The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

Found this at spectorshockey.net..

http://spectorshocke...cember-17-2010/

Just mentions that Joni Pitkanen could be trade bait at or around the trade deadline.. no surprise there..

But it also mentioned further done that the Ducks are way too stacked at the blueline, mentioning that, "Andy Sutton, Paul Mara, Andreas Lilja and Sheldon Brookbank have been recent scratches... Mara and Lilja carry affordable, one-year contracts which could make them easier to move if management opts to go that route."

We have already worked some with Anaheim this year, and I think we could use a bit more help on the blue line..

Edited by Ichigo-1

Well I really hope Pitkanen doesnt go, this team needs a staple on the D. Then again if he is traded that just tells me that he wasnt in our price range. I just hope to see some veteran forwards go soon to get maximum PT for the youngins in Charlotte.

Sooner or later Pitkanen had to be the object of a rumor. He is UFA at the end of the season and he will be looking for a salary increase. I agree with Lyle Richardson's comments in Spector's notes. If we are in a serious playoff position at trade deadline Pit stays and if we are out of the hunt he probable gets shopped. It has nothing to do with his talent but everything to do with salary and the rebuild.

I would really hate to go back to having to find a D-man that can get the puck through the neutral zone. As much as he gaffes in the defensive zone, I remember how much more it sucked when we couldn't even get the puck out of our own zone just prior to his arrival.

Pretty spot on OBXer..

However, if we do make the playoffs, I'm not so sure that we would not consider trading Pits. It's really up to the play of McBain, in my opinion. If McBain is playing well and contributing offensively, which I believe he is starting do, going into the playoffs with Corvo, McBain, and Pitkanen might be an offensive overload on the blue line. This is especially the case when you could argue that we need more scoring upfront. If there is a deal out there to bring in a solid scorer in exchange for Pits, I think JR has to consider it.

Why would a playoff team trade a solid scorer during a playoff run and why would a non-playoff team want a guy who could walk?

Best we'd do for pits at the deadline is maybe 1-2 picks, a guy on the cusp of being NHL ready and another project player with upside.

Hopefully the trade talk about Pits is more than a rumor!!!PLease,please

Let me ask you again, who replaces Pitkanen and takes his minutes? Who does JR find for under $5 million to replace Pitkanen? No one.

I don't for a second doubt that Pitkanen will be traded at the deadline. But to those naysayers who think he's not worth much, I think there's a darn good chance that he is THE most sought after UFA at the deadline. JR will get a VERY good return on him if he can't resign him. Pitkanen will be HIGHLY coveted. mark my words.

Let me ask you again, who replaces Pitkanen and takes his minutes? Who does JR find for under $5 million to replace Pitkanen? No one.

I don't for a second doubt that Pitkanen will be traded at the deadline. But to those naysayers who think he's not worth much, I think there's a darn good chance that he is THE most sought after UFA at the deadline. JR will get a VERY good return on him if he can't resign him. Pitkanen will be HIGHLY coveted. mark my words.

I feel that one of our young guys could be brought up and that maybe we could get that good winger for him to take the pressure off Staal.IMO we need a defensive d-man not anymore offensive d-men. If he is that highly wanted/sought then maybe we can get the winger that we need.

I feel that one of our young guys could be brought up and that maybe we could get that good winger for him to take the pressure off Staal.IMO we need a defensive d-man not anymore offensive d-men. If he is that highly wanted/sought then maybe we can get the winger that we need.

No playoff bound team is going to trade a top line winger for a top pairing defenseman at the deadline. You get picks and or prospects in the juniors or AHL.

No defenseman in the Canes system is ready to step up and start playing 25 minutes a night. Sanguinetti is done for the year, so his development has been stunted. Rodney or Carson are workable as a 3rd pairing stop-gap...and not much else. McBain is slowly showing hints that those limited games last year weren't a fluke, but I wouldn't swap him out for Pitkanen just yet.

I'm not in love with Pitkanen by any means. But he has become the best defenseman on this team, from the day he was brought in here. He's far from perfect, but has been a GREAT fit on this team. He provides great puck movement and passing, can skate with the best of'em, and is defensively sound and responsible, contrary to the weak argument some propose to the contrary. His stats speak for themselves. And if Jr feels he can't sign him for a reasonable amount, he will be forced to move him at the deadline, and he'll get a king's ransom in return. I think Pitkanen will be one of the top 2 or 3 UFAs available...if not #1.

No playoff bound team is going to trade a top line winger for a top pairing defenseman at the deadline. You get picks and or prospects in the juniors or AHL.

No defenseman in the Canes system is ready to step up and start playing 25 minutes a night. Sanguinetti is done for the year, so his development has been stunted. Rodney or Carson are workable as a 3rd pairing stop-gap...and not much else. McBain is slowly showing hints that those limited games last year weren't a fluke, but I wouldn't swap him out for Pitkanen just yet.

I'm not in love with Pitkanen by any means. But he has become the best defenseman on this team, from the day he was brought in here. He's far from perfect, but has been a GREAT fit on this team. He provides great puck movement and passing, can skate with the best of'em, and is defensively sound and responsible, contrary to the weak argument some propose to the contrary. His stats speak for themselves. And if Jr feels he can't sign him for a reasonable amount, he will be forced to move him at the deadline, and he'll get a king's ransom in return. I think Pitkanen will be one of the top 2 or 3 UFAs available...if not #1.

Who says it has to be a playoff bound team(@this point in the season)it could be someone that has very complimentary wingers that just don't have good chemistry together. I am no scout but I know the Canes do have some pro's at this. Eveyone like's to look at Pits stats (that don't take alot of things into consideration) but you watch all the mistakes he makes(being lazy,not hitting,backskating,not shooting,pinching at the wrong times,stupd penalties) just to name a few, just my opinion, he isn't playing up too all the hype on his passing and skating skills. Everyone seems to remember his great pass to Jussi and the few plays like that seem to outweigh the mistakes he makes..Again,,its just my opinion!

No matter how bad you paint Pitkanen as a defenseman in your mind, it does not cover the fact that he is the BEST d-man the Canes have. What's your opinion on Gleason, Corvo and Harrison? I'm eager to know if you're nearly as critical of them as you are Pitkanen? It's been obvious for a while that you are one of a few people on this forum who absolutely hate Pitkanen. But unless you can back up your "opinion" with facts, you really just come across as a hater. Tim Gleason makes plenty of mistakes each night. Yet he's very overrated by 90% of the Canes fans. He's portrayed a a big mean, tough, stay at home d-man who clobbers people night after night. I can count Tim's big hits the season on one hand and have fingers left over. Is he soft? I can distinctly remember a few plays where Tim's bad positioning was the direct reason a goal was scored. His +/- isn't that good, and he rarely scores a point. Do you hate him?

The Hurricanes, with 10 players who can become unrestricted free agents at the end of the season

and these are? and how many/who are the RFAs?

UFAs

Erik Cole

Sergei Samsonov

Jussi Jokinen

Chad LaRose

Pat Dwyer

Ryan Carter

Joni Pitkanen

Ian White

Jay Harrison

Bryan Rodney

RFAs

Brandon Sutter

Jiri Tlusty

Troy Bodie

Brett Sutter

Brett Carson

Bobby Sanguinetti

Justin Pogge

No, they can all be replaced. But dollars to donuts JR resigns Cole and/or LaRose. Again.

they may be "fan favorites" but I believe that better players can be had for the same dollars

they may be "fan favorites" but I believe that better players can be had for the same dollars

No doubt.

But JR doesn't always use common sense when resigning players. He overpaid for both Cole and LaRose the last time they wanted to test the FA waters.

I think them being "Staal's boys" played a HUGE part in them being brought back.

The only one I'd really try to keep is Jussi. The true rebuild can actually happen next year. Clear some of that salary. Bring up the youngsters and use all that cap room to add one top line winger and shore up the defense.

I'd still trade Cole or Samsonov now if there were any value to be had. I think at least Sammy's been shopped, but the right deal never materialized.

We have too many third liners. With all of our talent in the AHL, we have enough guys who can play on the third line cheap already.

Dwyer, Cole, Sammy, and LaRose are all third liners.

Keep Jussi.