The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

Spector's Hockey indicates the Toronto Sun is reporting:

I don't see it but you never know

Well, I highly doubt he goes back to tampa - no cap room. And I'm pretty sure the Rangers would have to move out Gaborik before they brought on Richards; besides, I think they are looking to bolster their blueline more than anything else

I still think the team that could fit both our needs of top line winger and a top 4 D man is Edmonton. I dont know what a package of Hemsky and Vandermeer would require. On top of that those two would raise our salary next season by about 7-8 mil (Hemsky is due 4.1 mil) The team salary will already go up next season with having to re-sign Pits, Sutter, and Jokinen. We'll lose about 3.2 million in salary (take away Sammys 2.5, 750k from kaberle buyout and Cole will prolly drop about 400k and be about Sammys salary level). Its going to take about 4 million to re-sign those Jokinen, Sutter, and Pits. Can PK afford another 8.5 million in salary?

Prolly to get those three

Its going to take

Chad Larose

Sanguinetti

Boychuk/Osala

San Jose Pick

Our first (this or next)

To get Hemsky and Vandemeer???????????? OMG I hope not!!!!!!

:pb:

Ok so Im thinking Vandemeer is going to require Sanguinetti and the 2nd rounder

Hemsky is going to take Boychuk/Osala and 1st rounder at a minimum.

Do we really think we will re-sign Larose? If not put him in there just for cap purposes and give EDM a winger that can play now.

I guess to each their own. I would not make either of those deals. Way too much for those guys.

how much do you think a top 4 Dman that is 30 and a 27 year old first line winger that is still under contract for a year is going to cost to get?

how much do you think a top 4 Dman that is 30 and a 27 year old first line winger that is still under contract for a year is going to cost to get?

My point is that I rather get different guys that fit that mold than those 2.

looking at the limited amount of teams that are selling who do you think our targets could be?

I would like to see us get Stephen Weiss. Rumors have him back in play. he comes with a high salary 4 mil the next two years. It would probable mean we would need to let Joni walk at the end of the season. But I think he would help our playoff chances this year. I don't see it happening but just saying.

From Eklund so take it for what it is worth...

The Hurricanes...

It was confirmed to me that yesterday's moves were indeed set up moves. The Canes have their eye on something bigger. By the way, the Canes did an amazing job honouring Rod Brind 'amour last night.

I read on Spector's board, mostly fan talk that when Vancouver was listed as a potential partner, Stegoucci was listed as a candidate. He's underperformed since a breakout year and sounds like the perfect guy JR would go after.

From Eklund so take it for what it is worth...

The Hurricanes...

It was confirmed to me that yesterday's moves were indeed set up moves. The Canes have their eye on something bigger. By the way, the Canes did an amazing job honouring Rod Brind 'amour last night.

I read on Spector's board, mostly fan talk that when Vancouver was listed as a potential partner, Stegoucci was listed as a candidate. He's underperformed since a breakout year and sounds like the perfect guy JR would go after.

He only had a breakout year because he was on a line with Joe Thornton, and Joe Thornton made Cheechoo look good.

TSN's list of players "in play" coming up to the deadline...the list includes Corvo and Pitkanen for us. The only 2 players on this list that I can see as legit candidates for our roster would be Voracek or Penner, everyone else is too old. Voracek is 21 6'2" and 213 lbs, had 19G last year, 11G and 27A this year, is a plus 8 and is supposed to play a solid 2 way game as well. Penner is 28, bigger (slower?), more points (20 and 37 this year) but a -10 on the year and...he seems to take nights off and is not very responsible definsively, which will not suit us at all. Voracek for Samsonov or LaRose, plus a prosepct seems very doable.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=37673

Edited by Law-Dawg

We need a top 6 forward or a shut down defenseman that we can extend past this year. Either one those would put us in the playoffs IMO. I wouldn't mind parting with one of Boychuck/Dalpe and Bowman if it came down to it. Our NHL club is young enough. Based on the talk so far it seems like JR might be gunning for that top 6 forward, I just hope we don't over pay for someone who's more of a 2nd/3rd liner than a 1st/2nd liner.

Another move I wouldn't mind seeing if we don't get that forward or d-man is to get a 3rd line center like Cullen was for us, that would allow Sutter to focus more on the offensive side of his game.

Another move I wouldn't mind seeing if we don't get that forward or d-man is to get a 3rd line center like Cullen was for us, that would allow Sutter to focus more on the offensive side of his game.

As long as that 3rd line center comes cheaper than Cullen. IMO, Cullen isn't making third line money.

Vandemeer is not the answer. This guy has moved around A LOT. I don't know who here called him a Top 4 D-Man, but he isn't. He average 17 minutes a game, but he isn't worth a piece of The Canes' future and a draft pick.

Corvo isn't moving, and Pitkanen is only moving if A: The Canes fall out of the playoff picture or B: JR can get a whopping return for him (isn't likely since it's a contract year). I do think JR wants to use San Jose's pick in a future move though, only time will tell.

Every year we have these pipe dreams of getting a top line winger, or a top 6 forward period, and every year we have to wake up. Maybe one year it'll happen.

TSN's list of players "in play" coming up to the deadline...the list includes Corvo and Pitkanen for us. The only 2 players on this list that I can see as legit candidates for our roster would be Voracek or Penner, everyone else is too old. Voracek is 21 6'2" and 213 lbs, had 19G last year, 11G and 27A this year, is a plus 8 and is supposed to play a solid 2 way game as well. Penner is 28, bigger (slower?), more points (20 and 37 this year) but a -10 on the year and...he seems to take nights off and is not very responsible definsively, which will not suit us at all. Voracek for Samsonov or LaRose, plus a prosepct seems very doable.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=37673

Penner is a lazy streaker, don't want him.

TSNBobMcKenzie: DAL trades James Neal and Matt Niskanen to PIT for Alex Goligoski.

Dangit, I kinda wanted Niskanen..

And Dallas overpaid for Goligoski, imo.

We are running out of possible dmen for JR to pick up..

TSNBobMcKenzie: DAL trades James Neal and Matt Niskanen to PIT for Alex Goligoski.

Dangit, I kinda wanted Niskanen..

And Dallas overpaid for Goligoski, imo.

We are running out of possible dmen for JR to pick up..

Niskanen was the whipping boy of the Stars fanbase for a few years, but we'll see.

As long as that 3rd line center comes cheaper than Cullen. IMO, Cullen isn't making third line money.

Vandemeer is not the answer. This guy has moved around A LOT. I don't know who here called him a Top 4 D-Man, but he isn't. He average 17 minutes a game, but he isn't worth a piece of The Canes' future and a draft pick.

Corvo isn't moving, and Pitkanen is only moving if A: The Canes fall out of the playoff picture or B: JR can get a whopping return for him (isn't likely since it's a contract year). I do think JR wants to use San Jose's pick in a future move though, only time will tell.

Every year we have these pipe dreams of getting a top line winger, or a top 6 forward period, and every year we have to wake up. Maybe one year it'll happen.

We did it twice in 2006.

We did it twice in 2006.

Yes, and The Canes were near the top of the conference standings, not on the bottom of the playoff pile. That team was a much more "complete" team. JR doesn't make that kind of move when the team is in a situation like they are right now. Closest thing was getting Hedican and Adams, and picking up Sean Hill in 01-02...

I would compare more recently the Stillman/Commodore for Eaves/Corvo deadline trade in 08 - swapping two pending UFAs for two players who had time left on contracts but struggled with Ottawa recently while both teams were pushing for the playoffs. In 09, there was the Jokinen for Brookbank/Melichar trade (moved two borderline guys for a guy who struggled in the regular season but was a playoff star), and closer to the deadline the Williams for Cole trade (salary dump/injured player to bring back a player JR hated to trade in the first place). So JR does have a history of making moves, but they are relatively non-aggressive and low risk, not big name players, and sometimes make a difference but sometimes don't. The general trend is he takes other teams underachievers and we send ours and/or expiring UFAs, sometimes with a low-round pick.

These compare since we were in a similar position now as in 08 and 09 (08 we were actually 3rd most of the season since we led the division but overall we were 7th/8th, until the end that none of us want to relive).