The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

Same thing happened with Wallin, only have him traded like a week later, so my guess is he is still on the block for a trade, just maybe not today.

I wouldn't count on Carson just being a fill-in until a trade is completed. If JR and Mo feel he is up to it, he could well be up for the rest of the season which means JR could likely go after a forward.

Question is where he'll go, if it's only for a draft pick and what else we might have to give up especially if JR is going after a legit top 6 forward.

I like the idea that he might only go after a draft pick for now. It would give him a little more time to look at all the other teams and shuffle his draft picks around to get us a worth while player who can really help us without risking the future.

Disagree, would not all feel comfortable with BOTH carson and mcbain for the playoff's and going with Corvo/pitts, and gleason/mcbain and then harrison/carson.. that 3rd paring will hurt alot.. we need more experiene

You're losing me. What part don't you disagree with? That Carson could be staying? JR might go for a forward or might just try to get a draft pick for now? That he might use the pick later to get another player elsewhere?

I missed most of this on again, off again, maybe on again speculation this afternoon. It sure was fun and interesting reading all the posts. I still think something is in the works but just not sure what.

You're losing me. What part don't you disagree with? That Carson could be staying? JR might go for a forward or might just try to get a draft pick for now? That he might use the pick later to get another player elsewhere?

disagree if we let white go, we would go the rest of year carson for a playoff run and playoff's and not make a move to get a vet "D" man for the playoffs

Edited by canes-in-7

disagree if we let white go, we would go the rest of year carson for a playoff run and playoff's and not make a move to get a vet "D" man for the playoffs

I don't think Carson would be that much of a risk. He looked pretty reliable in his 54 games with us last year, had 2 goals 10 assists and was a +5. No points in 8 games with us this year but he is a +4. Not all that bad for a "kid" who makes 2.4 mil less than White.

With trades approaching I wish JR would construct a team that reflects a different game philosophy. I don't like the one we have, and perhaps that is why I dislike Pitkanen - but shouldn't.

I see the Canes for 25-30 minutes (at least) as playing with 4 forwards and one defender (though Joni's position is defenseman). He carries the puck, handles the offensive zone well, and is similar to a high forward looking to assist. However, in the defensive zone he seldom hits, doesn't clear the crease, doesn't use his body to block shots, but instead pokes the stick out most times. McBain is mini Joni, too.

IMO, the STYLE of play the team advocates, and Joni is simply playing his role, leads to too many goals. They're proud of being top 10 in league scoring, but for what? I'm not blaming Joni, but readily admit I don't like the style of play from a defender.

I pray that JR starts transforming this team and provides Ward with what he deserves, and that includes obtaining and moving defenders immediately.

Sorry, to say but I see this team finishing between 7th-12th. If we stand pat at the trade deadline that will likely lead to a 9th or 10th place finish.

I do not want to see us mortgage the future to finish 7th, or 8th just to see us get knock out in the first round by Philly, or Boston. So, I would not trade one young player, or pick to help out this year's team.

Instead, & this opinion might be unpopular, but I would continue the re-build & trade any & all UFA for picks & prospects. Then bring up the kids from Charlotte for the end of the season. If we happen to finish 8th then great, but think of the future, not the present. We have an opportunity to be good for many years!!! Look at Washington, Chicago, & Pittsburgh, who all went young & built it up over a few years.

I don't think our D, or special teams are good enough to win in the playoffs. I hope that I'm proven wrong, but that is my opinion.

I said this all summer on this board, "it doesn't matter how many goals you score if your net is full of pucks. This defense, and defensive philosopy we have will lead to a 10th to 12th place finish." My preseason prediction is looking too good again. I don't think plugging in parts and pieces to shore up this defense is gonna work.

I have always agreed with most of what Manwolf advocates. We need a whole new philosophy on defense if we expect to run and gun up front.

If they give Zherdev away for peanuts I would take him.

Why? He is a little whiny wimp with decent hands that can't fit in anywhere. The last thing we need is a needy player who can't fit in easily. Just my .02

Manwolf/coastal...I've been in the same boat with you. Have been preaching D all year, and most of last year. I was happy they brought in White (had wanted him since his Toronto days) but then they stick him with the enigma that is Joni and that didn't work out so they bury him on the third with Harrison. Can't break up Corvo-Gleason, OK. Except now they have, and they put Gleason with McBain. Why they never tried White with Gleason I wish I knew. Changes made last year/over the summer weren't enough. Hope they will be this year.

Rocheccw, I mostly agree with your philosophy of don't sell out the future for the present. While it would be nice to have a little playoff experience, it's not worth giving up too many resources. I only differ on the UFAs...I would only move those we don't intend to re-sign. This notion of "we can always re-sign them later" is one that rarely happens. But I would definitely consider making a move at the deadline to improve the team for the future if the price and return are right.

Last night Mo had Corvo and Pits paired, and that combo has failed miserably every time he does it. They MIGHT be serviceable on the powerplay, but 5 on 5, that's an accident waiting to happen. A true, stay at home guy paired with Pits, and keeping Gleason paired with Corvo, would go a long ways to shoring up this hole on defense.

Last night Mo had Corvo and Pits paired, and that combo has failed miserably every time he does it. They MIGHT be serviceable on the powerplay, but 5 on 5, that's an accident waiting to happen. A true, stay at home guy paired with Pits, and keeping Gleason paired with Corvo, would go a long ways to shoring up this hole on defense.

While I agree with you, it does have to be the "right" stay at home D-man. We tried that with Aaron Ward last year and it failed.

I'm still kinda hoping this rumored trade is White to Toronto, Kaberle to Boston, Stuart to Carolina. White was popular in Toronto and they seem to be turning over their team quite a bit, Kabs has been sought by Boston for a while and we would be getting a solid stay-at-home, big D-man to try out with Pits. Stuart is making $1.6m and is a UFA, so if he doesn't work out, then we can choose not to re-sign him. If he does work out with Pits, then JR can re-sign the two of them and we'll have our top pair for the next 3-4 years.

According to CSN, the Kaberle to Boston deal is pretty much done but they're just waiting for Boston to clear the room for him.

TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger reported Thursday that a deal between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins for defenseman Tomas Kaberle is close to being finalized. Dregger reported the trade will most likely will not be completed today since the teams haven't ironed out the details and Boston needs to make some moves to free up cap space on their roster which Dregger says could take a few day.

Dreger also reports that since Boston's acquisition of Chris Kelly, Blake Wheeler has become a likely target due to his $2.2 million salary.

Full article here

Could this be whats holding JR up? Note to Chip: Do not run with this, its just food for thought.

Oh and........ BREAKING NEWS from Chip Alexander

Ian White IS at practice today!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

I would love Blake Wheeler here. What do you guys think it would take? They don't want any salary coming back.. so how high of a pick would it take?

Also, Ian White is at practice today.

What is strange to me is every time we get a stay at home d-man the Canes turn around and trade him or not resign him. (ex, Alberts, Pothier-sp?,Sieds,White(maybe),Wallin,Pickard) just to name a few. So it has to be more what the organization and staff that want the European style of play instead of the stay at home hard nosed defense!

Edited by djharley