The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

Great News about Staal!

However, it is obvious that he had a concussion. It may seem like a conspiracy theory since the NHL hates to admit these things, but let me explain.

First, concussions come in many levels. The mildest concussion is just seeing stars and momentary cobwebs. But follow this quote from the N&O blog:

General manager Jim Rutherford said Staal, who missed Saturday's game in Montreal with an upper-body injury, was having testing done today and will follow up again tomorrow. Staal took a big hit from Pittsburgh's Matt Niskanen in the second period of Friday's game at the RBC Center.

"Eric has had conversations with a couple of people and is feeling pretty good," Rutherford said. "We'll have the testing today and tomorrow and see what happens. We'll have a better understanding after that.

"That was a pretty good check (by Niskanen). The doctors will check all areas but the biggest thing obviously is making sure the head area is OK."

So lets walk through the events and that quote:

First Staal takes a blow...to the head. (There is no laceration so that's not the issue). Second, Staal delays a few seconds then goes to the ice and lays face down. Then, Staal leaves the game immediately not to return. Then he is not allowed to fly with the team the next day.

Now the quote:

JR says Staal is having THE testing done. The testing is being done every day. Hmmm. Concussion is about the only thing they test daily.

The testing involves serial conversations with people. Doesn't sound like a facial fracture or a lost tooth.

The injury is in THE HEAD AREA.

If Staal took a blow to the head and had no concussion he would have played the next game at the least, and probably back in that same game.

There really is no other feasible injury to the head area that would be tested and followed like this. Any other injury to the head injury serious enough to keep him out a game would have been handled differently.

Thus: concussion.

Edit: Just for clarification, the medical issue is not if Staal had a concussion, but the GRADE of concussion. With low grade concussions the player can return. Though when is controversial to this day.

Edited by remkin

LeBrun reports Calgary claims Carson...sorry to see him go. Didn't think he'd get claimed.

Edit: remkin, not to get technical on you but you can have a head injury w/o having a concussion...

Edited by JLP

would have liked to see Carson hang around here a bit longer and show what he got.

with the Dman needs out there, we knew someone would claim him. JR should have tried to get a lower pick or farm body for him.

Carson should have never been on Waivers. What would it had cost to keep him up the rest of the year. There goes part of our youth movement for nothing. At least we get first dibs if Calgary tries to send him down to the AHL.

Dumb move JR!!! :mad:

Carson should have never been on Waivers. What would it had cost to keep him up the rest of the year. There goes part of our youth movement for nothing. At least we get first dibs if Calgary tries to send him down to the AHL.

Dumb move JR!!! :mad:

I get that Carson continued to be the odd man out here. He's not top-4 potential, he struggled in his limited minutes (IMO). He wasn't going to get enough ice time. We have a couple other guys in Charlotte (Rodney, Borer) who can serve the same purpose Carson was serving.

All that being said, why the heck doesn't JR get at least a low-round pick for him instead of losing him on waivers? Baffling that Carson wasn't worth anything, but Calgary willing to grab him on waivers.

Staal on the ice today.. best news of the day

PaulBranecky - Patrick Dwyer wearing defenseman's jersey. Not sure what that's about.

er?

Real_ESPNLeBrun - Canes GM Jim Rutherford via email says Eric Staal a game-day decision tomorrow

ice_chip - Pitkanen at practice

JUST HEARD AN INTERVIEW WITH MO ON FB AND HE SAID THAT STAAL IS READY TO GO AND WILL BE PLAYING TOMORROW NITE

Well now that we are pretty sure Staal's concussion is minor, the remaining move is a defenseman or nothing.

Time's a wasting!

Thanks for the diagnosis, Dr. House. Edit: Forget my emoticon. :lol:

Edited by coastal_caniac

good news about eric.. saw picture of cooke just standing there, didnt lean over or anything when eric went down , hes a punk.. pieere mcguire says a blockbuster could be coming... but everyone thinks it will be between la-edmonton with hemsky or penner.. i like to get smid.. hes only at 1.5 a year..

Chip just posted an article on the N&O blog. Staal should be ready to go tomorrow against the Panthers, good news. I wasn't thrilled to hear that Carson had been claimed by the Flames. With Carson gone JR is definitely going to be active before 3:00 pm. Glad I have off of work today, not so sure I'm going to get much school work done though.

That will be good news if Staal can play tomorrow night.

I hate to see Carson claimed. I thought he might sneak through. Still choices need to be made and we knew the risk.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have traded defenceman Rostislav Klesla to the Phoenix Coyotes for Scottie Upshall and Sami Lepisto/TSN

Uniondale, NY (Sports Network) - The Atlanta Thrashers claimed forward Rob Schremp off waivers from the New York Islanders on Monday.

Edmonton Oilers acquire:

d Kevin Montgomery

Details › Colorado Avalanche acquire:

d Shawn Belle

The Chicago Blackhawks have acquired defeceman Chris Campoli and a conditional 7th round pick from the Ottawa Senators for forward Ryan Potulny and conditional second roudn pick.

Edited by djharley

That's crazy we're going after Allen. I was daydreaming about that in class earlier today. He's big and mean, wonder who he'd play with though?

Paul Branecky has retweeted that Bryan Allen has been traded to the 'Canes...

Edit: You beat me to it jeromeo! Wonder where Allen would play?

Edited by jfive

All I'm seeing is that it was a one for one trade with Samsonov. There has to be a pick or something else involved. What if Samsonov doesn't resign with them next year? If it's just Allen for Samsonov, we definitely won this trade.