The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

well, the only time you can believe it is when it comes from the front office, and then its a flip a coin bull kind of thing until the deal is made and announced. but this is fun :-)

I don't know what's more fun, the anticipating and guessing what might be or seeing rumors fly like fact around the internet faster than the speed of light. I just heard someone actually upset about us trading for Dumont at work.....yikes, relax.

IMO moving Ian over PITS is not a smart move!! Why trade 2 guys for him and then trade him when he has been one of our most constant d-men..baffles me!!!

Just who would have thunk you would think that? ;)

IMO moving Ian over PITS is not a smart move!! Why trade 2 guys for him and then trade him when he has been one of our most constant d-men..baffles me!!!

That's why I think something else is going on.. Either this move will somehow bring in another Dman, or there is another deal in place. They can't think going down the road with Carson replacing White is going to work.. Maybe White gets dealt for some more scoring depth and Pits gets dealt for a lot of stuff plus a solid Dman.

Just who would have thunk you would think that? ;)

:lol:

Thats it.... I got it! This is all a ploy by JR to get Babchuk back in time for another off season so we can have the great Babchuk debate Part 3 (or 4) to discuss again.

He's making $3 million as a 3rd pairing guy. I agree he's been very solid and pretty consistent, but he isn't playing the minutes to warrant that type of money. While we may not be able to fully replace his play, a relatively cheap call-up could fill a 3rd-pairing spot reasonably.

On a related note, trading White could free up space for a more "big money" type of guy. Everyone talks of trading Pitkanen, but I think picking up another player to pair with him could work as well. I think I saw Komisarek's name come up in speculation (maybe a couple pages ago?) and am intrigued by the possibility. He's woefully underperforming given what he's currently being paid, but he could be a steal at his price if he can find his game again.

I don't know what's more fun, the anticipating and guessing what might be or seeing rumors fly like fact around the internet faster than the speed of light. I just heard someone actually upset about us trading for Dumont at work.....yikes, relax.

That's the good/bad of the internet at work.. "good" you get the info at your fingetips and quick.. "BAD" it doesn't differentiate a 12 year old kid, from an actual Hockey reporter, on the surface.. So unless you dig deeper and check the "source", which unfort many never do, you end up with the JP dumont stuff..

Thats it.... I got it! This is all a ploy by JR to get Babchuk back in time for another off season so we can have the great Babchuk debate Part 3 (or 4) to discuss again.

:bangHead:

Hopefully we never have to go down the Babs road again!!

Plus I really don't remember much of a debate about Babs,,just a negative thread about him!!

or Maybe david "snuggles" tanabe finally over his concussions.. just saying :grin:

key word if... i dont think komisarak is the answer.. but hope a deal , hopefully 2 is made.. kelly goes to bruins, but far as i know, dont know if kaberle still a leaf.. but sweet seeing kessel net 2 against former team..

He's making $3 million as a 3rd pairing guy. I agree he's been very solid and pretty consistent, but he isn't playing the minutes to warrant that type of money. While we may not be able to fully replace his play, a relatively cheap call-up could fill a 3rd-pairing spot reasonably.

On a related note, trading White could free up space for a more "big money" type of guy. Everyone talks of trading Pitkanen, but I think picking up another player to pair with him could work as well. I think I saw Komisarek's name come up in speculation (maybe a couple pages ago?) and am intrigued by the possibility. He's woefully underperforming given what he's currently being paid, but he could be a steal at his price if he can find his game again.

But Pits is making 4/5 million a year and is our worse defenseman, yes he gets alot of ice time but that probably is because he is so highly overpaid. Talk about not getting what you pay for.Plus Pits is considered a top blue-liner for some unknown reason and he should be able to bring in a higher ranked winger..than Ian would..The canes need Ians type of play more than Pits!!again,,JMO

I'll say this - Pits has looked better the past couple of weeks. But I still don't trust him AT ALL defensively.

Also, I don't think we will re-sign him in the offseason. And if we do, I'll be upset if he gets a raise. He doesn't deserve it.

Also, think about all we could get in return for Pits.. ugh...

I'll say this - Pits has looked better the past couple of weeks. But I still don't trust him AT ALL defensively.

Also, I don't think we will re-sign him in the offseason. And if we do, I'll be upset if he gets a raise. He doesn't deserve it.

Please explain..

"if" he isn't good and we shouldn't resign him and he doesn't desrve a raise..

How can we get 'alot" in return for from? It was to be one or the other, he is either s good player we can "get alot in return". or he isn't and we can't get much

While Pits is not your Gleason-type of defenseman, he is very solid. He's a big guy, he's still relatively young (later 20s) and he is better at getting the puck out of our zone than others I could name. He's an OFFENSIVE defenseman, and like so many of them, he's much better with the puck than without it. He's not the typical blue-collar going down on the ice to stop a shot kind of guy.

I get that.

But there's no way that this team is better if Pits is traded, because you can't get similar value in return. Not right now. The teams that have a top line d-man aren't trading them, certainly not for a guy who is a UFA this year. One, the playoff-bound teams know that to get him they have to give up something critical to their playoff hopes and two, the non-playoff teams likely won't re-sign him.

Someone earlier said that if we're 12 points out of a playoff spot, then Pits is on the block. I agree with that. But we're not. We're in the hunt, and Pits is our best d-man. Not sure where all the hate is coming from. His +/- is 0, which is far better than Gleason's -10 and Corvo's -8.

Do I wish he was more physical? Yes. Do I wish he'd shoot more? Absolutely.

Maybe the best thing for Pits is to pair him with a guy who can knock some heads. I realize we tried that with Aaron Ward last year and it was a disaster, but I think that's because Ward was already done and had been living in Chara's shadow for the previous couple of seasons.

I think that we're keeping him, and I'm going to wager that JR at least takes a stab at re-signing him, hoping for a bit of a home-town discount.

Edited by witchking-ch1

He has a terrific offensive upside. I think Pits would be excellent on a very defensively solid team. That's not us. Have you not seen the endless amount of mistakes he has made this year?

Patrice Bergeron did not practice today supposedly for "maintenance" day, but will travel on road trip. Isn't this a guy that JR liked, and is a young center that would make sense now that Chris Kelly has joined the B's?

Has this been covered already (if so I apologize since this thread is pretty active)?

Also, why wouldn't Toronto want White, where he was well received by the crowd on the Canes recent visit. If they move Kaberle they'll need a blueliner. Speculation, but could a Canes/Leafs/Bruins deal be in the works?

Have you not seen the endless amount of mistakes he has made this year?

Who....Gleason?

You REALLY need to take off the "hate" blinders. It's not only clouding your judgement, it's just getting downright silly.

Just to throw out my own little wish here: Do you think Washington would let go of Laich? We could send Samsonov the other way with maybe a 4th round pick. Both are UFAs with Sammy only making .5 million more. We get a 3rd line center that allows Sutter to stay on the 2nd.

He has a terrific offensive upside. I think Pits would be excellent on a very defensively solid team. That's not us. Have you not seen the endless amount of mistakes he has made this year?

and that's why we need him for the "O"- "D" man.. has he made mistakes? of course, but I think you are being hyper-critcal in the mistakes, and again if he was that bad, you aren't getting much for a 'endless line of mistakes"d-man, don't ya think?

We do need "D" help, I agree 100% , but getting rid of a puck moving "D" that can pass is just giving us another hole that needs filling. Rather keep him and get a defensive "D" man added to team

Who....Gleason?

You REALLY need to take off the "hate" blinders. It's not only clouding your judgement, it's just getting downright silly.

Yeah, Gleason hasn't had the best year of his career. But come on, guy.. Have you really not seen how soft Pits is? Do you really think Gleason has made more defensive mistakes than Pitkanen? Because THAT would be "downright silly."

i know im not supposed to mention it, but reading a lot of these comments, we are needing a 3rd line center. didnt we have a really good one? think his name was cullen or something like that.