The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
BigMiike

All-Star Weekend Info, Articles and Activities

Except for Skinner, whom apparently will not be able to walk down the street without getting mugged by 14-18 year old girls. He needs a few years of hockey scars lol :D (nothing too serious of course)

Yes, except for Jeff Skinner :lol:

Except for Skinner, whom apparently will not be able to walk down the street without getting mugged by 14-18 year old girls. He needs a few years of hockey scars lol :D (nothing too serious of course)

"Chicks dig scars."

-- Shane Falco

:lol:

Edited by romansperson

Too many highlights. I think others have covered them. I especially liked the weather (good job, hockey gods) and the free events downtown in wide open. Ya'll come down now, hear?

One not mentioned yet: the 5k. Good weather, a bit cool, but manageable since it was sunny. Great turn out. Lots of money raised. And for just these few days -- like that magical Christmas in WWI -- we put down our weapons and ran together as brothers and friends. Yeah, I'm talking about the fact I was running at the same pace as a pack of Buffalo fans.

While I didn't get to go to the Fantasy Draft or the actual game, I did basically everything that there was to do on Saturday: Fan Fair, Wide Open, the red carpet arrivals, and SuperSkills. I had a great time... it was so cool to see Raleigh be the epicenter of something like it was this past weekend. I definitely feel fortunate that I got to be a part of Raleigh history... and even more fortunate that it happened after I moved here. :)

NHL All-Star Game Proves Success Of Southern Strategy

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:41 AM

Written By: Josh Marks

When the National Hockey League expanded to the southeastern United States, there were many skeptics in traditional northern cities. How can a sport played on a sheet of ice by Yankees, Canucks, Russkies and Nordic people possibly survive and thrive in a market more used to college football and NASCAR?

Well, this past weekend's NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh, North Carolina, showed the hockey world how far the sport has come in this very non-traditional market. Yes, professional ice hockey can succeed south of the Mason-Dixon line.

The Research Triangle and the Carolina Hurricanes organization put on a first-class event. The Caniacs (Carolina fans) were gracious hosts and incredibly respectful of the players gathered in their state. I didn't hear a single boo during the game, even for the players on rival teams like Washington, Atlanta and Tampa Bay. Only loud, enthusiastic cheers for all the participants.

Click here for entire article.

Edited by DianeNC

Ottawa Citizen

Raleigh will be tough all-star act to follow

By Wayne Scanlan, Ottawa CitizenFebruary 1, 2011

Overnight, heavy clouds rolled in to Raleigh-Durham.

The temperature dropped, rain threatened, a light extinguished after the big show -- as if to say, "Party's over, y'all. Go home now."

But what a party it was. When Ottawa plays host to the 2012 NHL All-Star Game, it will have its work cut out. The bar has been raised high by the friendly folks in North Carolina.

"They hosted really well," said Boston Bruins defence-man Zdeno Chara, the former Senator. "Everybody was very nice, so helpful, and the fans were enjoying it."

Chara felt the love. His 105.9-miles per hour slap shot was the Skills event equivalent to baseball's home run derby champ. The RBC Center erupted when fans saw the big number posted by the Big Zee. Anybody seen Chara smile so much in public over a three-day period?

Big dude. Serious dude. But Carolina brought out his lighter side.

Not to be confused with the day-in, day-out, live-and-breathe hockey mentality we know, this was the southern U.S. embracing an event, opening arms, strutting its hospitality. In the local newspaper, the News & Observer, six specialty pages per day were devoted to the all-star event while basketball and football news owned the regular sports pages.

Fans applied their football mentality. In glorious weather, they tailgated. They tossed footballs around in the bright sunshine, dads and sons, across the lot from the stadium of NC State, amid the aroma of hot barbecue.

In downtown Raleigh, traffic was closed to a pedestrian walkway, all around the convention centre, which served as home to Fan Fair and the popular fantasy draft of Friday night. Outside, acrobats soared on trampolines, food tables lined the street, a winter hockey festival mimicking a summer fair.

A visitor couldn't turn around here without someone offering to assist with directions. Too friendly for words. Smiles on so many faces. Hockey, and hockey players, themselves more friendly and accessible than other pro athletes, register with the locals here.

For a franchise that has only existed since 1997, the Carolina Hurricanes have developed a small, but loyal fan base. When they're a winning team, they attract a broader group. With down seasons, crowds drop. Isn't that how it should be -- excellent products rewarded?

Anyone who took in some of the hockey here when the Hurricanes won their first Stanley Cup in 2006 remembers how the fires burned. Reporters still talk about fans standing on their feet for the entire Game 7 between the Hurricanes and Edmonton Oilers.

They were just about as excited on Sunday for a pretty goofy exhibition of hockey that saw their beloved Eric Staal and his team lose by one to Team Lidstrom, 11-10. Friday's up-and-down skills competition dragged on for two-and-a-half hours, but fans didn't seem to mind.

"The base of hockey fans is so strong, so passionate," Chara said. "I know how loud they can be from playing in the playoffs here. It was pretty loud, and they're pretty supportive of their team. Hosting the all-star game, they took it up another level."

Next year, the NHL takes its all-star show to a National Capital Region that has already shown the ability to step up when it counts (think world juniors, the Stanley Cup final, women's worlds etc., Grey Cups, Memorial Cups).

With a deep and knowledgeable base of fans who support an NHL club, two major junior teams, many other junior operations and a vast minor hockey system, Ottawa-Gatineau tabs itself as "Hockey Country." Next year will be another opportunity to shine, as the NHL's most festive event checks in.

Ottawa Senators president Cyril Leeder, along with a large contingent of Ottawa tourism, hotel and convention centre interests, took notes on Raleigh, as they did while in Montreal two years ago.

"You always want to try to be better than the guys before you," Leeder said.

Like Raleigh, Ottawa does not have a central arena, but it can create a downtown focus around the new Convention Centre, the ByWard Market and the Rideau Canal. Raleigh's plus-20 weather Ottawa can't duplicate, nor would it want to as it makes the world's largest skating rink part of the show.

Events themselves may change, depending on the NHL and its players, but expect a repeat of some form of fantasy draft.

"I think the league is committed to that concept," Leeder said, and TV numbers were big. "It was an improvement, I thought it added a little more excitement."

After the game, Ryan Kesler of the Vancouver Canucks said he expects some fine tuning of the draft. Some way to make the last pick less embarrassed?

"Just talking to the PA, I know there's a few things they may change," Kesler said. "I thought the draft went over well with the players, the skills was fun, the new system they had with the relay and everything, and the game was a close game.

And the party was such a blast it will inspire Ottawa to dig deep and match it.

Edited by DianeNC

Thanks DianeNC for all your posts keeping us up to date on the All Star Weekend Events!

I'm glad to do it, Coastal. :thumbsup: Hope you don't mind another one, LOL!

(This one's from the News & Observer, 1/30/11...)

Fans find plenty to do

Edited by DianeNC

Some final numbers from NHL.com:

NHL All-Star sees significant increases in North American TV viewership, sponsorship revenue, merchandise sales and sets all-time single day video starts mark on NHL.com

"By all measures, this was one of the NHL's most successful All-Star weekends ever with fans and our corporate partners embracing the event in a big way," said NHL COO John Collins. "Our hosts in Raleigh did a tremendous job and it was gratifying to see the entire community energized around hockey. Our new innovation, the Player Fantasy Draft, was a huge hit. The Skills Challenge and the All-Star Game saw substantial viewership and digital increases. Without a doubt, All-Star Weekend remains one of the League's most important platforms to celebrate hockey in the host community, promote our best players to a global audience and to provide a pathway for our corporate partners to invest in the sport."

Full article here

My semi-annual request...Please do not copy/paste entire articles from sources other than the NHL (I assume the NHL doesn't mind redistributing their content on sites they own). A few paragraphs is generally considered "fair use" but posting an entire article is violating the owner's copyright. One example from N&O:

Material published on NewsObserver.com, including articles, photos, Content Feeds, graphics, bulletin board postings, audio and video clips, trademarks, service marks, and other content ("Content"), is copyrighted by The News & Observer, or by other information providers who have licensed their content for use on NewsObserver.com. Additionally, the entire Content of NewsObserver.com is protected by copyright as a collective work owned by The News & Observer. You may not reproduce, republish or redistribute Content or any portions thereof, including, without limitation, Content provided by licensors and others, including member-submitted content, without the written consent of the copyright owner.

Some (not me) would argue anything other than a link is too much, which is what they imply.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone. I just see enough ethical/legal violations on a daily basis that I'd like to not see them here too. Thanks.

My semi-annual request...Please do not copy/paste entire articles from sources other than the NHL (I assume the NHL doesn't mind redistributing their content on sites they own). A few paragraphs is generally considered "fair use" but posting an entire article is violating the owner's copyright. One example from N&O:

Some (not me) would argue anything other than a link is too much, which is what they imply.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone. I just see enough ethical/legal violations on a daily basis that I'd like to not see them here too. Thanks.

I've gone ahead and removed the content from the articles I've posted from the N&O, but since I don't recall seeing any similar type of owner's copyright violation for the other blogs/articles I've shared, I'm leaving those as is. If you or any other members have a problem with that, please let the moderators know - they have not expressed any problem with my postings in this thread, in fact, just the opposite.

:facepalm2:

Forum Rules and Guidelines

8. RESPECT COPYRIGHT LAWS

Sharing news items is welcome but you must post a link, or give proper credit in standard news format to the author/source instead of reproducing the entire article. Advertising illegal game feeds that are not authorized by written consent of the NHL infringes copyright laws and is against the rules.

That and if you can read the whole article on here your not going to click the link. Which hurts the author, he's gotta prove he's writing stuff people want to read with hits to his article.

Forum Rules and Guidelines

8. RESPECT COPYRIGHT LAWS

Sharing news items is welcome but you must post a link, or give proper credit in standard news format to the author/source instead of reproducing the entire article. Advertising illegal game feeds that are not authorized by written consent of the NHL infringes copyright laws and is against the rules.

That and if you can read the whole article on here your not going to click the link. Which hurts the author, he's gotta prove he's writing stuff people want to read with hits to his article.

Like I've already posted, if the Mods had a problem with my posts in this thread, I'm assuming one of them would have said something to me (they didn't). I meant well, my intentions were not to hurt the folk who wrote the articles/blogs. Sheesh.

(I already went ahead and removed the content from the N&O articles/blogs, leaving just the link at JLP's request - but last time I checked JLP was not a moderator here on the message board.)

:facepalm2:

All of you make good points but lets end the bickering here.

Its true that in the excitement of All Star weekend we let things slide more than usual in regards to the rules about posting articles from other sources. I'm happy to take the blame for that but JLP's and Legend's points are valid and we need to follow the posted copyright rules so we can keep linking to all these great articles and sources, and they can get the credit they deserve for writing them. Thank you Diane for understanding and quickly modifying any of your posts to comply.

Moving forward, if there are any post concerns that cant be resolved between the members involved, please either report the questionable post or PM any staff member. We have a great group of members who usually don't mind going back and fixing a post if an issue has been brought to their attention.

Thanks, carry on....

In closing, I appreciate all the work and time it took to post all the links to the All Star Weekend events, regardless if some things in the rules were missed, or unintentionally circumvented. Dang you guys can be hard on a gal who isn't lucky enough to attend alot of games and events (she explained that up front), but takes the time to help the rest of us enjoy our time that weekend. Anyway, all's well that ends well, I guess. :thumbsup:

Not sure if this one was ever posted. Final thoughts from the NHL Home Ice crew from XM:

Reflections from Raleigh

Joe Thistel-NHL Home Ice

But the 60 minutes of play paled in comparison to the people and city (and weather) of Raleigh. Listeners came in droves to say hi to Jamie Shalley, Shawn Lavigne and yours truly when we were set up at the brilliant Fan Fair area. We signed autographs, took photographs and generally were blown away by the support we get from the Cainiacs and from hockey fans that travelled significant distances to join the festivities. From that Fan Fair to the red carpet to the skills competition to the game itself, we brought the All Star Game to NHL HOME ICE listeners and got twice as much in return.

Read on...