The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

Hopefully Staal's injury isn't one where he'll miss more than just this game. I would be comfortable with Stillman-Jokinen-Cole first line for one game.

If he is out for a while, then yeah - maybe we should bring in another center... unless, of course, they think someone in Charlotte is ready to step up in the center position.

I don't see anyone from Charlotte ready for big minutes at center. Ruutu played with Cole and Stillman last night after Staal left. Maybe this will help break up the monstrosity that was Ruutu/Skinner/LaRose, if there is a bright side to the whole thing.

Hopefully Staal's injury isn't one where he'll miss more than just this game. I would be comfortable with Stillman-Jokinen-Cole first line for one game.

If he is out for a while, then yeah - maybe we should bring in another center... unless, of course, they think someone in Charlotte is ready to step up in the center position.

The problem now is that there are not too many centers that play big minutes on other teams that are reasonably available. Brad Richards of the Stars, nope. RJ Umberger of the Blue Jackets, nope. Andy McDonald of the Blues, maybe Mike Riberio but he's older and doesn't score that much.

Ruutu, Jokinen, Sutter, Dwyer, Skinner. This is where that versatility pays off. JR will not make a panic move.

Let's hope Staal is just out for a short time and that he is OK.

If Staal is out long term then we are either done, or will have to make it through the call up strategy. There is no way to replace Staal. The guy is #10 in the league in points for crying out loud. This team is average with Staal. Without Staal there is no way that JR goes out and tries to buy a top guy if it were even possible. If Staal goes down, we re-juggle and try to gut it out with youth and determination, and the chip on the shoulder thing.

If there is any serious question about Staal's injury keeping him out for a prolonged period, if anything I would think that would inhibit JR from making any short term trades.

Let's hope it's minor.

Where do those occasional posts go that bounce around in some kind of purgatory before finally getting spit back out onto the board? Just wondering.

Hmmm. As soon as I posted this one, the other one popped up just before it, yet posted 24 minutes before? These things keep me up at night. Ok not really, but still.

Edited by remkin

Where do those occasional posts go that bounce around in some kind of purgatory before finally getting spit back out onto the board? Just wondering.

Hmmm. As soon as I posted this one, the other one popped up just before it, yet posted 24 minutes before? These things keep me up at night. Ok not really, but still.

We don't know but its being looked into. Whaler started a thread in the FAQ section addressing this and we need feedback from you guys to pass along to the support staff.

ice_chip - Maurice "hopeful" Staal will play in next game. Says Staal could skate tomorrow on own.

ice_chip - Maurice feels confident Staal did not suffer a concussion.

It sounds like it isn't so serious.. thank goodness

Yeah I'd be shocked if Carson doesn't get claimed. With all the D injuries around the league someones sure to claim him. Don't know if it was attempted or not but I'd almost think he could have been traded for a late round pick.

Joslin is better and made a case for himself last night.

Yes, but that was against an AHL level team. Pens are decimated by injuries. I will be disappointed if they lose Carson just so they don't have a healthy D scratched. The Canes are taking a risk trying to send him back to Charlotte just to save a few bucks.

Hope he makes it through waivers!

Edited by rocheccw

To get up here last week he must have cleared recall waivers (though I never saw it written anywhere). So, he could have been had for 1/2 price then. Makes me think he will likely clear. There are some desperate teams out there though...I see the Canadiens lost Spacek. Hope we can keep him but if not, Joslin replaces him.

James Mirtle - "Given Leafs need depth on defence, wouldn't be worst idea to claim Brett Carson on waivers. Big, young and solid enough for third pairing."

uh oh.. people are catching on..

It would be a shame to lose Carson. We haven't lost him yet. I wonder if this move is part of a bigger plan for a trade in the very near future. Joslin looks like he is ready to play so if we do lose Carson it is just one of those things. I hope we keep him but if not I wish him well. I really like Carson.

To get up here last week he must have cleared recall waivers (though I never saw it written anywhere). So, he could have been had for 1/2 price then. Makes me think he will likely clear. There are some desperate teams out there though...I see the Canadiens lost Spacek. Hope we can keep him but if not, Joslin replaces him.

It doesn't work that way. Carson doesn't have to be put on re-entry waivers to be called up, but he does have to be put on waivers to be sent down. He was an Emergency Recall, and therefore exempt from recall waivers.

Here is a link to a good explanation of how NHL waivers work.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

Interesting post-game banter between Forslund and Tripp last night. Musing about the pending trade deadline their focus was almost entirely on Joni. Tripp says he doubts it, and Forslund didn't take the bait.

While Joni will be UFA after this year, I'd think he's highly sought by other clubs right now. I'm not surprised they focused on Joni since he's the highest profile Canes player becoming UFA at year's end.

We'll know soon enough whether he's staying or not.

Interesting post-game banter between Forslund and Tripp last night. Musing about the pending trade deadline their focus was almost entirely on Joni. Tripp says he doubts it, and Forslund didn't take the bait.

While Joni will be UFA after this year, I'd think he's highly sought by other clubs right now. I'm not surprised they focused on Joni since he's the highest profile Canes player becoming UFA at year's end.

We'll know soon enough whether he's staying or not.

JR would have to find similar value (top-2 D-man) from a playoff bound team, unless the dance partner feels secure they could re-sign Joni. I just don't think we make this deal, but I could be wrong.

Of course, if JR wants to improve the D, he needs to do something. It was interesting to see Joslin and Joni playing together a few times last night. I will say this: we have a very young defense. Joni is only 27 and obviously still learning the game. Is he going to get better between now and his early 30's? One would hope so. Carson, McBain, Joslin, all young guys. Gleason also just turned 28. Corvo is the elder spokesman of the bunch. While we argue about needing to improve the D, I think we could also argue that this unit will improve with experience and time. I wouldn't trade Joni unless we're getting equal value, and I just don't know who trades their top defenseman... a 27 year old at that.

It doesn't work that way. Carson doesn't have to be put on re-entry waivers to be called up, but he does have to be put on waivers to be sent down. He was an Emergency Recall, and therefore exempt from recall waivers.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

Carson was not an Emergency Recall. He was called up when we were trying to finish the trade sending white to san jose.

No, *that's* not how waivers works. On emergency recall you don't have to clear either way, that's the whole point. His last recall wasn't emergency, which is why he has to clear to go back. Either he cleared re-entry last time or he was under the 10 game limit and didn't require waivers...I'd thought he played more than that but it's possible I was wrong and/or the emergency recall games don't count against that number. At any rate, he's on waivers now for sure. :)

As for trading Joni...that only happens if JR gets a huge return or if he doesn't plan to re-sign him. At this point I think he stays and JR is looking for someone to fit in next to him at the right price. The real question is McBain...is he going to be a top 4 player, and if so how long will it take for him to get there. Might be interesting to see them try Harrison next to Joni for a few games and see if he is ready for that next step. He's made huge progress this year.

Sure, any time before tomorrow at 3pm. Need to get on the phone w/ NHL offices to make it happen officially though, not sure if they stay open over the weekend just for this or not.