The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

None of the forwards who are UFAs (or RFAs for that matter) are on pace to score 20+ goals this year. I certainly can understand JR's frustration; I feel it too. Other than Staal and Skinner, who the heck is going to step up and put the puck in the net? This collection of 3rd liners is not playing up... they are playing like 3rd liners. When we went to the ECF a couple years ago, we had guys stepping up to make plays and score goals (Exhibit A: Jokinen). The Canes have always been a team built on having guys play beyond their means... having guys who would normally be 3rd liners somewhere else play up to 2nd line here.

I think JR is sending a message: step up or I'll find someone who can.

Great to see Boychuk and Dalpe making the most of their time, trying to secure a spot. It *should* push some of these other guys.

I think Cole is a 30-40 point guy who has likely secured sort of a mentor figure for guys like Skinner, Boychuk, etc. I think he stays but he likely needs to consider another pay cut unless he finds a scoring groove in the 2nd half of the season. Sammy's gone. LaRose could be brought back for various reasons, but there won't be a raise unless he finds a scoring groove as well.

None of the forwards who are UFAs (or RFAs for that matter) are on pace to score 20+ goals this year. I certainly can understand JR's frustration; I feel it too. Other than Staal and Skinner, who the heck is going to step up and put the puck in the net? This collection of 3rd liners is not playing up... they are playing like 3rd liners. When we went to the ECF a couple years ago, we had guys stepping up to make plays and score goals (Exhibit A: Jokinen). The Canes have always been a team built on having guys play beyond their means... having guys who would normally be 3rd liners somewhere else play up to 2nd line here.

I think JR is sending a message: step up or I'll find someone who can.

Great to see Boychuk and Dalpe making the most of their time, trying to secure a spot. It *should* push some of these other guys.

I think Cole is a 30-40 point guy who has likely secured sort of a mentor figure for guys like Skinner, Boychuk, etc. I think he stays but he likely needs to consider another pay cut unless he finds a scoring groove in the 2nd half of the season. Sammy's gone. LaRose could be brought back for various reasons, but there won't be a raise unless he finds a scoring groove as well.

I would point out that while Jussi's goals are down, he has been seriously playmaking. He leads the teams (tied with Staal) in assists, despite 3 fewer games and some 4th line time.

I have been down on Cole's productivity, mainly because he just looks so darned capable of more, but I would much rather have Cole than Sammy or LaRose or Dwyer, especially if he were a third liner.

Fun with numbers:

Zac Boychuck is on a 30 goal pace if projected over 82 games.

Dalpe is on an 18 goal pace, despite nearly all time on the 4th line.

These guys (and Tlusty IMHO) are the future. It is time to get them on the ice.

Of course, it'd be much easier for JR to make the necessary move if he didn't have an imaginary salary cap to go along with the real one...especially given that we actually have nine million dollars to spend, if our owner wasn't a cheapskate.

Ek says San Jose wants Pitkanen but we wanted to send Gleason along with him.

Since we'd be sending two of our top 4, who would we be getting back? :lol:

That would be a pretty blockbuster trade. Not really JR's style. It would have to be some serious defense or a top winger coming back. Hard to imagine.

That would have been a jaw dropper of a trade.I don't buy both Pitkanen and Gleason. I guess you never know. Ek has been known to be wrong before.

I wouldn't mind Penner, Jim....I mean if your a +1 on the Oilers of all teams you can't be bad.

I have zero interest in Arnott. Maybe 6 years ago.

Here's something from The Fourth Period.

http://www.thefourth...op25/index.html

Supposedly the Hurricanes are interested in Dustin Penner and Jim Vandermeer (both Edmonton)

and Jason Arnott (New Jersey).

I don't really see the need for Arnott unless you're looking for veteran playoff experience. Which is overrated.

Penner and Vandermeer are OK, but there are others who do the same things better.

Dustin Penner fits exactly the type of player JR goes after. I have no idea where he'd fit in (I have a feeling who would go to make room) but I'd like this pick up if we're still in the hunt.

I don't know too much about Vandermeer but just say no to Jason Arnott. The youth are getting it done here.

Yeah, I love Penner.. Big guy that scores goals.

I also found this - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/503926-the-mike-commodore-situation-something-doesnt-add-up

This article discusses the possibility of teams that Commodore could end up on. Carolina is one of them. If he is sent through re-entry waivers, half of his salary would be around $1.75 - I think.

Some people would welcome the robe-wearing, red-afro defenseman, others would hate it.

Yeah, I love Penner.. Big guy that scores goals.

I also found this - http://bleacherrepor...g-doesnt-add-up

This article discusses the possibility of teams that Commodore could end up on. Carolina is one of them. If he is sent through re-entry waivers, half of his salary would be around $1.75 - I think.

Some people would welcome the robe-wearing, red-afro defenseman, others would hate it.

We all know from past experience that you can never have too many defenseman for the playoffs but I'm just not sure there won't be a better option out there if we're in the hunt.

Mike Commodore has cleared waivers and has now been officially assigned to the Springfield AHL team ( tho it doesn't sound like he's made the trip there yet ).

His $3.75M per year salary is way over his true pay rate, but at the re-entry rate of $1.875 would JR make a pitch at bringing back the red head and his bathrobe ?

Here's a link more info ..... http://www.foxsportsohio.com/01/10/11/Where-will-Commodore-end-up/landing_bluejackets.html?blockID=388804&feedID=3725

Edited by ynotagain

Mike Commodore has cleared waivers and has now been officially assigned to the Springfield AHL team ( tho it doesn't sound like he's made the trip there yet ).

His $3.75M per year salary is way over his true pay rate, but at the re-entry rate of $1.875 would JR make a pitch at bringing back the red head and his bathrobe ?

Here's a link more info ..... http://www.foxsportsohio.com/01/10/11/Where-will-Commodore-end-up/landing_bluejackets.html?blockID=388804&feedID=3725

I think Harrison is this year's Commodore.

I'd rather have Harrison in the long run, at least he can skate faster then 2 mph. Commodore is like watching a snail in a airplane race.

I think Harrison is this year's Commodore.

Not sure how you meant that statement----but I see no comparison. Harrison has a

one year, reasonably priced contract. While many questioned the team keeping him

in Raleigh, and questioned his defensive skills, I think we have been pleasantly surprised

at his steadiness of performance and his contribution. I think he carried his weight during

Pit's injury and has rounded out to be a reliable 5-6 defenceman. His game has steadily

improved this year and his "conditioning" has never been an issue.

What is the comparison to Commodore?

Not sure how you meant that statement----but I see no comparison. Harrison has a

one year, reasonably priced contract. While many questioned the team keeping him

in Raleigh, and questioned his defensive skills, I think we have been pleasantly surprised

at his steadiness of performance and his contribution. I think he carried his weight during

Pit's injury and has rounded out to be a reliable 5-6 defenceman. His game has steadily

improved this year and his "conditioning" has never been an issue.

What is the comparison to Commodore?

I basically meant exactly what you just said. Why would we sign Commodore for $1.7m (his re-entry fee to us) when we have a Commodore-comparable guy (Harrison) on D already, for about half the price? In other words, we don't need Commodore any more, we already have one of him. :-)

I think the talk about Penner is interesting. I suspect that when JR tore into the guys in the locker room, such talk was likely sparked. Since then, Ruutu and Cole have been putting up numbers. They're both playing great. Jussi came off the injured list and put up 3 points in his first game back. With both Jussi and Cole in contract years, the obvious question is whether both of them would be back next year, so do you get equal return on a deal for Penner? Or do you make a move on Penner with the assumption that he replaces a LaRose or Dwyer in the top 9?

Either way the return could be tough to swallow. I can't imagine Edmonton wanting any of our vets, especially those in the last year of their contract. Which means to pull the trigger here we're likely talking about prospects. Samson is tearing it up in Charlotte but didn't do much at the NHL level last year. With all the wingers we have, is it possible that we'll deal a prospect or two to get another mid-level scoring threat on the wing for the big club? I say it's possible.

Yes to Dustin Penner. The guy put up 32 goals playing on easily the worst team in the league last year. Further he was +6 on a -57 team!

He's in his prime, he's huge 6'4" 245. Really seems to good to be true. I'd give up any prospect over 18 years old for him. Given Edmonton's situation, they'd probably want a prospect, a pick, plus.

What a pickup that would be though. If that move were done right, it could jump us considerably ahead of plan.

I've said for two+ years that I'd like to see Penner in a Canes sweater. He really seems like the kind of guy who could benefit from playing in a more media friendly town. And the Canes haven't had a hoss of a winger in years.

I'd gladly sent two former Oilers BACK to Edmonton for him....take your pick out of these three:

Cole, Pitkanen, Samsonov.

Edited by TheBigKahuna

Edmonton fans would be pissed if they got Cole or Pitkanen back. Both under achieved there. If I remember correctly, Samsonov was pretty good for them in the 2006 playoffs. I'm pretty sure Edmonton would want some young guns like a Bowman, Carson, and a pick.

I dont think Edmonton fans had enough time to hate him, I remember Edmonton fans being mad all they got was Cole for him. Philly fans however were very unimpressed with Joni and happy to unload him.

I agree the last folks Edmonton wants to see are Cole or Pits. More likely then not neither one of them have any interest in playing for Edmonton anyway and wouldn't resign with them.

Edited by legend-1