canada."

There's also a good chance you could spy NASCAR racers such as Ryan Newman, Kevin Harvick, Martin Truex Jr. and Regan Smith in the stands, as well as retired professional wrestler Ric "The Nature Boy" Flair. And "Days of Our Lives" actress Natalia Livingston is expected to attend.

But because this weekend is all about the hockey, the biggest stars on hand will be those more comfortable on skates than in limos. The NHL expects former players Willie O'Ree, Pat LaFontaine, Jeremy Roenick and Grant Fuhr, as well as former Hurricanes Aaron Ward, Glen Wesley and Rob Brind'Amour, so have your Sharpies ready just in case.

Bottom line for stargazers: If you spot an overly tanned dandy in a feather boa screaming "Wooooo!" in the stands, that's probably Flair. But that golden-haired looker in the hot dog line? Probably not Kiefer Sutherland.

Staff writer Brooke Cain will be reporting on celebrity sightings this weekend on The News & Observer's CanesNow blog at blogs.newsobserver.com/canes and via Twitter. Follow her at @WarmTV at twitter.com/warmtv and tweet her your celeb sightings.

I'm sure this type of info is probably posted somewhere, but before I go digging, is anyone aware of the logistics in place in respect to transportation provided from the RBC Center to the events happening in downtown Raleigh and vice versa? Will there be any shuttles running, or something like that? (And was wondering if they will be charging folks to park at the RBC Center for events held there that do no require a ticket?) Thanks!

For those with tickets to either the All-Star Game and/or the All-Star SuperSkills Competition, it appears that the Pepsi Caniac Coach will give fans a free bus ride to both events, picking them up from downtown, Glenwood South and North Hills locations.

There's also a little bit of transportation related info here: 2011 NHL All-Star Weekend: How to get around Raleigh

Not sure if this has already been posted, but it appears the official website for the NHL All-Star Wide Open weekend has a lot of info on the free festivities planned.

Look like in addition to the autograph sessions planned with several of the players, there's a ton of other stuff planned including a sledding hill for the kids (and those young at heart!), a beer garden for the adults, mascots on parade, eating contests, concerts, and fireworks on Friday night at 10:00 pm. :ohyeah:

RBC Plaza Autograph Stage

Friday

5:30 to 6:30 - Aaron Ward

Saturday

10:00 to 11:00am - Tom O'Brien

10:30 to 11:30am - Steven Stamkos

12:00 to 1:00 - Jeff Skinner

1:30 - 2:30 - Shane Willis

3:00 to 4:00 - Rod Brind'Amour

RaleighAmphitheater:

Friday

5pm – Doors Open

6:00 to 6:45pm- Zamboni’s

7:15 to 8:00 – Performing Assets

8:30 to 10:00 – 3 Doors Down

10:00 - Fireworks on Fayetteville Street

Saturday

10am – Doors Open

11:00 to 11:45am – Chris Hendricks

12:15 to 1:00pm – Big Daddy Love

1:30 to 2:15pm – Hank Sinatra

2:45 to 3:45pm – Zamboni’s

4:15 to 5:00pm – Airiel Down

5:30 to 6:30pm – Chuck Wicks

Am i correct in assuming the red carpet event on saturday is where they hold front lawn parties? And will it be open to the public?

The RBC Center is truly rolling out the red carpet for All-Star Weekend. Saturday, prior to the Honda NHL SuperSkills, players will arrive at the RBC Center to a red carpet runway.

The red carpet will be set-up around the “front lawn” of the RBC Center. The lawn is located on the south side of the RBC Center, in between the RBC Center’s Time Warner Cable box office and Carter Finley Football Stadium.

The players will arrive at staggered times from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. All will walk and interact with fans and media.

A ticket to the Honda SuperSkills is not required, but standard parking rules will apply. The RBC Center parking lots will open to the general public at Noon on Saturday.

In addition to the Red Carpet, there will be front lawn parties on both Saturday and Sunday. The front lawn party on Saturday will begin at 3:00 p.m. and end at 6:45 p.m. It will include “Static Line,” a rock band from the 82nd Airborne Division in Fort Bragg, food and beverage for purchase and more.

On Sunday, the front lawn party will begin at noon and go until 3:45 p.m. There will be music including DJ George and the Performing Assets. It will also include food and beverage, inflatables and more. On Sunday, parking lots open at 10:30 a.m.

Shane Willis was a fine rookie for us. Sadly he was never the same following the hit he took from Scott Stevens in the playoffs.

Shane Willis.....why?

You've gotta be a real heckuva Caniac to remember Shane.

THE Carolina Hurricanes Chat Room will be open for NHL ALL-STAR events

ALL-STAR GAME DRAFT Friday 1/28 8pm on Versus

ALL-STAR SUPER SKILLS COMPETITION Saturday 1/29 7pm on Versus

NHL ALL-STAR GAME Sunday 1/30 4pm on Versus

Maybe this isn't the place for this post, but here goes anyhow. Question; will I be able to take my camera (digital SLR with detachable lens) into the arena for the events? I see that the rules as established by the current management prohibit cameras. but they seem to have stopped enforcing it over the past few years. But this event is under the direction of the NHL, so I wonder how strictly this will be enforced. Anyone have any info on this? I also have an older point and shoot digital camera I could take if SLRs are banned.

I saw an answer to this question on nhl_canes Twitter feed - the answer is yes, we can take cameras! Here's the link he provided:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=67460

So glad I won't have to rely on my really, really crappy cell phone cam, lol.

Worst timing ever...got food poisoning last night. Had tickets for the fan fair, but not going to be able to go and most likely won't be able to run the 5k tomorrow. Hope this doesn't wreck the entire weekend...

Great crowds at the Fan Fair and LOTS to do. We arrived about 2:30, hoping to get to the press conference with the Commish and PK. The end of the snake-like line wasn't in sight and a staffer told us they had cut off the line. He also told us there was no re-entry to the FF, so before going through the gate we went back out on the street for some refreshments. Then back in the FF about 3:15. The line was even longer. I saw the Commish and PK come walking by. The FF itself was huge. Big crowd, lots to see and do, lots for the kids. Since we couldn't snag a seat for the draft, we headed out about 5:30 for a stroll down Fayetteville Street and all the stuff there, then dinner at a restaurant on the street, then home to watch the draft on TV. Overall, it was great.

I'm still trying to figure out my schedule for the next two days, where to be at what time. There's so much going on at all three venues; Fayetteville Street, Fan Fair, and the RBC Center. Can't be at all places at all times. But it was fun, the crowds were great, and the weather cooperated. This should go down as a very successful AS Weekend.