The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
BigMiike

All-Star Weekend Info, Articles and Activities

Great find, TSA. Another very positive review. Best line in the whole article (from Joe Thistel, NHL HOME ICE):

The five day programming run to Raleigh for the 2011 NHL All Star Game was one of the best experiences of my professional life, and possibly the most rewarding work-related road trip I have ever embarked on. And this is from a guy that has travelled all over North America hundreds of times to cover various sports involving all kinds of pucks, balls, sticks and bats.
Edited by DianeNC

Was at the 5k this morning and they had a great turnout. I have to say that the Friesen 5K is more fun because of the players support but the race went well and John Forslund and his running commentary made it fun. Probably not doing him any justice but here's a few clips:

As a Whaler jersey crossed the finish line "We'll always remember the Whale!"

As a Sabre fan crossed the finish line: "How about that....a Buffalo fan running side by side with a Canes Fan....How about that!"

As a Pittsburgh fan with a Mario jersey on finished: "There goes Mario Lamieux (sp?) with a baby stroller!"

As a Devils fan finished: "And there's the lone Devils fan"

As 2 Canes fans with Red Sox hats finsihed: "Love those hats, this is gonna be our year!" (you know I had to stick this one in :grin: )

My husband and I were the two in Red Sox hats! He's from Bah-ston :)

So, I know this is a shot in the dark but I wonder if anyone recorded/DVR'd/Tivo'd/whatevered the ASG weekend festivities and still has them? We were there for everything but I recorded it all to watch later and re-live the magic :) However, we left for vacay right after and because I record too many freaking shows, the DVR got too full and auto-deleted all the All-Star stuff!

I asked Mike Sundheim if there were any plans for a DVD but he said the NHL owns the material and has never done anything like that before for ASGs.

Anyway, if you have any ASG weekend memories preserved and would be interested in helping a sister out, please oh please send me a PM. Thanks!

My husband and I were the two in Red Sox hats! He's from Bah-ston :)

You guys had a good clip going, nice.

Its official. Raleigh scored a hat trick for the All-Star Game.

News & Observer

The NHL All-Star weekend generated an estimated $11.4 million in direct spending in Raleigh and Wake County,

The bureau also says the weekend produced $49 million in "media value" for the area.

Total attendance figures, including both local and out-of-town attendees, for the weekend's events were estimated to be 138,000.

Its official. Raleigh scored a hat trick for the All-Star Game.

News & Observer

The NHL All-Star weekend generated an estimated $11.4 million in direct spending in Raleigh and Wake County,

The bureau also says the weekend produced $49 million in "media value" for the area.

Total attendance figures, including both local and out-of-town attendees, for the weekend's events were estimated to be 138,000.

Now thats pretty cool.

That's awesome! Did they have an estimate of how much they could make around the time of the announcement? I thought they did but I can't remember. It would be interesting to see if they made more or less than predicted.