The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

i dont want to see gleason or cole go, both playing well, sure, wouldnt mind giving up prospects, if they would do it.. they are young, and can get younger[mean the oilers]

I don't think we are going to give up Dalpe. I could see us offering Bowman instead. As far as Ian White, the Oilers will most likely be sellers. Would they want to bring someone in on a one year deal worth $3.5, or however much it is? And I think I could be argued that White is one of our most solid D men. I think that would be too much to give up.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25/

Along with the two Oilers, it now is rumored that we may be interested in Mike Fisher..

While I'd love Fisher in a Canes uniform (his wife, Carrie Underwood, would be here more), this is one of those that I don't think would make much sense. Yes, a veteran center could bring experience, but it looks as if we're trying to go young at the position. We're also listed as being interested in Jason Arnott (another veteran center), so maybe JR changed his mind (I hope not). I know they're just rumors, but I can't see why we'd want those guys (especially at their current salaries).

Tim Panaccio from CSNPhilly.com is suggesting the Flyers waived Matt Walker to clear space for Erik Cole.

http://www.csnphilly.com/01/27/11/Flyers-waive-Walker-could-set-table-for-/landing_flyers.html?blockID=399069&feedID=704

Sources say, if the Carolina Hurricanes, who have gotten themselves back into the playoff picture, decide to become “sellers” instead of “buyers” at the deadline, the Flyers would take a shot at trading for Erik Cole.

Cole, these sources said, sits among the top of the Flyers’ wish list.

Earlier this month, the Flyers tried to work a deal with New Jersey to secure Jamie Langenbrunner. Devils’ GM Lou Lamoriello traded Langenbrunner to Dallas even though the Flyers offered two draft picks to the Stars’ one conditional pick.

I guess this counts as a rumor concerning a 'Canes player: my husband just got a tweet saying that apparently it is quite the scene at Backyard Bistro - Canes Corner with Jeff Skinner. A girl in the crowd just asked him to prom! :rofl:

More on Cole from philly.com: Flyers targeting Cole

The Flyers placed defenseman Matt Walker on waivers Thursday, and the $1.7 million that will come off the books will give them about $3.6 million in acquisition space.

In other words, enough to acquire Carolina's Erik Cole, a 32-year-old winger who has 13 goals and 13 assists this season.

Cole, who played for cpach Peter Laviolette when the Hurricanes won the 2006 Stanley Cup, is a player who would fit in well with the Flyers. He can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but his $2.9 million salary-cap hit would also fit this year.

I think we will probably hear more rumors like this with the Lavi connection. But this makes no sense for the Canes. The lines up front are relatively stable and producing. Cole would leave a massive hole and I doubt they could/would give us anyone back to fill it.

Tim Panaccio from CSNPhilly.com is suggesting the Flyers waived Matt Walker to clear space for Erik Cole.

Of all the rumors I have seen this season (haven't been that many) this one makes sense. I would hate it, I like Cole and I think he makes the Canes better. But the Canes need to make room for forwards and if your a playoff bound team looking for help and if your looking at the Canes and you can't have our untouchables who would you look at, Ruutu and Cole . We would get a good prospect(s) in return for Cole and Philly would get a veteran forward that would fit that system very well. I could see Lavi wanting Cole. I'm hoping we don't want to let him go.

Edited by OBXer

I guess this counts as a rumor concerning a 'Canes player: my husband just got a tweet saying that apparently it is quite the scene at Backyard Bistro - Canes Corner with Jeff Skinner. A girl in the crowd just asked him to prom! :rofl:

I heard this same thing on the 6 pm news - film at 11! Poor guy ...

"Sorry coach, I can't play this weekend, I've got a date to the prom."

:blink::rofl:

Really brings home how young he is!

it does. wow. makes me feel old. i just went and dug up my prom picture. long hair down to my butt and my date was a hot goth girl. i didn't live at home(my girlfriends dad LOVED that, lol), so i had to go to my moms house so that she could get a picture. that picture is the only one that survived.

skinner should go to a prom (though how at least someone in the crowd not recognizing him would be nigh impossible) just to be around people his own age for a change.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Hampering Bowman’s trade efforts is his limited salary cap space, meaning any deal would have to be almost dollar-for-dollar at this point. Pitkanen and Hamrlik aren’t likely to be available as the Hurricanes and Canadiens are battling for playoff berths, but McCabe and Phillips could be available provided they’re willing to waive their “no-movement” clauses.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Hampering Bowman’s trade efforts is his limited salary cap space, meaning any deal would have to be almost dollar-for-dollar at this point. Pitkanen and Hamrlik aren’t likely to be available as the Hurricanes and Canadiens are battling for playoff berths, but McCabe and Phillips could be available provided they’re willing to waive their “no-movement” clauses.

Hence the "?"

Hence the "?"

Well don't ask a question if you don't want responses. Here's mine: Reporter reports another reporter mentions Joni's name as a potential UFA. Yeah OK. Spector pretty much closed the door on that one.

2/15/11- updated list of trades made for trade value and reference:

1.tampa acquires dwayne roloson from Islanders for "D" Ty Wishart

2. Ducks acquire D Nate Guenin from Columbus for F Trevor Smith

3.Dallas acquire F Jamie Langenbrunner from devils for Conditional 3rd-Round Pick

4.Rangers acquire F Wojtek Wolski from Pheonix for D Michal Rozsival

5. Sharks acquire F Ben Eager from atlanta for 5th-Round Pick

6. Ducks acquire Francois Beauchemin D Toronto Leafs in exchange for forward Joffrey Lupul and defenseman Jake Gardiner and a Anaheim's fourth-round pick in the 2013 Entry Draft.

7. islanders acquire G Al Montoya from pheonix for 6th-Round Pick (2011)

8.chicago acquires F Michael Frolik and

G Alexander Salak from florida for F Jack Skille andF Hugh Jessiman and F David Pacan

9. san jose acquires F Patrick Davis

C Mike Swift from devils for C Steve Zalewski and D Jay Leach

10. Nashvile acquires C mike fisher from ottawa for a 2011 #1 and 20102 conditional pick

11. Flyers acquire F kris versteeg from Toronto for a 2011 #1 and #3

12.Boston acquires F Chris kelly from ottawa 2nd-Round Pick (2011)

The canes could really use another top "D" man for a playoff push and move the rest to their natural #3-#6 positions and reading that BOTH chris phillips in ottawa and the 'good" kaberle, is willing to waive his no trade clause to a playoff contender.. which is these 2 "D" man would you like to see brought in for a playoff run?

kaberle has 30 points( 2 g's 28 a's) avg 21 min a night and is 32 years old and 6'1 215

Phillips has only 3 points but big physical presence we have missed at 6'3'' 220 and 32 years old also

Edited by canes-in-7

well iread that, a site not sure u can mention other hockey sites out here?? let me know gang, anyways, love kaberle.. but at what cost?? burke wants to wheel and deal..

well iread that, a site not sure u can mention other hockey sites out here?? let me know gang, anyways, love kaberle.. but at what cost?? burke wants to wheel and deal..

probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder should do it... they get zip if keep him

So you want Chris Phillips who is -23 this year? That should really bolster the ole defense.

Secondly, you don't want Thomas Kaberle based on name. Of all the reasons in the world you pick that because Frank didn't work out obviously Thomas wouldn't. Not age, not salary, but name.